Gopher's Minions
Sebngarde

Youtube-ing and video-ing

Hi, I'm Sebngarde. You might remember me from other threads asking for help :D

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but here we go.

I decided to start a Youtube channel. Nothing serious, just for fun while I'm in vacation.

Just uploaded my first "test" video and I'm hoping to get some advise :)

I'm new to Youtube-ing so don't expect professional level. If you have any advise, please let me know :)

I'm currently using a Japanese freeware called "AviUtl" for editing and rendering, and I thought I got a good quality... until I uploaded it and the quality dropped xD I'm also recording with Shadowplay in 1080p 60fps.

By the way, right now I'm dealing with 3+ hours to render this 6 mins long video... is that normal?

I tried looking for good software for editing and rendering, but the prices were higher than I was expecting, so I'm stuck with freeware until a sale or something. I know some people make videos with Windows Movie Maker, but I couldn't get good quality with that one either :/

Feel free to leave comments with advise or follow me on twitter @Sebngarde ^^

Anyway, nothing too fancy, but here we go:

That is actually very good quality video for a normal post. Not HD, but good enough for 1080 p.

It is weird watching someone just walk around and listen to the background chatter. You do it in game but don't think about it.

Adding voice over is a whole different game. And then there are special effects.

3 hours for 6 minutes to YT seems like a lot. Did you post produce your raw captured video in an editor?

I will usually render the raw footage to MP4 1080 60fps witha bit rate of 25500 then I up load that to yt.

I use free Fraps to capture  and Powerdirector 13 which cost me $29 bucks to edit my videos with. Here an example sorry is old I haven't recorded in ages.

2 hours ago, OutandBack said:

3 hours for 6 minutes to YT seems like a lot. Did you post produce your raw captured video in an editor?

I will usually render the raw footage to MP3 1080 60fps witha bit rate of 25500 then I up load that to yt.

I use free Fraps to capture  and Powerdirector 13 which cost me $29 bucks to edit my videos with. Here an example sorry is old I haven't recorded in ages.

Awesome! :)

I did edit the video with a program and the save it as an mp4 file. 1080p 60fps about 20000kbps for total bit rate. I’m still trying to understand how everything works and figure out the best settings. Not very sure what “post produce” means, but I’ll look into it and do my second try :D

Power director 13 sounds interesting, I’ll check it out :)

It sure sounds like you did everything right. Gopher has been tweeting he has been having trouble with YT lately. Maybe the YT upload was messed up when you tried to load your footage.

Gophers videos are usually 30-60 minutes can you imaging how long that would take @ 3 hours / 6 minutes? No one would be uploading.

8 hours ago, OutandBack said:

Gophers videos are usually 30-60 minutes can you imaging how long that would take @ 3 hours / 6 minutes? No one would be uploading.

Oh, maybe I didn't explain it correctly... uploading to Youtube takes just a few minutes. What takes time is when I output/save the mp4 from the software (the software call it "encode").

Tried a 15m video the other day and canceled immediately after seeing "11 hours left" xD

I suppose that's because it's a freeware? Or maybe I'm just choosing the "slow" options... I don't know...

And my cpu usage goes to 95% or more in the process... 

EDIT: I'm trying a different plug-in and it took 10 minutes to "encode" the video. This one uses the GPU power as well as CPU so it's faster and more or less the same quality. I'll play with it some more and see if I like the result ^^

Edited by Sebngarde