Gopher's Minions

2018 : A Great Year For Gaming (in spite of the drama)

6 hours ago, Morrandir said:

I would appreciate 2018 as a great year for gaming, if I owned a ps4, but suffice to say, bethy broke my heart :(

Far Cry 5 and Just Cause 4 were also let downs, 76 I could see coming months before the "BETA" but it turned out worse than I thought.
Still there were some good games.

I used to buy every platform including PC and play everything that came out. However, even back in the 1990s that was not easy to do. Every platform seemed to have one or two new releases every month. There were three or four consoles, and three or four PCs and every PC brand had it's own releases that could only be played on their own machine. The only machine I did not have was a MAC/APPLE and arcade. The quality of games back then was about the same as now. Maybe a half dozen good games a year across all platforms and a couple of hundred so-so and stinker games. Some of the best games were on arcade machines. Really the platforms have changed but gaming is pretty stable (ignoring improvements in technology).

Curiously most of the games people are raving about this year came out on consoles.

That is fine with me. I am happy with Skyrim and Fallout. Although I do have a PS4 and an XBOX which I hardly ever turn on.

I don't know why people were so confused by F76 I explained the game in detail before it came out. If people paid attention they would have not been so surprised. Admittedly it could have been done better, But they did a pretty good version of their proposed game changes. They managed to implement them and it works. I expect Bethesda is quite happy.

However, I am worried about ESVI. I hope they do a simple new game and don't get too inventive. They could ruin it.

Edited by Cryzeteur
12 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I used to buy every platform including PC and play everything that came out. However, even back in the 1990s that was not easy to do. Every platform seemed to have one or two new releases every month. There were three or four consoles, and three or four PCs and every PC brand had it's own releases that could only be played on their own machine. The only machine I did not have was a MAC/APPLE and arcade. The quality of games back then was about the same as now. Maybe a half dozen good games a year across all platforms and a couple of hundred so-so and stinker games. Some of the best games were on arcade machines. Really the platforms have changed but gaming is pretty stable (ignoring improvements in technology).

Curiously most of the games people are raving about this year came out on consoles.

That is fine with me. I am happy with Skyrim and Fallout. Although I do have a PS4 and an XBOX which I hardly ever turn on.

I don't know why people were so confused by F76 I explained the game in detail before it came out. If people paid attention they would have not been so surprised. Admittedly it could have been done better, But they did a pretty good version of their proposed game changes. They managed to implement them and it works. I expect Bethesda is quite happy.

However, I am worried about ESVI. I hope they do a simple new game and don't get too inventive. They could ruin it.

Well, its 10 years away, hopefully they have time to get it right.
New Engine would help, but really they need better coders and bugtesters and to actually listen to the bugtesters and the community, maybe take a look at the most popular mods and incorporate them.
Starfield is the next worry really, but we shall see, hopefully they learned a thing or two this year.

On 1/1/2019 at 7:04 AM, Goatcha said:

Far Cry 5 and Just Cause 4 were also let downs, 76 I could see coming months before the "BETA" but it turned out worse than I thought.
Still there were some good games.

I'm with Morrandir on this one. PlayStation for the win.

In fact since 2015 (post Witcher3) Sony and the playstations has been the only platform with games I wanted to play.

I watch several youtubers video game focused with their best games of 2016,17,18 and I just shake my head and of course whats offer for PC is the worst.

My gaming PC is 6 years old (GTX780) and I have zero interest in building a new system to play a newly released game.

fraps frame rate upper left corner of screen. No action monitor set for 120hz. click pict for larger image.

31395925797_ca6a3f74b9_c.jpg

Even when the crap is hitting the fan and I have 10-20 active monsters jumping, shooting, and fighting my FR holds pretty dam well.

45659967065_1b4e18ab0b_c.jpg

Since everybody but Bethesda was a fraid to release a game while RedDead II was hot

2019 does show promiss with Metro Exodus and The Outer Worlds.