Gopher's Minions

How do I do this?

Pedigree Ann

Question

Vortex is telling me  "Amazing Follower Tweaks "horse features" and "follower teleport on weapon draw setting" must be disabled for Convenient Horses to function correctly." I don't have any horses yet so I didn't notice any problems, unless it is causing the CTDs I am getting in the region of the giant camp on the plain near Whiterun.  I am totally clueless about how to proceed. Does our fearless leader have a tutorial about this? 

24 answers to this question

Horse teleport is controlled by Companion teleport. Convenient Horses makes changes to this action. So Convienient Horses is in conflict with the horse tweaks in Amazing Followers and ant other follower teleport mod that affects horses, such as teleport on weapon draw.

I do recall Gopher mentioning some problem when he installed Convenient Horses and I think he removed this mod from his mod list.

Proceed:

The mod allowing "follower teleport on weapon draw setting" is probably a setting in AFT. I have never used this setting so I do not know for sure. Look in the general follower settings that you can access at the bottom of the individual follower’s menu when you interact with them..

Also disable the "horse features" or anything mentioning horses in Amazing Follower Tweaks.

You may have to reinstall Amazing Follower Tweaks to change these settings in the mod.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Would like to try your advice but I can't get my game to load anymore!  Some mod I downloaded suggested that I needed to use something called "Simple DLL Plugin Loader." So I downloaded and renamed this binkw64.dll file as it said to and put where it where it said to put it. Afterward when I started the game, it CTDed after I moved 10 yards or so. Then it became that I couldn't open the game at all. I have deleted everything from that mod but still can't load the game - get error messages like  - "cannot find SkyrimSElauncher.exe"  Well, like I said, mine doesn't have the  .exe at the end but it worked before. My daughter's gone to work now so I can't watch her play the Anniversary edition, as I did earlier in the afternoon, so I'm stuck.

Sorry for laughing. Well, not really.

You should not be experimenting with strange mods when you do not have a really good understanding of the system. Most of the mods on Nexus are Vortex compatible, "Simple DLL Plugin Loader" is a dangerous one if you don't understand it. Stick to Vortex for managing your files -- that includes loading all files used by the game.

What the "Simple DLL Plugin Loader" has done is redefine the locations of your DLL files ... and probably moved them.

You can try clicking directly on SkyrimSElauncher.exe or SkyrimSElauncher. This should launch the game without the Script Extender. Anything using Script Extender files will simply not work, but it will tell you whether or not the game still functions. 

If the game runs, then (after closing the game) try clicking on skse64_loader.exe. This should run the game with Script Extender enabled. If this works then you are good to go. Just put a shortcut on you desktop to run skse64_loader.exe.

If this doesn't work, you may have to reinstall the game from scratch to get all the files put back where they belong. 

In the future, I suggest not installing mods that require you to install strange software.

Thank you. Hubris, you see. I have managed to put in so many things with the help of tutorials (and your help) I thought I knew what I was doing.  From scratch, does that mean I have to download Skyrim again from Steam (which I really don't want to do, because it is now the AE game), or just the SKSE files?  Delete the files associated with SKSE first? I don't want to get this wrong. 

Vortex won't load for me; in the Plugins section for the plugins it says "requires version 1.6.318.0 or greater of Skyrim Special Edition. " Is this the one we can use SKSE64 with? Or is it the AE version? Blast it all, I was just getting used to the CACO changes in the effects of old standby ingredients. And I was just testing mods to get ready for 'Be a Bard' build, not playing a game I cared about.

Edited by Pedigree Ann
New data.

Well, the only way to check if you have to delete the entire game file and start over is to disable all your mods and see if the base game runs properly (no weird glitches).

Considering that you are not an expert programmer,

First go to STEAM / LIBRARY and, in the left hand column listing all your games, left-click on "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition." Right-Click on "Properties;" Right-click on "Local Files." Right -click on "Verify integrity of game files..." This check will take a while. If no problems are found then this is a fail. Something is still wrong but Steam cannot figure out what.

This check may UPDATE all your files automatically.

If this does not work, and does not UPDATE your files ... I suggest simply go to Steam and click on Update. See if this lets you use Vortex. If Vortex likes the new version you can then worry about getting your mods to work.

