Gopher's Minions

E3 2018

Cryzeteur

2 hours ago, Arrogant said:

It's greedy. If EA, Activision, or Ubisoft were to pull it, there would be riots. Bethesda seems to always get a pass though.

Don't be silly, they have all pulled it.
Early Access has been around a few years now, that is just Beta, or in some cases Alpha state games, most of which you have to pay for.
They get players to pay to test their games for them; 10 years ago the companies themselves would have to hire playtesters, not anymore. Now instead of costing money it makes them money.  Not good practice.

32 minutes ago, Goatcha said:

Early Access has been around a few years now, that is just Beta, or in some cases Alpha state games, most of which you have to pay for.
They get players to pay to test their games for them; 10 years ago the companies themselves would have to hire playtesters, not anymore. Now instead of costing money it makes them money.  Not good practice.

Not like this. They don't send someone out on stage, hype them up with a "beta", and then pull a bait and switch and put a pre-order requirement on it. People at Activision and Bungie got death threats over simple cosmetic items in Destiny 2, and here Bethesda is, being greedy as fuck, and people don't care.

All people are talking about from E3 is Fallout 76, Starfield, and TESVI. That's it. Go look on reddit, Bethesda Game Studios alone has like 7 threads on the front page of /r/games. Bethesda always gets a pass with this type of thing. Always. You see people being pessimistic as shit about every other game, but nope, not Fallout 76. Yeah, there are a lot of disappointed fans, but for every one of them, there are 10 others saying, "Oh, it'll be fine. It'll be great. This is Bethesda, have some faith." Like that actually means anything. This is a company that outsources support for their own games to their consumers.

Edited by Arrogant

2 hours ago, OutandBack said:

I just watched this NoClip Doc with Oxhorn on twitch and you know I've changed my mind. Many questions answered. I think I'm pre ordering. No this is not Fallout5 but it looks like it is going to be a hell of a lot of fun to play.

It is tempting,l but I wouldn't pre-order unless they have carved off content (which they had better not do! *shakes fist*).
Never pre-order, it is bad for the gaming industry and very bad for consumers.
Besides there hasn't been an online game yet that hasn't crashed the servers at launch because of too many players trying to get on at once. Better to wait a week or two.

10 hours ago, OutandBack said:

So it's a buy to BETA ? That's a new concept.

Final Fantasy Online and Elder Scrolls Online both had you buy the beta game at a discount and then you got the released game for free.

6 hours ago, Goatcha said:

Yep. I played Alpha FFO and ESO and had to preorder both times. hmm... I also did the Destiny Beta.

Edited by Cryzeteur

10 minutes ago, Goatcha said:

It is tempting,l but I wouldn't pre-order unless they have carved off content (which they had better not do! *shakes fist*).
Besides there hasn't been an online game yet that hasn't crashed the servers at launch because of too many players trying to get on at once. Better to wait a week or two.

Yep. I have gone through hours of crashes and strange mechanics... and waiting for something to start. But overall every alpha or beta I have been in was fun. ESO was a lot more fun in Beta than when it came out. FFO Beta was a completely different game on release.

Edited by Cryzeteur

8 minutes ago, Goatcha said:

If you want in the BETA you have to pre order. Maybe you missed that part.

6 hours ago, OutandBack said:

If you want in the BETA you have to pre order. Maybe you missed that part.

You didn't say you wanted in the BETA.

Anyway, lets talk about something more interesting.
Who else thinks that ES6 needs to include a quest where you go to Sovngarde seeking the fabled Bow of the Dragonborn which he reputedly lost there during his last epic battle with Alduin.
Legend says its a Stalhrim Shortbow of Legendary status with powerful enchantments upon it.

Here is something I missed on the PC Gaming Show on E3.  Thought I post it here incase others missed it as well.  I hope this game has a success since the mod that it is coming from was one of the most popular Skyrim mods ever.  And I am sure some of you here has played that mod too. :P

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-forgotten-city-is-a-new-standalone-game-based-on-the-award-winning-mod/

Note that Starfield will take a lot of work after this year so don't expect a release in 2019. This means ES6 is delayed to at earliest 2022, best guess. They may show a trailer for Starfield at E3 2019.

Edited by Cryzeteur

The most interesting thing about this interview to me is that Todd Howard says that they are getting there in terms of the engine to make Starfield and ES6. Getting there is obviously the new innovations in Fallout 76 that allows denser worlds without significant slowing of the processor. This also allows larger worlds and more complicated worlds.

It does not sound as though Bethesda is going to put together quite as powerful an engine as CDProjectRed. Everyone who saw the Cyberpunk 2077 demo remarked on the complexity of the world and how they didn't think games would ever look so real, cities look so real, so complex, with everything so individually crafted and detailed. Unique conversations in the background that sounded like street talk.

This is a long way from Final Fantasy Online Beta where portions of the map were copied exactly to save memory. Or Arena where the world was so repetitive that it was more like Minecraft. 

Anyway. This shows what they are working on and what we can expect in Starfield and ES6. Also notice that Starfield is definitely single player with only a possibility of social interaction in the future but nothing like that currently planned AND Starfield is currently actually playable.

This tells me that Starfield will have a reveal at E3 2019 and will be released in the winter of 2019/2020. I think the exact release date is going to depend on how involved they still are in Fallout 76 and Blades. As with ESO they may need a separate studio to keep Fallout 76 running with continual new material.

Edited by Cryzeteur