Gopher's Minions

Gopher's Skyrim SE Plans : Update

Clothing and Armor for a thief? I am playing a thief so here is what I chose:

Cloaks of Skyrim -  https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6369

Fully Improvable Nightingale Armor - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5289

PDAF - Pick Default Follower Armor SSE_v3 - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/9704

RUSTIC CLOTHING - Special Edition -  https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4703

Leather armor with pants for male character - https://rd.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14261

For Weapons:

LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Weapons SE - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2017

Silent Nightingale and Nord Hero bows - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2889

Kthonia's Unique Weapon Pack - Dragonborn Weapons - https://rd.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15050

Here's my suggestions. I will include mods ported by me and/or modified/fixed by me, some of them not available on the nexus but I will share with Gopher is he asks (all oldrim links are to be considered ported/fixed by me and so available to be shared).

Weapons:

- JaySuS Swords (my ported and fixed version): tons of new and lore-friendly weapons added to the levelled list. Get them from NPCs, vendors, craft them and look for unique weapons in dungeons and other places.
- Unique Uniques: make unique weapons really unique.
- Lore Weapon Expansion:  as the name say. Craft, buy or loot them.

Armors:

- Warmonger Armory (my ported and modified version): this mod has the two best thief armors I have ever seen. Craft them or loot them from bandits.
- Immersive Armors Redux (my ported and modified version): it's almost the same as Immersive Armors, but I removed all scripts and edits to NPCs, I also removed lots of recepies so the armors aren't all craftable and some of them are even removed from the mod, but most of them will still appear on bandits and vendors. It's a redux version of Immersive Armors I made for compatibility reasons and because the original is way too heavy.
- B-D-Y-E-B Shield (my ported and modified version): lore-friendly shields.
- Rough Leather Armor (my ported version): cool thief armor.
- Better Leather Armor (my ported version): my ported version will replacer the vanilla leather armor. So much better.

Followers:

- Interesting NPCs: the SSE version can be downloaded here. Tons of unique voiced NPCs, followers and quests! All the quests are amazing and lore-friednly and I'm sure you will find your new companion for your thief character here. To find all the quests, just ask the innkeepers about rumors. I can't raccomand playing this mod enough, it's my favorite.
- Two Handed Grimsever for Mjoll (personal mod). Mjoll is supposed to be using two handed weapons but her Grimsever weapon is a one-handed sword? Why? Well, no more!
- TM Housecarls: better Housecarls, ported by me with permission.
- Arissa - The Wandering Rogue: a thief follower, I could port it for you if you want.

NPCs:

- WICO (my fixed and modified version): I beg you Gopher, don't make us watch a let's play with vanilla ugly NPCs... Install this mod!
- Open Face Guard Helmets: make eye contact with the guards.
- RS Children Overhaul: no more potato head creepy children. Unique characters with a personality!
- Guards Gut Fix (my ported version): no more fat guards and stormcloaks.
- My Imperial Legion Overhaul: I will post screenshots if interested.

Vanilla Places:

- Opulent Thieves Guild: better ragged flagon.
- Skyhaven Modified: it's a optional and standalone file, it makes the Skyhaven temple more useful and more pleasant, but still lore-friendly.
- Farmhouse Chimneys: you didn't notice eh? Houses don't have chimneys outside, but only inside. This mod will fix that.
- Cooking in Taverns: minor edits to taverns, it will allow you to cook food.

Quality of life:

- Equipment HUD: quick and elegant way to switch between shouts, powers and spells through hotkeys and circles.
- Five O'Clock Shadow (my ported version): let your beard grow over time! Shave it, trim it or mantein its style by clicking on the razor in your inventory!
- Animated Eating Redux: see the people of Skyrim, your followers and yourself eat more than bread! Sweetrolls!!
- Visible Favorited Gear: see your weapons, works perfectly. I play with dagger position moved to my back and with this mod I can always see my dagger on my back even when I'm using a sword.
- Khajiit Merchants Buy Stolen Items (my ported version): since you will play a thief.
- Colovian Noble Clothes - Replacer for Quest Outfits: my mod. Look unique during two vanilla quests.
- Real Feeding: be a good werewolf and finish your meals, people in Morrowind are starving.
- Better Fast Travel - Carriages and Ships - Overhauled (my ported version): carriages in all holds, towns and villages. Basically just an extended vanilla carriage system.
- INeed: eat, drink, sleep and poop! Well not the last one. Also hotkeys to eat and drink, so no need to open the menu. And your follower will eat as well.

