Gopher's Minions
Roachbait FNV

Groundwork for a new gaming PC

Hey all... :D

Yep, ol' Roachbait here is looking for advice on building/buying a new system to run newer games on...

Things like the new Skyrim, Fallout 4, and (of course) New Vegas...

...or whatever else happens to come along, in the near future.

Here's the scoop:

My little ol' laptop (an HP-2000) just ain't cuttin' the mustard anymore...and, it doesn't do the Wasteland Maid Service much justice as far as frame-rate, and play-ability has been goin', for a very long time now (over 4 years).

Seeing how I do construction for a living (again), and that my financial situation has been a shambles (up to now), I've been a bit 'out-of-the-loop', as far as how much the tech has passed me by...

To put it simply, I've had bigger concerns than "What sort of computer should I buy/build for games/recording for Youtube..."

...you know, stuff like food, and shelter from the elements...that sort of thing.

Now that things are looking a LOT better for me, I feel the time has come to upgrade to something far better than a glorified doorstop that barely runs New Vegas at a wonderful 20-30 FPS when I'm not recording, and about 10 FPS when I am...

(Ugh...the lag...it's been wearing at me for too long, I think...).

So, any suggestions are welcome, hell...feel free to argue about what's best...

The more input I get, the better I'll be able to decide on which way to go with it, and what to eventually get.

Besides that, I feel that relocating the Wasteland Maid Service to Boston, or Skyrim (or both) seems like a way to go...

And, who wouldn't want to see me loose my mind trying to clean up the Glowing Sea, or being eaten by uppity dragons? :rolleyes:

I have no idea...

But yeah, feel free to toss in your two-cents-worth... :D

Roachbait FNV

Intel Quad-Core i7-7700   $350 -$400

16GB DDR4 RAM    $150 -$200

500 GB SSD $100  and 1TB HDD  $50  

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080   (sell your soul it's cheaper)  or   $800 to $1200

also Power supply, Monitor, case, MOBO

This kind of build you may even be able to play Cyberpunk2077 whenever it may be released.

There are other threads on this very subject in the forums, so you may want to look them up also.

I know your situation, both past and present.   Let me know where you stand as far as $$$ Before you start this, maybe Santa can make a early visit, you have been doing good this year.

Lots of deal out there for gamingPCs running 980/1060's under 1000 bucks. No head aches, no oh crap I ordered the wrong power supply cords for the GPU...

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GXIVR8020A5-Desktop-i5-8400-Processor/dp/B0757DVF4Z?th=1

Even cyberpunk will have to run on consoles so there's nothing wrong with last years gear. 2017/18 Game quality is just not getting much better.

I'm still running a GTX 780 and getting 60fps with modded SkyrimSE on ultra setting same for FO3/NV

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, OutandBack said:

Lots of deal out there for gamingPCs running 980/1060's under 1000 bucks. No head aches, no oh crap I ordered the wrong power supply cords for the GPU...

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GXIVR8020A5-Desktop-i5-8400-Processor/dp/B0757DVF4Z?th=1

Even cyberpunk will have to run on consoles so there's nothing wrong with last years gear. 2017/18 Game quality is just not getting much better.

I'm still running a GTX 780 and getting 60fps with modded SkyrimSE on ultra setting same for FO3/NV

Probably a bad idea to buy a GTX 980 or GTX 1060 for a thousand buck system when the new tech coming out will probably make the GTX 1080 price drop significantly. RTX is amazing.

I have been contemplating this same situation. My PC is still a heavy duty gaming machine but it is 12 years old and will probably fail soon. It has gone through two hard drives and is working it's way through a third. Four fans and two GTX units as well. Retired, I have no spare money, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

I am concerned that new tech will soon make desktops obsolete.... so is it worth it to build a new PC at this point? Maybe better to wait to see what happens? Will I have to concentrate on following laptops or mini-desktops?

Edited by Cryzeteur

31 minutes ago, Cryzeteur said:

I am concerned that new tech will soon make desktops obsolete...

I know right... Cyborg Implants  they are coming!  I just can't see how they are going to shrink the GTX 1080 to fix behind your eye:blink:

24 minutes ago, Flyddon said:

I know right... Cyborg Implants  they are coming!  I just can't see how they are going to shrink the GTX 1080 to fix behind your eye:blink:

Um... now you want an RTX installed... no room for two of them...    

So this is what I have decided, I am going to wait ... wait until they announce the release date for CP2077.  Then I will look and see what video card is out there and decide if it much better than my GTX 1080 Ti 11gb super uber max heater.

21 hours ago, Flyddon said:

So this is what I have decided, I am going to wait ... wait until they announce the release date for CP2077.  Then I will look and see what video card is out there and decide if it much better than my GTX 1080 Ti 11gb super uber max heater.

Good idea ... I am waiting for my present GTX980 system to die with no hope of resurrection... then we shall see...

Edited by Cryzeteur

Thanks for the input guys...

I looked over the link OutandBack, and, at the bottom there, there were quite a few juicy deals to be had...

I guess I'll keep shopping, for now, and saving my pennies, so I can have something that will stand the test of time, and perform well...and look good doing it... :D

Game-lag can be a prime motivator, it seems, so I really can't wait to have a system that runs smooth as silk...

...and, that is the one thing my viewers bring to my attention, the most...

The one thing I really have been powerless to fix, up 'til now...

It's just been too much, for too long, as it is... :blink:

I really can't wait to put out some better vids...and, (maybe) actually get my channel off the floor (maybe)...

I mean, it's been about 4 years now...I dunno, maybe (maybe) this will get it off the ground, a little...sheesh... :mellow:

Whelp I got a vid I want to shoot today...a brand-new house-mod, just came out, it looks like it's pretty neat-o...

...maybe, I can get the jump on everyone else...

...maybe...

:)

Roachbait FNV

I just looked at Fry's Electronics and see that I could build a 3.1 GHz CPU, 16 GB memory, 2TB HD system for $250.00. This is the spec for PS5 according to some sources. Add in a Blue Ray Player and controller and the package could easily sell for $399.

I am not suggesting anyone build such a system, but it could be done.

My next system will probably approach 4-6 GHz (AMD Ryzen 7 8-core $200 or 3.2 GHz Threadripper $300), 32 GB memory ($147-$250), 20 TB HD and 1 TB solid state drive (Western Digital is only $65) with an upgrade to RTX 1080 ($800) or higher. I generally go to Fry's and look at what they have on sale. I could probably build this system for less than $1300. 

Edited by Cryzeteur

Dunno, if you already upgraded but make sure to get a CPU with atleast 6 cores as games coming out now benefit from the extra cores, i recommended a AMD Ryzen 5 2600. Also if you getting a 1080p monitor a AMD RX 580 or Nvidia GTX 1070 should be more than enough for that resolution for many years to come.