Gopher's Minions
Caloss2

Before Gopher pulls the trigger on a threadripper.

Hmm interesting video, i think Vegas 15 already have a similar feature that they added sometime last year but I'm not sure. Hopefully, he will see this :D 

But yeah i think our great lord gopher will do his research before he pulls the trigger, i have a view of him being on a similar technical knowledge as myself tho i nearly always spent at least 2 weeks to a month of research before i pull the trigger on something :P 

4 hours ago, TheLazyGrizzly said:

Hmm interesting video, i think Vegas 15 already have a similar feature that they added sometime last year but I'm not sure. Hopefully, he will see this :D 

But yeah i think our great lord gopher will do his research before he pulls the trigger, i have a view of him being on a similar technical knowledge as myself tho i nearly always spent at least 2 weeks to a month of research before i pull the trigger on something :P 

I'd be dumbfounded if Gopher hadn't done a ridiculous amount of research before "pulling the trigger" he does tend to go over things with a fine tooth comb. And he certainly has a great deal of technical knowledge; but nobody knows everything when it comes to technology it really isn't possible; it's changing faster than a person is capable of learning; however one thing a threadripper system can handle effectively that most pro-somour systems can't, is render more than one video at a time .. I'm just a YT hobbyist really, but Gopher has to pay the bills with his channel; so something that can further automate his production process effectively has to be worth it.

And while I'm here, thank you again for gifting me the twitch subscription. You're far too kind.

3 hours ago, Silverthorn1111 said:

Kind of intrigued by the lack of i7 7820X in that video... :huh:

Something else that needs to be considered is that we are on a technology cusp right now. An entirely new set of chips with smaller architecture is about to come out. There are massive changes in theory and application coming with the new chips. NVIDIA is on the edge of the current technology and are doing things with the current tech that were not thought possible a year ago. NVIDIA Tesla is Volta architecture at 12nm. They are working on 9nm processors but are keeping this top secret.

The Intel Core I9-7900 processor has 14nm architecture and has a base speed of 3.30 GHz and turbo of 4.3 GHz. It has 20 threads.

The Threadripper with 16 threads is based on 14nm architecture is rated with a base speed of 6.00 GHz with a turbo mode. However tests show an actual turbo speed of 4.00 to 4.20 GHz. The main feature for Gopher is 64 lanes of simultaneous graphics processing. This is why it is good for Gopher.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-review,29.html

The technology that should be released before 2022 is the Sapphire Rapids 7-9nm architecture with a possible base speed of 7.00 GHz. This will be a significant change as the voltage will be significantly lower. This is also so near the theoretical minimum architecture that no reduction in architecture to 4nm would be expected for quite a few years. This manufacturing slowdown is due to production problems.

At 1nm architecture (most molecules are larger than a quarter of a nanometer) the quantum effects would dominate the system. It is currently unknown if such systems could be tamed. Theoretically systems could be built by placing individual atoms on a chip and the technology is being developed to do just that. Crystal memories are being developed where information is stored on individual atoms. A one carat crystal contains about a million petaflops of atoms, so future chips could contain the computer memory on the chip.

Actual computer speed depends more on mother board speed and HD speed than on chip speed.

Also, the larger the motherboard, the farther the electrons have to travel, the slower the processing speed. With current tech the size of the mother board in not important but at 7 GHz it begins to take a toll.

Edited by Cryzeteur

20 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

The Threadripper with 16 threads is based on 14nm architecture is rated with a base speed of 6.00 GHz with a turbo mode. However tests show an actual turbo speed of 4.00 to 4.20 GHz

What ? Threadreaper 1950X is rated  3.4Ghz base and  4Ghz Turbo ! Where did you see 6.00Ghz ?

Edited by Silverthorn1111

1 hour ago, Silverthorn1111 said:

What ? Threadreaper 1950X is rated  3.4Ghz base and  4Ghz Turbo ! Where did you see 6.00Ghz ?

I can't find that article now. I thought it was an error when I saw it. Then I decided that it was the theoretical limit of the threadripper technology. Its like the Sapphire Rapids tech that has an estimated maximum speed of 7.00 GHz but it doesn't exist yet so it is really just a guess.

However, I did find one explanation for this unusual speed: "This is why AMD, a much smaller company than Intel, is still in business. Intel advertises Ghz as a measure of speed, while AMD uses "equivalent" clock cycle nymbers." (https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090305010630AAApGxy&guccounter=1) Since the question is on Yahoo, other people are asking this question.

These new chips are not at maximum efficiency though the tech is improving but manufacturing and design can be greatly improved. Thus theoretical limits of a chip may be unrealistic.

The article 6.00 GHz came from was titled something like "Defying the laws of physics." Considering everything, I think they were citing an AMD theoretical limit rather than a clock cycle.

Here is another good article on the threadripper:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3214635/components-processors/ryzen-threadripper-review-we-test-amds-monster-cpu.html

Edited by Cryzeteur