Gopher's Minions

EU and the proposed Article 13 !?!

OutandBack

The biggest problem here imo (and probably many other EU countries) regarding this law is that most of the MEPs are around 50 years old, which means that they don't know anything about how the internet works as a whole. Atm, in France, 61 MEPS are supporting the article and only 10 against. How could you convince an old lady that this law is wrong ? Even if she understood what it really means, she would probably still vote for it because it's in her principles. She might also say "That's good because this way, people will move away from the  internet and live more like I was doing 30 years ago!"

4 hours ago, Silverthorn1111 said:

The biggest problem here imo (and probably many other EU countries) regarding this law is that most of the MEPs are around 50 years old, which means that they don't know anything about how the internet works as a whole. Atm, in France, 61 MEPS are supporting the article and only 10 against. How could you convince an old lady that this law is wrong ? Even if she understood what it really means, she would probably still vote for it because it's in her principles. She might also say "That's good because this way, people will move away from the  internet and live more like I was doing 30 years ago!"

Change 30 to 40.

It is frustrating explaining YouTube videos to people over 60.

21 hours ago, Silverthorn1111 said:

The biggest problem here imo (and probably many other EU countries) regarding this law is that most of the MEPs are around 50 years old, which means that they don't know anything about how the internet works as a whole.

This^^^ I agree.

And it's not only the MEPs. The very people behind this proposal don't even have the basic understanding of how copyright works. As exhibited yesterday:
from Julia Reda @Senficon Twitter thread yesterday (in German):

Julia Reda @Senficon

(Google translated)
In the committee on legal affairs, Mr. Voss says that #Artikel13 would only allow platforms to upload protected content. Even after years of debate, he ignores that uploading protected content can not be prevented, neither technically nor through the business model.

3:21 AM - 19 Feb 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

(Google translated)
Another misunderstanding: dating sites like Tinder are not covered, says Voss, because there are only occasionally a protected photo, but not large quantities. But * every * photo is protected by photo protection, not just professional photographers. #Artikel13

3:24 AM - 19 Feb 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

(Google translated)
After this speech I can only conclude: @AxelVossMdEP does not know that all copyright and performance is protected by copyright. These are of course ideal conditions for negotiating a copyright reform. :rolleyes:#Artikel13 #SaveYourInternet #Uploadfilter

3:26 AM - 19 Feb 2019

The EU Council has accepted the results of the trilogue.

Julia Reda @Senficon

EU Council #coreper accepts #copyright trilogue deal! Netherlands, Finland, Luxembourg, Italy & Poland against, because “the Directive does not strike the right balance between the protection of right holders and the interests of EU citizens and companies”. #SaveYourInternet

5:34 AM - 20 Feb 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

Read the full statement of the 5 countries who voted against the #copyright deal. Shameful for Germany to vote in favour despite a coalition agreement against #UploadFilter! More protests announced for March 23! https://www.permanentrepresentations.nl/permanent-representations/pr-eu-brussels/documents/policy-notes/2019/02/20/joint-statement-regarding-the-copyright-directive  #SaveYourInternet #Article11 #Article13

5:43 AM - 20 Feb 2019

It's down to the EU Parliament vote as predicted.

Full statement from the Netherlands, Finland, Luxembourg, Italy & Poland:

Spoiler

Statement of the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Poland, Italy and Finland to point 39 of the CRP I agenda of 20 February 2019 regarding the DIRECTIVE OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL on copyright in the Digital Single Market.

The objectives of this Directive were to enhance the good functioning of the internal market and to stimulate innovation, creativity, investment and production of new content, also in the digital environment. The signatories support these objectives. Digital technologies have radically changed the way content is produced, distributed and accessed. The legislative framework needs to reflect and guide these changes.

However, in our view, the final text of the Directive fails to deliver adequately on the above-mentioned aims. We believe that the Directive in its current form is a step back for the Digital Single Market rather than a step forward.

Most notably we regret that the Directive does not strike the right balance between the protection of right holders and the interests of EU citizens and companies. It therefore risks to hinder innovation rather than promote it and to have a negative impact the competitiveness of the European Digital Single Market.