HD Textures:
- Rustic Clothing: HD clothes.
- aMidianBorn Book of Silence (my ported version): HD armors and weapons.
- My HD everything!! I have a 4gb archive of 2k textures from different mods I made because this part of modding Skyrim when reinstalling the game was a nightmare. The archive is SMIM compatible and includes almost all vanilla textures replaced except characters, creatures, clothes, armors and weapons. I can share screenshots if you want to take a look. Way better than vanilla.

Weathers:

- Vivid Weathers Definitive Edition: you don't need ENBs to make SSE look amazing. I love this weather and lighting mod.

Quests:

- The Gray Cowl of Nocturnal: of course if you play a thief character, but install later in the game. Does have a HD pack downloadable here.

For last, I recommend the Skyrim Uncapper to set two perks for level if using Ordinator (or 1.5 to have 1 extra perk each two levels). I also ported Dual Sheath Redux, but it requires 1 extra step when settings things up (no big deal).

This is the best thief armor for Skyrim in my opinion (there is a male version of course):
https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/110/images/50459-1-1390942309.jpg

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/110/images/50459-3-1502827853.jpg

Edited by Eferas
Corrections.

(I recon that things like Frostfall, Campfire, iNeed, Live Another Life, moreHUD, Footprints, Bandolier and Winter is Coming fall under a similar "well, duh" category as SkyUI, so let's not waste our time with stuff you already know all about)

Distinct Interiors is from the same person that made Opulent Thieves Guild and alters inns, shops, guild halls and other interior spaces. The guild hall modular esp has a slightly different, slightly less opulent take on the Ragged Flaggon, for those of us that aren't as much into posh ceiling tapestries. You can absolutely mod only the Ragged Flaggon and leave all the other guild halls alone if you want.

Hidden Hideouts of Skyrim City Edition is for the careful thieving character who doesn't want to draw attention by sleeping at inns or buying houses. Simple rooming in hidden alcoves and sewers, optionally already furnished or populated by critters that need clearing out first.

On the other end of the player home spectrum, Rayeks End is still conveniently hidden but also decked out in every luxury an ambitious character could possibly wish for.

Plan on mixing some magic with your thieving? Apocalypse and Summermyst from the same author as Ordinator give you a ton of new options for spells and enchantments.

Plan on staying away from magic? Dual Wield Blocking for Idiots does work with a spell in your off-hand but works even better if you're actually dual wielding blades, and Smithing Oils uses a Witcher-esque oil system crafted at the forge so you don't have to grind through three different crafting skills just to access decent poison and elemental damage.

Two mods that pair well with Immersive Citizens: Immersive Patrols puts some more people on the roads, like traveling merchants, hold guards, small companies from either civil war faction or some more Thalmor to gleefully murder. It also puts medium sized battles inside roadside forts' courtyards, so the civil war feels a little bit more like it's actually happening without getting in the way. Holidays by isoku is always a nice way to make the NPCs feel more like people. Who doesn't like to decorate their porch with pumpkins in the fall or get blindingly drunk in public on New Year's eve?

Finally, the best Armor packs around are still Immersive Armors and Warmonger Armory, but there's a couple armors that you might like in Legendary Armor Conversions and Recolors as well as some nice Witcher conversions in the Apachii Divine Elegance Store.

16 hours ago, Eferas said:

Here's my suggestions. I will include mods ported by me and/or modified/fixed by me, some of them not available on the nexus but I will share with Gopher is he asks (all oldrim links are to be considered ported/fixed by me and so available to be shared).

