Gopher's Minions
Ilja

Playing around game updates

Updates to game executable has caused some amount of confusion among players. We have been replying to posts in several forums. I ended up typing replies to Minions as well.

It was pointed out for me that not all Minions are in Discord, or visit community threads in Steam. I saw it best to store these instructions here as well.

How to delay Fallout 4 update in Steam
This method requires Fallout 4 Script Extender (F4SE). Most people who want to delay game updates are the ones using F4SE, due to version check being incompatible with game runtime changes. Note that change should be in place before update comes online. If you want to delay future updates until F4SE + plugins catches up with them, then best time to do this is right now.

• Steam Library view: right click Fallout 4.
  • Properties > Updates > Update
  • Change to: Only update this game when I launch it.

Launching the game through F4SE launcher does not cause the update.

How to backup Fallout4 executable
This should be done, in case Steam forces the update anyway.

Most simple method is to copy the file in your ...SteamApps\common\Fallout 4 folder. Then paste it to a folder outside of this folder.

Other option is to use following F4SE plugin from CDante, which will automatically backup the executable to set folder. See instructions from the page.

Fallout4.exe Auto-Backup by CDante
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26956

3 hours ago, Silverthorn1111 said:

Still playing with version 1.9.4 :P

Stable game with hundreds of mods --> Never update again :lol:

There is no point in updating unless you start a new game with new mods... even then the need is questionable.

Some mod authors do require up to date F4SE, based on changes made to it.

However, recent F4SE updates have been just runtime updates. xSE Discord server is active, but apparently there haven't been new feature RCs for some time.

My own game is up to date with runtime, F4SE and mod versions. I have to keep it that way, or I will drop out from conversation and become yet another useless middle-aged geek, with nothing to say. :P

(Actually, our middle-aged and retired geeks in forums and Coffee Room threads have most to say.)

14 hours ago, Ilja said:

Some mod authors do require up to date F4SE, based on changes made to it.

However, recent F4SE updates have been just runtime updates. xSE Discord server is active, but apparently there haven't been new feature RCs for some time.

My own game is up to date with runtime, F4SE and mod versions. I have to keep it that way, or I will drop out from conversation and become yet another useless middle-aged geek, with nothing to say. :P

(Actually, our middle-aged and retired geeks in forums and Coffee Room threads have most to say.)

Yes, it is best to keep F4SE up to date.