Gopher's Minions
OutandBack

SKYRIM - Special Edition #7 : Is a torch really too much to ask for?

Well, well now.  This is starting to look a bit familiar in a way, almost when a certain Jack had a terrible time finding a Sledge Hammer, although this time Lenny is looking for a Torch. :P

On another note, what is the mod Gopher is using for the Tarot card thingy ??

"I'm a complicated person... OK?"

"You're just selling food? Alright."

"Find another job."

Gopher never gets old. ... which is very strange...

"So! What I have to do now, is decide what I'm going to do now!"

1 hour ago, Arjy Yu said:

cards are probably from the Legacy of the Dragonborn

take a look - Legacy of the Dragonborn - Fate Cards Re-texture - Skyrim Concept Art

Ahh thanks.  Had a look at that mod but didn't see it mentioned.  Also tried searching on Tarot Card, which didn't gave any hit.  Never tried Fate Card though. :P

One thing that strikes me is that when a dark elf wanders into the city, the first words from another dark elf is asking him whether he hates dark elves.
Hey you, do you hate your own species?

3 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

Well, well now.  This is starting to look a bit familiar in a way, almost when a certain Jack had a terrible time finding a Sledge Hammer, although this time Lenny is looking for a Torch. :P

Heh, you're right about that actually.  Normally you have like 6 before you leave the first cave too. 

Yeah, I have never ever had to even think about torches before. They are like lockpicks: you always have more than you need. Maybe it is because I have not done many 'dungeons' so far. Even on previous 'thief' play throughs I have always done Bleakfalls Barrows before moving on to Whiterun.

@Gopher Clearly Lenny just needs to show how skilled a thief he is by swiping a torch from a guard's hands without him even noticing it's gone. :rolleyes:

Also, I'd recommend installing an "infinite torch" mod, or similar to make them last longer. Torches only last 4 minutes in the vanilla game, and I've no doubt it'd be really frustrating for you to finally find a torch only to have it go out before you even finish Lenny's monologuing his joy at finally finding a torch (funny, but long-term very frustrating).

2 hours ago, Sup3rNo7a said:

@Gopher Clearly Lenny just needs to show how skilled a thief he is by swiping a torch from a guard's hands without him even noticing it's gone. :rolleyes:

Also, I'd recommend installing an "infinite torch" mod, or similar to make them last longer. Torches only last 4 minutes in the vanilla game, and I've no doubt it'd be really frustrating for you to finally find a torch only to have it go out before you even finish Lenny's monologuing his joy at finally finding a torch (funny, but long-term very frustrating).

I never knew this. 4 minutes wow. I always used a mages light and justified it from a trick Ipicked up at the bar one night.

Last time I played Skyrim was 3 to 4 years ago, and it was mostly vanilla and no lighting mods. I'm pretty sure I never used a torch at all. Now I've got ELFX installed and torches are almost mandatory. Its a great improvement. But if they only last 4 minutes, I'll need to pay a lot more attention to finding them.

5 hours ago, Gopher said:

Yeah, I have never ever had to even think about torches before. They are like lockpicks: you always have more than you need. Maybe it is because I have not done many 'dungeons' so far. Even on previous 'thief' play throughs I have always done Bleakfalls Barrows before moving on to Whiterun.

Actually you are making the world darker, so torches are even more necessary and so missed even more. I like the idea of using Mage Light and pretending you learned it in a drinking game in a bar.... :) 

As I recall, when I first started playing Skyrim, I always went straight to Bleakfalls to get my first torch because you cannot pick up the ones during the dragon escape. Then, with torch in hand, I went to Whiterun to learn Mage Light. :P

34 minutes ago, Elhanan said:

It has been a while since I have played myself, but with all the crafting mods and DLC, are torches one of the common items included?

Yes. You can craft torches and I suspect that Lenny can ask any blacksmith to craft one for him. Or maybe 50 since they only last a few minutes.

I don't remember if it was a big mod or just a dungeon in a DLC but it was pitch black and you had to lay down torches to find your way thru. To boot there was something in the dungeon hunting you. Scary as all get out. I don't remember finishing it but it sure sticks in my mind.

1 hour ago, OutandBack said:

I don't remember if it was a big mod or just a dungeon in a DLC but it was pitch black and you had to lay down torches to find your way thru. To boot there was something in the dungeon hunting you. Scary as all get out. I don't remember finishing it but it sure sticks in my mind.

I remember that game. That was a long time back.

5 minutes ago, Cryzeteur said:

I remember that game. That was a long time back.

It was in Skyrim but I can't remember many details. I am leaning toward one of the big new would mods. It wasn't Moon Path, or Falskaar...I think it was Wyrmstooth.

17 minutes ago, OutandBack said:

It was in Skyrim but I can't remember many details. I am leaning toward one of the big new would mods. It wasn't Moon Path, or Falskaar...I think it was Wyrmstooth.

I keep thinking it was Oblivion or even Morrowind. I left a lot of trails of stuff in those games.

Edited by Cryzeteur

So torches are suppose to burn out?  Seriously?  I've lost torches, but I don't think one's ever burned out on me.  I usually pick up the torch on the way out of Helgen and never think of them again unless I need to give one to a follower.  Huh, I wonder what mod it is; obviously one I've used since I began playing.

Torches are infinite for other NPCs as far as I know, they only burn out for the player after 4 minutes if held for the entire duration (you can see in SSEEdit the duration for torches is 240 seconds). Unequipping the torch at any time resets the timer, so you get a fresh 4 minutes when you re-equip it. That could account for people rarely noticing/having issue with torches burning out because they just don't keep them equipped for long enough at a time.

Edited by Sup3rNo7a

3 hours ago, Sup3rNo7a said:

Torches are infinite for other NPCs as far as I know, they only burn out for the player after 4 minutes if held for the entire duration (you can see in SSEEdit the duration for torches is 240 seconds). Unequipping the torch at any time resets the timer, so you get a fresh 4 minutes when you re-equip it. That could account for people rarely noticing/having issue with torches burning out because they just don't keep them equipped for long enough at a time.

I do remember torches burning out and it was such a nuisance that I gave up on them and used magic.

Well happy happy joy joy - Steam just updated Skyrim SE and now SKSE doesn't work.

Guess I can't complain that Bethesda is still fixing things. Just didn't expect an update so soon since the last one was November 2017.