Gopher's Minions

Fallout 76 (Gameplay) - First Impressions

As soon as Gopher started showing the character system, I could see how the inevitable lootboxes (or card packs, I guess) and microtransactions would be inserted into this game, to keep the gambling revenue rolling in.

I was already kinda on the fence about this game, depending on whether or not there would be private servers/instances, where you can play with only your friends and not the entire populace — and seeing this obvious vector for future money-gouging practices built in doesn't look promising at all.  Lootboxes and microtransactions mean there is going to be greatly increased grind, in order to pressure players into paying extra, on top of the base price and subscription, just to get a game that's actually bearable to play.

Now, I could be wrong.  A miracle might happen, and they might not stick their engorged greed-boners in and fuck the game to hell, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have played Fallout 4 on PS4 on a 90" TV screen. The footage of Fallout 76 is clearly more detailed than Fallout 4.

Low fps makes me sick.

I expect Bethesda will have to do a better job at fixing the griefing. Square Enix had to face this problem in FFO. ESO did a lousy job fixing griefing. That is the main reason I quit playing.

Edited by Cryzeteur

3 hours ago, JustTheBast said:

As soon as Gopher started showing the character system, I could see how the inevitable lootboxes (or card packs, I guess) and microtransactions would be inserted into this game, to keep the gambling revenue rolling in.

I was already kinda on the fence about this game, depending on whether or not there would be private servers/instances, where you can play with only your friends and not the entire populace — and seeing this obvious vector for future money-gouging practices built in doesn't look promising at all.  Lootboxes and microtransactions mean there is going to be greatly increased grind, in order to pressure players into paying extra, on top of the base price and subscription, just to get a game that's actually bearable to play.

Now, I could be wrong.  A miracle might happen, and they might not stick their engorged greed-boners in and fuck the game to hell, but I'm not holding my breath.

The instances are a couple of dozen players. This is quite different from ESO and FFO.

18 hours ago, JustTheBast said:

Bethesda has specifically stated that you will not be able to spend real money for card packs.
Hope they stick to that or it will be Pay-to-win.

Even so, I was on the fence about this game from its first announcement and the more info that came out the less interested I became.
At this point with its complete lack of any communication ability even with robots, its stupid emotes and its lack of any real purpose other than exploring and looting...
It could be Fallout Minecraft, but I still think that after 2 or 3 days in the game you will have explored everything and become bored.

I will watch Gopher Let's Play it, but have no intention of buying it at this time.

7 hours ago, Graeme Jones said:

Invites PC Gamers to play, and provides them an Xbox. Good logic there, Bethesda.

The event was likely done with Microsoft so they could spread the cost a bit.  So Xbones makes some sense.  Plus, I believe that it's pretty common for test versions of the games at events like this to be on consoles as they're much more portable, much easier to set up and let's face it, if a PC player goes in and sees something running on a console, they're probably going to think 'Just think how much better this will be on my much higher spec PC.'

2 hours ago, Goatcha said:

Bethesda has specifically stated that you will not be able to spend real money for card packs.

Even so, I was on the fence about this game from its first announcement and the more info that came out the less interested I became.
At this point with its complete lack of any communication ability even with robots, its stupid emotes and its lack of any real purpose other than exploring and looting...
It could be Fallout Minecraft, but I still think that after 2 or 3 days in the game you will have explored everything and become bored.

I will watch Gopher Let's Play it, but have no intention of buying it at this time.

It is not a card game. The cards are a game mechanic similar to a perk tree.

Watching a few opinion videos, I noticed the following:

1. Low fps

2. Light glitches everywhere

3. The textures are low quality as always

4. The graphics look somewhat cartoonish, and everything is very bright.

5. Every time a player picks up an item, there's like one second you still can see the form of the item like a shadow.

6. Players and NPC models glitch more frequently than I'm comfortable with.

7. The combat looks easier than single player Fallout.

Looks fun, but I'm still not convinced :/ 

Honestly the most interesting thing to me is the real-time VATS that they have implemented, and only because that feels like it might be a nice option or a change for them to have in the next "real" Fallout game for VATS users (having the time slow down like normal now, or letting it be in real time).

Outside of that, the game just looks like weird crossover between Borderlands and Fortnite, set in the Fallout universe.

