Gopher's Minions
Sign in to follow this  
Aj-M1A2X

Eh... Is this supposed to take up so much space?

So I got ESO (woo!), but... Apparently it'll take up over half of either of my disks storage space?

Is this thing really that huge? Or is Steam being silly again?

57329 MB ... that is actually massive.

I've never heard of a game taking up so much damn space; I don't have enough things to delete D;

Hmm, I don't think I can delete any more stuff on disc D, and disc C is pretty full... (disc D 36.5GB left out of 69.5, disc C 10.9GB left out of 69.7, I really have a small disk drive) Steam says ESO takes up around 50GB...

I might have to buy some extra disc space o_O

Well that's a dissapointing birthday present ):

Now, help out a PC noob, what the fuck do I buy for disc space, that's HDD or something, right?

Or was it SSD? Either way one of the parts has to be replaced because I'm getting my birthday present D:<

HDD would be easiest and cheapest and most disc space. SSD would be faster, which you don't really need for ESO, but might come in handy for other things, like Windows, and some games with loading screens. But it is more expensive and has less space.

I'm kinda hoping you have an SSD already with the fairly small 140gb you have. (C and D are most likely partitions on the same disk). Now if you have a laptop, that will need to be replaced which will involve a re-install of windows or clone from the old drive. A desktop however is very simple and you can just plug the new drive in alongside the old one and windows will(hopefully) sort it all out for you :D

In my opinion, you should go for the biggest drive you can afford. Western Digital is the only company I will ever use drives from and if you have a desktop, you need to get a 3.5" drive. Laptops take a 2.5" drive. I know I'm gonna get shot down here, but I don't think black drives are worth the extra expense, so look for blue or green. Blue drives are the standard everyday one, whilst green are designed to switch off when there is no read/write activities. I have used a green drive for 90% of my games with absolutely no trouble.

In the 3.5" range a 1TB is gonna be about £50, 2TB for £65 and 3TB £90.

Hope I helped a bit :)

I have a computer, but I was thinking about buying a new HDD anyway, since 69 GB is kind of redicilous.

1TB is more than enough for my needs, and I think I can collect 55 quid easilly, from the people who want to get me a birthday present but don't know what to give me. (I was going to spare those people and tell them not to give me anything, but if they give 5 or 10 quid each... :) )

[uSER=49]@Crackpotmark[/uSER] could you give me any more specifics? Like links or something? Either way, thanks, that helped quite a bit.

Nevermind, can easilly get a WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green

Friend says it's pretty good, but that you have to do some stuff with the bios to get it to work, and 900GB is useable. I'm not exactly sure what half of that means, but 900GB sounds good.

I have a WD 1TB green, 500GB blue and two SSDs in my system.

WD Green is cheaper but a bit slower compared to blue (or even black). Don't know if you would notice the difference thow. SSD is the fastest, but very expensive. I only use them for my OS and games, which have to load a lot of files very often.

Also, I would say if you have to mess with bios to get a HDD running, something must be wrong. Normally you just put them into your system and start up the PC.

Yeah, sh ... problems happen :D

I also remembered I had my ESO PTS installed on my WD blue. While the main game is on a SSD, I didn't notice any difference between SSD or HDD. So, I think you are fine with any HDD. I might even shift ESO completely over to my HDD to free up my SSD.

I found that most of the games run fine from HDD. But some need the power of SSD. Like Skyrim (for me), where it removes the stutters I got before. But if you need space: Go for HDD, it's almost never wrong to have more storage. And I need to get me one too. Probably something like a 500GB WD Black for Important stuff and a 2TB WD Blue for everything else...

If you have the funds I will toss out a vote for an SSD.

With a 500gb I run W7 and about 5 games on it at one time. Keeping it about half empty at all times.

All my other nongaming stuff, or old saves I want to store is on a 2TB USB3 HDD.

