Gopher's Minions

Mods Not Working : Need Bethesda.net Login ??

I just did a complete fresh re-install of this game including F4SE and CBBE. I have edited my .ini's correctly. I use NMM to install. Any texture mods I installed SEEM to work, but none of my .esp based mods. NMM shows the mods/esp's are active before launching the game with F4SE and they still show as active after quitting the game.

I haven't played this game in a long time (1 1/2 years). I noticed in the main menu "MODS" has been added. If I click on this, I can see my esp based mods if I pass over the list with my mouse, but they are dim. With all of the new updates the past year, you don't have to have a Bethesda.net account in order for Nexus downloaded mods to work, do you ? If this isn't the case, any helpful suggestions to get my mods to work ? Thanks in Advance.

Have you used the "verify" function on Steam? I would do that before reinstalling NMM. Or an alternative would be to switch to Vortex instead of messing with NMM. Vortex will take the old NMM setup and sets up the mods afresh. It might fix your problems. 

You can revert to NMM if Vortex doesn't help.

It sounds like you can't mess things up any worse than they are... 

Admittedly Vortex is best tested in Skyrim, but I tried it in Fallout 4 and it worked fine.

Edited by Cryzeteur
15 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

Have you used the "verify" function on Steam? I would do that before reinstalling NMM. Or an alternative would be to switch to Vortex instead of messing with NMM. Vortex will take the old NMM setup and sets up the mods afresh. It might fix your problems. 

You can revert to NMM if Vortex doesn't help.

It sounds like you can't mess things up any worse than they are... 

Admittedly Vortex is best tested in Skyrim, but I tried it in Fallout 4 and it worked fine.

I had considered Vortex, but since it is still Alpha, do you know if I can install Vortex independently of NMM ? I only want to try it to see if it fixes my FO4 problems.

1 hour ago, Candoo said:

I had considered Vortex, but since it is still Alpha, do you know if I can install Vortex independently of NMM ? I only want to try it to see if it fixes my FO4 problems.

From Nexus on installing Vortex:

"Because of the (now) archaic way that NMM handles files in the data folder, we recommend disabling any mods you have installed in NMM (or switching to an empty profile, that will in turn clear up any files NMM has placed in your game data folder) if your import to Vortex is successful. This is because Vortex and NMM both try to keep track of which files they've installed, and using multiple modding tools for the same game at the same time makes that difficult. If you need to revert back to NMM, you can simply disable Vortex and reapply your NMM profile to return your setup to how it was before.

As always, please backup your current modding setups in case the worst happens. Ensure you create a safe copy of your mod installations somewhere else so that you can restore from this backup in case of a problem, and ensure you know how to restore these backups properly before you attempt to use Vortex."

Basically this means copying your game folders: COMMON/Fallout4 and COMMON/Fallout 4, to new backup folders and copy DOCUMENTS/My Games/Fallout4 to a new backup folder. If everything goes sideways then restoring these three folders should put everything back to normal.

Otherwise, letting Vortex manage Fallout 4 is pretty straightforward. Gopher has a basic video on how to do this and is working on followup videos.

https://www.gophersvids.com/?storyboard_cat=vortex-tutorial

If you get into trouble or have questions someone here can probably help.

47 minutes ago, Cryzeteur said:

From Nexus on installing Vortex:

Basically this means copying your game folders: COMMON/Fallout4 and COMMON/Fallout 4, to new backup folders and copy DOCUMENTS/My Games/Fallout4 to a new backup folder. If everything goes sideways then restoring these three folders should put everything back to normal.

OK, but can I install it separately, meaning, can I keep NMM for managing Skyrim, and have Vortex as a completely SEPARATE mod manager (like Mod Organizer) for managing FO4 ? Will Vortex scrap/replace my NMM ?

Edited by Candoo
34 minutes ago, Candoo said:

AOK, but can I install it separately, meaning, can I keep NMM for managing Skyrim, and have Vortex as a completely SEPARATE mod manager (like Mod Organizer) for managing FO4 ? Will Vortex scrap/replace my NMM ?

Yes you can, but if you enable direct downloading of mods from Nexus to Vortex, then when you try to download to Fallout 4 it assumes you want to use Vortex AND then direct download the Skyrim it is still assuming you are using Vortex. So I suggest you do not use the direct download feature to Vortex.

You can still copy mods to your desktop and use either manager to download to the game manager (either Vortex or NMM)

Also FYI both NMM and Vortex use the game data folder, so you  can't use both at once for a single game..

Edited by Cryzeteur