Gopher's Minions
Xeredek

Church of the Mystal Tree

It's been kind of quiet on here, so I figured I should show some of Mystmarsh for once! Took me goofily long to work up the nerve to do it, but I'm finally feeling okay with the fact it will likely be a "perpetually WIP" kind of build, and the final goals I'd laid out are still a ways off. I've been getting into the server again so I'll surely be making more progress again, and I hope to still see many of you guys on as well.

xlxvk99.png

VYXRPwI.png

4yLuvbE.png

0i4XCD2.png

SaiQizT.png

In the backwaters of the Mystmere swamps and wetlands there lies Mystmarsh, an anomaly in almost all ways. It's enchanted- or perhaps cursed- waters have given the region it's characteristic appearance and atmosphere, this magical well attracting dark magic users, necromancers, alchemists, hedge mages, and other magical hermit types who aren't accepted in civilized society to this one spot. Over the years this collection of hovels evolved into a city of sorts- with major members of their mages college doubling as the city council of self electing officials.

In this place a religion has formed based around the odd mushrooms growing around Mystmarsh. Some of these fungi are quite large (which I have yet to build!!!!! :L ) and are said to have a way of speaking directly to an individuals mind- telepathically, though one has to go through extensive self modification to hear their words, often characterized by empty eyes, extended life, an "death like" appearance, and occasionally mushrooms of this same type growing from the individual- in rare cases some even begin to change form and lose their flesh as plant matter replaces muscles and skin- leaving them with almost the appearance an overgrown corpse covered in vines and mushrooms. the procedure is preformed with magic and is of course irreversible.

Members of this community claim to not only be able to communicate with these ancient mushrooms, but also each other in the exact same way- effortlessly, almost automatically. A collective consciousness where in each mind can see though the eyes and perspective of each other completely- but with every individual still remaining autonomous, the shared memory and mind of thousands of years and numerous perspectives forming one singular community is the dark magic backwater.

uBwBcgi.png

https://mystaltree.bandcamp.com/track/the-arborist-speaks

I'd long since has this place built, but it was empty. I really didn't know what kind of religion Mystmarsh might even have. Then I stumbled across that album from Mystal Tree and the opening track gave me the inspiration I really needed. I mean heck It's even called the "Mystal tree"! It's perfect! After some thought I'd decided to simply directly post the lyrics. It felt kind of cheesy trying to come up with something similar yet different- I was pretty aware that this is mostly someone else's idea. Felt way better to just make a direct homage to the inspiration. It's a fantastic album by the way, check it out.

It also makes me smile that this prayer posted in the church can be actually listened to because of this. Now I just need some mooshrooms for livestock and some better integration of this community into the area and these dudes will be all set. Couldn't be happier with how it all came out!

Edited by Xeredek

By the by if you guys have and suggestions for the build itself I'm all ears. I think I've been staring at it for so long I can't tell if it needs anything on not- but the inside feels weirdly lacking looking at these images. I had to put in way more lighting than I initially thought and it kind of threw the whole original vibe off. Too many candles!

Edited by Xeredek