Gopher's Minions

What are likes, kudos and so for?

FayeLiyah

Question

Hey there!

I have a rather blasphemic question and did not know where to put it. What is the use of likes on this page? I have never been into such systems hence don't know how to use them or how to understand them.

And on nexus (I know it's has nothing to do with this site) there are kudos. What is that? I thought you give a mod an endorsment, and that meaning you liked the mod and it worked out well? So what's the difference to kudos? I am rather confused with all this stuff. o_O Help!:P

17 answers to this question

[uSER=756]@OutandBack[/uSER] put it very well; I sometimes look at the likes to quickly gauge how people feel about suggestions, knowing that sometimes we don't have anything to add but wish to show agreement or simple appreciation for an idea.

[uSER=110]@Jasch[/uSER] You do know we had people asking Gopher to ask the devs of The Witcher about beard physics. Some of us are a bit beyond psychiatric help at this point :D

[uSER=76]@unforbidable[/uSER] I'll look into if it's possible to make this feature customizable.

I believe the kudos you got are a response to your screenshots uploaded on Nexus - quite understandable, I'd say.

Regarding likes what [uSER=24]@Schmidy[/uSER] and [uSER=110]@Jasch[/uSER] said but it's not all roses. Generally the actual purpose of likes (and the likes) is to make you post likable stuff. It's a brilliant scheme really. It's a form of censorship if you think about it where established opinions and ideas are encouraged.

I don't really get why likes are a from of censorship [uSER=76]@unforbidable[/uSER] .

I mean i understand that likes are there to encourage you to write nice stuff, but there is no one who forces you to.

You can write what you want (as long as it isn't against the rules). Maybe people don't like what you write, but you can write it...

Perhaps I used too strong a word. It's just... I don't feel the same level of freedom when I am about to post something likable and when I am about to post something that might seem controversial, something that is important for me to mention or discuss and something that might benefit the community in the end as I did moments ago. Even if it's all subconscious it's still there.

Perhaps I used too strong a word. It's just... I don't feel the same level of freedom when I am about to post something likable and when I am about to post something that might seem controversial, something that is important for me to mention or discuss and something that might benefit the community in the end as I did moments ago. Even if it's all subconscious it's still there.

Nah, I feel that all the time when I posting things. Even in places where they can't be 'liked'. It's just human nature, the desire to be part of the crowd. Some just feel it more strongly than others.

Nah, I feel that all the time when I posting things. Even in places where they can't be 'liked'. It's just human nature, the desire to be part of the crowd. Some just feel it more strongly than others.

You make a good point. I just think it's better when we use our own moral compass to tell good and bad not one designed by an arbitrary like count. I'd feel much more comfortable while posting if I could disable the likes. I can't imagine I'm alone in that.

I can see your point but I think disabling likes isn't the way to go. As far as I know many people actually enjoy the like function. You can express your feeling about something someone posted without having to post yourself. It keeps the forum a bit more easy to read. Imagine that half the people who like something would instead post below: "I liked your post @xyz" or "LOL @xyz". Not a good solution.

And I don't think that the like system replaces a moral compass tbh. If someone decides not to post something because of a like system and not because of his moral compass it is not the like system's fault but the person's. It's not the system but the person who has to sort out this for him/herself.

If someone craves for the attention of a like system there is the the need for psychological help, not the need to shut down the system.

It is not the system that is important, it is we who decide how we use it, how we feel about it, how we decide what to post, what we decide to post!

Also: A practical note on disabling the likes system for specific persons

If you are able to disable the likes for yourself/single posts it will be like the like system was there. Just in a very bad way: If you disable the likes for yourself it will look like you fear that your posts might not be liked. People might see your posts, with the likes enabled, but no likes. They might think about why no one liked the post.

But if you disable the likes for your posts people will think that you fear their judgement, and react to that. They will think you are a coward who fears their opinion. And they will post to tell you about what they think about your post. And might include their dislike of you disabling their option to like.

So that is my opinion about this. And I'm sorry if anyone is offended by this, but I don't know another way to express my thoughts about this.

As a new member trying to figure out what every enjoys reading or discussing I find the like system very instrumental.

