Gopher's Minions
Tirius

Minionland Road Project

This post contains information about the ongoing 'road network' project in Minionland. As one of the chief instigators and 'guy who maps the thing', I wanted to provide some intel on what's going on, for all interested parties.

Goal
The road network aims to create an easy to travel system of roads between major builds in the overworld, to help minions travel and find their way.

History
The road project started with the ever industrious Z_Blackblue, as he desired to create a road between his rather remote home at FiveTowers and Spawn (roughly 8,000 blocks away). Z started at FiveTowers, and strung his road between villages until he reached the first major player build: my own Miniopoly board. I literally saw him coming over the hill building his road, and being a bit more knowledgeable about the local terrain, offered to continue the project from there towards the World Tree, the nearest major build already connected to spawn by existing roads. Naming this the Great East Road, it was the first major route we completed.

After this, both Z and I built a major branch road - I completed my own 'loop' between Sucrose Shores, Boom Caverns and New Mistral, and Z strung another road between villages south of FiveTowers, which also brushed past one of our creeper farms. Little did I know - he had more planned: creating a gargantuan bridge to cross the ocean and reach Non's citadel of Astaroth to the west. What followed was a mad dash between Z and me who could reach there first - Z with his bridge, and me with a tunnel from New Mistral. Atheos got bitten by the road bug at that point, and though he proved a great one-man labor force for my tunnel, it's Z's bridge that really took the cake once it was done. Non helped by building a smaller red bridge to complete the road.

Below: road intersection at Astaroth, red bridge (east of intersection)

T0X1KoI.png TamLMdY.png

From Astaroth, more southern locals got involved, including Non, Xanthir and Ubbs, who drew the road further south to cross another ocean - crossing Xanthir's island along the way - and on to the major builds in the south. We succeeded in connecting the road to the existing local road network at Claymoria, offering access to the road net already connecting to Walkuria, Al Qaram and the Valley of the Blox, among others. Realizing this offered the potential of a Great South Road, Daalio added a bridge between his place and the shore, offering a direct route south from Crossroads, via Magasai's, to my tunnel and then further south.

[update] From then on, Atheos took on the task of building a connection in the west, which is now complete. This connects to the above via Gopher's 'Desert Outpost' island, using the pre-existing walkways between the islands. With that done, Z_Blackblue has started work on a road to connect the (far) east to the north, and I have started - with help from the locals - to forge the existing roads north of spawn into a single path as well, hoping to meet up with Z somewhere eventually, likely somewhere near Dom's New Minion Commonwealth or further north at Portside.

[update 2] After the 2018 december holidays, we have a few more updates: Z and I have both completed the first sections of our 'north' road projects; my road can now be travelled from Crossroads to Mystmarsh, with a second branch via Shovelot that joins the main road halfway. This 'Shovelot branch' also connects to Z's road via 2 branches. Z's main road meanwhile has reached as far north as Steelgear's tower. The longest new section however, has been added by Atheos, in the form of a new road in the southwest that connects Farleigh Citadel to Walkuria, via Shawn's Nuka Cola bottle and a great many villages. Finally, Non has worked on a road between his base at Astaroth and the Great West.

[update 3] April 2019, and here's the spring update to the map. The roads to the north mentioned above have now all been finished, meeting up at Portside as the 'transfer' point to the existing roads of the Northern Kingdom. Along with general cleaning and checking, the major map updates include the new Woods Road, which runs parallel to the Great East but further north and through more empty land, and the extension of the network: in the southwest corner to Port Smarrow and Mt. Mystery, and in the west to In Fiore, Daalio's new build (right image below). New and expanded builds have been added to existing roads in the form of Brin's Italian-inspired town Simonini on the Great South, Mari's Bely Les on the Great East, and Z's Frostwood (left image below) on the South Bypass. Finally, I've streamlined the color-coding of the roads in preparation of Z_Blackblue's project to mark them with colored banners.

Below: intersection of the South Bypass and the Woods Road at Z_Blackblue's Frostwood (left) and the new terminus of the Great West at Daalio's In Fiore.

fCVej6T.png eIci3gg.png

[update 4] August 2019, and we have the summer update for the map. We've added one more road to the map in the form of the Northeast Passage Road (blue), which runs from near the World Tree towards Garsenn and It4edda's builds near the far edges of the map. Anyone looking for a place to settle will find lots of open terrain along this path, and a variety of biomes including the northeast mesa.