Something I really like about the SSD is when you are running thru a forest things in the distance load so fast you don't see thing right in front of you popping in all the time. Also when you go thru doors you see the other side so fast there is no wait time for the interior to load.

I have a habit of running only one program at a time anyway, (unless its steam and a game) so I think I'll go for a HDD, since I'm poor and stuff.

Something I found that really helped my HDD, before my SSD, was to keep the HD defraged and lots of room for a game to grow.

hth

The only thing about the WD HDD is, if you're going to use it for gaming, don't get the Green model, as its the one for long term storage, mainly backups. I have one and its rather slow, you're far better off with the Blue or Black model.

Well, my friend's been using it and says it's fine, and it's the cheapest option, currently. The blue isn't much more expensive though.

What are the differences between them anyway?

Hmm, found a caviar blue and a blue that are actually cheaper...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1TB-inch-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3VJEKO2PG6I1A

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1TB-SATA-lll-Desktop-Drive/dp/B00D0243DU/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3VJEKO2PG6I1A

From WD green to blue to black you could say, that it will get a bit faster, but also more power hungry and louder.

The difference in the caviar vs the none caviar version is, that one is the older version with SATA 2 and the other the newer version with SATA 3.

SATA is the interface between the HDD and the rest of the PC. The newer the more data the interface can transport at the same time. But all HDDs doesn't transport as much data as the interface would allow anyway. So you don't get a benefit and should take the cheaper one.

I personally would go with blues for games and greens for data. But that is more my preference. I don't have any reason why a blue would be better for gaming.

I read in two places now that blue is faster than black, but black is more powerful or something, and black can have more TB, but the blue version with the most TB is one that has 1TB, which is all I need anyway, so I'm getting a blue. Seems like the cheapest and best alternative. The longer I wait, the cheaper ones I seem to find...

Found a WD 1TB SATA III Desktop SATA Drive - Blue for 38.50 quid, but unlike the other ones, you have to pay 4.59 for delivery.

I'm probably getting the one I found for 41.99 instead; the caviar blue ones price changed to 42.99.

I recommend Green blue at minimum. Have a guy that works with me that does computers on the side for small businesses and he said he has had many Blues greens fail before year end and to stay away from them. He ghosted my old drive on to my new 3T drive for me. :) I also bought extended warranty as back up. You could also get a External USB storage drive that is 1 - 3T for static files to clean up HD. Also be sure to get a HD with 64 cache it helped me tremendously. Old drive had higher RPM's than new one but really low cache. The higher cache more than made up for the RPM difference.

I'm a Gamer on a budget. :rolleyes:

***Corrections: Doing it out of my head I boggled this good. Mine is a 3TB Green, Stay away from the Blue. :confused:

Just thought I'd chip in with a couple of points.

One, there are no 2TB or 3TB WD Blue Drives on general sale. They only go up to 1TB. Higher than that and it probably not your primary drive anyway and you may as well get it in green.

Two, I have Six 3TB WD Green drives and they are coming up on their 4th birthday under heavy use in a file-server. They are no less reliable than any other. You could even argue that they are expected to have a longer lifespan due to the lower RPM and cooler operating temperatures. As with all traditional HDD's, check the SMART data at regular intervals to spot the signs of a likely drive failure. Also don't move them when they are on (This includes any kind of "Standby" or when the lid of a laptop is down).

Just thought I'd chip in with a couple of points.

One, there are no 2TB or 3TB WD Blue Drives on general sale. They only go up to 1TB. Higher than that and it probably not your primary drive anyway and you may as well get it in green.

Two, I have Six 3TB WD Green drives and they are coming up on their 4th birthday under heavy use in a file-server. They are no less reliable than any other. You could even argue that they are expected to have a longer lifespan due to the lower RPM and cooler operating temperatures. As with all traditional HDD's, check the SMART data at regular intervals to spot the signs of a likely drive failure. Also don't move them when they are on (This includes any kind of "Standby" or when the lid of a laptop is down).

**Removed due to my stupidity** :confused: