Gopher's Minions

Here's a game I hope Gopher puts on his LP list. ChernobyLite

OutandBack

12 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I do not know why games about the future seem to have mandatory inclusion of four letter words from our time. It is not realistic. It is just coarse.

Do you mean the use of (Lite) in the title?

If so, I am not sure why they spelled the title with a capital L.

ChernobyLite is a mineral they collect in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 2:15 PM, OutandBack said:

Do you mean the use of (Lite) in the title?

If so, I am not sure why they spelled the title with a capital L.

ChernobyLite is a mineral they collect in the game.

I believe they mean swear words.  And honestly if it's a game about the future of humanity from current times, is absolutely is realistic.  The majority of the words we use nowadays have, or have evolved from words that have, been in use for centuiries already.  There's no reason to think they won't still be around in some form in the future.

On 6/27/2021 at 3:39 AM, TiDinzeo said:

I believe they mean swear words.  And honestly if it's a game about the future of humanity from current times, is absolutely is realistic.  The majority of the words we use nowadays have, or have evolved from words that have, been in use for centuiries already.  There's no reason to think they won't still be around in some form in the future.

I disagree. The swearing I heard as a child in the 1950s was totally different from anything used today. The expressions I used in college in the 1960s were again very different from both today and the '50s. The foul language my grandmother and grandfather used was so different that I did not even understand it was crude. Fads come and go and what is foul today will not be mentioned in 50 years because it will be the language of old people.

On 6/30/2021 at 10:43 PM, Cryzeteur said:

I disagree. The swearing I heard as a child in the 1950s was totally different from anything used today. The expressions I used in college in the 1960s were again very different from both today and the '50s. The foul language my grandmother and grandfather used was so different that I did not even understand it was crude. Fads come and go and what is foul today will not be mentioned in 50 years because it will be the language of old people.

The most common swear words used today have been in use since probably around the middle ages in one form or another.

6 hours ago, TiDinzeo said:

The most common swear words used today have been in use since probably around the middle ages in one form or another.

That is true, but the context was different and for the most part the couple of words you are thinking about were not considered swear words. For example "king's gibbets" was exceptionally crude and is almost never seen because it could get you executed. My mother, a biologist, gave an entire hour lecture on the F-word in the 1980s, showing how ridiculous the use had become during that decade. The use is so common in prisons that whole sentences are composed of nothing but that one word. We had an hour lecture in linguistics on this weirdness. Yes it is still crude, but the overuse is making it lose its crudeness. Today it is a class symbol. When a crude word becomes common people have to resort to something else to still be crude.

BTW Even in the 1950's the F-word was only used as "intercourse." I think the mutation into a swear word was some undercurrent trying to embarrass people.

Edited by Cryzeteur

• 5 weeks later...

Small up date since the full version just came out. I had played the game up to the last mission which was not available and waited for the full release to complete the game. But decided to play a new game in stead since the game is only a 30-50 hour game. I was glad I did the full version is a lot more polished with added features, additional quests, some re-balancing. They also made the game darker in it has a contrast problem. This can be fixed on the gamma setting. I am about 2/3rds thru my second play enjoying the game a lot.

On 6/14/2021 at 7:03 PM, Cryzeteur said:

I do not know why games about the future seem to have mandatory inclusion of four letter words from our time. It is not realistic. It is just coarse.

You are talking about Mikhail, right? You can dismiss him asap and it will not hurt your game. Just dump him and all the bad words will no longer be in your game.

Good to know. It is nice that the company made the language option. Most games either have a lot of swearing or none at all.

I think the only swearing in Skyrim is in the mods, but it is minimal and ignorable.

Now that I know this I might try it. Is it really Open World RPG?

If you want to get an idea if you like this game before buying Christopher Odd has a very good LP going right now. He has about 15 25 minute segments. Unfortunately Mikhail is one of the first you meet so he and all his swearing is in Odd's videos. I wonder if YT demonitizes for LP video's with cussing?

4 hours ago, OutandBack said:

If you want to get an idea if you like this game before buying Christopher Odd has a very good LP going right now. He has about 15 25 minute segments. Unfortunately Mikhail is one of the first you meet so he and all his swearing is in Odd's videos. 

I looked at the first video and you are right -- it looks like a game Gopher might consider as a Let's Play.

It looks interesting.

• 3 weeks later...