Extensions to the existing roads have been made as well, with the following major changes:
  • The Woods Road (turqoise) now runs further west, connecting Vault's Ironwood and running all the way to Alethia via Atheos' pyramid. Just beyond the pyramid is a new branch road, which Nextorz has added to her own Dark Forest build - another wonderful example of the locals pitching in for the project!
  • The Great North Road (lime) now runs further north beyond the Northern Kingdom, connecting the old Direwolf Keep, with a new terminus at Peabody's claim. Please ignore the road heading west from there, it's still under construction.
  • The Royal Road (red) has completed its connections to the Throne Room, Phelan's Wolf's Den and Cherubia, offering the first viable land route between the Throne Room and Spawn. Special thanks for this one go to NTClaymore and FairyTailX, who agreed to host the required sea-tunnel on the borders of their claims.
  • Firelight Road (purple) is no long merely a loop around the builds in the  southeastern Firelight region, but now has a new branch to Hopevale, passing by jrRedek's old east border crossing on the way. The completion of this road means that all the land-based builds included on Miniopoly are now connected to the network.

Finally, a few extra builds have appeared on the existing routes, including the addition of the older secondary builds to the Northern Kingdom Road, Non's project at Rienna on the Great South. Finally, some 'dead end' branch roads not part of the main network have been marked, mostly to villages.

Not visible on the map, though certainly in game, is that we have started to provide directional information along the roads with signs. Most builds and major intersections will now feature a wall with road signs and colored banners marking the various roads; the process of adding these is ongoing. Special thanks for these goes to Z_Blackblue, who did not only come up with the design, but also rode down the entire network to measure all the distances for use on the road signs. I myself am presently retracing his steps to add the road signs where they have yet to be placed.

Below: Rienna, added by Non near the Great South and South Bypass roads (left) and a sample of new road signs, at the junction between the Great South and Firelight roads north of New Mistral (right).
zzbEq2p.png SpLW75r.png

[update 5] October 2019: A few minor updates, including improvements around the Xroads area aside, there are 2 major road additions: Atheos has completed the section of the Great West road between In Fiore and Peabody Estate, connecting Gransys and 3 Villages. On the other side of the server, Z_Blackblue has extended the Northeast Bypass (blue) road all the way to the northeast corner near the world border. Finally, there a long new branch road was added to the blue by a local resident, heading back south. (Thx to Nibunyn for contributing!) Ingame, you'll also now find many more road signs and banners marking where you are.

Road design
Most of the new road sections are built somewhat in accordance with local terrain, but still relatively straight for easy travel. The design itself consists of stone slabs, stone brick slabs or cobble slabs (most often 4 or 5 wide), lined with wood plank blocks on either side. The type of stone and wood differs, as do the bridges and tunnels, which are left to the builder to design. Some pre-existing roads integrated into the network retain their original style, so as not to alter the look and feel of the area. Lighting and signposting is likewise left up to the builder, but advised at intersections.

Some roads offer Traveller's Rest 'inn' buildings, mostly near villages along Z's roads, as well as 'hole in the wall' emergency rest stops. At major builds, and a few noteworthy spots in between, I have also added a 'waystation' with a local area map.

Below: Waystation at Ebonheart, Traveller's Rest at Avionville

1MnEZnz.png iSOj4KF.png

Map
Just for fun, I've created a subway-style map of the entire road net. It's appeared a few times on Discord already, but I've also enclosed it here. Note that I never intend this to be a complete map of all the builds along the road net, as there are far too many. Rather, it's intended as a guide to find where the road can take you, and to help navigate it. If large builds are close together, only one may appear on the map, such as with the 'Holy Islands' marker, representing both Daalio's 'flying' islands and Walkenaer's grand cathedral island (a.k.a. the Hall of the Dead).

An ingame copy of this map (simplified) has been constructed at the Woolly Plains Map Pad at the end of the Northeast Bypass road. Feel free to travel there and create a copy to take home! For more info, please refer to the detailed update 5 post further down this thread.

Anyone who wants to connect to the road (or try their hand at creating a whole new section) is free to do so, this is a free-for-all project with no real coordinator. Feel free to ask here if you have questions though.