You will be golden if SkyrimSE runs. SKSE will probably not work, but at least you will be ready when SKSE is fixed.

The expert method:

Vortex is very good at telling you what the problem is. Unfortunately, I do not know if SKSE will run using the current version of SkyrimSE on Steam. I am using the version from August which works fine with Vortex. If Vortex is saying your version is wrong, two things could be happening: Either you have the new Microsoft version which may have problems on Steam and with SKSE and maybe with Vortex as well; Or, you may have overwritten memory and overwritten the version with gibberish. Or, there are numerous other ways to have this fail.

I would start by renaming my SkyrimSE folder (Skyrim Special Edition) to Skyrim Special Edition Old.

Then go into Steam and redownload SkyrinSE. This will put the new copy into a new folder called Skyrim Special Edition.

Then start Vortex and see if Vortex will open SkyrimSE. If it does, then, you know that you have not caused problems with your operating system.

So, if you could get Vortex working with your old file (change your new folder to "Skyrim Special Edition New" and change "Skyrim Special Edition Old" back to Skyrim Special Edition) --- which is unlikely as it does not like your old old version --- then you could disable various mods and try to get everything working again. But, you would have to be an expert programmer and understand exactly what you were doing to make this cobble work.

If this still does not work:

If this does not work then go to your Skyrim Special Edition Folder and delete it. You might want to make a list of all your mods first so you can reinstall them.

Then go to STEAM / LIBRARY and click on the big blue button INSTALL.

Edited by Cryzeteur

To add to what @Cryzeteursaid, once you downloaded the new Skyrim, you be getting the Anniversary Edition and there is a SKSE file out for it already: Preliminary AE build 2.1.1 (runtime 1.6.318) but be aware that not all mods have been updated so some might not be working due to this.

Now, in case you have mods that wont be working on the AE version, there is actually a mod to fix that.  Yes, that's right, as with everything Skyrim/Fallout, there is almost always a mod to fix things, right !  🤣  Anyway, it is called:  Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher, I have personally not used it but heard form others that have and it is working.  You can do as @Cryzeteursaid and make an new folder so you have both versions f you want.  not sure how it will work with vortex though, if it can be redirected to another folder or not.

Lastly, if you not used to mod your game, make sure to read the instructions carefully and take your time so you get all the extra mods that is needed to run it, if there is any, or special steps to take to make sure it working.

Good luck and stay safe ! 🤠

Well, yes, I do do some genealogy for my own family. But my screen name refers to one of my avocations which did lead to some actual paid work and that is the  analysis of Thoroughbred horse pedigrees. I chose to go to grad school in Lexington, Kentucky, because it is in the middle of the largest concentration of Thoroughbred breeders in the country. I published articles in several magazines over the years before my health gave out (3 miscarriages in 18 months was the coup de grace - don't worry, I already had two fine healthy children - we were going for #3). The internet helped me get in touch with other 'pedigree geeks' around the world and those contacts got me a part-time job writing for an international newsletter/magazine. 

And the last time I did any programming, it was with punch cards that had to be read by the main-frame. If I was lucky, I could get the print-out (the wide sheets with sprocket holes on the sides) the same day and find out that I had made one errant key-stroke on one card and had to do it over again. 

Had a thought - I had to have the disk wiped on my computer in July for a repair, and I didn't get back to trying to play Skyrim SE until September. I hadn't had my gamefile backed up on Carbonite (a stupid mistake) so I lost all of my old characters' saves and had to download SE again. It still shows up in my download files. Could I use this to replace the mangled version?

Edited by Pedigree Ann

15 minutes ago, Pedigree Ann said:

Well, yes, I do do some genealogy for my own family.

Well, best of luck. :)

the  analysis of Thoroughbred horse pedigrees. I chose to go to grad school in Lexington, Kentucky, because it is in the middle of the largest concentration of Thoroughbred breeders in the country. I published articles in several magazines over the years

My grandparents on my mother's side were Thoroughbred trainers and worked all over, including Lexington. They also had a race winning descendant of Seabiscuit.

And the last time I did any programming, it was with punch cards that had to be read by the main-frame. If I was lucky, I could get the print-out (the wide sheets with sprocket holes on the sides) the same day and find out that I had made one errant key-stroke on one card and had to do it over again. 

