Gopher's Minions
Sophieskyrim1984

Have you tried to live a normal boring life in Skyrim

Have you ever just followed a normal boring life in Skyrim. By chopping wood, collecting vegetables to sell, fish catching to cook and eat and just went city to city and village to village doing the same thing for more than 15 minutes or more than two or more hours. I have done over 11,000 hours in Skyrim since release and spent 500 of the hours in Riverwood and then did the same for a large number of hours in all cities and villages and then explored in an adventure type way.

So have you tried or did you go through one or two play-throughs, try to live a normal boring life 

Edited by Sophieskyrim1984

My current play through I began as an orphan 12 year old girl in jail for theft. I used a mod to delay the thieves guild until I had progressed all thief skills to high levels. So I began the game with no one prompting me to do anything in Riften. I picked pockets to survive.  I slept on the street. I got arrested many times for stealing. I loved it. The game is so different when the quests are suppressed. It is so much fun to just live in Skyrim.

I know this is a very old thread, but that's what I'm doing now. Basically I'm a tourist, with a goal of visiting every major city in Skyrim. I'm not doing any quests except for postal deliver type things, avoiding combat whenever possible and generally spend most of the time riding around enjoying the scenery. It's irl winter right now, everything is cold, dark and dead, so I just want to wander the wilds and drink my tea. I'd wager eventually I'll get entangled in the world, I have a nasty habit of scavenging the dead and a certain moral ambiguity about theft, but for now it's just me, a horse I found by a dead bandit, and a goat called Lucy who seems to have taken a fancy to said horse. 

Brinicio  -- Old threads are fine. 

I don't believe you have introduced yourself before so.... Welcome to the forum. Watch out for flying bats and rats and cats with fire bombs and flame throwers. And don't forget to munch a technologically superior chemically engineered chocolate chip cookie (or what ever flavor you prefer) while you are here. We try not to bite, but sometimes long fangs get stuck in the carpets.

Right now I just started a brand new playthrough of Skyrim installing all the mods that Legacy of the Dragon born can use. A total of 255 mods at this point and I hope that is topped out. I have mods installed to delay all the quests and Thieves Guild Requirements are set around 80-90. I am playing as an orphan alchemist motivated to explore solely to find alchemical reagents. I got so involved I was not answering my phone and my friends called the police because they were afraid I had died in real life. Luckily I happened to check my phone as they were about to storm my gate. They are still mad at me for turning my phone off. I have three companions to carry stuff I find, but usually a single dungeon crawl fills our carrying capacity to the max... one of the difficulty mods running set my carry weight really low. I increased the carry weight but it is still less than vanilla. I am running the mod "Experience" which makes leveling up really slow. I am also running INEED and the cold mod. Aside from getting killed easily by low level monsters, I am enjoying my new game.

I remember Lucy.

Anyway... have fun ... enjoy the forums ....   :)

Edited by Cryzeteur

:lol: That sounds like an amazing set up! I don't post much here but I did introduce myself a loooooooooooong time ago, it's how I got involved in Minion-land (thanks Shawn:P) and that's where I've spent most of my free time the last year or so ^^ I've now also added the Legacy mod to my play-through, looks very exciting! I was going to wait to play Skyrim again until I had a better computer....but I got impatient, so currently trying to carefully balance my plate of mods on a very tiny and worn out gpu tea saucer ^^

Well I hope you manage to get a stable set-up. One thing you can do if you have problems getting set=up is to only run a few mods and add-play-delete any DLC sized mod you want to play. If you have slow internet, it sometimes takes up to 4 days to download 5-10 Gigabytes of data, but it is worth it. Some of the Skyrim mods are amazing. Legacy is the only mod that has to be loaded before you start a new game that I know about. If you try to load it on a later save it will break your game.

I think Gopher loaded legacy before the new update, so he is stuck because the description says the update cannot be placed into a game using the old version.

Edited by Cryzeteur

I've already restarted my game several times already due to issues heh ^^'. But I think I have it set this time, all the survival mods, Legacy, some followers, a few aesthetic things and specific location makeovers, a few game alterations like Ordinator, Deadly Dragons, quest line delays. I've never done the main questline past meeting the Greybeards, or any of the guild questlines, so I don't need a massive amount of extra content, and, as stated, I really enjoy just wandering around killing deer, picking mushrooms and scavenging the local road kill ^^ So far Im getting a steady 60 fps and minimal crashes, so think I'll leave well enough alone for the moment ^^ Thankfully my internet is better now, in the past it took about 24 hours to download Skyrim itself ^^'

I love this type of playstiles. With a few mods you can change Skyrim into a "Tamriel Life Simulator" and just as one of the mods says, "Live Another Life" :)

I remember reading a story on a blog about a guy doing it and loving the idea. My "adventuring times" ended that day :)

I suppose you could say I've taken a arrow to the... nevermind

^^ I've been ignoring all the major quests as well in my current playthrough, though I find it hard to stay in character when it comes to not jumping into random dungeons. The 'courier' playstyle I tried at the start was great fun though, and it works decently as a prelude for the Legacy museum quests. I've used my fetch-and-deliver quest earnings to first acquire Lakeview and then spent a lot of time just building up the house and foraging for resources (no AFK iron farms in Skyrim sadly). With the Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul, harvesting is new and fresh again.

Now at level 28, I was on the road back home from Markarth yesterday, and have finally triggered the attack on the Western Watch Tower to start the dragons. I usually do the Dragonborn DLC as soon as I can ("take care of these cultists before I deal with the dragons - can't do both at once"), so I will probably use Solstheim to transition from 'odd job taker' to 'actual hero'.

