Gopher's Minions
OutandBack

I ordered a new Gaming PC today. Would like your feedback

Hi Minions, My Gaming PC is almost 8 years old sporting an i7 and GTX780.

Though it was time for a new one. With Quakecon going on there are lots of sales right now.

So here's my spec's;

Gamer Infinity XLC (NO MONITOR)
    CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
    CARE2: Cooler Master Mastergel Maker CPU-Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
    CAS: LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Mid-Tower Dual chamber Gaming Case w/ USB 3.1 Type-C, Tempered glass on the front & side (White Color)
    CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-9900K 3.60GHZ 16MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151
    CS_FAN: Default case fans
    FAN: CyberPowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate
    HDD: 512GB Intel 660P M.2 NVME SSD + 3TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo (Combo Drive)
    IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    KEYBOARD: CyberPowerPC Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
    MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Prime Z390-P ATX w/ WiFi 802.11AC RGB, USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 4 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
    MOUSE: CyberPowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
    POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply
    PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
    SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
    SLI_BRIDGE: None
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    VIDEO: GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
    WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY

That's a lot of money to spend.  Is the PC just for gaming or you be using it for streaming, photo shop and such as well ?  Have you considered going with a Ryzen CPU instead ?  The Ryzen 7 3700x is almost equal to the i9 but cost considerably less.  Not compared all components but if you definitely want the same case, PSU and GPU, then it be about $500 less to play (I picked the VR Ready Deal RX 5700 XT, then changed the Case, PSU and GPU).

In regards to the OS, I would pick the Pro over Home version though, it's only a small difference in price for them anyway.

Now of course this is if I found the same web site that you used, cyberpowerpc, otherwise the prices might different even more. :P

Hi @Beuwolf That is the correct website. I decided to let someone else built my system this time. They are having a lot of Quakecon sales right now so I did one of those packages.

I spend about the same amount on this system vs the one I built so I am OK with the price. I don't like upgrading systems often it is such a hassle getting every thing loaded back on.

I am happy with all the hardware but I can't stand Windoz 10. I loaded it on to my i7 $3000 laptop and it took it to its knees and is basicly useless it is so slow.

1 minute ago, OutandBack said:

Hi @Beuwolf That is the correct website. I decided to let someone else built my system this time. They are having a lot of Quakecon sales right now do I did one of those packages.

I spend about the same amount on this system vs the one I built so I am OK with the price. I don't like upgrading systems often it is such a hassle getting every thing loaded back on.

I am happy with all the hardware but I can't stand Windoz 10. I loaded it on to my i7 $3000 laptop and it took it to its knees and is basicly useless it is so slow.

I hear you there, I can't stand it either hence why I am still on Windows 7.  I just suggested the pro instead of home version since it was mentioned in your post.  I do have Win 10 Pro on my second computer but I barely use it so can't really say anything about it to be honest.  From all I read about 10 I would rather never use it but since any support for Win 7 finishing at end of the year I might have to. :(

Of course it is your money to spend as you see fit, just thought I would suggest that you get about same performance with a Ryzen CPU as a Intel one but you save some money for anything else.  In the end, up to you. gopherVaultStiv

19 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

I hear you there, I can't stand it either hence why I am still on Windows 7.  I just suggested the pro instead of home version since it was mentioned in your post.  I do have Win 10 Pro on my second computer but I barely use it so can't really say anything about it to be honest.  From all I read about 10 I would rather never use it but since any support for Win 7 finishing at end of the year I might have to. :(

Of course it is your money to spend as you see fit, just thought I would suggest that you get about same performance with a Ryzen CPU as a Intel one but you save some money for anything else.  In the end, up to you. gopherVaultStiv

I use Win 10 Pro and don't have any problems, but my machine is a gaming rig so it is able to handle a lot of garbage processing at one time. Windows does do a lot of background processing and allows a lot of other programs to share the channels... like Steam, antivirus programs, software updaters, social media links, etc, etc.

When ever I get mad at windows it usually traces down to something stupid I did.