Furthermore, we feel that the Directive lacks legal clarity, will lead to legal uncertainty for many stakeholders concerned and may encroach upon EU citizens’ rights.

We therefore cannot express our consent with the proposed text of the Directive.

Edited by Eliorim
add full statement from the Netherlands, Finland, Luxembourg, Italy & Poland

I have always firmly believed, that we are better off working together than we are apart. However, I have begun to lose faith, not in that sentiment, but in the willingness and ability of the people who are supposed to make that happen. It is a small comfort to know my own country did not support this. Policy not being what I want, I can live with. Policy being made by people not understanding what they are doing, is inexcusable.

The European Parliament Committee on Legal Affairs voted today and, as expected, approved the agreed upon text of the European Copyright Directive.

Julia Reda @Senficon

As expected, @EP_Legal just approved the #copyright deal, paving the way for the final vote in plenary. I’ll let you know who voted how in a minute. #Article13 #SaveYourInternet

6:18 AM - 26 Feb 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

This is how MEPs in the @EP_Legal voted on #copyright today. This vote paved the way for the final vote in plenary, where we can stop #Article11 and #Article13! Call your MEPs now! https://pledge2019.eu/en  #Pledge2019 #SaveYourInternet #Uploadfilter

lG2lvpN.jpg

6:35 AM - 26 Feb 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

In favour: Voss, Becker, Svoboda, Lamassoure, Lavrilleux, Didier, Radev @EPP
Honeyball, Rozière, Gasbarra @TheProgressives
Cavada, Pinto @ALDEgroup
Karim @ecrgroup
Monot @EFDgroup
Boutonnet, Lebreton @ENF_EP
#Article13 #Article11 #SaveYourInternet #Uploadfilter

6:37 AM - 26 Feb 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

Against: Wölken, Gebhardt, Geringer @TheProgressives
Reda, Andersson, Hautala @GreensEP
Zlotowski @ecrgroup
Adinolfi @EFDgroup
Spinelli @GUENGL
#Article13 #Article11 #SaveYourInternet #Uploadfilter

6:40 AM - 26 Feb 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

By the way: Over a quarter of the MEPs who voted on #copyright in @EP_Legal today are representatives of France. All of them voted in favour. In the plenary, French MEPs make up less than 10%. Majorities will look very different. #SaveYourInternet #Article11 #Article13

7:09 AM - 26 Feb 2019

EU citizens, call your MEPs https://pledge2019.eu/

Edited by Eliorim

Obligatory political dirty pool. <_<

https://twitter.com/Senficon/status/1102564813912395778

Julia Reda @Senficon

Breaking: @ManfredWeber and the @EPPGroup want the vote on #Article13 and the Copyright Directive moved ahead to next week to pre-empt the #SaveYourInternet/#StopACTA2 protests! We need a public outcry to stop this!

5:41 AM - 4 Mar 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

To stop the © vote from being rushed through before the #SaveYourInternet protests, reach out to the political groups' leaders:
@EPPgroup: @ManfredWeber
@TheProgressives: @UdoBullmann
@ECRgroup: @SyedKamall
@ALDEgroup: @guyverhofstadt
(Greens & Left will vote against)

6:02 AM - 4 Mar 2019

After a series of spontaneous protests across Germany, the motion to move the copyright vote to next week has been DENIED.

Julia Reda @Senficon

(Julia Reda Retweeted Change.org DE)

About 2000 people have gathered spontaneously outside @CDU party headquarters in Berlin right now, after @ManfredWeber tried to move the vote on #copyright #Article13 ahead to next week. They shout "We are no bots!" https://twitter.com/ChangeGER/status/1102981122147958785  #SaveYourInternet

9:58 AM - 5 Mar 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

(Julia Reda Retweeted Sascha Moser)

Additional spontaneous protests against #Article13 of the #copyright directive have formed in Cologne, Munich, Stuttgart and Frankfurt tonight. Here’s a video from Frankfurt: https://twitter.com/sascha_moser/status/1102996546021478400  #SaveYourInternet #artikel13Demo

10:52 AM - 5 Mar 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

At today‘s informal meeting of political groups, @EPPGroup explicitly upheld its request to move the #copyright vote ahead to next week. After NONE of the other groups supported them, they finally gave in and said they won’t pursue it further. #SaveYourInternet #Article13

7:30 AM - 6 Mar 2019 [tweet now deleted]

Julia Reda @Senficon

Can confirm now that the final vote on #copyright won’t be moved ahead to next week. In case you’re wondering about a missing tweet, I was asked not to disclose details of the informal meeting held today. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #SaveYourInternet #Article13

8:06 AM - 6 Mar 2019

Edited by Eliorim
typo

The plenary debate is set for March 26th. The vote will take place the same day or the day following.