This is an excellent list. I am actually running most of this list or have used them before. Things like WICO are really good. I recommended some of the NPC and Companion mods on the previous mod request by Gopher. I did not recommend mods that were general improvements like RS Children, weathers and landscapes because Gopher should be aware of them. He previously requested recommendations for texture and LOD mods and I think tried them. There are a half dozen Immersive mods that I always use. Some mods are more specific for classes other than thief and I did not recommend them. I also did not recommend any crafting or alchemy mods because Gopher will probably avoid crafting and alchemy.

Nevertheless, Thank you for the excellent suggestions.

Curiously, your modding is some of the best available. I also do a lot of personal mods which I do not post. :)

For players using this list: Warmonger Armory,  Khajiit Merchants Buy Stolen Items  and Arissa - The Wandering Rogue are not ported over so you can install them manually but automatic installation does not work as they are not SE mods. I did not download all of these mods as I already had most of them so there may be a couple more that need porting. Porting mods usually works without problems unless they use unsupported scripts.

BTW I am currently running 112 mods (153 active plugins)

Also, note that if you want to run the merged form of Farmhouse Chimneys you will have to download 11 additional mods. 

Edited by Cryzeteur
5 hours ago, luthienmpl said:

(I recon that things like Frostfall, Campfire, iNeed, Live Another Life, moreHUD, Footprints, Bandolier and Winter is Coming fall under a similar "well, duh" category as SkyUI, so let's not waste our time with stuff you already know all about)

Distinct Interiors and Hidden Hideouts of Skyrim City Edition are good suggestions. I have not tried them but will install them.

Rayeks End is so luxurious it would depend on the type of thief Gopher plays. If he likes luxury there are many luxury houses.

Dual Wield Blocking for Idiots is good for the more violent thief but I suspect Gopher intends to do a lot of sneaking. So, I don't know if he wants dual wielding.

Immersive Patrols  and Holidays are good background feel mods that I use.

Warmonger Armory, and  Legendary Armor Conversions and Recolors  I also use and they do have a couple of nice thief armors.

BTW Gopher... It would really be nice if you would do a How To video showing us how you set up Skyrim SE and install  all your tricky mods (HUD, LOD, etc...) and maybe briefly review why you chose the thief specific mods. 

You could call it "Being a Thief in Skyrim SE."

Edited by Cryzeteur

Been browsing through some SSE mods and although I am sure Gopher most likely already have them i thought I post them anyway, incase anyone else find them interesting.

The Choice Is Yours by kryptopyr - Pretty sure this is already in Gopher's mod list, it is a sure one for myself anyway.

All Thieves Guild Jobs Concurrently by 8Phantasm - Not sure about Gopher but personally if I would do the thiefs quest line I have this one, or it would take ages and lots of running around.

Carriage Stops of Skyrim by angryglock - Seems a good mod if you don't want to use fast travel, although no "carriage" that is standing around like the original ones (which still works) it still a good option I think.  Plus we know Gopher not to fond of Fast Travel so this could be a good option for him.

Accurate and Realistic Fast Travel Time by KatArus  - For more "immersion" :P

Better Player Combat Expression by fadingsignal - Saw this and bookmarked it instantly, probably will be using it once I get around doing a a SSE playthrough.  Plus we know Gopher like to be, well, surprised. :P

Immersive Spetims and Lockpicks by lostorn99 - Adds weight to the coinage, so no 500,000 septim to be carried around.  :P  Also, makes pickpocketing a bit harder, since the NCP's will notice if their heavy purse is getting lifted. Shocker that ! :o  .. Seems to be a small problem with the lockpick weight though, if using the Survival Mode, seems it been hardcoded for lockpicks to have no weight ??  Link to thread on nexus about it.

That's about it for now, maybe kryptopyr might be able to get their Thiefs Guild Requierment's (Normal Skyrim mod) mod ported by the time Gopher starts, then that would be another one I would recommend.

OK I tried porting over the old Skyrimm mods mentioned above and they all work fine except Arissa - The Wandering Rogue  which cannot be ported directly over. The game freezes on loading.