4 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I use Win 10 Pro and don't have any problems, but my machine is a gaming rig so it is able to handle a lot of garbage processing at one time. Windows does do a lot of background processing and allows a lot of other programs to share the channels... like Steam, antivirus programs, software updaters, social media links, etc, etc.

When ever I get mad at windows it usually traces down to something stupid I did.

@CryzeteurI'm going to call them and ask if they can turn off/remove/put on standyby any and all OS background programs I will not need for gaming.

I will be connected to the internet so that makes it a bit tougher being forced to run Steam, Bethesda, GOG, Epic launchers, plus Borderlands server and EleteDangerous :-(

54 minutes ago, OutandBack said:

@CryzeteurI'm going to call them and ask if they can turn off/remove/put on standyby any and all OS background programs I will not need for gaming.

I will be connected to the internet so that makes it a bit tougher being forced to run Steam, Bethesda, GOG, Epic launchers, plus Borderlands server and EleteDangerous :-(

Steam is my most recent nuisance. I am trying to play New California but Steam keeps generating errors and resetting my controller from game controller to keyboard. Annoying. I have keyboard and mouse disabled in the .ini and the orefs.ini. Still wants to run on keyboard. Sometime if I play Skyrim and then go to Fallout the game controller works fine. Can't figure out why it keeps resetting.

@Cryzeteur Have you looked at the Steam controller settings? Even if you don't use a steam controller I believe you can set Steam thru that to only use a controller.

I have heard a roumor you can't play Fallout 3 with Win 10 without making changes, have you heard or experienced that?

13 hours ago, OutandBack said:

@Cryzeteur Have you looked at the Steam controller settings? Even if you don't use a steam controller I believe you can set Steam thru that to only use a controller.

I have heard a roumor you can't play Fallout 3 with Win 10 without making changes, have you heard or experienced that?

No I did not do this. It did occur to me, but I put off the thought and never went to Steam to trace down the controller setting. 

Thanks for reminding me. I'll go look.

... one hour later ...

Okay... that worked. You have to go to Steam and open Big Picture Mode. Then set the Game Controller options and click on the fallout nv PLAY button. Works fine.

Hey OutandBack, 

I heard with this Video card ( VIDEO: GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 )  you can see into the future... they're that powerful.   I got to say you took the plunge there with this one, I too, am looking to upgrade for Cyberpunk,  but I just can't stand the cost of high end parts now.   Some Video cards cost more than my first car  (used Ford F150 Explorer $900 1980).

3 hours ago, Flyddon said:

Hey OutandBack, 

I heard with this Video card ( VIDEO: GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 )  you can see into the future... they're that powerful.   I got to say you took the plunge there with this one, I too, am looking to upgrade for Cyberpunk,  but I just can't stand the cost of high end parts now.   Some Video cards cost more than my first car  (used Ford F150 Explorer $900 1980).

When I search to buy that video card it does seem to be 1/2 the cost of the system.

I don't see how they can buy all these parts and then pay techs to put it all together and charge what they do.

They must get one hell of a discount compared to what you and I can buy these parts for.

There is just no way I can buy all these parts and do the assembly myself and save any money. I'm not sure I will ever build my own PC again.

20 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I am hoping Cyberpunk works okay on my current system. If it doesn't, I am stuck.

I am going to find it hard enough to pay for a copy of Cyberpunk.

I wonder if there will be many mods for Cyberpunk? Witcher 3 had a few I enjoyed. If I go too heavy with the mods on the Bethesda games it really slows my framerate.

With my i7/GTX780 system I had to run FO4 and Metro Exodus on all medium setting to keep a good FR.

You inspired me to run a benchmark on my PC.

The scores were pathetic and the most worrying was my PCU was running at 34%.

I went in and reset the motherboard overclocking and reran the benchmark.

The scores came way up. My PCU is now running at 46% which is almost average for my setup. That is very good considering how old my system is. The benchmark said I should be able to run all current games at ultra high settings, including 3D if I wanted.

Curiously my NVIDIA GTX960 is only running at about 30%. It is only a year old. Just past warranty. But at least it still works.