Julia Reda @Senficon

The plenary debate on the #copyright reform is announced for 26 March! That means we can expect the final vote to take place on 26 or 27 March, I will keep you in the loop. #SaveYourInternet #Article11 #Article13

12:24 AM - 12 Mar 2019

It's nearly time. Less than a week to go. The time of the vote has now been set – Tuesday, March 26th, 12:30 CET.

Julia Reda @Senficon

Correction: The votes will start at 12:30 on Tuesday, not at 12. https://twitter.com/Senficon/status/1108643538194087936  #SaveYourInternet #Article13

Julia Reda added,

Julia Reda @Senficon
It's official: The vote on the #copyright directive will take place Tuesday, March 26 at noon! This is the earliest possible time to vote, supporters of #Article11 and #Article13 are getting nervous. Time to turn out in droves for the protests on Saturday! https://savetheinternet.info/demos 
5:34 AM - 21 Mar 2019

Lots of news and back-and-forth going on on a daily basis. Most of it in Germany. This means most news I read tend to be in German. Since I don't speak it and I rely on Google Translate to understand, I like to avoid posting any machine translations that are prone to errors.

However the general gist of what has been going on is, both sides of the debate are digging into their trenches and defending their stance firmly, media campaigns underway. Protests and debate from those against VS sabotage, propaganda half-truths (lying either directly or by omission) from proponents. So, I'd say the usual daily politics.

• Axel Voss admitting, yet again, he does not understand the internet and does not care:

Axel Voss (Google Translate): "With a view to technical solutions our position is: yes, it may be that something gets blocked that shouldn't be. It's a safe assumption it won't work 100%. I'm not an engineer and can't explain to you whether [filters] can really identify remixes correctly. But on Google there's also that page where you can click on memes--an actual section."
https://www.vice.com/de/article/vbw8zy/streit-um-uploadfilter-und-artikel13-wie-axel-voss-das-internet-sieht

Facepalms all around... So when 130 European digital companies tell you you are wrong, you don't listen? 👏 /slow clap

• EU Progressives will recommend to their MEPs to vote for copyright deal despite opposition:

Julia Reda @Senficon

Julia Reda Retweeted Mehreen

Apparently @TheProgressives will recommend to their MEPs to vote for the #copyright deal, including #Article13, despite opposition from German SPD & others. We must do more to convince MEPs all over Europe to reject #Uploadfilters!

Julia Reda added,

5:10 AM - 20 Mar 2019

• The petition to save the internet has surpassed 5 million signatures.

• At a press conference, Axel Voss has confirmed threats to MEPs from some press publishers that if they voted against the copyright directive they would receive unfavorable or no coverage during the next election campaign. Says "it is completely normal". When pressed, lies about it happening. :rolleyes:

Julia Reda @Senficon

At a press conference in Berlin, @AxelVossMdEP confirmed rumours that some press publishers have threatened parliamentarians with bad election coverage if they vote against the #copyright reform. Voss does not consider this problematic. #Article11 #Article13 #SaveYourInternet

3:33 AM - 21 Mar 2019

Axel Voss MdEP @AxelVossMdEP

Replying to @Senficon

That’s obviously a lie - there have been no threats by press publishers at all ... this is another attempt by Julia Reda trying to mislead the public opinion

3:57 AM - 21 Mar 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

Replying to @AxelVossMdEP
Julia Reda Retweeted Daniel Bouhs

The question was whether you can confirm that this happened and you said yes. Here’s the recording.

