Gopher's Minions
OutandBack

FALLOUT 76 - Key Binding | RANT!

Bethesda just doesn't care.  

I would, before fallout4, categorise myself as a bethesda fanboy, even though the writing was on the wall, especially ever since skyrim.  I love skyrim mind you but warning signals were being given off by the terrible UI and mouse control in the interface (such as accidentally clicking on the wrong dialogue option due to how the dialogue interface was laid out), and I just can not play skyrim without skyui, it is impossible, and then came fallout 4 with nonsensical keybinds that could not be change such as L-ALT being used for bash and grenade throwing and the infuriating fusion core eject if you had the perk. (Gopher is not the only one accidentally nuking himself in that game).

Bethesda has transitioned full on from being a pc game developer to a console game developer that makes shoddy console ports for the PC.

Its just so basic, and Gopher is right, loads of people still use arrow keys, even on normal keyboards.
Taking a wild guess here, but I expect its easier for Left-handed people than WASDA for one thing.

4 hours ago, Graeme Jones said:

They've had 3 years, 3 damn years to get key binding fixed. No excuses, absolutely none, zero. I'd love to hear them try to come up with an excuse, then lmao at it. Yes I would.

Most keyboard and mouse players are over 30 years old now. The future has always been controllers. Even CDPR saw that with witcher 3 and controller for PC. Anytime I have seen videos of the Bethesda management playing they have controllers in their hands.

More and more PC gamers are using controllers even popular PC game LPers. You can tell by the key prompts that come up when choices need to be made.

So my answer to the question is it's just not important to them.

PC ports are the smallest group in the gaming world and Keyboard and mouse users are getting smaller and smaller.

I'm sure modders will fix this like they have in the past.

Even if controllers are becoming more and more popular, that's still no excuse for not having support for custom keybindings.

Even on consoles people use different control schemes and button layouts, even for the same games, so being able to rebind the controls to whatever you need/want them to be should be standard fair by now, regardless of whether you're preferred peripheral is a controller or a mouse/keyboard.

Edited by Sup3rNo7a

50 minutes ago, Sup3rNo7a said:

Even if controllers are becoming more and more popular, that's still no excuse for not having support for custom keybindings.

Even on consoles people use different control schemes and button layouts, even for the same games, so being able to rebind the controls to whatever you need/want them to be should be standard fair by now, regardless of whether you're preferred peripheral is a controller or a mouse/keyboard.

If I understood what Gopher said in the video you can rebind but some of them are broken like when using c.a.m.p. if you rebound to arrows. I don't believe he had any trouble playing the game using arrows instead of the default wsadz. Here's hoping he reported the issue to the official BETA forum. I am pretty sure if they know it was him doing the reporting they would give it more thought.

I enjoyed the Beta using an XBOX controller on PC. I like controller response and the available controls suit a controller.

I did notice the increased complexity and detail of the environment. Very Nice. And I agree with Gopher that the game feels like Fallout.

I had 60 fps for most of the time. Towards evening I had massive fps drop during events and at certain places and during certain animations.

I wonder how many PCers actually rely on rebinding as much as Gopher does?  :)

Edited by Cryzeteur

I am also using a controller on my PC.

I had another wonderful 4 hours of gameplay tonight. Still no water in the lakes or streams. I only made it to lvl 13 but I am really not trying to lvl.

I have noticed some NPC AI's seem to not know what to do. They will stand there and let you shoot them in the head until they are dead.

Why would this games AI seem less responsive than FO4's? Shouldn't they be the same NPC's reskined?

Something interesting tonight. I saw my first WANTED lvl10 so I decided to go investigate.

He had built a home with turrets on top but as i creped around the mini fort I layed about 20 land mines.

When I got within 20 feet of the front door which was open I could see him and was lining up a shot when I noted there were two guys in the shack.

I open the map and sure enough he was hiding a lvl 20 friend.  The wanted badge is 4 times larger that a regular yellow player and if they stand beside each other the yellow is blocked from view. I fired one shot into the front door and ran like hell. I heard two of my mines go off and got the notice

he had to shoot back at me before PVP could start. SCREW that I should have been able to kill him without gettting shot first. So I booked it knowing these guys were just setting a trap for the unsuspecting lvl12. Anyway got away  I hope he finds a few more of my mines hidden in the tall grass surrounding his fort.

