Gopher's Minions
OutandBack

THE FOREST #58 : Efficient Bone Collectors

No idea what Gopher is doing trying to bring his sanity down. Nothing happens when your sanity is zero. The easiest way to drop your sanity to zero is to get the achievement Major Cannibalism.

When you mount a trophy it is not bloody. Though the little rabbit head over Gopher's bed is really silly.

I have tons of extra bones that I get from my killing field on the route just below the bluff across from Gopher Island.

My bunnies are still reproducing so fast I keep running out of storage room on four racks.

Should have put that first line in a spoiler box @Cryzeteur.  He is trying it as an experiment to see what happens; Hoping for an achievement more than likely, and frankly there should be one.
Gopher won't eat people and I don't blame him, but if he wants to drop it quickly he should just go spelunking.
Heck, just raid the booze cave every time they visit the village.  There is skulls and sticks down there too, the potential for batteries in the cases as well.

Oh and message for @Gopher.  One: You aren't bugg, you are just athletic. To build strength in this game you have to swing something (axe/bone/katana) while you have excess calories.
You are far too obsessed with losing weight by running around and never spend any time training strength.

Point 2: the reason the bunnies aren't breeding is because the cages are too far apart.  Optimum is 10 bunnies in 5 cages in one very close group.
Agree with destroying the bunny head over your bed, you should have a wall of bunny heads like Chay said though.
Also, you should make sure you have max health, health+ and energy mixes (experiment with combining herbs).
Might get you some seeds, will certainly lt you stay alive longer in tough fights.

Just make a wall of deadfall traps for truly efficient bone collection.

Sigh, just had this idea now that they need a tower with a zipline to the island for ferrying bodies, and then remembered that can't send bodies like logs, you have to carry them.
Should be able to put bones on a carrier sled, try holding the bone and loading it like with the drying racks.
Oh and on the subject of food @Gopher if you put dried food on a fire it cooks instantly.

Edited by Goatcha

3 hours ago, Goatcha said:

Just make a wall of deadfall traps for truly efficient bone collection.

Sigh, just had this idea now that they need a tower with a zipline to the island for ferrying bodies, and then remembered that can't send bodies like logs, you have to carry them.
Should be able to put bones on a carrier sled, try holding the bone and loading it like with the drying racks.
Oh and on the subject of food @Gopher if you put dried food on a fire it cooks instantly.

Actually throw in some happy-birthday-traps as well because some natives are smart enough to avoid the deadfalls, or so fast they can just run through them, but then get whacked in the face with a happy-birthday-trap. Still, most are killed by the deadfalls.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Personally I like a two-tiered set of traps with birthdays in between deadfalls as per my video on my bone collection sight at the shipping containers.
The birthdays are especially nice as they block the natives like a fence after springing.
However birthdays require quite a lot of resources, deadfalls just need 3 logs and a stick.

The wall configuration I meant (though didn't say, silly me) is what Farket did in one stream, you literally set up a fence of them all facing out. 
Spaced too close together for natives to get through them.  It doesn't use any more logs than a log wall, possibly less logs and is essentially one big death trap.

Another Farket idea I haven't tried yet, but would be fun to watch Gopher and Chay attempt is the Native trap.
A ring of targets surrounding a ring of water collectors.  Natives are inclined to jump over the targets from the front, but can't damage or jump over water collectors and so you can get a whole bunch of live bone donors nicely trapped and kill them at your leisure.

3 hours ago, Goatcha said:

Personally I like a two-tiered set of traps with birthdays in between deadfalls as per my video on my bone collection sight at the shipping containers.
The birthdays are especially nice as they block the natives like a fence after springing...    Another Farket idea ...

Farket is where I got several of my ideas. He is also the source for the information on the routes the natives run and the killing fields using traps. His information is a lot more specific than the info on The Forest Wiki. I watched his video on the killing fields and native run routes and that inspired me to build my first killing field. It works beautifully. 

The funniest thing about Happy Birthday Traps is that one native will run into one and die so the trap is up and blocks the natives behind, so I run up and reset the trap. The next native runs into it and dies. And the silliness repeats. 

I don't like the traps too close together because then I trigger them, but two rows of deadfalls staggered so that the natives can't run around with a wall of birthdays on either side -- facing outward -- works beautifully when carefully placed at a choke point. I run into the middle with the natives chasing me and they run right into the traps. Many of them will run right through the traps, but each time they do so they take a little damage and usually three traps will kill even the strongest and fastest.

My bunnies are still reproducing at a ridiculous rate. I have five or six bunnies in each cage and six cages. I have, I think six skin racks full of skins and my house is built. I only have four crafting items I have not built so I really do not need the skins. It was very hard to STOP killing bunnies. It is like NOT looting. Or NOT picking flowers in Skyrim. Very hard habit to break.

I can't find chanterelle mushrooms and the Geese always fly away as I arrive at Goose Lake so those are the two main things I have left to do.

Trophy collecting requires running all the way home -- doesn't count to spread trophies all over the place -- without dropping it to fight the natives. It is actually a lot of fun. Especially the shark which blocks about half of your view.

The game does not keep track of accomplishments very well. I trapped a fish and it took more than a week in game before the accomplishment showed up. I killed a snowshoe bunnie and collected other stuff and the book still shows them as never seen.

I really like doing the accomplishments. However, playing as a single player you can't get the multiplayer accomplishments.

Oh... I put me tree to tree zip line from the upper ledge where Gopher and Chay put their higher zip that Gopher uses to turtle shell back to Turtle Island. I then put the lower end on the little tree across the inlet below the high bluff across the bay from Turtle Island. It goes right through the pine trees and is an incredible rush to use. I land right on the far side of my killing field in total safety. Much fun. 

Edited by Cryzeteur