Julia Reda added,

Daniel Bouhs @daniel_bouhs
"Das ist völlig normal": Axel Voss über das Lobbying der Verlage (4' Video) --> https://www.facebook.com/dbouhs/videos/10156986351864360/ 
Show this thread
5:05 AM - 21 Mar 2019

Article 13 ----> Article 17
Article 11 ----> Article 15

• The final version of the Copyright Directive is online now. Article 13 has been renumbered and is now Article 17.  Both the old and the new numbers will show up on MEPs’ voting lists.
Full text (PDF): http://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/A-8-2018-0245-AM-271-271_EN.pdf
(Article 17 on pages 120-129)

Julia Reda @Senficon

The official version of the #copyright trilogue agreement is online now, translations will follow shortly. Don’t get a heart attack when you see #Article13 has been renumbered #Article17, both the old and the new numbers will show up on MEPs’ voting lists. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/A-8-2018-0245-AM-271-271_EN.pdf 
7:44 AM - 21 Mar 2019

Also Article 11 is renumbered to Article 15 (pages 116-118).

• Protests in the EU, planned for Saturday, March 23rd:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1tHaOiCgjION6hK0rrajIJyuHnG5FgBzH&ll=53.6494794453839%2C12.823461035873834&z=4&fbclid=IwAR26FpLf_NQGKNfJEZ8pTPxDw-wEk-TE4cmjM5E9m-ZBzhynq7hP0gkTPoA

https://savetheinternet.info/demos

@OutandBack I have to say (((thanks back at you))) for opening this topic. I was apprehensive to do it myself as it is basically politics and that is explicitly against forum rules. So, thank you for recognizing the importance of this issue and at least being curious enough about the happenings over here in the EU to start the topic. It has made me feel less helpless than I would have probably and a good place to vent.

Regardless of how this plays out, I will be glad this was discussed and somewhat documented in this forum.

Good news coming from Poland. gopherVaultStiv

Julia Reda @Senficon

Julia Reda Retweeted Michał Boni

Our efforts to defeat #Article13 just got a huge boost! Polish @Platforma_org will vote AGAINST the #copyright directive unless #Article13 is deleted! They're the second largest single political party in EPP after @CDU. Thanks @MichalBoni https://twitter.com/MichalBoni/status/1109057398566764544  #SaveYourInternet

Julia Reda added,

Michał Boni @MichalBoni
Jeśli #artykuł13 dyrektywy #prawoautorskie nie zostanie usunięty, będziemy głosować przeciwko! @Platforma_org !!!!
5:33 AM - 22 Mar 2019

Edited by Eliorim

Yesterday, in Germany, in more than 45 cities, about 200.000 people demonstrated peacefully for a free internet.

Julia Reda @Senficon

OH: "We had to change the demo route, the roads are too narrow." B)#Artikel13Demo

7:20 AM - 23 Mar 2019

https://www.facebook.com/Savetheinternetinfo/photos/a.557868017940024/744322905961200/?type=3&theater

Savetheinternet.info
It took longer, but finally we can publish a total number of participants for Germany. On March 23, around 200,000 people demonstrated peacefully in over 45 cities for a free Internet and against #Artikel13!
Translated

Change.org DE @ChangeGER

Participants #artikel13demo 💪

Munich 50,000 (organizer details)
Munich 40,000 (police arrivals)
Berlin 30,000 (organizer details)
Cologne 10,000 (organizer details)
Düsseldorf 4,000 (police arrivals)
Hamburg 6,000 (police surrender)

8:08 AM - 23 Mar 2019 from Berlin, Germany

https://twitter.com/ChangeGER/status/1109472016871186434

A (facepalm inducing) smear campaign was attempted by a member of Germany's governing SDU/CDU coalition, stating that protesters were being payed €450 each by American NGOs to participate claiming meddling from the US. This is untrue as EDRi (European Digital Rights) is NOT a US organization and ridiculous as it would require a total of €90.000.000 to fund. Really, really? :rolleyes:
https://www.bild.de/politik/ausland/politik-inland/upload-filter-im-europarlament-abgeordneter-bekommt-morddrohung-60746158.bild.html

Apparently it is about travel expenses totaling €15.000 payed to 12 activists on a lobbying trip to Brussels by EDRi (European Digital Rights).

