Jump to content
Gopher's Minions
Aleskia

Greetings to fellow followers of Gopher's wisdom!

Recommended Posts

I seldom introduce myself on forums as I prefer lurking 🙂

I am over 60, female, and have loved RPGs etc since the days of The Stygian Abyss (on 5 inch floppy discs).  I became a Gopher follower from the day I found his first video on modding Skyrim.  Without his wisdom I would still be breaking games 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, pull up a rock and sit on a log and pound the game with the rock until it asks you to stop. Have a cookie. They are synthesized by someone around here. At least they used to be. Guaranteed non-organic. Gives us the energy to dodge the flying cats with flaming monkeys. 

Stay awhile. Watch Gopher pop up his head every now and then to rant. He is also very adept at breaking games by doing the quests backwards. Lots of fun to watch.

Have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Hello and Welcome,

Most of the folks here are still on their meds so you shouldn't have any problems.   Are you getting excited about Cyber Punk 2077, you seem like the punker type, you know over 60 , into RPG's.  Glad to have you here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both :D  Steampunk - yes indeed :D  Also I seem to be in demand for making LARP outfits and Cosplay outfits over a very wide range of types.  The latest projects are Mr. Nobody from Doom Patrol and Helena Bonham Carter's Fairy Godmother Dress :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Aleskia said:

I seldom introduce myself on forums as I prefer lurking 🙂

I am over 60, female, and have loved RPGs etc since the days of The Stygian Abyss (on 5 inch floppy discs).  I became a Gopher follower from the day I found his first video on modding Skyrim.  Without his wisdom I would still be breaking games 🙂 

Hi Aleskia, We have similar stories. I also found Gophers channel when I was just starting to mod Skyrim and Fallout3/NV.

It is nice having another senior here. I will be 67 next month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I will be 75 tomorrow. 😃

Dinner Tuesday.

"Happy Birthday to us! ... Happy Birthday to us! ... Happy Birthday to uuuuuuuus! Happy Birthday to us!"

Happy birthday David. I wish you many more and thanks for hanging around to help us youngsters out 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I will be 75 tomorrow. 😃

Dinner Tuesday.

"Happy Birthday to us! ... Happy Birthday to us! ... Happy Birthday to uuuuuuuus! Happy Birthday to us!"

Happy Birthday to you !

Feeling generous so if you not played Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen, let me know and it be a birthday present for you ! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

Happy Birthday to you !

Feeling generous so if you not played Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen, let me know and it be a birthday present for you ! :P

No I have not played it. Should I? 😁

Well, thank you, thank you, thank you...   😄

Actually I have never heard of this game so it will be a total surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Cryzeteur said:

No I have not played it. Should I? 😁

Well, thank you, thank you, thank you...   😄

Actually I have never heard of this game so it will be a total surprise.

Have sent you the code, hope you enjoy the game ! gopherVaultStiv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cryzeteur said:

Thank you so much. The game is downloading. I will let you know how it goes but my internet is not very fast so it may take all day.

😊

No rush, enjoy your day and play it another day ! 🍾

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

No rush, enjoy your day and play it another day ! 🍾

It is half downloaded at the present time. My system is busy compressing my Steam Folder (a terabyte drive that is 90% full), so I downloaded to a different drive. 

I am actually working while all this is going on in the background. I know it's my birthday, but I like working. :P

33 minutes ago, Flyddon said:

Beuwolf, I going to have to ask you to type slower,   they are old and can't read fast.

Hmmm... it's almost 5 ... I guess I should go get some lunch... Might be able to get back by bed time....   :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 2:15 PM, Beuwolf said:

No rush, enjoy your day and play it another day ! 🍾

I have completed several quests and although I hate the controller configuration, I am having fun. I almost cried when I got my permanent companion.... very touching story.

Combat is pretty simplistic, but considering how awkward the controller set-up is I am glad it isn't more complex.

Are you enjoying it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I have completed several quests and although I hate the controller configuration, I am having fun. I almost cried when I got my permanent companion.... very touching story.

Combat is pretty simplistic, but considering how awkward the controller set-up is I am glad it isn't more complex.

Are you enjoying it?

