Gopher's Minions
DaughertyUSMC

Trying to mod Enderal Forgotten Stories

Gopher -

It seems Steam is the only place NOW to get the Enderal (Updated w/DLC) files and it will only download to a specific target game drive path - Steam will NOT allow it to be downloaded to my desktop, which pooches me being able to place the loader direct into the Skyrim directory as you show in the video - steam downloads ALL the files plus any updates (It's not just a loader.exe anymore), AND installs to a separate folder (parallel folder): (K:) > Steam > steamapps > common > Enderal) How can I get around this?  I need to use Vortex now to install mods and it really complicates things for me if I have to migrate mods to my Enderal folder from my Skyrim folder - tried already and F'd up BOTH games, which is why I am RE-downloading both! Any help will be appreciated (NMM is a thing of the past now, as I am sure you know) I wonder if it is possible to simply grab just the Enderal Loader.exe from that directory folder once the download/installation are finished, and copy it into the Skyrim directory? Will The Enderal mod recognize any mods I use if I do so? Nexus Mods downloads direct to Vortex, and subsequently to my Skyrim game data folder via that manager as it does NOT recognize Enderal as a game, so you see my potential problem - I am extremely new to this level of installing mods - it was much easier with FO4 and Skyrim SE once I figured out how to migrate my 300 + mods between those two games, over to the Vortex from NMM. But I didn't have to mess around with game folders in that instance. I originally thought I could simply copy/paste any mods for Enderal from my Skyrim data folder, directly to my Enderal data folder, but now I am not sure this is the best course - I am not yet knowledgeable enough to chance missing a file(s), or accidentally adding files that pertain ONLY to Skyrim, or having files overwrite others that they shouldn't and subsequently ruining the Enderal mod - again.

My Game folders are thus:

(K:)> Steam> steamapps> common>

Fallout 4

Skyrim      <<< Vortex installs Enderal mods to this folder from Nexus Mods 

Enderal     <<< How do I get them to work here? 

Skyrim Special Edition

Please advise!!

Edited by DaughertyUSMC
Needed to add something

It is a very strange DLC. It checks to see if you have Skyrim on Steam and then it just runs as an independent game on its own modified engine. Apparently the only reason it is called a DLC is to avoid licensing problems. Enderal loads assets from the Skyrim folder. Even though it loads assets from the Skyrim folder it does not load mods in the DATA folder.

MODDING instructions. 
Copy/paste TES5Edit and all of it's required files into Enderal directory and use it. same with Creation Kit. also use MO2 for mods. just make sure to install a separate "portable" version in it's own folder and be sure to get all of your file paths correct. use the SKSE tab to launch the game. 

I did try this and it works. 

I created my own armor, sword and bow with crafting and improving. I used TESEdit5.

Creation Kit undoubtedly works the same as always, except if you create a new mod you need to use Mod Organizer 2.

This is also necessary when managing load order for other mods you want to use. Mods added to the DATA folder in Enderal will load, but the load order is not managed unless you use MO2.

You really should not need many mods in Enderal it already has a ton of mods built in.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Thank you for this response! I saved this post addy to fav's so I can come back and refer to your reply once I am ready to put your guidance to good use. Atm, I have 12 mods loaded, and yes - direct copy/paste into the data folder, and they work! - no glitches, stutters, freezes, or ctd's. Had one issue earlier where the 1st quest of the questline The First Step I think it was, upon completion of the quest The Void, put the guy behind the cellar bars where the corpse/coffin is in Yero's cellar, and he couldn't meet me at the market. I had to setstage 90 The Void because the bars wouldn't lower to let us in to begin with, to complete THAT quest - I simply couldn't get those damn sticks into the starling locks - I am a bit physically impaired with nerve damage (Combat wound) that affects the dexterity of my hands/fingers, and can't use a controller efficient enough to move that fast - mice and keyboard? NEVER!!. So This action probably pooched things for the beginning of The First Step quest. I noticed a while later while re-starting the game, when I checked the data files in the loader, that an .esm had somehow ended up in the middle of my .esp's. After putting it into it's proper place, no problems since, except that those two quests are probably a lost cause, regrettably. As you can see in my previous post, I have the games FO4 and Skyrim SE as well - both heavily modded, averaging about 300+ mods total, which I have learned to manually manage - I will NEVER use loot, and Vortex tries hard, and be that as it may, it is not as accurate as one could want - I simply will not trust mod managers - not with 140 and 190 mods in my games, respectively. Loot just ran off with the bit between it's teeth and ruined a load order I had carefully arranged prior to trying it out. Vortex is great with helping me solve conflicts - I'll say that much, and be happy with that since it IS NMM's replacement, after all, and all mod downloads via Nexus Mods now default to Vortex, once I installed it. Gotta say, I was a bit miffed after watching Gopher's 2 year-old vid on installing Enderal - back then, apparently, one could still download the loader.exe direct to a chosen destination, throw into the Skyrim directory, and go from there. So Steam comes along and snatches the game up (I call Enderal a game, because it's a frickin' game - DLC my arse!) lol, and makes it now impossible to download/install to anywhere but a main drive partition. As with their dictatorial mandatory game updates - which simply destroy most of our mods that have dependencies on SKSE, F4SE, etc. which creates a huge hassle, they've highjacked the game download method, to the point at which I really …. "dislike" those guys! Thanx for listening, btw! I vent occasionally.

12 hours ago, DaughertyUSMC said:

So Steam comes along and snatches the game up ... and makes it now impossible to download/install to anywhere but a main drive partition. As with their dictatorial mandatory game updates - which simply destroy most of our mods that have dependencies on SKSE, F4SE, etc. which creates a huge hassle, they've highjacked the game download method...

I am not sure what you are referring to by "install to a main-drive partition"...

My Steam folder is on its own drive... not the main drive. Works better that way. I also install SKSE manually and use a desktop shortcut to SKSE to start the game. If it defaults to Steam I simply cancel and restart. This way SKSE bypasses Steam.

Enderal works differently. It automatically loads its own version of SKSE invisibly. You have to have SKSE installed but Enderal starts it.

You can also disable game updates --  RIGHT CLICK the game title on the left side bar list, open PROPERTIES at the bottom, then click the UPDATE tab at the top. There you can set the updates the way you like but most people recommend disabling updates to Fallout and Skyrim or any other game using SKSE.

I have used Vortex to start SKSE. It works fine once you get the file references right.

Anyway, glad to help.

I understand your situation. I worked at Camp Pendelton in the Hospital for three years. 

Edited by Cryzeteur