5 hours ago, Tirius said:

^^ I've been ignoring all the major quests as well in my current playthrough, though I find it hard to stay in character when it comes to not jumping into random dungeons. The 'courier' playstyle I tried at the start was great fun though, and it works decently as a prelude for the Legacy museum quests. I've used my fetch-and-deliver quest earnings to first acquire Lakeview and then spent a lot of time just building up the house and foraging for resources (no AFK iron farms in Skyrim sadly). With the Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul, harvesting is new and fresh again.

Now at level 28, I was on the road back home from Markarth yesterday, and have finally triggered the attack on the Western Watch Tower to start the dragons. I usually do the Dragonborn DLC as soon as I can ("take care of these cultists before I deal with the dragons - can't do both at once"), so I will probably use Solstheim to transition from 'odd job taker' to 'actual hero'.

Because I have the experience mod installed I am levelling up very slowly, about 1 level every three hours of play. The only thing I have been concentrating on is alchemy. Wandering around collecting flowers. I have just earned enough money to buy the property out of Morthol. I am running Ordinator and have completed the first requirement quests for Legacy and am now a partner in adventuring. I am only level16, which is about 48 hours into the game. I am level 51 in Alchemy. I did complete the first dragon, bought the house in Whiterun, went to the Greybeards and got Jergen's horn. I am about to go out on another flower/butterfly run. Selling potions raises speech which makes cash flow a lot better. Otherwise I have been arrested 5 times, twice accidentally, and spent time in jail twice. I am running iNeed with the followers set as using food and coin, which keeps me busy with three followers. I am too weak to confront anything in the dungeons and my followers have been wiped out several times, so I had to set them on 0% chance of death. It is strange being so weak. An entirely different play through.

As a warning, running any chance of death on iNeed when you go to jail usually kills you.

Edited by Cryzeteur

I installed a mod called "Requiem" once. gopherRTFM
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19281/

It kinda forced this kind of play upon me. I was getting one-bitten to death by skeevers. Hence I spent levels 1 through 8 chopping wood in Whiterun. At level 5-ish I started to go outside the walls to hunt. Weeks passed. At level 9 or 10, Talos only remembers why, I ventured northwest across the wild. Destination: Solitude (bards college?). I avoided all major predators, cunningly crouch-walking like a skilled Khajiit, until one day at the edge of Hjaalmarch. Skyrimming my way on the cliff-side overlooking Dead Man's Respite, beneath a waterfall I came upon a troll. I had learned from reading up on the beasts of Skyrim that these creatures were very sensitive to fire. The joyous realization of remembering this fact soon faded away as I then remembered I knew not any fire spells, nor did I posses a torch. The beast tore me limb from limb. Many a time. I tried climbing to the top of the cliff and shooting it with arrows from above. The arrows soon ran out, the beast unscathed. The few scratches were healing fast. I tried hiding, but the beast could smell me and followed in my stead no matter the direction nor speed I fled. Night was falling and so approached the cold (Frostfall). I realized now I had two choices. To freeze to death or to be eaten by this beast. I decided to face the troll and die a fighter rather than a coward.

Me: Nope > Remove "Requiem"
10/10 and endorsed. gopherVaultStiv Would not die to a skeever again TYVM.

Requiem being what it is I imagined it would be hard and more realistic. I had read the manual. It did not prepare me. Quite a unique role-playing experience. Chopping wood had a vastly different weight from the usual game balance. It transformed from a game mechanic and a chore into a lifeline source of income and an excuse to not go outside the walls until ready. Predators were not trivial nuisances but something to avoid provoking if possible (also mudcrabs and skeevers) lest you succumb to disease or bleed to death if you're lucky. Dungeons and caves? What are those? Wot mate? Someone nicked your dragon claw and you would have me fetch it? Are you in a hurry? There's wolves and trolls on that there mountain? Bandits? Ha, ha! Wot, you think this is a game? You go right ahead and fetch it? I ain't qualified. Me, you'll see me come Saturalia if I live that long.

I appreciated Requiem for what it is, but I decided it wasn't for me. Ultimately I like freedom in games, not being restricted, and I felt restricted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 hours ago, Eliorim said:

I installed a mod called "Requiem" once. gopherRTFM
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19281/

I ain't qualified. Me, you'll see me come Saturalia if I live that long.

I appreciated Requiem for what it is, but I decided it wasn't for me. Ultimately I like freedom in games, not being restricted, and I felt restricted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My set-up is almost as bad as Requiem, but not quite. I did try Requiem once... only once. It doth not maketh a pleasant days adventuring... :D

However, that said, I have been killed by skeevers twice, wolves four or five times, and a mud crab once. I am trying my best to avoid serious combat. I am running a dragon mod that makes them far more dangerous and I have been one-shotted by dragons several times.

However, it gets weirder...

I am running a Japanese mod that put me in a quest in which I had to chase a fellow all over Skyrim to Whiterun and all the text is in Japanese and silent-voice. I understand a little Japanese but I cannot read Japanese. The quest is still active but there is no pointer so I have no idea what I am supposed to do. I would delete the mod, except I don't know what it is called.   :P

Ignoring it for now.  :P

Edited by Cryzeteur

Reading all of this makes me want to start over again lol, I haven't kept my character very focused and now their skills are all over the board, the quest log is over the top (need to install The Choice is Yours) and I keep forgetting why I came to Skyrim in the first place ^^' Also Requiem sounds interesting...>:D