Gopher's Minions
OutandBack

TESO is NOT made by BETHESDA GAME STUDIOS (Rant)

So I just have one question for Gopher and I can't believe he did not answer it in this video. IF TESO is not the hold up for ES6

Then what the hell is? Have they run out of story ideas? The game can't be that dam hard to make. Do they not think they would sell if they came out with one every 3 years and the inbetween years could be DLC? My god the money they are leaving on the table is crazy. If I owned stock in that company I would sell it do to such bad management practices.

1 hour ago, OutandBack said:

So I just have one question for Gopher and I can't believe he did not answer it in this video. IF TESO is not the hold up for ES6

Then what the hell is? Have they run out of story ideas? The game can't be that dam hard to make. Do they not think they would sell if they came out with one every 3 years and the inbetween years could be DLC? My god the money they are leaving on the table is crazy. If I owned stock in that company I would sell it do to such bad management practices.

What has been said is that, first, the team was burnt out on ES and wanted a break.

Second, they didn't want to be typed as a one horse developer.

Third, the lore is complicated and making sure it is consistent is not easy. There is some latitude but inconsistent lore makes the game not-ES friendly. This is why they place all the games in different time periods.

Fourth, they wanted to use a new approach that required new technology. Specifically, they were trying to make the NPCs more aware of the state of the game so that they would know when you did something and would respond appropriately. This feature was actually in the trailer for Skyrim but they couldn't implement it. Also they actually tried running NPC action using AI but it was TOO good and played the game better than a human.

Fifth, they wanted a lot of dungeons (instances, caves, whatever) and quests and it takes time to design good ones. Some ideas require special licensing.

Sixth, voice acting is a problem. The number of voiced lines becomes unwieldy very quickly.

Seventh, I think there were some other licensing problems.

Eighth, the new technology used to make Fallout 76 larger and more detailed had to work first. The Skyrim SE engine was getting overloaded and they had to make major changes to the engine to get Fallout 76 to work as well as it does.

I think some other problems were mentioned by the team over the last 15 years that I have forgotten.

Edited by Cryzeteur

5 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

What has been said is that, first, the team was burnt out on ES and wanted a break.

So fire them they are not unique. Enderal, Falskaar, Moon path to Elsweyr, on an on this must not be a hard game to make content for.

Second, they didn't want to be typed as a one horse developer.

They are not they have Fallout

Third, the lore is complicated and making sure it is consistent is not easy. There is some latitude but inconsistent lore makes the game not-ES friendly. This is why they place all the games in different time periods.

Really that is a problem there are 13 year old out there that can quote the lore by heart.

Fourth, they wanted to use a new approach that required new technology. Specifically, they were trying to make the NPCs more aware of the state of the game so that they would know when you did something and would respond appropriately. This feature was actually in the trailer for Skyrim but they couldn't implement it. Also they actually tried running NPC action using AI but it was TOO good and played the game better than a human.

Worst management decision of all time so much money lost because of this line of thinking.

Fifth, they wanted a lot of dungeons (instances, caves, whatever) and quests and it takes time to design good ones. Some ideas require special licensing.

Dungeons are hard? Really?

Sixth, voice acting is a problem. The number of voiced lines becomes unwieldy very quickly.

Most Skyrim voice actors seem to have some kind of British accent. I wonder what the unemployment rate is in the UK? You don't need a college degree to read a few lines of text.

Seventh, I think there were some other licensing problems.

No comment I have no clue what this could be.

Eighth, the new technology used to make Fallout 76 larger and more detailed had to work first. The Skyrim SE engine was getting overloaded and they had to make major changes to the engine to get Fallout 76 to work as well as it does.

Again no one cares if a new engine is not out yet. Skyrim runs fine on the old engine. Most fans just want more of the same no one is asking for next gen better if we have to wait 10 flipping years. In my best Donald Trump Apprentice voice "Your all fired"

I think some other problems were mentioned by the team over the last 15 years that I have forgotten.

Yep way to many lame excuses if I were King they'd all be fired. To quote Gopher ((( This is not rocket science )))

7 hours ago, OutandBack said:

Outlandback...  😊 I get it. You wanted them to continue to produce game clones. Other companies, like Square Enix, have been doing this for years with success. Todd Howard has stated blatently that Bethesda has no intention of doing this. They are really stuck in the "awards for the most inventive game of the year" mentality. Maybe it's a pride thing.

I agree, they devote too much time to what appears to be game engine development. Basically they are just spinning their wheels. I think Boarderlands is a good example of what other companies are doing.

I think it's funny that they just discovered that they can make money by updating and reissuing games (ie Skyrim). However, if they reissue Oblivion and Morrowind in their new engine that will kill the mods trying to do this.

If I were them I would devote a team of twenty employees to revamping Oblivion and Morrowind. Not exact clones but improved games.

Personally I am looking forward to the next release from Beyond Skyrim.

BTW. I played TESO all the way through, did everything, up to the addition of the Thieves Guild, which was so badly implemented that I quit playing.

Edited by Cryzeteur