Leading German MEP Claims Copyright Protesters are Bought: Here are the TWELVE People He’s Talking About
https://medium.com/@emanuelkarlsten/german-mep-claims-copyright-protesters-are-bought-here-are-the-twelve-people-hes-talking-about-8f836be3056e

(Google translate)

Daniel Caspary, chairman of the CDU / CSU group in the European Parliament, even accuses US corporations of unfair means of attempting to torpedo the reform - and thus saves royalty payments. Caspary to BILD: "The fight against a fair payment of musicians, journalists, photographers and other creatives is done by all means."

Caspary's suspicions: "Now, of course, they are trying to prevent the adoption of the copyright directive, even with purchased demonstrators. Up to €450 is offered by a so-called NGO for the demonstration. The money seems to come, at least in part, from large US internet companies. When US companies with their massive use of disinformation and purchased protesters try to prevent laws, our democracy is threatened."

Julia Reda @Senficon

Dear @caspary, that's nonsense. @edri has reimbursed travel expenses to members & volunteers who have traveled to Brussels for meetings with MEPs. Do you think that if @gema_news invites its members to Brussels, they have to pay their own travel expenses? #Artikel13Demo

10:24 AM - 23 Mar 2019

Dennis Horn @horn

Dennis Horn Retweeted

The money was given by @je5perl to around 20 activists, the budget was around 15,000 euros. This is a picture of the journey.

Dennis Horn added,

mab @EveDaRib

Another day in which we prove digital rights exist and walk among us - #SYIonTour! Join us & #SaveYourInternet, the fight is very tight! Your call can make an enormous difference. Be polite & get your MEP to pledge for #DeleteArt13 ! #pledge2019 #FixCopyright

10:29 AM - 23 Mar 2019 from Dormagen, Germany

Dennis Horn @horn

A well-known civil rights organization is doing its job paying 20 activists a lobbying trip to Strasbourg. This is something else than a mysterious NGO, which is massively demonstrators on a #artikel13demo . Or what 450 euros are you talking about, @caspary?

10:38 AM - 23 Mar 2019 from Dormagen, Germany

Edited by Eliorim

Tomorrow's copyright vote as explained by Julia Reda MEP. See if this makes any sense. I'm confused a.f. gopherMoo

https://juliareda.eu/2019/03/copyright-vote-explained/

There is unprecedented public opposition against Article 13 and other aspects of the EU Copyright Directive: This weekend, up to 200.000 people took to the streets across Europe. Meanwhile, the petition against it has reached the incredible milestone of 5 million signatures. Will the European Parliament listen?

Panorama photo from the Berlin protest

Scrollable panorama photo from the Berlin protest

Tuesday, March 26 12:30 CET is the moment of truth: All 751 Members of the European Parliament will vote on the law. The vote will be streamed live.

Here’s what will be voted on specifically:

1. Reject the entire law?

• Vote on the most far-reaching proposed change: The rejection of the entire Copyright Directive (Amendment 266, EFDD group)

If a majority of those present is in favour, there will be no copyright reform. This is highly unlikely.

2. Allow changes?

An MEP will request to hold votes on specific proposed changes (amendments) to the law, giving a short speech explaining why this should be done. Axel Voss will speak on why it shouldn’t.

• Vote on whether to allow votes on changes

If a majority is in favour, proceed to #3
Else proceed to #4B

3. Votes on changes

• Vote to approve the parts of the law that nobody requested to change – likely to pass

Then MEPs will vote on proposals for changes:

I. Article 11 – the “link tax”

• Delete Article 11? (Amendments 267+270 filed by/on behalf of 108 MEPs)
  • Otherwise: Keep Article 11 as is?

(In the unlikely event that neither of the options receive support, Article 11 is reverted to the Commission’s original proposal from 2016.)

II. Article 13 – upload filters

• Delete Article 13? (Amendments 257+265+268+269 filed by/on behalf of 205 MEPs)
  • Otherwise: Keep Article 13 as is?
  • Otherwise: New wording for Article 13 (Amendment 260, GUE group) – unlikely to pass

(In the unlikely event that none of the options receive support, Article 13 is reverted to the Commission’s original proposal from 2016.)

