Gopher's Minions
KeithWrites

Save/Load Multiple Thunking

I was wondering why when I go to SAVE or LOAD - the system menu does that annoying thunk multiple times - Having recently started nearly 10 games as I experiment with different mods, such as Skyrim Unbound (and 144 others)  I noticed a bit of a pattern.   So, I was up to level 20 with my current play (which I'm planning to take to the 'end', and I get 4 THUNKS every time I go to save.  Yet, newer games with fewer saves had none or 1, or even 2 -  So, I pulled up ShowRaceMenu and saved my character with a new name - which has the effect of creating a new save list for the character (previous saves are no longer in the list)  I now get no extra THUNK when I select save - it works as it's supposed to -- I suspect there is a bug in the UI that doesn't handle the linked lists of games for the selected character very well.  So, if you don't care about going back to previous saves - you might try this.  Note:  You can use the same name - it has the same effect, but you now have two characters with the same name - continue will work fine, but if you want to load, be careful to pick the correct version of that character name. 

- Mods - you might mention this to his lordship as he did wonder about it in one of the live streams. 

Edited by KeithWrites
notify gopher

11 hours ago, KeithWrites said:

I was wondering why when I go to SAVE or LOAD - the system menu does that annoying thunk multiple times - Having recently started nearly 10 games as I experiment with different mods, such as Skyrim Unbound (and 144 others)  I noticed a bit of a pattern.   So, I was up to level 20 with my current play (which I'm planning to take to the 'end', and I get 4 THUNKS every time I go to save.  Yet, newer games with fewer saves had none or 1, or even 2 -  So, I pulled up ShowRaceMenu and saved my character with a new name - which has the effect of creating a new save list for the character (previous saves are no longer in the list)  I now get no extra THUNK when I select save - it works as it's supposed to -- I suspect there is a bug in the UI that doesn't handle the linked lists of games for the selected character very well.  So, if you don't care about going back to previous saves - you might try this.  Note:  You can use the same name - it has the same effect, but you now have two characters with the same name - continue will work fine, but if you want to load, be careful to pick the correct version of that character name. 

- Mods - you might mention this to his lordship as he did wonder about it in one of the live streams. 

I just had a similar problem in which there was a key-press noise when I hit save followed by a series of nine resets... sometimes the number of resets would change and then remain the same number for a period of time. Each reset the SAVE button would blink and there would be a sound. While it was resetting none of the buttons or keys would do anything. When it was done, the system and interface seemed normal. The problem also showed up in Microsoft Edge Hub as nine resets.

Curiously I solved it by unwrapping my controller wire from around my keyboard wire. I am assuming I either had a bad connection in the wiring and unplugging the wires and plugging them back in fixed the problem, or, maybe I was getting interference between the two interface wires. Anyway it was easy to fix.

Your thunk may be an alternate sound for my reset sound. These sounds are easily changed by installing certain software.

Could be.  I'm not sure at what point SkyUI takes over, if it controls the desktop menu (Continue, Load, ....., Quit) then I'd say it's likely. I waited for SKSE and SkyUI before doing more than just goofing around in SE, so I don't really have any un-modded experience to go by. 

I thought I solved the thunking in my system, but it is back when I do a save in SkyrimSE. It came back when I did a mod update. 

However the other problems I was having in my browser are gone. So they were not related.