Gopher's Minions
OutandBack

Did you know. Steam game delete cleans out your saves?

I continue to surprise myself on how inept I am at PC gaming.

So my NMM and my Bilago launcher have been acting screwy. NMM says I'm missing files. My Bilago launcher won't save game setting. So I decided to dump it all and start fresh. I had no clue Steam would cleanout my save folder. I'm so pissed at myself Steam and FO4 I'm not going to reload the game. I'm done with it. Waiting on Metro and anything else E3 announces.

es. I have done that. However, I play through games so fast I didn't really care.

When I reload Skyrim it takes at least 10 minutes to set up a new character. Fallout 4 is a pain waiting 5 minutes to get through the introduction.

You can see why I really don't care. :)

More annoying was when I got a ctd and my computer would not come back up. I spent several days figuring out what new computer to buy... and then I woke up at 2 am, and decided to check my cables. Once I got the cable plugged back in all was fine. :P 

Edited by Cryzeteur

@Cryzeteur I know what you mean. I do many characters and don't really care about them once the game is over.

On this occasion I just spent the last 4 days getting a new character going and was sick of NMM and Bilbo acting up everytime I launched the game so I though I'd fix it with a new reload of all three apps. The start of FO4 is a pain in the a ss once you've done it 20 times. I have close to 2000 hours in this game. But I'm done for now.

8 hours ago, OutandBack said:

I continue to surprise myself on how inept I am at PC gaming.

So my NMM and my Bilago launcher have been acting screwy. NMM says I'm missing files. My Bilago launcher won't save game setting. So I decided to dump it all and start fresh. I had no clue Steam would cleanout my save folder. I'm so pissed at myself Steam and FO4 I'm not going to reload the game. I'm done with it. Waiting on Metro and anything else E3 announces.

it could be recognising a save folder in another location as your game save files folder, this can happen if you are using one drive for example.  It could be due to one of the recent windows 10 updates (if you are using windows) or if you played around with your one drive settings.

for example my save files were located under one drive, which annoyed me so I backed up my save files and deleted the  documents/my games files under one drive.  steam then started using the my games folder directly under the documents file within the users directory instead of the one drive file.

your saves are probably still there but steam may be using a different directory to the one it used before to look up save files.

ps: make a new save and look for where that save file ends up.  If the situation is like I said then manually transferring your old save files to the new folder that steam has allocated for game saves will fix the problem and you will be able to boot up your old saves.

13 hours ago, Morrandir said:

it could be recognising a save folder in another location as your game save files folder, this can happen if you are using one drive for example.  It could be due to one of the recent windows 10 updates (if you are using windows) or if you played around with your one drive settings.

for example my save files were located under one drive, which annoyed me so I backed up my save files and deleted the  documents/my games files under one drive.  steam then started using the my games folder directly under the documents file within the users directory instead of the one drive file.

your saves are probably still there but steam may be using a different directory to the one it used before to look up save files.

ps: make a new save and look for where that save file ends up.  If the situation is like I said then manually transferring your old save files to the new folder that steam has allocated for game saves will fix the problem and you will be able to boot up your old saves.

Yes. Steam often gets confused if it can find multiple game file locations. I had saved a vanilla game for programming and even renaming the folder, Steam still found it.

If you have the Steam Cloud services enabled then you might be able to recover your save data from that. When I re-installed Payday 2 to give it another try a little while back (after Gopher and them gave it another try), I was able to recover my save data and progress for that game via the Steam Cloud.

10 hours ago, Sup3rNo7a said:

If you have the Steam Cloud services enabled then you might be able to recover your save data from that. When I re-installed Payday 2 to give it another try a little while back (after Gopher and them gave it another try), I was able to recover my save data and progress for that game via the Steam Cloud.

Thank you for the tip. I don't have Steam Cloud active. When it first came out I used it but I play so much It filled fast and crashed my game. Steam would not allow me to go in and delete old saves. The whole thing was a mess so I have never turned that feature back on. Maybe its fixed now.