Gopher's Minions
OutandBack

Gopher Rant: I don't like Save Stations!

Just watched this even if I was at the stream when it happened.  Still find it very amusing to listen to ! :P  And low how @Quarico is trying to keep herself from laughing out loud as Gopher is ranting on. gopherVaultStiv

BTW....  @Gopher What is you opinion on Save Stations please ??

Save Stations were a crappy annoyance back when Far Cry 2 came out.
Gopher is right, they break immersion and are just irritating.
Even checkpoints are better, and checkpoint games always have spots where they are way too far apart.

One of the worst examples I can think of was a DC heroes game (forget which), which opened with a double boss fight and there was no checkpoint between the two bosses. Grah!
And then there was a point in Force Unleashed II  where I kept having to do through a room with troopers, a room with 2 shock troopers and two heavy troopers, then a room with 5 heavy troopers and lots of small troopers and you had to get through all of those before the next checkpoint.
The amount of times I had to replay the first 2 rooms, aargh.

4 hours ago, jeancly said:
4 hours ago, Apocalypso said:

But.. maybe he just hasn't tried the good peanuts yet ?

I should send him a pack in his PO box xD 

DO IT ! 

Anyone who does that should leave their nickname attached. 

...so he knows whom to ban. 

20 minutes ago, Elhanan said:

As one that spams Quicksave more than most, I do not require a Save Station. But the only time I can recall seeing one is while watching an Alien Isolation LP.

Lots of save stations in Square Enix games.  :P

On 3/9/2018 at 4:17 AM, Elhanan said:

As one that spams Quicksave more than most, I do not require a Save Station. But the only time I can recall seeing one is while watching an Alien Isolation LP.

The Lego games have them, or had them, haven't played the last couple.  They made them funny, but they were still irritating.
Tomb Raider 2013 combined a single save slot station (campfires) with a checkpoint system. Have to say that my one complaint with the game was the lack of multiple save slot options, they are possible, but its a bit awkward. 

In theory it worked reasonably well, providing both hard and soft save points.  However you had to use the campfires to level up and craft so they remained unfixed.
I prefer games which allow for auto-save, quicksave and hard saves, Bethesda games for example, and DA:O.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:17 AM, Elhanan said:

I also spam the hell out of quick saves just because I don't want to do things over and over. That is the most flustrating think a game can do to me.

2 hours ago, OutandBack said:

I also spam the hell out of quick saves just because I don't want to do things over and over. That is the most flustrating think a game can do to me.

I have saved in Skyrim, talked to one individual and saved again. Every time I change my inventory I save. Many times when I start a new task I save. I suppose this amounts to spamming saves.  :P

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, Elhanan said:

I assumed "I do not require a save station" meant you do not play games with save stations. I have played a lot of games with save stations, like Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. Gopher is right about it being immersion breaking to have to run to a save station every time you want to quit playing. I assume Gopher is talking about bed saves in Fallout 4 survival mode. When I played FO4 Survival I did not change the mechanics of saves because peeps were saying sticking to the rules was fun. So I tried it and it turns FO4 into a totally different game. I sort of liked it once, but Gopher is right it is a pain and once is enough. :P

2 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I have saved in Skyrim, talked to one individual and saved again. Every time I change my inventory I save. Many times when I start a new task I save. I suppose this amounts to spamming saves.  :P

I assumed "I do not require a save station" meant you do not play games with save stations. I have played a lot of games with save stations, like Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. Gopher is right about it being immersion breaking to have to run to a save station every time you want to quit playing. I assume Gopher is talking about bed saves in Fallout 4 survival mode. When I played FO4 Survival I did not change the mechanics of saves because peeps were saying sticking to the rules was fun. So I tried it and it turns FO4 into a totally different game. I sort of liked it once, but Gopher is right it is a pain and once is enough. :P

Sleep saving in FO4 was aggravation on so many levels. I wouldn't have minded if it was optional. Hard saves, auto saves and quicksaves should never be disabled in any game. No they shouldn't.

main reason I'm staying away from Kingdom Come: Deliverance for the moment is the limited save system.  If they implement save on demand in a future patch I'll probably pick it up, if not, gonna pass, despite how interesting the concept of a realistic medieval  rpg sounds.

2 hours ago, Morrandir said:

main reason I'm staying away from Kingdom Come: Deliverance for the moment is the limited save system.  If they implement save on demand in a future patch I'll probably pick it up, if not, gonna pass, despite how interesting the concept of a realistic medieval  rpg sounds.

They just had a patch drop on Friday, that had among other things also this:

The game now has Save and Exit feature.
Saving is much more robust and saves won't get corrupted even if the game crashes while saving.

It's like an emergency save though.   Incase you don't have time to find a bed, you can quit the game, then when you restart you are where you quit, but the save gets deleted.  So if you were to die 5 min later, you reload at your last hard save/schnapps location.

29 minutes ago, Cryzeteur said:

I think his children play Nintendo games... He does not.  ;)

I know. I just know he would break a controller if he played Metroid on a console with the save stations. Just thinking about it makes me laugh cause he would have to explain why he broke his kids Nintendo controller. 

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:28 PM, Master Cire said:

I know. I just know he would break a controller if he played Metroid on a console with the save stations. Just thinking about it makes me laugh cause he would have to explain why he broke his kids Nintendo controller. 

I don't know why he hates standard controllers so much... His controller is so complicated that he can't remember what it does... :lol:

Edited by Cryzeteur

Just now, Cryzeteur said:

I don't know why he hates standard controllers so much... His controller is so complicated that he can't remember what it does... :lol:

I play with mouse, keyboard, and controller. I am actually playing with the controller but revert to the mouse or keyboard just for certain things. Probably most people would think my way is worse than Gopher's but I never have the problem of forgetting what the "K" key is.

1 hour ago, Cryzeteur said:

Pretty sure that he forgets only when he hasn't played the game, or used that function, for a while.  Just like when you come back to a game it takes you a little time to get used to the controls again, except in this case, the keys it shows aren't labelled the way they are on the controller itself.  Assuming there are any labels left on it after so many years of use.