If I post a topic that is interesting to me but not the group the likes and comments of course will give me a clue to continue or drop the subject.

I also like to give likes when someone makes a statement I agree with. I may have nothing to add to the topic by posting but the like is a nice way to say I agree with you.

Apparently I am the only one who's ever found one self changing words or removing a paragraph before posting something deliberately in order to earn a like or two. And that's a reason I need psychiatric help.

Seriously, all I am saying is that the like system makes me post things in ways I would not otherwise. It makes me appear more likable than I am and I actually don't like that. Also I'm not convinced nobody else ever felt like that.

I do enjoy giving likes for the benefit of others and precisely for the reasons you mention, though I think a proper reply goes a long way and would not cause any more distraction than several post made in the crazy thread every day.

I was actually thinking about hiding the like bar the same way I hid signatures if that was possible. But I will try harder to ignore the likes first.

@Unforbiddable I obviously can't say about other people, but the only thing that makes me change what I write is if it doesn't convey exactly the message I want it to say and I think of better words after I've written it, but before I post. Of course at the same time, I'm not the most socially driven person and whilst getting a post liked or quoted is nice, it's not something I aim for.

@Unforbiddable I obviously can't say about other people, but the only thing that makes me change what I write is if it doesn't convey exactly the message I want it to say and I think of better words after I've written it, but before I post. Of course at the same time, I'm not the most socially driven person and whilst getting a post liked or quoted is nice, it's not something I aim for.

I totally agree with you. I don't know what to make of the like system for myself. So it's something that is there. It not necessarily has to be. A nice nonvital feature. Not more nor less.

I am actually a little sad that people change their way just because of the like system. This seem to be a forum where you're accepted just the way you are. which thread was it where we talked about the community and feeling? You should read that and just relax with all the likes. ;)

[uSER=12]@Philosophercat[/uSER] don't worry about me, I'm a proud member of the insanity squad. I know how twisted some individuals (looks at aj and sic) are.

I do enjoy giving likes for the benefit of others and precisely for the reasons you mention, though I think a proper reply goes a long way and would not cause any more distraction than several post made in the crazy thread every day.

I was actually thinking about hiding the like bar the same way I hid signatures if that was possible. But I will try harder to ignore the likes first.

[uSER=76]@unforbidable[/uSER] Okay, if you just want to hide it for yourself so you don't see it it's fine for me.

But please stop bothering us about the insanity thread. Why can't you just let us live in peace in our thread? Isn't it enough that we got ourself a place where we can post the random stuff we want. So we don't create a new thread for every single thing?

As [uSER=649]@Aj-M1A2X[/uSER] : If you don't like it no one forces you to look at it. We don't want to annoy you but please don't tell us if something is important or not. If you look at the insanity thread: It has nearly 500 posts! I think it is one of the most used threads in the forum. So it seems that there are a few people enjoying it, and as soon as people enjoy something it has a reason to be there. Because we don't harm anyone. (Only ourself)

Like are nice thing to have, they help raise self-esteem a bit. They are nice way to show support for a post that you've read.

I never deliberately aimed for likes, I felt good about receiving them but never aimed for them. I always post whatever I want to say and if it gets likes I'm happy, if it doesn't then nothing happens, some messages are not there to be liked. Just because you don't get a like on specific message doesn't mean it was pointless or unappreciated.

From my personal experience about usefulness of likes.... as Jarl of Stivarstead I sometimes was making suggestions of forums about something or simply informed people about some changes on server and likes helped me to see how well supported that idea is.

Standing proud in defence of like system... don't repress us by removing OPTIONAL feature (no one forces you to like posts/care about like counter)!

I don't think there is a point in putting this to a vote. Anybody else not in favor of the system might already have left or never joined in the first place but I guess I am just imagining that. Anyway I am glad I shared my opinion but I don't want my personal issues be a burden to others [uSER=12]@Philosophercat[/uSER]

It seems to me that the OP's question has been answered, so I will be locking this thread. Additionally, I'll look into whether the 'likes' feature can be made something individual users can customize. Remember, we're still in early access and it is questions/suggestions like these that help us make the forum the best it can be for everyone.