LOL. I learned programming as a computer operator when the only I/O was cards.

1 minute ago, Cryzeteur said:

Thanks @Beuwolf -- I did not know this.

You welcome.  I thought you might not been aware of it since you didn't mention it.  Turns out that Bethesda gave the SKSE team a copy of the AE version two weeks before it was released so they been working hard on it and released the SKSE roughly same time as the AE was dropped.

10 minutes ago, Beuwolf said:

You welcome.  I thought you might not been aware of it since you didn't mention it.  Turns out that Bethesda gave the SKSE team a copy of the AE version two weeks before it was released so they been working hard on it and released the SKSE roughly same time as the AE was dropped.

I just noticed that you also are now a "Minion" publicly, but "Ressurected Minion" on you profile.

On my profile I am "Jack's Gun Shiner"...  which is a promotion over my old title. 

But our titles no longer show on postings. I wonder what broke, or is someone doing a system update?

The game opened for both the Skyrim launcher and for Vortex! And I did not have to get AE - there was an invitation to update on the first screen. Thank you, thank you! Should I add back my mods all at once and get back to my game or add them in slowly?

Oops, didn't work for SKSE64, so my update must have gotten its fixes from AE. So I might as well go whole hog for the new version. Will go thru and check for what mods need SKSE and not add them in. Again, thanks so much.

Edited by Pedigree Ann
Grammar

Beowulf explained how to update SKSE.

Also, even without SKSE, the mods that use SKSE will probably not hurt your game so you do not have to delete them. So just run the game and enjoy.

I just checked skse.silverlock.org 

They have a new skse SE build 2.0.20 (runtime 1.5.97).  It should work fine.

They also have a SkyrimAE build. It should also work fine

Are you running SE or AE?

Edited by Cryzeteur

It will still be called Skyrim Special Edition, look at the update as a DLC.  One way to check without starting Skyrim is to go to the folder.  So wherever you have installed Steam, then Steam / steamapps / common / Skyrim Special Edition.  Once there, right click on the SkyrimSE.exe extension and open Properties, click on the Details tab and most likely it will be saying Product Version 1.6.318.0 which is the AE version.  As mentioned there is a SKSE file out for it, link here for it: Preliminary AE Build 2.1.2 (runtime 1.6.318), just download the 7z archive and follow their instructions.

What you have to check when it comes to your mods is that if anyone requires the Skyrim SEE Engine Fixes [SKSE64] Plugin, those mods will not work for the moment, due to the mod has not been updated and the author wont be updating it themself but there is a post saying that people are looking into updating it but might take weeks or months.

Or you can use the mod I mentioned further up, Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher, which will revert your AE version to the SSE version (and if you do, you can right click on the SkyrimSE.exe again and it should then say Product Version 1.5.97.0.  And if you do that you should be alright to use the mods you having as it is, just go through and make sure the all work properly.  Run LOOT through Vortex and follow the instructions it giving you and you should be good to go.

Just remember go slowly, read the mod descriptions carefully and follow what the author says and you should hopefully be good. :)

18 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

It will still be called Skyrim Special Edition, look at the update as a DLC.  One way to check without starting Skyrim is to go to the folder.  So wherever you have installed Steam, then Steam / steamapps / common / Skyrim Special Edition.  Once there, right click on the SkyrimSE.exe extension and open Properties, click on the Details tab and most likely it will be saying Product Version 1.6.318.0 which is the AE version.  As mentioned there is a SKSE file out for it, link here for it: Preliminary AE Build 2.1.2 (runtime 1.6.318), just download the 7z archive and follow their instructions.

What you have to check when it comes to your mods is that if anyone requires the Skyrim SEE Engine Fixes [SKSE64] Plugin, those mods will not work for the moment, due to the mod has not been updated and the author wont be updating it themself but there is a post saying that people are looking into updating it but might take weeks or months.

Or you can use the mod I mentioned further up, Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher, which will revert your AE version to the SSE version (and if you do, you can right click on the SkyrimSE.exe again and it should then say Product Version 1.5.97.0.  And if you do that you should be alright to use the mods you having as it is, just go through and make sure the all work properly.  Run LOOT through Vortex and follow the instructions it giving you and you should be good to go.