13 minutes ago, OutandBack said:

I am also using a controller on my PC.

I had another wonderful 4 hours of gameplay tonight. Still no water in the lakes or streams. I only made it to lvl 13 but I am really not trying to lvl.

I have noticed some NPC AI's seem to not know what to do. They will stand there and let you shoot them in the head until they are dead.

Why would this games AI seem less responsive than FO4's? Shouldn't they be the same NPC's reskined?

Something interesting tonight. I saw my first WANTED lvl10 so I decided to go investigate.

He had built a home with turrets on top but as i creped around the mini fort I layed about 20 land mines.

When I got within 20 feet of the front door which was open I could see him and was lining up a shot when I noted there were two guys in the shack.

I open the map and sure enough he was hiding a lvl 20 friend.  The wanted badge is 4 times larger that a regular yellow player and if they stand beside each other the yellow is blocked from view. I fired one shot into the front door and ran like hell. I heard two of my mines go off and got the notice

he had to shoot back at me before PVP could start. SCREW that I should have been able to kill him without gettting shot first. So I booked it knowing these guys were just setting a trap for the unsuspecting lvl12. Anyway got away  I hope he finds a few more of my mines hidden in the tall grass surrounding his fort.

Ii don't know why I am not leveling up. I am only level 7. All day I only gained 1 level. Of course I spent all day trying to do the Top Of The World quest which is very difficult. I was way off the map where other players were playing most of the time. In fact an odd thing... There were only 6 players on my server. You would think Saturday would have been a big day to play. Are people getting bored so quickly?

2 minutes ago, Cryzeteur said:

Ii don't know why I am not leveling up. I am only level 7. All day I only gained 1 level. Of course I spent all day trying to do the Top Of The World quest which is very difficult. I was way off the map where other players were playing most of the time. In fact an odd thing... There were only 6 players on my server. You would think Saturday would have been a big day to play. Are people getting bored so quickly?

If you follow the overseer/main quest you will lvl like crazy. I am saving that for when the game releases. I just want to explore the world and learn the lvling/crafting systems.

Theres a old military boot camp, the overseer went to,  that you gain two lvls just by completing the boot camp it takes about 30 minutes to complete and you also have a military helmet and fatgues when its over.

9 hours ago, OutandBack said:

If you follow the overseer/main quest you will lvl like crazy. I am saving that for when the game releases. I just want to explore the world and learn the lvling/crafting systems.

Theres a old military boot camp, the overseer went to,  that you gain two lvls just by completing the boot camp it takes about 30 minutes to complete and you also have a military helmet and fatgues when its over.

Even so, Level Gated items really breaks immersion and is fundamentally stupid in a survival rpg.
The whole keybinding thing, its not just that the keybinds don't work properly or that things are hard-coded, but on top of that some of the hard-coded buttons make no damn sense.
They run counter to the standard setups on similar games that we have gotten used to for decades.  Tab for back? V instead of Enter?

Also whoever it was that decided that a Multiplayer game doesn't need voice chat needs to be fired. The encounter  with that German just proved it.

12 hours ago, OutandBack said:

Well, I did follow the Overseer to Charlston, but didn't get any reward for that. I need to get a few levels because I am getting toasted. My weapon and armor all broke and I can't find any leather to make new armor. Oh I repaired my main armor but when I tried to put it back on it was still broken. Everytime I get killed with goodies it is in a place I can't get back to without getting killed again. So all the stuff I collect keeps getting lost. -- second death... all goodies lost. I have lost several rewards for instances completed because of this second death mechanic. It really breaks immersion.

There are so many ways that Bethesda decided to break immersion that the game is rapidly becoming unfun.

3 hours ago, Goatcha said:

Even so, Level Gated items really breaks immersion and is fundamentally stupid in a survival rpg.
The whole keybinding thing, its not just that the keybinds don't work properly or that things are hard-coded, but on top of that some of the hard-coded buttons make no damn sense.
They run counter to the standard setups on similar games that we have gotten used to for decades.  Tab for back? V instead of Enter?

Also whoever it was that decided that a Multiplayer game doesn't need voice chat needs to be fired. The encounter  with that German just proved it.

