Anime/Manga Thread

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really enjoyed Flip Flappers  

Oh shoot! Seems that I'll zap this thread into revival. Uh, yeah. So there is an unfamous pidgeon dating simulator and... and there is Hatoful Kareshi for... those who enjoyed the game? A comedy with

The Winter 2017 season is going to be GOOD! Hopefully! 

Posted Images

So I'll start with a cliche by saying what my favourite animes are.

1) Highschool DxD (Because ecchi :3 and Koneko)

2) Dog Days(I like Kemonomimi)

3) Sora no Otoshimono (Same as #1)

4) Clannad (Made me cry, god damn it)

5) Rosario+Vampire (Got me into anime/manga)

6) Strike Witches (WW2 + aliens + upskirts = something I like)

Remind me to post here later, I'll probably forget. Oh, and before [uSER=110]@Jasch[/uSER] says anything, yes, I'm out of character. We have a long list of Anime and Manga we love, will have to post after work :P. Limited to 5 to avoid cramping.

Edit:

Manga:

1 - Psyren

2 - The Breaker

3 - Bleach (Love the idea, hate the main character)

4 - Naruto (Hate the main character with a passion, love the story EXCEPT THE PART WITH KAGUYA. FUCK THAT PART.)

5 - Ao No Exorcist

Anime:

1 - Jormungand

2 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

3 - Sword Art Online

4 - Naruto (I'm a sucker for feels and good fight scenes)

5 - Fairy Tail

Mentions (Anime):

Bleach, A Certain Series (Railgun, Index), Samurai Champloo, Kill La Kill.

1. Clannad, nothing can beat that in F*** a millions^99999 yearsgopherVaultStivgopherVaultStivgopherVaultStivgopherVaultStivgopherVaultStivgopherVaultStivgopherVaultStivgopherVaultStivgopherVaultStivgopherVaultStivgopherVaultStiv

2. Great teacher Onizuka AKA GTO

3. Testsuwan Birdy AKA Birdy The Mighty

4. Rurouni Kenshin

5. Neon genesis evangalion

6. lost count too many anime i've watched

I tried watching Elfenlied I enjoyed it up to ep. 7 or 8 forgot which one with

When the kids kill that puppy ;_;

It certainly serves to make the Diclonii more sympathetic that just mindless killers, though. Really enjoyed Elfenlied, though.

Favourites, though? Loved Tora Dora, and Zero no Tsukaima, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Gundam Wing (yes, and Endless Waltz), Trigun, Cowboy Bebop. Hell, I like most, at least until they irritate me with pointlessly drawn out storylines. Bleach lost me because of that.

It certainly serves to make the Diclonii more sympathetic that just mindless killers, though. Really enjoyed Elfenlied, though.

Favourites, though? Loved Tora Dora, and Zero no Tsukaima, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Gundam Wing (yes, and Endless Waltz), Trigun, Cowboy Bebop. Hell, I like most, at least until they irritate me with pointlessly drawn out storylines. Bleach lost me because of that.

Bleach just drove me nuts with irregularities (This unique ability? The one we said was unique? Well, we all have it now.) and what we on the Bleach Wiki call "Plotkai" or the ability to do *exactly* what is needed at the time or to become slightly stronger than the person they are fighting, so many battles lost their edge and just became wet noodle fights by the end of it, no more finesse, hell, I can only think of three fights in the anime past the Aizen part where plotkai wasn't used in a difficult fight. Yumichika vs Charlotte, Shuhei vs Findor and Soi-fon, Marechiyo and Hachigen vs Barragan The rest just felt like, well, wet noodle fights.

^^Ummmm... okay let me make another list for animes I've NEVER seen one episode of as I don't understand what [uSER=148]@Sicarius001[/uSER] said.

Bleach

Trigun

Fairy Tale

Kill la Kill

and many, MANY more

Basically, Character is weak, plot needs them to be strong, random powerup mid-fight to win.