III. Other changes

• Insert an article on ”non-retroactivity” and various new recitals (explanatory remarks)? (Amendments 253-256 + 258 + 259 + 261, GUE group) – not coordinated with other groups and thus very unlikely to pass.
  • Clean up: Delete recitals relating to Article 13? (Amendments 262-264, several S&D MEPs)

4. Adopt the law

If the above votes changed the text (anything but “keep as is” got a majority):

A. Adopt the changed law

• At this point, Axel Voss could request a vote to send the text back to the Legal Affairs Committee so he can try again to negotiate in trilogue a text that has majority support
  • Otherwise: Vote on whether to adopt the law with the changes just made. The law will then be sent to the Council (representing the EU member state governments), which will have two choices: Accept the Parliament’s changes and thus automatically pass the law, or reject them and thus continue negotiations.
  • Otherwise: Vote on the original Commission text from 2016 – very unlikely

If further negotiations are needed, they would need to take place after the European elections in May – it’s hard to predict the outcome, since the responsible Commissioner as well as the majorities in the Parliament will change.

If, however, the Parliament voted not to allow changes, or the votes on changes ended up not actually modifying the law (the “keep as is” options won and no other proposals were adopted):

B. Adopt the law unchanged

• Vote to adopt the law unchanged (Amendment 271, JURI Committee)
  • Finally, there will be a vote to officially take note of a statement by the Commission that it will look into new rights for sports event organisers  (Amendment 272, Voss/JURI Committee) – the Parliament had proposed adding such a right to the Copyright Directive, but it was subsequently dropped in trilogue.

The final remaining step is then for the Council to adopt the law as well, which is likely to take place on April 9. However, Germany, whose Minister of Justice has come out in opposition of upload filters, could still retract its support, which would make a majority unlikely and thus also lead to further negotiations after the EU elections in May.

To the extent possible under law, the creator has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.

Also here is a presentation of the issues at hand Julia Reda made for the Australian Digital Alliance, where she goes in depth through the history of copyright reform and this latest attempt. Duration 42:22.
#Article13: Copyright's latest attack on the web

You win some, you lose some... <_<

Julia Reda @Senficon

Julia Reda Retweeted Dennis de Jong

Disappointing: Dutch @GUENGL MEPs want to vote in favour of the #copyright deal, including #Article11 and #Article13:

Julia Reda added,

Dennis de Jong @DdJong
(Google translate)As an SP, we remain opposed to internet censorship, but after having spoken extensively with all those involved, we are going to vote for the Copyright Directive in Strasbourg next week. Artists also earn a fair wage. See the explanation in my weeklog: https://www.sp.nl/column/dennis-jong/2019/weeklog-bittere-strijd-rondom-auteursrecht …
2:12 AM - 25 Mar 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

I am particularly disappointed by the decision of @DdJong to vote in favour of the #copyright deal, because he had signed http://pledge2019.eu  promising to vote against unless #Article13 is deleted! It seems they removed their signatures, it used to be 126, now it's 124.

3:02 AM - 25 Mar 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

Incredible! @guyverhofstadt refused to have a debate on #copyright in @ALDEgroup today, the official voting recommendation will be to vote IN FAVOUR of the copyright deal, including #Article11 and #Article13! When did liberals start opposing Internet freedoms? #SaveYourInternet

9:22 AM - 25 Mar 2019

Plot twist... You could not make this up.

The German government allegedly traded its support for the copyright directive, for French concessions on a pipeline transporting Russian gas.
(Google Translate)
Altmaier sacrifices copyright-based startups
The new copyright will strain small businesses. The government has waived important exceptions - for gas from Russia?

https://edition.faz.net/faz-edition/wirtschaft/2019-03-26/altmaier-opfert-start-ups-im-urheberrecht/286741.html

:o

Julia Reda @Senficon

Julia Reda Retweeted Hendrik Wieduwilt

Breaking: German newspaper FAZ reports its investigation found strong indications that Germany traded its support for the #copyright deal for French concessions on Russian gas #northstream2 https://twitter.com/hwieduwilt/status/1110272257971097600  #Article11 #Article13 #SaveYourInternet