I agree with that. Useful items are already rare. And I think the enemies are overpowered for low level players. It is basically geared for multiplayer and single player is at a severe disadvantage.

I didn't notice this during the first 9 hours, but Saturday was really frustrating.

The key-binding did not seem to be a problem using a controller, but there are many times when the controls are counterintuitive or simply don't work the way they should. Trying to do several things I just had to give up because nothing worked. Some of this may be game glitches but some things are just plain weird.

Lag is not normally a problem, but it seems the game chooses to lag at critical times... like when you open a door and five ghouls attack you instantly. Game lags and you are dead.

Sometimes I wonder if Bethesda has a brain in the company. Some of the things they do are brainless.

Edited by Cryzeteur

@CryzeteurThat is od. I am swimming in materials to fix my gear. Except glue as usual. Corn is very hard to fine for me. What type of character have you speced out?

Leather can be found in molerats, deer, bears and I even opossoms. I think. I am basicly looting 24/7 throwing up my camp and scraping/bulking non stop.

TIP if you find power armor early and don't want to use it right away don't store it in your camp chest it is way to heavy. At higher lvls there is power armor all over. I have found and broke down 1 partial set of T45 (lvl20), bandit and yesterday T60 set for lvl 40 players give me a break.

3 hours ago, OutandBack said:

@CryzeteurThat is od. I am swimming in materials to fix my gear. Except glue as usual. Corn is very hard to fine for me. What type of character have you speced out?

Leather can be found in molerats, deer, bears and I even opossoms. I think. I am basicly looting 24/7 throwing up my camp and scraping/bulking non stop.

TIP if you find power armor early and don't want to use it right away don't store it in your camp chest it is way to heavy. At higher lvls there is power armor all over. I have found and broke down 1 partial set of T45 (lvl20), bandit and yesterday T60 set for lvl 40 players give me a break.

As I mentioned, I keep getting killed testing things out and then I can't get back in to pick up my stuff. I do have quite a lot of stuff just not the key elements to repair my gear. It took me a while to figure out the you have to hunt down fallen logs for wood. I have killed a lot of animals but they rarely give me leather.

I used 50 rounds of .45 on one pack of ghouls and I was not missing. They killed me anyway. The monsters are often excessively high level.

Edited by Cryzeteur

2 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

As I mentioned, I keep getting killed testing things out and then I can't get back in to pick up my stuff. I do have quite a lot of stuff just not the key elements to repair my gear. It took me a while to figure out the you have to hunt down fallen logs for wood. I have killed a lot of animals but they rarely give me leather.

I used 50 rounds of .45 on one pack of ghouls and I was not missing. They killed me anyway. The monsters are often excessively high level.

I assume you are at the Green brier area "Top of the World thing? I booked it out of there at lvl15 do to too high lvl bad guys. I'm not worried I go back when I'm stronger. I know the area was going to be trouble. I set up my base just in the woods behind the rooms with the hand print readers. To scrap and prep for my looting/killing spree. When 3 virtbirds flew over head and started attacking something. The birds were neutral when I vats them but they were lvl30.  Are you using the new vats? I have 3 of the vats perk card that makes each shot stronger and higher percent to hit. It is unbelievable how powerful that is. Perception and agility are my two favorite to spec into. I now have a spec'd 10mm auto with the scope that marks the targets and with it and vats I can take down a lvl 30 super mutant. If I get swarmed or stunned I'm dead.

1 hour ago, OutandBack said:

I assume you are at the Green brier area "Top of the World thing? I booked it out of there at lvl15 do to too high lvl bad guys. I'm not worried I go back when I'm stronger. I know the area was going to be trouble. I set up my base just in the woods behind the rooms with the hand print readers. To scrap and prep for my looting/killing spree. When 3 virtbirds flew over head and started attacking something. The birds were neutral when I vats them but they were lvl30.  Are you using the new vats? I have 3 of the vats perk card that makes each shot stronger and higher percent to hit. It is unbelievable how powerful that is. Perception and agility are my two favorite to spec into. I now have a spec'd 10mm auto with the scope that marks the targets and with it and vats I can take down a lvl 30 super mutant. If I get swarmed or stunned I'm dead.