I am enjoying it as well, yes.  Unfortunately for me I'm going away over the weekend so wont be able to play it until Sunday again. :(

Glad you enjoying it though !  Now when you have your permanent companion, the one you picked up in first city can now be changed as well, since you have access to the Rift.  He wont level past lvl 6, just so you know.  But with access to the Rift you can easily change your 2 additional Pawns anytime you around a Rift Stone.  Unless you prefer just playing with your main character and the permanent pawn you having. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

I am enjoying it as well, yes.  Unfortunately for me I'm going away over the weekend so wont be able to play it until Sunday again. :(

Glad you enjoying it though !  Now when you have your permanent companion, the one you picked up in first city can now be changed as well, since you have access to the Rift.  He wont level past lvl 6, just so you know.  But with access to the Rift you can easily change your 2 additional Pawns anytime you around a Rift Stone.  Unless you prefer just playing with your main character and the permanent pawn you having. :P

Enjoy your weekend   😊

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting times in my tiny little corner of the pc world.  Yet again the "Geek committee" have decided that my pc needs up-dating and they each sent me a list of their favourite configurations and again I am totally lost.  I have a much younger brother who is a system architect and 3 cousins who all work at some level in computing and they like to advise me LOL  The only thing they agree on is the guy who is to do the actual build and that I should use a "raid array" set-up which he hates :D

I have words like Corsair, Samsung and Kingston and whether the ssds should be SATA or NVME M2 (?).  This time I have been sent an external drive to salvage my game data and my embroidery design data, 2 lots of memory (16 GB) and the rest is up to me LOL  I have also been advised to wait before getting a new graphics card as there should be a huge shift with 2 new players bringing their graphic cards to the market in the next few months.

Challenging my brain is one of their favourite things I sometimes think :D  They are all convinced that since I learnt programming in the stone age of modern computing I should be able to stay abreast of everything and all the languages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here is a little secret, raid array is obsolete, for PC.   If you were a large business, maybe, but even then not so much.   Why ?  Raid Array was designed to reduce the strain on your CPU while read/write to your hard drive, and to have the ability to mirror data on drive to a back-up drive ( a primary function is to provide redundancy ).

Here's the deal  this was designed back when you only had 5400RPM Hard drives, with SATA and SSD HD there is no bottleneck on the CPU, no need for an Raid array for that reason.  Secondly , the redundancy, it is now suggested that you do nightly back-ups AND Quarterly Back-ups....  why?   Nightly back-ups for data recovery , up to 60 days, but also for Ransom ware attacks.  This is were Mal-ware is introduced into your system and it encrypts large portions of your data (all .txt files or all  .docx and .xml, entire hard drives is some cases)  and a notice is sent to you saying pay us in Bit Coins and we will send you the encryption code so you can un-lock your data.  Well, if you have backed-up your data with an air gap server, your almost made whole over night, depends on how long you have been infected.   This is for large companies, for your PC do a weekly back-up to an external USB drive and your done.

 

On the idea of a PC rebuild...I love me a good PC build , but OutandBack did the unthinkable, he purchased a customized PC (a real kick ass one at that)... and that has got me thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Aleskia said:

I have words like Corsair, Samsung and Kingston and whether the ssds should be SATA or NVME M2 (?).  This time I have been sent an external drive to salvage my game data and my embroidery design data, 2 lots of memory (16 GB) and the rest is up to me LOL  I have also been advised to wait before getting a new graphics card as there should be a huge shift with 2 new players bringing their graphic cards to the market in the next few months.

Challenging my brain is one of their favourite things I sometimes think :D  They are all convinced that since I learnt programming in the stone age of modern computing I should be able to stay abreast of everything and all the languages.

An NVMe drive is also an SSD that plugs directly into the motherboard via the M.2 PCIe slot, or into a traditional PCIe slot using an M.2 PCIe Adapter. The tiny drive is only about the size of a stick of RAM and is blazing fast -- about 6x the speed of an SSD.

The graphics card recommendation is also correct. The 5 nanometer (5 nm or 50 Å) lithography process is a technology node in semiconductor manufacturing process which is set to become commercial in 2020. This will result in smaller more dense chips and will allow a new advancement in both computers and graphics cards. Not only will these chips be more dense, but also faster and cooler.

However, having first learned programming in 1959 I totally understand how hard it is to keep up with technological advances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flyddon said:

Well, if you have backed-up your data with an air gap server, your almost made whole over night, depends on how long you have been infected.   This is for large companies, for your PC do a weekly back-up to an external USB drive and your done.

On the idea of a PC rebuild...I love me a good PC build , but OutandBack did the unthinkable, he purchased a customized PC (a real kick ass one at that)... and that has got me thinking.

I back up on an external harddrive once a week.

I have had an infection -- ransom ware -- once and simply reformatted my system hard drive. The data files were intact on my secondary HD..My game files are on a third HD. The only files I care about are the files for the books, music and mods I am working on. The rest can be replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I back up work related data once a week.  So far I have avoided infection because my brother sets up my security in case he has urgent work whilst visiting me.

Thank you for your advice and wisdom - I think that as it is my pc I am going to opt out of having raid array this time despite family pressure :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...