Gopher's Minions

Pedigree Ann

Pedigree Ann

Question

pedigreeann

pedigreeann - three messages left on the Vortex tutorial. 

I-rTT1eFZgfEq3sMhwn0cPrbyXqjPSCX7kg5m806
3 days ago (edited) -I apologize for the small script - that's how it came out when I did the copy-and-paste.
I have I downloaded the latest version of Vortex. I have only one game loaded on it , only one profile (a test game), Skyrim SSE. I check that the extension 'Script extender installer' is enabled - yes it is. So I go back to my mod page and NOTHING shows up in the upper right corner where it did in Gopher's example. Is there some step he skipped over? Like something in the settings pages? I never did get SKSE 64 installed the old-fashioned way, even with his tutorial, and it looks like I won't get it again. SOOO FRUSTRATING. Anybody out there in Lexington, KY, who could show me what I am doing wrong? I can tutor in Statistics or Math in trade

Then I tried the second, 'manual' way. Downloaded. dragged it over to drop on the mod page. Vortex seemed to like that, installed, enabled, voila! Fired up game and first thing I see is an announcement that "SKSE64 is not running." SOO clos
I had a computer disaster earlier this year and not all my game files were backed up on Carbonite, so I had to start all over again; games, mods, Vortex, everything. I downloaded version 1.5.97 of SE and checking the SKSE page, that meant I should use version 2.0.20, which I did. Should be no difficulty with them working together, right? But no, "SKSE 64 is not running.

12 answers to this question

I have followed Gopher's tutorial many times and not had any problems as you describe. Maybe you missed a step?

If script extender is loaded it should work but it is only used when SKSE is properly installed. SKSE is pretty simple, but there have been a lot of windows updates recently as Microsoft is transitioning to Win 11 and windows updates cause SKSE to fail. SKSE and windows have to be in sync.

So what to do? Well, I always use the manual installation of SKSE because it is more reliable. Go to  skse.silverlock.org  and download "Current SE build ...): 7z archive. I am not giving the link because it changes as the link in updated. Open the archive and copy it into the Skyrim folder "Drive:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition".

When you open this folder you will see the "SkyrimSELauncher.exe" and the DATA folder. If you don't see this then you are in the wrong place. The files you copy must also include skse64_loader.exe and the SKSE "DATA" folder.

Once that is done, just restart the game and everything should work.

Also, as a test I started my game and I did not get any notification that SKSE was working. However, if SKSE is not working you will get a message that SKSE is not installed.

Tutor in statistics and math? ... Nice thought but I have PhD in Math. Thank you anyway. :)

BTW sorry I missed your previous posts. They did not show up in "new messages."

Also welcome to the forum.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Thank you, I will try to do what you say. (My PhD is in Stats and I was a TA or PTI for a number of years. Sometimes the Math Dept. 'borrowed' us Stats students to teach elementary Calculus. All I have to barter is knowledge for knowledge. Sort of like Hermaeus Mora.) 

THis is what I see in my Skyrim Special Edition folder:

skse64_1_5_97.dll

skse64_2_00_20

skse64_loader     without any .exe (says "application  207KB") 

skse64_readme

skse64_steam_loader.dll

skse64_whatsnew

Interesting experiment! I accidently started skyrim by letting the cursor sit on top of the 'loader' line too long and everything worked exactly as it should. SkyUI came up and I was able to use it to buy and sell. I was even able to manage mods with the interface (although I didn't do much; the fact that I could was enough).  BUT, when I tried to load with either Vortex or steam, I got the dreaded message. Some slip twixt the cup and the lip happening?  

6 hours ago, Pedigree Ann said:

One more question - should I delete all the SKSE-named files that are in various places in my files? To make a clean start?

You can if you want but SKSE files in  the wrong place won't hurt anything. They simply aren't used.

3 hours ago, Pedigree Ann said:

THis is what I see in my Skyrim Special Edition folder:

skse64_1_5_97.dll

skse64_2_00_20

skse64_loader     without any .exe (says "application  207KB") 

skse64_readme

skse64_steam_loader.dll

skse64_whatsnew

Interesting experiment! I accidently started skyrim by letting the cursor sit on top of the 'loader' line too long and everything worked exactly as it should. SkyUI came up and I was able to use it to buy and sell. I was even able to manage mods with the interface (although I didn't do much; the fact that I could was enough).  BUT, when I tried to load with either Vortex or steam, I got the dreaded message. Some slip twixt the cup and the lip happening?  

Use the skse64_loader ...

You can make a shortcut and place it somewhere convenient, like on the desktop...

Steam has problems and although you can start through Vortex, it has to be set up right. skse64_loader is more reliable.  Gopher has a series on using Vortex and explains it all. If you haven't followed Gopher's videos you probably should take a look.

the reason it doesn't have the .exe extension is because you do not have extensions active. No problem.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Many thanks again. So I was sort of doing it right in the first place. Sheesh. Glad I won't have to do this again. (I hope!) I did follow Gopher's videos and apparently had this problem with Vortex from the start, because is never turned out the say he said it should.

Gopher is my hero. I would never have started modding the game (and making it so much more interesting) had it not been for his tutorials. Now maybe I can start thinking about using an ENB. Maybe.

Hate to bother you again, but now my game is Crashing to Desktop with much regularity. Most recently,  I come out of a house in Solitude, buy something from Ma'draan, and get on the carriage (unmodded) for Whiterun. Boom! CTD. All I did since I got SKSE64 running was add a tiny village at the Loreius farm, which is,  by all logic, compatible with everything I have so far activated in my game. To quote Charlie Brown, "Aaaarrrrgh!"

Edited by Pedigree Ann

The new village mods are notorious for crashing your game. I do not run any of them. I do not run open cities either for the same reason.

Quite often the problem is that the developer put too many items in too small an area for your computer to load at once.

Sometimes two mods are incompatible.

Sometimes the developer was not running a clean game and something the mod was using is now missing in your game.

There is always the possibility that something you had installed is now broken by the new mod.

About all you can do is remove the village and see if your game returns to normal.

Thanks again. I don't know any 'deeply into the nuts and bolts' gamers; my son and daughter were my entree to games like Skyrim but my son, the computer wiz, is now married and lives 1000 miles away, busy with his new daughter. My daughter doesn't mod. Never had these kinds of trouble with Commander Keen and Duke Nukem (the original MS-DOS games- the hubby set them up for me). But I was wiz at the original arcade version of Donkey Kong. Fingers arthritic now, brain doesn't work as fast either, so I have to use a controller rather than the mouse-and-keyboard.

Don't feel bad. I  played the original PONG when that was the only game out.

We have several of the older folks around here. It seems people who make the mods we play tend to be a bit older. Gopher often makes reference to his age. But he just feels old. He is somewhere over 40. Anyone born before the home arcade games thinks they are older than the hills. ... Well ,,, some of us are.

I play Elder Scrolls and Fallout because they are a bit laid back. No time tables. No one complains if you spend a week chopping wood. No one dies because you couldn't kill a hoard of warriors who ambush you... except you. And the language is mild. Nothing too offensive. I grew up in a different time when people did not use foul language and games like Mario Bros. just had mushroom enemies.