Gopher's Minions
OutandBack

The price of new video cards and bitcoin!?!

Anyone heard the rumor that bitcoin investors are buying high end video cards with their bitcoins as an investment and this has caused the price of video card to nearly double in the last 5 years?

I've been wanting to buy/ upgrade to a GTX 1080 but there really hasn't been any new games worthly of a new video card right now and if it is true that bitcoin investers are artificially bumping the price well hell they can just keep them for now. It's going to take a new ES, W3 lvl game to get me to open my wallet.

A year ago I went in to buy a 1080 and got home to find it was a 980... Got upset... looked at the box and it was my own mistake. Well it was cheap ($300) and it upgraded my old 970 so I kept it. 980 seems to be really all you need for current games.

50 minutes ago, Cryzeteur said:

980 seems to be really all you need for current games.

Amen...   the GTX 980 Ti  I have runs all games that I have at max setting with no problems.  Skyrim SE, Fallout 4 no problems,  (note I do turn down God Rays in FO4)  looking at the spec for the next 2 investments (games) I plan to get  Cyberpunk 2077  and  Metro Exodus

PC System Analysis for Cyberpunk 2077  (Game Debate Predicted Requirements )

We expect the system specs to sky high for Cyberpunk 2077. Utilising an adapted Witcher 3's, Red Engine 3 graphics engine, the recommended requirements will likely include an Intel i7 CPU or top end AMD Zen processor. The GPU needed to achieve reliable frame rates at 1080p screen resolution for Cyberpunk 2077 will be around the GTX 980 mark or a top end AMD Radeon. Bare in mind it will release in a few years time. 16GB system memory will also be the normal recommended requirement for Cyberpunk. with 8GB RAM being a minimum.

Metro Exodus

(Game Debate Predicted Requirements )   GTX 670/1060

Well I know the prices has gone up in allot of countries cause of crypto currency like bitcoin and etherium have rocket prices in the US at least, here in Denmark prices seems to be unaffected other than Nvidia charging more than they used to 4-5 years ago cause lack of competetion from AMD. With Titan V coming out we can expect new GPUs from Nvidia sometime before the end of the summer tho I'm worried how much they gonna charge for those :(

14 hours ago, Flyddon said:

Amen...   the GTX 980 Ti  I have runs all games that I have at max setting with no problems.  Skyrim SE, Fallout 4 no problems,  (note I do turn down God Rays in FO4)  looking at the spec for the next 2 investments (games) I plan to get  Cyberpunk 2077  and  Metro Exodus

We expect the system specs to sky high for Cyberpunk 2077. Utilising an adapted Witcher 3's, Red Engine 3 graphics engine, the recommended requirements will likely include an Intel i7 CPU or top end AMD Zen processor. The GPU needed to achieve reliable frame rates at 1080p screen resolution for Cyberpunk 2077 will be around the GTX 980 mark or a top end AMD Radeon. Bare in mind it will release in a few years time. 16GB system memory will also be the normal recommended requirement for Cyberpunk. with 8GB RAM being a minimum.

Metro Exodus

They probably underestimated these specs because the new engine is Red Engine 4. It supposedly uses a lot more memory on high settings and lags on ordinary HDs. Expect to play on PC using SSD and 32 GB RAM. No idea what the video card requirements will be. GTX1180? It may require a new motherboard at highest settings. Remember that Cyberpunk 2077 is a living world... everything is constantly changing...  The new AI is also memory demanding...

Edited by Cryzeteur

20 hours ago, Flyddon said:

Metro Exodus

Well, I found with a few tweaks witcher 3 played excellently on my rather older gtx-680 and now 680-670 SLi (it's a driver mod that allows it) My CPU is a i7 and despite being only a 3820 (soft lock of 4.3ghz) it performs extremely well. The Witcher 3 engine is very very well optimized it renders only what the player can see; there are a few vids on CDPR's site/YT about the world design that facilitates that.

12 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

Remember that Cyberpunk 2077 is a living world... everything is constantly changing...  The new AI is also memory demanding...

Yes  I have heard this, of course I have also heard  with a 1200 watt PSU and running Cyberpunk 2077 you will be able to cook an egg on your PC in under 2 minutes!:lol:   I can't wait until we get some hard info from the developers on this game, I am beginning to think CP2077 may be my holdover game until ES6.

I have already drafted my first dear Santa letter.

I think demand in general has probably pushed up the prices, but I imagine crypto investors are definitely playing abig part in that.

But I agree wit some of the other comments here, I used to have the GTX 660 TI and most games ran solidly, but there was a hardware malfunction so I upgraded to the 1080. It does feel a bit like overkill at the moment, but good to know I should be able to run the next TES when it comes out at some point this century. 

On 1/22/2018 at 9:55 AM, jeancly said:

yeah lots of YT channels talk about it, the GPU prices are skyrocketing because of bitcoins

Cyrptocurrency yes Bitcoin NOT at all considering you need a dedicated ASIC box for that to make anything. Its other currencies that have shot the prices of GPUS up and with the increase prices of RAM its a bit of a terrible time to build or even upgrade your desktops. Only way t get them for chepaer is to actually buy a prebuilt from places like Lenovo/Dell/HP/Alienware and what not.