I would sure think a GTX 960 is still a very nice graphics card for current games. Are you running an i5 or i7 processor?

When I build my system I use a high quality 800watt PS I thought is was more than enough. Sadly I have tripped its circuit breaker a few times in the heat of battle. 

So I have never attempted over clocking for fear I would just run out of PS juice even more often.

My new system I asked for a 1000 watt PS in hopes of not having sudden system shutdowns in the middle of all the action.

I tried to check my power supply but couldn't find it in the system. I think it is 1200 watt. I remember that it seemed way over what I asked for. I was told I needed it for my system.

My clock speed is 1.6 Ghz. I am not over clocked. I could reset the clock just for fun to see what it would do. I don't over-clock because it uses more power.

Curiously, today my NVIDIA GTX960 is running at 73%, that is 150% compared to an average of 100%. Far better than the average 960. I have no idea what it was doing yesterday that was slowing it down.

I have a AMD Phenom II X4 970

Oh... I just noticed the Benchmark ignored my SSD which is my C-Drive and only checked my two old backup storage drives. Ignoring the old drives my system is actually benched at 70%. That makes me feel a lot better.   😃

Edited by Cryzeteur

Got my notice from cyberpower the system should be shipping this week. I have a couple tech questions if you folks don't mind.

I have never done this before. Switching gamingPCs that is.  I came from a PS3 to my current gamingPC. 

Is it better to try and get as much gaming data from my old PC to my new or just get on Steam, GOG, Epic, Bethesda, Frontier and download from scratch?

My Win7 and all game info is on a SSD should I just throw that in one of the empty HD bays?

Just thinking about doing all this gives me a knot in my gut and dealing with windoz10 is not giving me any confidence either.

Also if I want to network my new PC with the old I can just use a LAN cable, right? Anything special there I should know about?

Personally I suggest download from scratch. Clean start.

(You "can" transfer all the old files, if you are a computer genius, but you would need to set them up in exactly the same way on every disk or the system registry will be messed up. It rarely works. Since you are changing operating systems I do not suggest even attempting to copy over old files. If you think you have the willies now... trying this would be far worse.)

You can transfer save games with no problem. Just copy the documents files that you want in My Games. (Is that what you mean by game info? If you mean virgin install files that is okay for a clean install. If you mean already installed files then NO! Some games would work. Most would not. They would just be a mess.)

There are several ways to connect two computers. First read up on Win10 interconnectivity of devices. Then I suggest checking out videos on YouTube. It is sometimes more complicated than just running a cable. Usually two computers can be connected through Windows 10 connectivity apps using a USB cable or wireless.

Edited by Cryzeteur

As Cryzeteur said in regards to the game, do a fresh install since you going from Win 7 to Win 10 and just transfer your save files.  Just be aware that not all game save their files in the My Games folder in your document folder.  You have to search where each game is being saved using google to be on the safe side.

Have fun with your new PC ! gopherVaultStiv

On 8/3/2019 at 1:27 AM, OutandBack said:

My new system I asked for a 1000 watt PS

And an added plus to this is it will help heat your house !

I agree with the ones above  start new and fresh install.   The biggest problem I had was remembering all my passwords...  Depending on your browsers, you can go to options and or security and have the browsers show you or even print out all your saved PW and web sites.   Just a thought.   

A mini-motherboard. I shouldn't be surprised. Everything is getting smaller. Laptops are the new desk top.

That whole thing could fit in a console.

The only thing I don't recognize it the circle with four dots on top of the hard-drive.

Edited by Cryzeteur

I am not sure what you mean. The HD is on the other side of this motherboard in its own little area. It is accessed from the rear.

This case is the weirdest thing I have ever seen.  I don't know why they use suck a large cabinet. If you click on the pics you'll get a bigger image.

The HD bay is behind this grill on the left. I haven't found the SSD yet.

48493275637_d280bf8130_b.jpg

Here's a shot of what is on the other side. Not sure what this fan is cooling maybe the 1000w powersupply.

48493135646_8a67e11da6_b.jpg