Yeah that is the area. Radscorpions, SuperMutants. I went to the Smith Farm to the East and looked around and I was the only player on that side of the map.

Today I followed your advice and went back to the side quests and events and leveled up to 10. I found enough leather to repair my armor and got new weapons. I found a combat knife that I like. Damage isn't all that much but it is a fast weapon and works well during lag. There was a lot of lag today. Found several bugs including an enemy I was supposed to kill that was in the ground.

All in all I was having fun again. Didn't die half as much. Despite the terrible lag.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Just now, Cryzeteur said:

Yeah that is the area. Radscorpions, SuperMutants. I went to the Smith Farm to the East and looked around and I was the only player on that side of the map.

Today I followed your advice and went back to the side quests and events and leveled up to 10. I found enough leather to repair my armor and got new weapons. I found a combat knife that I like. Damage isn't all that much but it is a fast weapon and works well during lag. There was a lot of lag today. Found several bugs including an enemy I was supposed to kill that was in the ground.

All in all I was having fun again. Didn't die half as much. Despite the terrible lag.

Good to hear you are making repairs and moving forward. I don't mind the learning curve I never really feel like I wasted my time. It's just part of the game. I learned today watching Oxhorn that you can mod your ini files to fix FOV and how much is blured in the background. Its a drag Gopher is so pissed and unwilling to tackle this game it/we need him. I am having 0 issues with other players and to be honest I like this game more than Fallout4.

I wonder if Beth is varying the number of players to see how it effects perfromance. I had fewer player on my map today but yesterday was my big lag day. I even turn everything down to medium and all sliders to 1/4 to see if it helped. OMG it was horrible I got these weird shadows poping in and rolling acorss my screen. I went back to all at high and it fix it all. I'm only running a GTX 780 the minimum Beth requires so I know I will have some issues.

9 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

If you guys not already know, there is 2 more BETA runs for Fallout 76, Nov 6th (1pm - 3pm ET) and 8th (2pm-8pm ET).

https://heavy.com/games/2018/11/fallout-76-beta-extension/

I did not know because I had not checked... Thanks... Now I have to decide if I really want to participate... 

As the server was shutting down I got horrible stutter and one ghoul that I should have killed wasn't taking any damage and I couldn't see him attacking me but the last thing I saw before shut down was the death screen, so the game killed me. I had a ton of stuff. If I go back in I will want to retrieve my stuff, but my camp is totally full so if I get that stuff I will have to escape to safe territory loaded to the gills. Then I have to decide what to do. If I manage to get to safety I could craft stuff to get rid of my stuff... craft a storage box and unload. But I am not having a lot of fun in the game. Oh well... 

Maybe tomorrow morning ... 10 am PT ... I will feel more like playing for 2 hours...  2 hours is not very long... must be another server test. Thursday must be the final Beta... what devs sometimes refer to as the complimentary Beta because they think all the bugs are finally out and it is just a pre-run of release. 

Edited by Cryzeteur

@CryzeteurInteresting I got those same studders.  I would shoot at a goul, in vats and see no damage to his hit bar yet he could hit and do damage to me. I though my PC was heating up my GPU fans were chirping and making noise. I really need a new gaming PC this one is 9 years old I think.

On 11/5/2018 at 1:07 AM, Cryzeteur said:

Well, I did follow the Overseer to Charlston, but didn't get any reward for that. I need to get a few levels because I am getting toasted. My weapon and armor all broke and I can't find any leather to make new armor. Oh I repaired my main armor but when I tried to put it back on it was still broken. Everytime I get killed with goodies it is in a place I can't get back to without getting killed again. So all the stuff I collect keeps getting lost. -- second death... all goodies lost. I have lost several rewards for instances completed because of this second death mechanic. It really breaks immersion.

There are so many ways that Bethesda decided to break immersion that the game is rapidly becoming unfun.

Was fun to watch MxR spend 3 hours trying to complete an obstacle course though (he cut it down to 10 mins for the vid).

7 hours ago, Goatcha said:

Was fun to watch MxR spend 3 hours trying to complete an obstacle course though (he cut it down to 10 mins for the vid).

I will have to go over and watch that... :lol:

Watched!... That is hilarious... :)

Edited by Cryzeteur