Jump to content
Gopher's Minions

Fallout Settlement Like Games?


Recommended Posts

So far my favorite game component of all time has been fallout 4 settlements.  Yes they are very limited to lego buildings with almost no impact on the real world, but I still like it.  Are there any other building games out there that people know of that are similar, but the settlements have more of an impact to the game world?  Maybe what I'm looking for is future mods but I just wish Fallout 4 settlements were tied more into the game.  Say the final battle depends on how many settlements you have, and settlements build for specific purposes like recruiting soldiers, producing food, weapons or armor (kind of similar to mass effect 3 recruiting allies for the final battle).  Even just having more settlement quests with real impact, like not just unlock access to the settlement but limit to say 6 settlers before you run a mission to up that to 12 settlers.

Maybe a pipe dream, just feel like there could have been so much of a deeper game in settlements, without that much extra work, which kind of leaves me looking for what other games might have done more of what I wish was here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drethon said:

So far my favorite game component of all time has been fallout 4 settlements.  Yes they are very limited to lego buildings with almost no impact on the real world, but I still like it.  Are there any other building games out there that people know of that are similar, but the settlements have more of an impact to the game world?  Maybe what I'm looking for is future mods but I just wish Fallout 4 settlements were tied more into the game.  Say the final battle depends on how many settlements you have, and settlements build for specific purposes like recruiting soldiers, producing food, weapons or armor (kind of similar to mass effect 3 recruiting allies for the final battle).  Even just having more settlement quests with real impact, like not just unlock access to the settlement but limit to say 6 settlers before you run a mission to up that to 12 settlers.

Maybe a pipe dream, just feel like there could have been so much of a deeper game in settlements, without that much extra work, which kind of leaves me looking for what other games might have done more of what I wish was here.

I totally agree that Fallout 4 settlements should have been better integrated into the game. It would have been a lot more fun.

Of course many games are pure building... Minecraft, Survive Mars maybe...

The Forest integrates survival into the cannibal attack theme and your settlement of one person or co-players does affect the game. But that is not really a settlement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep wanting to get into Minecraft but I think it may just be too open and about as pointless as Fallout 4 settlements.  I think I like using the limitations of the fallout 4 settlements to make something cool, rather than just be able to combine anything.  I had noticed Survive Mars and may want to check that out.

I probably should look at the forest too.  While I tend to like games where it isn't just the player, I've been doing a lot of Factorio and enjoying that.  I think I'm looking for more like Rimworld, but I will look into your suggestions, thanks!

 

Edit: Watching Gopher's The Forest video, while I want a settlement where I manage the settlers, the building in this game looks pretty good and I think I will have to check it out.

Edited by Drethon
Link to post
Share on other sites

Surviving Mars is an excellent if difficult game as the lack of any real tutorial hurts first time players. I'd look up some guides and tips for new players. Colony management and resources. It's a game where you can really amp up the challenge and go for impossible situations. But on easier difficulties say under 150 it should be okay for beginners assuming you know a thing or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VATROU said:

Surviving Mars is an excellent if difficult game as the lack of any real tutorial hurts first time players. I'd look up some guides and tips for new players. Colony management and resources. It's a game where you can really amp up the challenge and go for impossible situations. But on easier difficulties say under 150 it should be okay for beginners assuming you know a thing or two.

Well, I agree with the above but also depends on what Missions you get.  My present game is 125% difficulty, but my mission is to get 200 Colonists before Sol 100 and I'm struggling.  Presently have 136, with another 26 on their way.  If I pick those that are left and willing to come to Mars, it would be 6 Idiots and 10 Tourists, which would make the total 178.  Since I am at Sol 88 as well, would mean the Colonists has to get VERY frisky with each other and get 22 Kids in 10 Sol's time  ! :P

More information in this thread, and Cryzeteur posted a good introduction series for the game as well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

Well, I agree with the above but also depends on what Missions you get.  My present game is 125% difficulty, but my mission is to get 200 Colonists before Sol 100 and I'm struggling.  Presently have 136, with another 26 on their way.  If I pick those that are left and willing to come to Mars, it would be 6 Idiots and 10 Tourists, which would make the total 178.  Since I am at Sol 88 as well, would mean the Colonists has to get VERY frisky with each other and get 22 Kids in 10 Sol's time  ! :P

More information in this thread, and Cryzeteur posted a good introduction series for the game as well.

 

I like this game but you have to do certain things in a specific order very carefully to survive. The strategy is very much like chess. You can do many different things but you have to play a good game or your colony will not make it. A beginner at chess would find themselves quickly in checkmate, and this game is the same. If you start out with no extra guidelines you will probably not be aware of something that will kill your colony. But this is very like the actual problem a real expedition to any planet would face. You are in a challenging environment with limited resources. You have to be vary alert. My strategy is to play on the slowest speed with numerous time stops to look at exactly what is happening and what possibilities are available. Especially at the start of the game. This gives you a chance to develop your strategies very carefully. It is not a game that favors inexperience or careless action.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...