Edited by Sup3rNo7a

19 hours ago, Graeme Jones said:

Invites PC Gamers to play, and provides them an Xbox. Good logic there, Bethesda.

If I remember correctly CDPR used PC's but everyone had to use an XBox 1 controller.

All of my favorite LPers use all three systems for their walkthru's/LPs. They have to since Sony/PS has owned the gaming world since 2015 and Witcher 3.

Even Gopher did a FO4 on xbox and he had to use a controller for that.

An lets face it we PC gamers are still the redheaded step child in the gaming world with the lowest game sales of the big 3 even with mods.

15 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

It is not a card game. The cards are a game mechanic similar to a perk tree.

I know that.
JustthatBeast was referring to the perk card packs you can get in game that open like a loot box, its demonstrated in the video.
They come in bubblegum wrappers and are awarded every few levels.

I noticed we can now see our carry weight while using the quick loot feature? That was a cool addition. I've already started prepping my character for 76, going to be a Melee build. No bullets required, less weight to worry about. Well, I'll have a plan b for a 10mm pistol I guess. I'm looking forward to this game, it's new and I'm always up for new challenges good or bad. I never go by reviews, always judge games by my own judgement.

20 hours ago, Goatcha said:

That's a huge relief, if they stick to it, but…  I'm not a fan of character progression through random loot drops from the start.

know that there is mechanically no difference between having stats bonuses on your random loot equipment and having random loot character cards that you can equip and unequip at will — but it feels different.  It's probably because I'm a single-player gamer by nature and have never internalised the MMO mentality of a permanent-but-respeccable character.  I guess if every hour spent in game represents a certain fraction of a monthly subscription, then a character becomes an actual, monetary investment, and thus malleability becomes desirable.

If I find that I messed up a character build in a single player game, I can just start from scratch with no loss and try something different this time.  Or, if I'm really that attached to the character, I can just open up the console and shuffle around the attribute points and perks to my heart's content.  But in general, I prefer for the character's development to feel permanent, with small, temporary stats bonuses conferred by equipment only minorly modifying the solid character base, which I built deliberately based on my own choices, not based on which hot-swappable perk cards happened to drop from the random loot generator.

20 hours ago, Goatcha said:

I would totally play a "Fallout Minecraft" game, if it also copied Minecraft's ability to have private servers where only you and your friends play together.  Or strict role-playing servers, where everybody plays as if they're an actual vault dweller community, trying to resettle the surface.

Imagine Fallout 4 without the main quest, but all the side quests, the exploration of the Commonwealth, scavenging, and settlement building.  I'd play the heck out of that.

Regarding griefing, everybody is clear on how that's going to shake out, right?  The usual assholes are going to make a meta-game out of attaining and keeping the "murderer" flag as often and as long as possible, on top of the usual "jumping around, annoying people, and getting in everybody's way" that is the mainstay of all MMOs.

3 hours ago, JustTheBast said:

Regarding griefing, everybody is clear on how that's going to shake out, right?  The usual assholes are going to make a meta-game out of attaining and keeping the "murderer" flag as often and as long as possible, on top of the usual "jumping around, annoying people, and getting in everybody's way" that is the mainstay of all MMOs.

I hope it will not work out that way.

FFO prevents this by strictly expelling all griefers and any other rule breakers. They keep a clean game running. So it can be done.

I was hoping Bethesda would be smarted than shown in Gophers experience.

Just tagging griefers as murders and letting the community clean up the mess is not enough.

Luckily most instances will not get griefers because the proportion of griefers is not high.

Edited by Cryzeteur

11 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I hope it will not work out that way.

FFO prevents this by strictly expelling all griefers and any other rule breakers. They keep a clean game running. So it can be done.

I was hoping Bethesda would be smarted than shown in Gophers experience.

Just tagging griefers as murders and letting the community clean up the mess is not enough.

Luckily most instances will not get griefers because the proportion of griefers is not high.

Its a bit like GTA Online's stupid Mental State system, player-killers relish going psycho, the rest of us are just annoyed that it warns us every time we run over a single npc or accidentally blow up our own vehicle.

Of course Rockstar actively encourages Griefers and discourages reporting and kicking.
Bethesda has a different approach, but it still won't work.
Still I don't think Griefers will be the huge deal they are in say GTA.

As for Fallout Minecraft, yeah multi-player Fallout 4 would be great, but its not that, there are no real quests and you can't interact with any npcs beyond basic trading.

