Gopher's Minions

The gaming industries benefits and disadvantage's

The gaming industries benefits and disadvantage's

Now, I want to make this clear. This is an honest thread and I mean no one hold back on the gaming industry at all. Upon the benefits and disadvantage's of it as a whole, from it's inception back in the late 50's I believe with pong, right up to right now and what the future might or will hold, by the directions we are heading. What pleasures and horrors you have witnessed, been part of, take part in that harmed or helped the industry, and also the addiction aspect that is real to an extend, but also blown way out of hand over the years. 

The reason I am asking, is because we always have varied opinions and never fully explore them as a whole. An honest view from many of us gamer's within this gaming world we love and hate at the same time. So let us open up and be truthful upon all that I mentioned 

Edited by Sophieskyrim1984

I built my first computer in 1958 and played my first computer game -- PONG -- at the 1962 World's Fair in Seattle. I built an AI machine in 1961 that played TicTacToe. I wrote my first computer game in BASIC in 1965. I have since participated in many Betas. Because of this I tend to think like a developer.

The greatest horror I think is the development of the OS. Many wonderful games have been killed by the demise of the OS. The game engine could be rewritten for the new OSs but usually copyright laws prevent this and the original developers either don't want to invest the effort ($) or have disappeared. Currently, I am worried about Bethesda. I am also worried about the crackdown on copyrights.

Still, there are wonderful things on the horizon as long as nothing upsets the apple cart. (Is that a badly mixed metaphor?) Beyond Skyrim Roscrea, maybe an expansion of BS Cyrodil; next year several new games coming. VR will not die. The equipment will get cheaper and better. Gopher will not die. Gopher will get cheaper and better -- er -- um -- you know what I mean... :)

I don't see the current controversies as likely to harm gaming in the long run.

I concur friend. I started gaming back in 1987 when I got my first gaming system then and I was only 3 years old. Over the years the gaming world has benefited my social connections and my togetherness of people. The downside, for me was my temper and easy to get frustrated and I do not blame gaming on that at all, it was just my nature to think the game was always against me  LOL.

So for me personally, I have my great times and worse times, but over all I feel I have been addicted to gaming for so long, that I did and might prolong my quitting of gaming for  a long time. Yes, I am currently playing Skyrim, but I feel it is an stand in will-power and calmness in my part.

And it is working, I not flirting with the idea of going deep into gaming again on the scale I did, it costed extremely high for me and I spent in the access of £5,000 over a span of 7 years and that was my fault entirely. I blame no other. So yes it has over my life since 3 years old up to this point at 36 years old. Been one hell of an intriguing self blaming journey  

My biggest grip is all the big studios seem to have spies and they all copy one another. IMO just to be safe or they do sequels but they are out of ideas.

Borderland 3 looks like Doom not BL1or2, Doom looks like Rage 2, Rage 2 looks like Wolfenstein not Rage1. All the new games art work are almost identical.

How many games has Gopher played that look just like and pretty much is played the same way as this current vampire game?

I miss games that took chances like Borderlands 1 and then 2 with its heave black outlined artwork. 3!?! sucks in my book.

Bioshock 1 and 2 and again 3 sucked, hell wasn't even under water. Dead Space 1 and 2 and as usual 3 sucked. 

Anyway there is my rant. I hope it adds to the conversation.

I concur friend, I hate how a winning strike of games comes and then the devs give up around the third or fourth game. They know or think that they know we will continue to buy the same games over and over again reskin, or lacking in quality. However their are people who actually keep buying the same franchise over and over again, believing it is better than the last and all it is, is weak making and weak thinking on the devs part 

On 7/13/2020 at 8:40 AM, Sophieskyrim1984 said:

I concur friend, I hate how a winning strike of games comes and then the devs give up around the third or fourth game. They know or think that they know we will continue to buy the same games over and over again reskin, or lacking in quality. However their are people who actually keep buying the same franchise over and over again, believing it is better than the last and all it is, is weak making and weak thinking on the devs part 

If Fallout 4 had looked like Fallout 3 with 4k graphics more NPCs on screen and the same story we played in FO4 it would have been much better to me. What made Borderlands 1 and 2 so special was the unique art work of the game. BL 2 built on 1s stories making them bigger and better. BL3/FO4 threw that all away.

I can agree, but they should have focused more on inventing the wheel so to speak with the series and that goes for other companies as well. The " If not broken don't fix it " saying does fit to those game series's that are unique, but the " If broke, break it more " seems to be the more common and newer saying in the industry right now. 

17 hours ago, Sophieskyrim1984 said:

I can agree, but they should have focused more on inventing the wheel so to speak with the series and that goes for other companies as well. The " If not broken don't fix it " saying does fit to those game series's that are unique, but the " If broke, break it more " seems to be the more common and newer saying in the industry right now. 

You keep tempting me to come to Bethesda's defense. I have explained elsewhere why F76 is what it is and how it is a stepping stone to expand Bethesda's capabilities so that they could fulfill their dreams about what they wanted to do in Elder Scrolls VI. They simply should not have called it Fallout. They should have given it a new name. However, that said, Wastlanders is very close to a Fallout game. They are trying to get it right. 

They stated initially that ESVI was not going to be multiplayer, but I am worried that it is now going to have a multiplayer version and if the game has to be played online they could kill the franchise. The whole attraction of ES gaming is modding.

Edited by Cryzeteur

I am and never will tempt anyone to anyone's defence and sorry if I give that impression. Plus I agree Fallout 76 or any other title that is not the single player experience, should not hold the lore hostage. But over all I am more in belief I want to trust the industry, but I cannot and in my many years and two decades of gaming or more. I am less likely to trust it any more 

2 hours ago, Sophieskyrim1984 said:

but I cannot and in my many years and two decades of gaming or more. I am less likely to trust it any more 

My thought is ... there was a time a gaming studio wanted to make games that blew the minds of it's players (be it the Online group or the Single player).   They pushed it to be different or  deeper story, better graphics.  But somewhere after Skyrim the industry changed, they started looking more at the money and not the WOW factor.    And then the crap hit the fan when games like  Battle Royale  and fortnite  ... massive successes .. showed up,  in D&D we called them dungeon "Slash and dash" , no story, no meaning, just loot and XP.   So then every game has to be MMO or co-opt.    Now it's hard to find a good single player games  (one built for single player).

My only hope now is CP2077 and even that they have plans for a online version.     Frankly I have NO hope for ESVI,  Bethesda has lost it (for the type of games I want to play.)