Gopher's Minions

Hi all. New to the forums, though I've watched Gopher's stuff for a few years now.

I was wondering, has he ever done a video that goes in depth about his current editing process, specifically about how he handles audio and audio levels? I know a quality mic has a lot to do with overall quality of sound, but I'm talking more about how he integrates his mic and game sound? For example, I've been rewatching the last few episodes of the Far Harbor playthrough recently and both sets of sound come through so clearly without overpowering the other. Is he really just using audio ducking or is there something more to it?

If he's made a tutorial or something, and I have just missed it somehow, I'd really appreciate a link. Gopher's sound balance is just really on point and I'd love to learn how to emulate it.

Edited by LizPlays
4 hours ago, LizPlays said:

Hi all. New to the forums, though I've watched Gopher's stuff for a few years now.

I was wondering, has he ever done a video that goes in depth about his current editing process, specifically about how he handles audio and audio levels? I know a quality mic has a lot to do with overall quality of sound, but I'm talking more about how he integrates his mic and game sound? For example, I've been rewatching the last few episodes of the Far Harbor playthrough recently and both sets of sound come through so clearly without overpowering the other. Is he really just using audio ducking or is there something more to it?

If he's made a tutorial or something, and I have just missed it somehow, I'd really appreciate a link. Gopher's sound balance is just really on point and I'd love to learn how to emulate it.

Well, first off... Welcome to the forum. Hope your stay here is enjoyable. We rarely bite... though fire bombs are a common hazard. The cookies are chemically engineered so try a few. I think they are all chocolate chip but I am not really sure...   :P

Gopher's sound is very complicated and has evolved over a long period of time. Number one: he is using a sound proofed studio that he built. Really a closet with sound proofing using the same cone surface used in studios. Second he keeps the window closed so the outside noises are minimized. Such as the sounds of his children playing. Next he does a lot of his recording late at night when it is quietest. He has done videos of his studio but I don't remember what they were called so I can't post a link. He is using a professional microphone, but he has used several so I don't know what he is using now. The last one I saw was not a studio mic. He has a pretty amazing dual computer system using multithreading and I am sure he is cleaning his videos. He does a lot of editing. That is all I know. There are others around here that know more. Maybe Quarico? Or PhilosopherCat? You could go over to Chay's channel and ask him. Gopher might even answer, but he rarely answers directly. If you watch his next couple of update videos he might answer you there.

Edited by Cryzeteur
9 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

Well, first off... Welcome to the forum. Hope your stay here is enjoyable. We rarely bite... though fire bombs are a common hazard. The cookies are chemically engineered so try a few. I think they are all chocolate chip but I am not really sure...   :P

Gopher's sound is very complicated and has evolved over a long period of time. Number one: he is using a sound proofed studio that he built. Really a closet with sound proofing using the same cone surface used in studios. Second he keeps the window closed so the outside noises are minimized. Such as the sounds of his children playing. Next he does a lot of his recording late at night when it is quietest. He has done videos of his studio but I don't remember what they were called so I can't post a link. He is using a professional microphone, but he has used several so I don't know what he is using now. The last one I saw was not a studio mic. He has a pretty amazing dual computer system using multithreading and I am sure he is cleaning his videos. He does a lot of editing. That is all I know. There are others around here that know more. Maybe Quarico? Or PhilosopherCat? You could go over to Chay's channel and ask him. Gopher might even answer, but he rarely answers directly. If you watch his next couple of update videos he might answer you there.

You forgot The Door!
Its a very thick door.
Although its mostly so he doesn't disturb his family, its still a very impressive door.
He's done a couple of office showcase vids, buried on the channel somewhere...

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:46 AM, Goatcha said:

You forgot The Door!
Its a very thick door.
Although its mostly so he doesn't disturb his family, its still a very impressive door.
He's done a couple of office showcase vids, buried on the channel somewhere...

To LizPlays.. you have to see the video, and read all the comments, to understand... and there was stuff in the live streams... it is a long standing joke. The door, with the foam, was so thick that he could barely get in and out of the room.   :lol:

Edited by Cryzeteur

Oh, I have seen the door video. lol I understand.

I have a fairly quiet room. I have a mic on a headset to work with, but I have ways to tweak my voice to make up for that a bit. Its really the balance between the game sound and the mic audio when editing that I need help with. Gopher usually has the game sound at just the right level so that you hear it well and feel like you are playing the game, but also it doesn't overwhelm his commentary. Some of it I can tell is b/c of ducking. Was just wondering if he's ever shared if he does anything else. I've seen some other youtubers suggest things like cutting out certain bits of frequency from the game audio that overlaps with the mic audio, for example.

Also, is this the right forum section to be asking this?

Edited by LizPlays
23 hours ago, LizPlays said:

I have a fairly quiet room. I have a mic on a headset to work with, but I have ways to tweak my voice to make up for that a bit. Its really the balance between the game sound and the mic audio when editing that I need help with. Gopher usually has the game sound at just the right level so that you hear it well and feel like you are playing the game, but also it doesn't overwhelm his commentary. Some of it I can tell is b/c of ducking. Was just wondering if he's ever shared if he does anything else. I've seen some other youtubers suggest things like cutting out certain bits of frequency from the game audio that overlaps with the mic audio, for example.