I did port over Thiefs Guild Requierment's and tried it in game. Brynjolf ignored me when I first went up to him even though I have stolen items worth several hundred gold and picked two pockets and got caught and had to pay a 37 gold fine. So I think it is working. Have to see if it triggers Brynjolf when I am a better thief.

BTW I am running RS Children and alternate start ... so I started as a beggar child in Riften. And I got Inigo as my companion.

Edited by Cryzeteur
On 2/7/2018 at 2:26 AM, Eferas said:

Followers:

- Interesting NPCs: the SSE version can be downloaded here. Tons of unique voiced NPCs, followers and quests! All the quests are amazing and lore-friednly and I'm sure you will find your new companion for your thief character here. To find all the quests, just ask the innkeepers about rumors. I can't raccomand playing this mod enough, it's my favorite.

Just saw this.  Is the version you download from 3dnpc fully compatible with SSE now ??  Been a while since I was at their website but from what I could see, the threads about it there don't seem to have any updates since I read them last year.  So just curious, since there was some small problem to get it converted to SSE at that point.  Hopefully it is fully working because it be in my load order for sure then, loved it in Vanilla Skyrim. gopherVaultStiv

24 minutes ago, Beuwolf said:

Just saw this.  Is the version you download from 3dnpc fully compatible with SSE now ??  Been a while since I was at their website but from what I could see, the threads about it there don't seem to have any updates since I read them last year.  So just curious, since there was some small problem to get it converted to SSE at that point.  Hopefully it is fully working because it be in my load order for sure then, loved it in Vanilla Skyrim. gopherVaultStiv

Yes it's fully working, also re-saved in the correct 44 version for SSE. Also remember to download the Dawnguard Vampire Fix patch from the same site, because it isn't included in the main download. Otherwise the two vampire characters will have black faces.

2 minutes ago, Eferas said:

Yes it's fully working, also re-saved in the correct 44 version for SSE. Also remember to download the Dawnguard Vampire Fix patch from the same site, because it isn't included in the main download. Otherwise the two vampire characters will have black faces.

Re-saved in the correct 44 version ??  The version to download is SSE 3.42.7 ?   Or you referring to something else ?

And thanks for pointing out about the Vampire Fix, just downloaded it and put it in the folder for INPC's.  gopherVaultStiv

8 minutes ago, Beuwolf said:

Re-saved in the correct 44 version ??  The version to download is SSE 3.42.7 ?   Or you referring to something else ?

And thanks for pointing out about the Vampire Fix, just downloaded it and put it in the folder for INPC's.  gopherVaultStiv

Oldrim mods are 43 version, SSE mods are 44 version. Or format, the power of english may be failing me. You can always check if a mod is correctly ported by looking at its version in xedit.

2 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

OK I tried porting over the old Skyrimm mods mentioned above and they all work fine except Arissa - The Wandering Rogue  which cannot be ported directly over. The game freezes on loading.

Did you extract the files from the bsa archive? Oldrim archives don't work on SSE. Also did you re-save the mod in the CK64 to properly convert it and update its scripts? Last thing, did you run nifoptimizer on the mod meshes? If you do all those things, the mod will work.

3 minutes ago, Eferas said:

Oldrim mods are 43 version, SSE mods are 44 version. Or format, the power of english may be failing me. You can always check if a mod is correctly ported by looking at its version in xedit.

Color me slightly confused.  Downloaded it from 3dnpc's website, the drop down menu showing SSE - Interesting NPCs v3.4.2 Beta ... But the file I got says Interesting NPCs SSE 3.42.7.

Although I wont be installing anything for a while, first Vortex has to be available and then I also need to find time to do it as well.  Was just curious if it was working for SSE since last I read about it (although that was last year so a while ago) was that the author had problem merging it to SSE.  I do appreciate your information and replies. gopherVaultStiv

9 minutes ago, Beuwolf said:

Color me slightly confused.  Downloaded it from 3dnpc's website, the drop down menu showing SSE - Interesting NPCs v3.4.2 Beta ... But the file I got says Interesting NPCs SSE 3.42.7.