What I enjoyed about the Mahouka Kouka Koukou no Rettousei light novels is that you get an idea very early on how powerful your protagonists are, but it's slowly revealed. It's not quite as obvious in the anime, but the clues are all there in the light novel. Bleach also irritated me because there were some interpersonal relationships that i felt really should have been resolved, and they kept needlessly dangling them for no reason.

It is one reason I like Naruto, besides the final ass-pull battle with Kaguya (which never happened), everything used in the actual series made sense. Sure, the main protagonist was dumb as a plank and ridiculously powerful, but aside from that, what they did and how they did it made sense for the most part (The ones that didn't make sense were simply some decisions made by Sasuke, that kid reeaaaaally needs a therapist or 10). Not counting his vow bringing him back to life though... that was early days so I can be a little forgiving.

Now, to change subject, Fairy Tail is amazing. It is over the top, takes the piss out of itself alot whilst still remaining kinda serious, some people do get put off by the "Friendship is the POOWAAH!" all He-Man style, but that is one of the amazing things, it comes across as equally serious and taking the piss out of other series for that.

Example of Fairy Tail humor:

post-148-14315518821058_thumb.jpg

I'm sort of a reverse hipster- I'm usually late catching up to cultural trends. I mean, I study ancient and Medieval literature so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that I can't catch up with modern things ;) So, I can only claim one manga: Blade of the Immortal. A friend in high school introduced me to the series, and it was quite good- especially the artwork. But I haven't kept up with it.

Ah yes, I'm in a similar situation to PCat with Blade of the Immortal, I kind of lost track of it, but it's pretty good, it even has an anime series...

You might also enjoy the manga "Vagabond", it's similar in some ways to the one above, it's based off of Myamoto Musashi, the japanese swordsman and a novel about him.

Another manga, (with an anime adaptation), is Sigurui (or "Death Frenzy"), it's pretty graphic with it's violence, nudity, and a pretty brutal portrayal of Japan's Edo period. I think it's pretty good if you can stomach it, the plot is interesting but it has a bit of a slow start if I remember correctly, and it does end kind of abruptly btw.

I'd also recommend the Tokyo Ghoul manga, it also has an anime that diverges somewhat during it's second season, but I find the manga to be superior in terms of world, story, and character building to the anime, mostly because of episode/time constraints (they crammed too many chapters into far to few episodes), the anime's still pretty good I think and would recommend it as well, but people should definitely try the manga, if you do watch the anime first and are interested in the manga, I suggest starting from the beginning with this one.

Some of you might also enjoy Shingeki no Kyojin, manga & anime, it was kind of overhyped but it probably deserves a good portion of that hype IMO, I haven't kept up with it much however, the manga is further along than the anime (the anime ended, and I haven't heard of a season 2... yet), and it does go into a pretty lengthy "arc" centered on political intrigue that might put some people off. It has a pretty interesting world and plot though, the pace is kind of slow but I definitely recommend giving it a try. (Also, initially the manga looks pretty shoddy, but the author improved over time, the anime however looks fantastic from the start), you can pick up the anime first and if you like it you can just hop on to the "next chapter" since there weren't many changes as far as I'm aware.

Also, Hellsing Ultimate OVAs, a pretty fun watch, following the adventures of one of the most OP vampires in anime/manga history, not much in terms of plot, but it's well executed, with interesting/decent enough characters... but it's mostly about the action and the WOW factor.

And pretty much a lot of what other people have mentioned already... I don't have a list for this, so I'm just trying to remember stuff from the moldy, dust-covered archives of my mind ;P.

I'd also recommend the Tokyo Ghoul manga, it also has an anime that diverges somewhat during it's second season, but I find the manga to be superior in terms of world, story, and character building to the anime, mostly because of episode/time constraints (they crammed too many chapters into far to few episodes), the anime's still pretty good I think and would recommend it as well, but people should definitely try the manga, if you do watch the anime first and are interested in the manga, I suggest starting from the beginning with this one.

Manga is superior?

Dang I only watched the anime (and it was great). Alright. Going to add that to my todo list