The last time Gopher mentioned tweaking the audio balance was in The Forest... I think three episodes back. Apparently it is a difficult task. I have tried to do this myself and it is not easy. I did it through the microphone controls in my audio program. As I recall, at that time I had to use a microphone boost addon because my input was low and I finally purchased a $20 tabletop microphone. My problem, still, is my computer fans make sufficient noise that it muffles my voice. I think Gopher isolated his computers from his recording area.

This section is just fine. When you post a topic it becomes a section all by itself in general topics.

Edited by Cryzeteur
On 1/13/2019 at 1:13 PM, LizPlays said:

I do know he records the audio separately to the video which is why he can't use shadowplay. Having separate files is essential.
He also uses a separate mike for voice chat than for recording.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:22 PM, LizPlays said:

The video Gopher made on the process, it is outdated now though. Has since used acoustic treatment panels in the room and the recording process has also evolved with a 4k60 capture device on threadripper rig while he plays on another.

The microphone hasn't changed, he may be using a sidechain compressor for certain videos and rather than ducking it can be configured to raise a different track to match another, He now doesn't have to re-sync his audio constantly as he records in CFR (constant Frame Rate) rather than VFR (Variable Frame Rate) 

He has also talked about a lot of the details in this mini series.

Edited by Caloss2
9 hours ago, Goatcha said:

I do know he records the audio separately to the video which is why he can't use shadowplay. Having separate files is essential.
He also uses a separate mike for voice chat than for recording.

You can use separate audio in shadowplay now; the problem is the bitrate is too low, it records with VFR (Variable Frame Rate) which constantly needs resyncing while editing and the audio bit rate is way too low.

9 hours ago, Caloss2 said:

The video Gopher made on the process, it is outdated now though. Has since used acoustic treatment panels in the room and the recording process has also evolved with a 4k60 capture device on threadripper rig while he plays on another.

The microphone hasn't changed, he may be using a sidechain compressor for certain videos and rather than ducking it can be configured to raise a different track to match another, He now doesn't have to re-sync his audio constantly as he records in CFR (constant Frame Rate) rather than VFR (Variable Frame Rate) 

Spoiler

He has also talked about a lot of the details in this mini series.

Spoiler

Thank you for this information. :) I've already seen both of those videos, but rewatching them can't hurt.

What's a threadripper rig? I know he records with one and plays on another, I've just never heard that term.

And I record my mic audio with audacity, while I record my gameplay with another program. Is constant frame rate something I can choose in an audio recording program's settings? Or is it something determined by hardware?

The sidechain thing is interesting. I'll look into that. When it pulls one track up to match another, does it also dampen that same track if it goes too high? Like, if I suddenly yell into my mic, does it... I have no idea what the technical term is. Modulate it, I guess?

Edited by LizPlays
8 hours ago, LizPlays said:

Thank you for this information. :) I've already seen both of those videos, but rewatching them can't hurt.

What's a threadripper rig? I know he records with one and plays on another, I've just never heard that term.

And I record my mic audio with audacity, while I record my gameplay with another program. Is constant frame rate something I can choose in an audio recording program's settings? Or is it something determined by hardware?

The sidechain thing is interesting. I'll look into that. When it pulls one track up to match another, does it also dampen that same track if it goes too high? Like, if I suddenly yell into my mic, does it... I have no idea what the technical term is. Modulate it, I guess?

Threadripper :- https://www.google.com/search?q=threadripper&oq=threadripper&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2679j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8  

Basically a monster of cpu for content creation and workflow.

There are no frames in audio, only in video; the CFR is or should be an option in the capture software eg OBS. if it's not then dump the software you're using it's vastly out of date.

The industry standard for video is to have a constant frame rate which is why there is no software that natively supports VFR variable frame rate. VFR is simple a file size/overhead saving feature and definitely should not be used for any footage longer than 10mins run time.

I go into more depth myself here in this video.

Just for info... when I record a sound track I record it separately from the video using high quality audio (ACID) It allows me to cut each track the way I want it (voice, sound effects, background, music, whatever) and adjust the sound volume. The best video editing software works the same way on audio.

A threadripper, say 16 threads, is the same as parallel computing in which you have 16 computers all working on part of the task at hand. Computers have an upper limit of around 5 Gbs (gigabits processing per second) but when you split the task into 16 tasks, an ideal system could process the same data at 80 Gbs. Some new systems have hundreds of threads and can perform ideal tasks at 1 Terabyte per second or so. I say ideal tasks because the actual speed depends on the way the threads are used and how the program uses those threads. There is no theoretical limit other than the time it takes to divide processing and run the program but thousand threaded chips are being worked on. Theoretical top speed is maybe 100 Tbs but you get into a lot of poorly understood physics at top speeds. Quantum effects become critical.