Although I wont be installing anything for a while, first Vortex has to be available and then I also need to find time to do it as well.  Was just curious if it was working for SSE since last I read about it (although that was last year so a while ago) was that the author had problem merging it to SSE.  I do appreciate your information and replies. gopherVaultStiv

So, that 3.42.7 is the mod version, like Interesting NPCs version 3.42.7, meaning the author worked on version 1.00 then 1.2 then 2.00 then 3.5 etc etc. This numbers have nothing to do with the 43 and 44 format version I was talking about. 43 format is the format of all Oldrim plugins (the esp file a mod usually has) while 44 is the format of SSE plugins, but these numbers have nothing to do with a mod version (1.00, or 2.00 or 3.42.7 etc). You can check if a mod from oldrim is correctly ported to SSE by loading its esp plugin into xEDIT, there will be a string named VERSION and you can check if it says 43 or 44. Better now? :)

EDIT: yes the author fixed the problems he had about porting and I can confirm the mod works perfectly, since I played myself almost all of its quests and talked to almost all its NPCs by now.

Edited by Eferas
4 minutes ago, Eferas said:

So, that 3.42.7 is the mod version, like Interesting NPCs version 3.42.7, meaning the author worked on version 1.00 then 1.2 then 2.00 then 3.5 etc etc. This numbers have nothing to do with the 43 and 44 format version I was talking about. 43 format is the format of all Oldrim plugins (the esp file a mod usually has) while 44 is the format of SSE plugins, but these numbers have nothing to do with a mod version (1.00, or 2.00 or 3.42.7 etc). You can check if a mod from oldrim is correctly ported to SSE by loading its esp plugin into xEDIT, there will be a string named VERSION and you can check if it says 43 or 44. Better now? :)

EDIT: yes the author fixed the problems he had about porting and I can confirm the mod works perfectly, since I played myself almost all of its quests and talked to almost all its NPCs by now.

Ahh that would explain why I got confused.  Ages ago I used TES5Edit I think it was called, just fiddling with some values, think it was making potions and plants weightless since I had a mod that did some but not all, but that was long time ago, can't even find the program right now after a quick look.  So yeah, I usual just download the mods, install them and play.  Don't do much fiddling around with them myself. :huh:

At least that's sorted now and I understand what you were referring too, thanks again !  gopherVaultStiv

1 hour ago, luthienmpl said:

As far as I know Kris's problem wasn't the esp but saving the bsa archive, that's why the alpha version for SSE had loose files. I actually started playing with that loose files version in the early days of SSE and never had any problem with it. 

No, he had problems saving the esp in the ck64, action necessary to convert the plugin to SSE format. It kept crashing, but then he fixed the problem and managed to save it. The problem with loose files is because SSE archive method is different and the mod is simply too big. I managed to archive the whole thing into 4 different archives, but later in the game it gave me problems so I returned to loose files. Doesn't look like it will be archived any time soon, but I'm playing with this mod loose files for a long time now and I can say it doesn't slow down loading at all. The alpha version is because the mod is so big, with all that quests and voiced dialogues, that there is no way for Kris to test the whole thing, so it's called an alpha until enough people report they played the whole thing without problems (which may be just me, did I say the mod is really huge? xD).

Edited by Eferas
4 hours ago, Eferas said:

Did you extract the files from the bsa archive? Oldrim archives don't work on SSE. Also did you re-save the mod in the CK64 to properly convert it and update its scripts? Last thing, did you run nifoptimizer on the mod meshes? If you do all those things, the mod will work.

Actually I know how to convert mods over, but I don't want to recommend anything harder than a direct port for the non-modders here. 

For my own PT I am using Inigo and two Sassy Girls. I have played using Arissa in Old-Skyrim so I am familiar with the mod.

6 hours ago, Eferas said:

I am using Interesting NPCs and it works fine. No problems.

• 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, yamla5abi said:

can you port arissa the wandering rogue to see

If you are asking Gopher to port Arissa over to SkyrimSE, he does not do that kind of thing.

However, it already has been ported:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/19441

If you are asking Gopher to use it... well... this is a very old video and Gopher has already played through to chapter 6 so I doubt he would add Arissa at this point. Besides he is having fun with Inigo.