Just remember go slowly, read the mod descriptions carefully and follow what the author says and you should hopefully be good. :)

I did not know you had to look at the version build to tell if it was SE or AE. That is rather inconvenient. 

BTW Do you know what the changes are between SE and AE? Besides the 74 Creation Club mods.  I mean is there any weirdness being introduced? I read rumors that "it is the death of modding." I doubt this is so, but I saw that the CC mods are formatted differently, or something.

Currently I just started a new playthrough. I am a cantankerous strange old Redguard beggar who appeared naked with no gear in the Markarth slums. I ran out of the city and accidentally found a chest with a good sword and some basic armor. I ran from everything until I found a companion. She stands back and watches me get attacked. Not very good as a companion so I went and got Inigo.

Edited by Cryzeteur

@Cryzeteuryeah, since they keep the name Skyrim Special Edition and the Anniversary Edition is just a DLC, you actually have to check the Version Build number to see which one is which.

The only thing I know for sure is that for the free upgrade to the AE you get 4 former CC mods; the Saints and Seducers quest expansion, Rare Curious expansion, Survival Mode and Fishing Skill and related quest.  The DLC for roughly $20 you get all the rest of the CC stuff, so not sure if that makes the DLC to be 70 mods or not, depending where the 4 free falls into the equation. 

Then the following is just what I have read so might have misunderstood things.  There are some changes in how things working between mods and the game engine, not sure what but the SSE Engine Fixes as an example might take weeks, or even months, before they get it sorted.  But then again from what little I seen, seems the SKSE team has taken it upon themself to incoperate that mod into SKSE (as the author of the mod state he is not going to upgrade it for AE, but anyone that want to give it a go is welcome).  So right now some scripts and similar is not working that well, but it's to complicated for me to try and explain since I'm a total n00b in this regard ! 🤣

All in all, I have disabled Steam updates for Skyrim to only update it when I launch it, but if it would be a forced update I do have saved the whole folder elsewhere as well, so can do a copy and paste if needed.  Or use the mod I linked further up that revert the AE changes to you get the SEE version again.  So for time being, I'm on the SSE version as I just started modding the game and might be a while before I even satrt playing it !

Good luck with your new run and yes, Inigo sounds like a better companion then whoever you found !

5 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

All in all, I have disabled Steam updates for Skyrim to only update it when I launch it, but if it would be a forced update I do have saved the whole folder elsewhere as well, so can do a copy and paste if needed.  Or use the mod I linked further up that revert the AE changes to you get the SEE version again.  So for time being, I'm on the SSE version as I just started modding the game and might be a while before I even satrt playing it !

Good luck with your new run and yes, Inigo sounds like a better companion then whoever you found !

Well, I am running Win 11, so I figured I might as well check out AE. I bought the $20 edition and expansion. It took a couple of hours to install a new game (I disabled the old game instead of deleting it). The expansion downloads off your Creation Club Bethesda account on the Bethesda site. That is a problem as the site froze during the download at 86%. Vortex didn't care. Loaded fine, Updated fine, ran fine. I thought it was running smoother for a while, but I began to get stutters inn some places.

I downloaded SKSE-AE and Vortex loaded all my mods with no problem. Ran the game. No problem. Played until everything froze. Microsoft was forcing an update. After my system updated Win 11 I came here to report my findings. I didn't find any problems. Game runs same as it did before the change. 

I should add that I was running some follower mods: Amazing Follower Tweaks and Multiple Follower Framework. at high resolution along with Verdant, Birds, and other mods that increase the strain on the system.

I had a train of 8 followers and one child at home.

This put a strain on my system and the stutters went to freezes.

I had to drop down to three followers and disabled AFT, Birds, and Verdant.

If that doesn't work I will disable MFF and try that.

If that doesn't work I will start disabling the 74 mods I loaded from Creation Club.

4 hours ago, Pedigree Ann said:

"Played until everything froze. Microsoft was forcing an update."  Hate that. Especially just after the game crashed because Steam was forcing an update!!

Yes! It happens at least twice a day. The only thing they usually change are the ads. Really annoying.