Gopher's Minions
EnderDragonFire

Increase in uncivil comments on Gopher's videos?

Dear Gopher & Minions,

I've been a YouTube subscriber since 2012, and I've watched, and commented on, a lot of Gopher's work. In the past, before YouTube changed the way it handles comments and messages, and removed the inbox, Gopher personally kept things civil and polite in his comments section by policing it judiciously. When the system changed, he could no longer do that, but the community still seemed to follow his rules for the most part, and anyone who stepped out of line and got uncivil was quickly berated by many people, and often reported to YouTube.

This is no longer the case. Over the last year or so, but especially the last couple of month's, Gopher's comments have gotten nasty; instead of seeing Kharjo jokes and shovel jokes, or sincere requests to bring back a series or other suggestions for Gopher's channel, people want to talk about the game (that Gopher is playing or discussing) itself. But, more unfortunately, they don't just talk about it, they argue, debate, and troll about it, and anyone who voices an unpopular opinion is shouted down and oftentimes outright harassed.

I've made a couple of comments about Fallout 4, which I happen to like, and about my enthusiasm for Fallout 76*, and people in Gophers comments have cursed at me, called me rude names, insulted my intelligence, insulted my (presumed) age, and generally made me feel very unwelcome. Quite frankly, I don't recognize Gopher's fan-bade anymore, it's like it's gone rabid and feral.

*Let's not even get into my support of the Creation Club...

So, I've got two questions;

Firstly, has anyone else noticed this?

Secondly, am I likely to experience similar harassment if I post my opinions here or on Twitch?

Sincerely,

EDF

I usually stay away from the comment section of Youtube so I can't say that I've noticed this shift, but as far as I know people around this forum are very polite and I don't think you would experience this kind of problems.

I also consider YouTube a bit poisonous. You will not find that here.

However, no one here is very enthusiastic about Fallout 76 because it is not well suited to role-playing.

I have pre-ordered it and will be playing it as will many people here. We want to give the game a fair chance.

As you will see here, most people here are worried about the griefing problem.

Edited by Cryzeteur

On 10/11/2018 at 12:16 AM, EnderDragonFire said:

Dear Gopher & Minions,

I've been a YouTube subscriber since 2012, and I've watched, and commented on, a lot of Gopher's work. In the past, before YouTube changed the way it handles comments and messages, and removed the inbox, Gopher personally kept things civil and polite in his comments section by policing it judiciously. When the system changed, he could no longer do that, but the community still seemed to follow his rules for the most part, and anyone who stepped out of line and got uncivil was quickly berated by many people, and often reported to YouTube.

This is no longer the case. Over the last year or so, but especially the last couple of month's, Gopher's comments have gotten nasty; instead of seeing Kharjo jokes and shovel jokes, or sincere requests to bring back a series or other suggestions for Gopher's channel, people want to talk about the game (that Gopher is playing or discussing) itself. But, more unfortunately, they don't just talk about it, they argue, debate, and troll about it, and anyone who voices an unpopular opinion is shouted down and oftentimes outright harassed.

I've made a couple of comments about Fallout 4, which I happen to like, and about my enthusiasm for Fallout 76*, and people in Gophers comments have cursed at me, called me rude names, insulted my intelligence, insulted my (presumed) age, and generally made me feel very unwelcome. Quite frankly, I don't recognize Gopher's fan-bade anymore, it's like it's gone rabid and feral.

*Let's not even get into my support of the Creation Club...

So, I've got two questions;

Firstly, has anyone else noticed this?

Secondly, am I likely to experience similar harassment if I post my opinions here or on Twitch?

Sincerely,

EDF

I don't visit the YT comments for the very reason you stated. I leave my comments here on the forum.

I still leave a thumbs up if I like the video but I don't post comments. This site is moderated, by me, and griefing is just not a thing around here.

That said there is nothing wrong with posting constructive criticism.

Welcome to the forum.