[update 5] Road Map, october 2019 (click to see full size)

R7DxL79.jpg

Edited by Tirius

Tirius, this is awesome. Not only is the road network a wonderful community project, this post makes me want to travel it by foot, like I would in Skyrim, bedding down when the sun sank low. Once Yggdrassil is properly outfitted and my bridges to the roadway are up, I just might have to do that... unless Brin remembers that I promised we'd build a giant glowing crab together. But either way, the wanderlust in this post is palpable!

I gotta say, you have done some very impressive work with your mapping. I like to keep up to date with the server, even though I don't get the chance to play as much as I used to and your maps help a lot. When I get some time, I'll have to go on foot and follow your map to check out all the things. Keep up the impressive work Server Cartographer! 

That's pretty neat. Do you plan on improving existing roads as well? I have several chests of cobblestone to contribute if you ever need and and have a chest full of stone too. I also have easy access to several stacks of all types of wood and would like to improve accessibility of my build, which is looking like I'll have to do before I actually finish it.

4 hours ago, Starling said:

That's pretty neat. Do you plan on improving existing roads as well? I have several chests of cobblestone to contribute if you ever need and and have a chest full of stone too. I also have easy access to several stacks of all types of wood and would like to improve accessibility of my build, which is looking like I'll have to do before I actually finish it.

Thanks. :) I don't think we're planning to change existing roads much, though that depends a bit on the location. I know Athe is 'paving over' parts of the old dirt paths to build the west road for example, but there's also quite a few places where the road cuts across or along existing claims that I wouldn't want to change even if I could. (For example: the coastal path between Yggdrasil and Seawatch on the south road cuts across the claims of 4 minions, including my own; we already had a good dirt path in place that matches our builds, so I will not be changing that. The same also goes for the existing roads in the region around Crossroads.) I plan to add a few more detailed pictures and/or maps here later, for the sections that don't follow the standard design.

Having said all that... observant minions will have seen there is no Great North Road on the map yet. I suspect if we do add that to the list, any material donations and/or help building would be appreciated. :) I also know that Non is building a path westward as well, to connect JediJosh's castle. I suspect it will be a while before we run out of places to connect.

I live along the north slipstream so ring me up when you get working on the north road. I find the path to the bridge I take from crossroads is a bit obscure and some roads aren't very intuitive for navigation if you're not very familiar with the area. Some kind of signage or markings to show when they lead to points of interest may be helpful.

Quick update: work on 2 northward bound sections has started. Z_Blackblue has started in the east, and I have started near Crossroads, in the northern-most point of the road net already in place there. My line will aim to connect many sections of road already in place, and thus need consultation with locals and not progress very quickly. More info to follow later.

Below is the proposed integration of the 'ring road' around Drylands:

F7UBCaw.png

Edited by Tirius

... unless Brin remembers that I promised we'd build a giant glowing crab together.

I will never forget! Also thanks for this post Tiri :D Once all 439 of my projects are finished I too want to travel the lands ^^

23 hours ago, Brinicio said:

I will never forget! Also thanks for this post Tiri :D Once all 439 of my projects are finished I too want to travel the lands ^^

If you have 439 projects, I am probably short a few more waypoints... :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to traveling again too - just a few more days until the christmas holidays bring free time.

Quick update: I've enclosed a new map in the first post with the updates in the last 2-and-a-bit months.

These include:

• By @Z-blackblue: the Northeast Bypass (pink on map), complete up to Steelgear's Tower and connecting to both the Great East and Great North roads.
  • By Atheos: the Southwest Bypass (temporarilly still cyan on map), between Kiaoshi's Farleigh Citadel and @Lert's Walkuria.
  • By @non: the as-yet-unnamed line (red on map) between Astaroth and the Great West, via @JediJosh7054's Griffin Keep.
  • By me (Tirius), with help from Atheos, the Great North (green on map), complete up to @Xeredek's base at Mystmarsh, which connects a large number of player builds.

Z and I will be continuing north with our respective roads later, though my work on the green line has halted until I can figure out a good route through/around the existing claims.

Edited by Tirius

^^ No worries, yours was not the first claim where we had to ring the bell. ;)

Atheos has drawn a road around Mystmarsh atm, along what used to be the path to the Loba clan's area  - this was unclaimed land. Plz feel free to change things if you want to, I'll try and get a local map up once I get home tonight. I would like to add a waystation somewhere, but there is no rush with that.