Julia Reda added,

Hendrik Wieduwilt @hwieduwilt
(Google Translate) Exclusive: Why Altmaier renounced the copyright on 20 million exception for start-ups and what the gas from Russia has to do with it. #CopyrightDirective http://edition.faz.net/faz-edition/wirtschaft/2019-03-26/f30a5870c08cc1e1b4524c1be19d1faf?GEPC=s3  #FAZedition via @faznet

1:35 PM - 25 Mar 2019

I wonder if this could be reason enough to postpone tomorrow's vote until this is investigated. 🤔

12 hours ago, Eliorim said:

I wonder if this could be reason enough to postpone tomorrow's vote until this is investigated. 🤔

Nope guess not.

The debate this morning was really hard to watch. Inhumane amounts of facepalm. Big kudos to MEP Julia Reda for fighting like a lioness against this torrent of ignorance.

I have a bad feeling. :mellow:

The vote is coming up in 20 minutes.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/plenary/en/home.html

The copyright directive is adopted, in it's entirety. A motion to vote on the amendments one-by-one has been rejected.

A sad and dark day for independent creators, a sad day for the internet, and a sad day for freedom. :(

I'm lost for words right now.

Have some quotes.

Julia Reda @Senficon

Dark day for internet freedom: The @Europarl_EN has rubber-stamped copyright reform including #Article13 and #Article11. MEPs refused to even consider amendments. The results of the final vote: 348 in favor, 274 against #SaveYourInternet
iU6ftnI.jpg

4:53 AM - 26 Mar 2019

Julia Reda @Senficon

Voting on individual amendments (like the proposal to delete #Article13) was rejected by a majority of just 5 votes. #SaveYourInternet
BQcO2Ft.jpg

4:56 AM - 26 Mar 2019

Edited by Eliorim
words

How the EU parliament voted on the copyright directive.

Raw data:
https://juliareda.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/copyrightvote.pdf

Details:

Julia Reda @Senficon

How the political groups voted on #uploadfilters and the #linktax:
@eppgroup overwhelmingly in favour
@theprogressives & @aldegroup significantly in favour
@GreensEP & @GUENGL overwhelmingly opposed #SaveYourInternet
MIIa5tM.jpg

7:41 AM - 26 Mar 2019

@OutandBack Yes this is an excellent video. Sums it up nicely.

Interesting note on the yesterday's vote(s). A word of warning before you continue reading – it might induce multiple involuntary facepalms, the likes of which you haven't experienced since you last played XCOM.

Remember how voting on individual amendments (like the proposal to delete #Article13) was rejected by a majority of just 5 votes? Well, there were corrections to the vote because some MEPs failed to pay attention to what they were voting on or which button they were pressing. With the corrections accounted for, voting on individual amendments would have been accepted by a margin of 12 votes in favor ( + 320| - 308| o 25), leading to a possibility of voting on articles 11 and 13 individually and possibly rejecting them. Possibly the most important vote marooned due to late onset attention deficit disorder.

Marietje Schaake @MarietjeSchaake

A very inconvenient truth about the #copyright vote: after corrections of votes (allowed for the record but without changing the outcome of the vote) there would have been a majority for voting for or against 11&13. History is a dime on its side ↘️ (P. 51) http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//NONSGML+PV+20190326+RES-RCV+DOC+PDF+V0//EN&language=EN 

1:31 PM - 26 Mar 2019

Marietje Schaake @MarietjeSchaake

Marietje Schaake Retweeted Wout van Wijk

People corrected their votes on the record, which does bot change the end result, but does reveal there would have been a majority for voting on amendments if MEPs would have voted as they later indicated they would have #copyright

Marietje Schaake added,

Wout van Wijk @woutvanwijk
Replying to @MarietjeSchaake
How so? There was a (small) majority against voting on the amendments: 312 in favour, 317 against.
2:44 PM - 26 Mar 2019

Ironic, isn't it? The internet ruined by a miss-click. Ten of them. Ain't that poetic.

Edited by Eliorim