Edited by Goatcha

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, Goatcha said:

As for Fallout Minecraft, yeah multi-player Fallout 4 would be great, but its not that, there are no real quests and you can't interact with any npcs beyond basic trading.

I can usually figure out typos and foreign language problems... this sentence I cannot parse... 

I think you are saying multiplayer Minecraft on Gopher's instance is great, and Fallout 4 is so much like a shooter that a multiplayer version like in Fallout 76 might be ok.

??? not sure...

On 10/10/2018 at 10:57 AM, Cryzeteur said:

snip...

I am looking forward to building an OP'd character and becoming a bounty hunter on these griefers.

Who needs BGS quests when everytime I log in I will see on my map that days bounties. What more could a gamer who likes to shoot want?

I am not a minecraft kind of gamer and did not enjoy FO4's scrap collecting/settlement building. That is just not how I played fO3 or NV.

If 4 or 5 of my friends can join the same server we could have a posse and kit these griefer in to an ambush.

3 minutes ago, OutandBack said:

I am looking forward to building an OP'd character and becoming a bounty hunter on these griefers.

Who needs BGS quests when everytime I log in I will see on my map that days bounties. What more could a gamer who likes to shoot want?

I am not a minecraft kind of gamer and did not enjoy FO4's scrap collecting/settlement building. That is just not how I played fO3 or NV.

So the new thing will be Bounty Hunters?

I don't know how that will work since there are only 24 people in an instance...:lol:

Seems to me like a simpler solution would be just give a 24-hour ban (perhaps an escalating one as well) on anyone who would have otherwise have been tagged a "murderer" by the game's current solution.

And before anyone starts worrying about false positives or unfair bans that might occur, remember how much time it takes to kill anyone who isn't fighting back in the current solution. No one is getting labeled a "murderer" in these cases by accident, so perpetrators would be deserving of what they get. The only problem would be dealing with people who don't actually kill and just annoy/harass, but that could be dealt with by an in-game report system and competent Bethesda moderators to look into harassment claims (for public servers, I imagine private server admins could just ban whoever they want).

11 hours ago, Sup3rNo7a said:

Seems to me like a simpler solution would be just give a 24-hour ban (perhaps an escalating one as well) on anyone who would have otherwise have been tagged a "murderer" by the game's current solution.

Why? It's a mechanic within the game, not an exploit or cheat. The game allows players to kill other players, so how does it make sense to ban anyone who does just that?

3 hours ago, Arrogant said:

Why? It's a mechanic within the game, not an exploit or cheat. The game allows players to kill other players, so how does it make sense to ban anyone who does just that?

It seems poorly thought out, all the way around.  The whole "murderer" flag thing looks like an attempt to discourage griefing and encourage the community to self-police, but actually does no such thing.  On the contrary, it encourages players with the griefing mindset to make a game out of ganking unwilling players, who do not wish to play PvP, and subtly encourages the rest of the community to accept the presence of griefing, by making the hunting of "murderers" into a fun competition.  They are framing the discussion away from "Why are Bethesda allowing griefers to damage or even kill other players who do not wish to engage in PvP?" and instead towards "Gee, how much fun is it going to be to hunt for those bounties?"  If you look at OutandBack's comment above, they're already looking forward to it, and no longer questioning why Bethesda chose to put in all this extra code, instead of just turning off damage for players who opt out of PvP.

The only reason I can think of why they would do this is to subtly shift the onus for combatting griefing onto the community, instead of themselves, so they don't have to bother with decent moderation or oversight and can just put the blame on the players' lack of vigilance, when a situation goes sour or griefing gets out of hand.

Maybe, just maybe, they're hoping that by deliberately allowing unwilling PvP kills, while pretending to "discourage" it, they can channel the energies of the griefers towards the "low-hanging fruit", while simultaneously giving the normal, non-griefing players a sense of "fighting back".  Basically, they're dangling this in front of the sociopaths and saying, "Oooh, you better not do this specific thing (that we deliberately programmed into the game rules for this purpose), or you'll make everybody sooo mad!  You're going to look like such a naughty, rule-breaking, bad guy, if you do it – with a price on your head and everything!  So you better not do it, or everybody will know you did it and pay attention to you!"

If that's their game, I wish them luck, and we'll see whether it works.  I have my doubts, but let's hope for the best.