Once past Mystmarsh, the road now runs to Salsa's claim, and then further north. Z mentioned having connected the route to Portside yesterday. I haven't looked at the side road to Ironwood yet.

I remember me and Vault were getting the pathway shored up, we're in an odd situation where part of vaults land are still claimed by someone who hasn't been on in over a year- but Vault has permissions for said claim. This means that only he can get that chunk of the road done :< unless we get an admin involved anyway. I'll try to contact him within the next few days.

It's kind of mental how fast time flies, last time I was on it was October.  I just got caught up in other things. Crazy

Anyway yeah if you want to tweak the path I'm all ears, if you notice I'm online just shoot me a message and we can get the specific route sorted out "in person" :p

Edited by Xeredek

The road project proved my savior when I got builders fatigue last year, it was great for wanting to play, yet not feeling very creative.

Here's a map link for the road as Atheos drew it around Mystmarsh, you can easily spot it on the dynamap here.

Your quarterly map update has been added to the first post of this topic, including a new map image.

[update 3] April 2019, and here's the spring update to the map. Along with general cleaning and checking, the major updates include the Woods Road, which runs parallel to the Great East but further north and through more empty land, and the extension of the network in the southwest corner to Port Smarrow and Mt. Mystery, and in the west to In Fiore, Daalio's new build. New and expanded builds have been added to existing roads in the form of Brin's Italian-inspired town Simonini on the Great South, Mari's Bely Les on the Great East, and Z's Frostwood on the Southeast Bypass. Finally, I've streamlined the color-coding of the roads in preparation of Z_Blackblue's project to mark them with colored banners.

And here's a bonus image of Port Smarrow, one of the most remote areas the network as now reached:

ROJIilZ.png

Edited by Tirius

Time for the summer update, included in the first post of this topic and below for the recap.

[update 4] August 2019, and we have the summer update for the map. We've added one more road to the map in the form of the Northeast Passage Road (blue), which runs from near the World Tree towards Garsenn and It4edda's builds near the far edges of the map. Anyone looking for a place to settle will find lots of open terrain along this path, and a variety of biomes including the northeast mesa.

Extensions to the existing roads have been made as well, with the following major changes:
  • The Woods Road (turquoise) now runs further west, connecting Vault's Ironwood and running all the way to Alethia via Atheos' pyramid. Just beyond the pyramid is a new branch road, which Nextorz has added to her own Dark Forest build - another wonderful example of the locals pitching in for the project!
  • The Great North Road (lime) now runs further north beyond the Northern Kingdom, connecting the old Direwolf Keep, with a new terminus at Peabody's claim. Please ignore the road heading west from there, it's still under construction.
  • The Royal Road (red) has completed its connections to the Throne Room, Phelan's Wolf's Den and Cherubia, offering the first viable land route between the Throne Room and Spawn. Special thanks for this one go to NTClaymore and FairyTailX, who agreed to host the required sea-tunnel on the borders of their claims.
  • Firelight Road (purple) is no long merely a loop around the builds in the  southeastern Firelight region, but now has a new branch to Hopevale, passing by jrRedek's old east border crossing on the way. The completion of this road means that all the land-based builds included on Miniopoly are now connected to the network.
Finally, a few extra builds have appeared on the existing routes, including the addition of the older secondary builds to the Northern Kingdom Road, Non's project at Rienna on the Great South. Finally, some 'dead end' branch roads not part of the main network have been marked, mostly to villages.

Not visible on the map, though certainly in game, is that we have started to provide directional information along the roads with signs. Most builds and major intersections will now feature a wall with road signs and colored banners marking the various roads; the process of adding these is ongoing. Special thanks for these goes to Z_Blackblue, who did not only come up with the design, but also rode down the entire network to measure all the distances for use on the road signs. I myself am presently retracing his steps to add the road signs where they have yet to be placed.

Your bonus images for today: Griffin Peak Keep by JediJosh (left) on the Royal Road, and The Grove by Minioncrafter (right) on the Northern Kingdom Road.
WpWKKsM.png 3FPDxbD.png
Edited by Tirius

The fun part of this project, is that it is always there if you don't have an inspiration to build on your own area, and it's a great incentive to go out and expore the server. Also, this entire affair would be nothing without Z_Blackblue and Atheos, who are responsible for 90% of the actual road building. 😉

It's october, and we have another update to the map. Well, maps plural. :)

[update 5] Forum map
First, the detailed map found here on the forum has been updated yet again (link in the first post of this topic). A few minor updates, including improvements around the Xroads area aside, there are 2 major road additions: Atheos has completed the section of the Great West road between In Fiore and Peabody Estate, connecting Gransys and 3 Villages. On the other side of the server, Z_Blackblue has extended the Northeast Bypass (blue) road all the way to the northeast corner near the world border. Finally, a long new branch road was added to the blue by a local resident, heading back south. (Thx to Nibunyn for contributing!) Ingame, you'll also now find many more road signs and banners marking where you are.

Left: Great West Road entering In Fiore from the north; right: road signs and banners at Chessington manor.

uiJeOF2.png 2iWTs3b.png

Ingame map
The main topic of this update however, is what is now found at the end of the blue road. With help from over a dozen minions (you are all amazing!), we have created a simplified version of the road map as pixel art! Set on a 512*512 block area, or 4x4 maps, this involved the clearing of several rather tall mountains and the shearing of countless sheep to create and then the place around 250.000 carpets!

Left: the completed map with a selection of the crew (Brin, Non, Kiaoshi, Atheos and Tiri; image by Kia); right: impression of the map pad under construction.

mRsglPj.png cKGCZEP.png

The map can be reached via the blue road, but it will be faster to take the nether slipstream to the northeast corner portal and then ride westward down the path. If you visit the area during the day, be sure to stay for nightfall as parts of the map will light up to provide a nice view from the air. The nearest safe resting area is just down the blue road at Mapville, where Z_Blackblue has created a large Traveller's Rest for weary visitors.

Anyone who wishes to obtain a copy of the pixel art map will need to create 16 empty maps. You can then copy the maps found on the map walls at the site (these are found both at the end of the blue road and at the storage area in the northeast corner of the map). Please note that you're better off creating copies rather than making your own map of the area, as there may be future updates; copies of the existing map will update with the original. (The 16th map, for now, is a copy of lolmasta's excellent compass art, but will eventually be replaced by a custom Ministry of Transport logo.)

Once again, thanks to the terrain clearers, carpet layers and sheep shearers who helped build the map. I had never in my wildest dreams expected us to finish this project within a single month!

Future plans
With all of this, the main road building project is functionally complete. The road crews will however continue to improve and signpost the existing network. We also have some tentative plans to add some things to see along the more empty sections.

Safe travels - and have some eye candy to celebrate! :D

Left: Bridge of Ice and Fire (Woods Road, near Sunspear); right: traveller's rest near the Lava Gate Bridge (South Bypass Road)

ztyg8sb.png 0Pa1etk.png

Edited by Tirius

Ill add a quick plug for a (mini?) road project that I've got underway at the moment, tentivly called the Tzphard Imperial Skybridge, if you happen to be looking up into the lovely minionland clouds and happen to see a rainbow in the sky, chances are its not a rainbow at all but instead the Tzphard Skybridge (any non-glass or teracotta materials will be replaced and are just used as placeholders for now). 

Right now the network centers in the Tzphard Empire and works its way North to link up with one of Tirius' roads below, and has a southern route that at the moment dead ends at Dark Interlopers main Crossroads building area. 

Eventually I hope to link the tzphard embassy, several of the other sky builds and etc with the network, but plans change over time. I'm currently logging into minionland on my laptop over a mobile hotspot connection provided by my phone, so building opportunities last as long as the laptop battery.

Hoping this birds eye view of minionland brings some extra joy to the server. (We've done a nether highway, underground highway, ice highway, regular massive highway, why not a skyway?) Minionland has to be the best interconnected server in minecrafts existance. 

Now if youll excuse me, ive got more roads to build. -Emperor Tzphard/Seanthegen

Addendum One minor, minor project thart I'm working on is making a personal poster/fridgemagnet of minionland, if anyone has any completed recent journeymap files, let me know. Dynamap is great but editing out the user interface in dyamap is tedious, if anyone knows of how to completly disable dynamaps interface for the purpose of screenshotting, let me know!

Edited by Gregthegen