Gopher's Minions
FMPhoenixHawk

Multiple installs of Fallout 4?

Hey, can you have multiple installs of Fallout 4 on one system?  I want to try some of the giant conversion mods (Frost, for example) without having to remove all or many of my mods that might cause a problem with it.

Yes. You must set up a new installation by hiding your old installation. Gopher explains how to do this when installing Enderal. He explains how to rename your old files so the system can't see them and how to restore them when you want to return to the old version.

https://www.gophersvids.com/?gopher_storyboard=enderal-installation

It doesn't matter whether you are doing this for Skyrim or Fallout the procedure is the same.

Basically you have to rename both the Steam Library/Steam Apps/common/Fallout 4 folder and the C:/Documents/My Games/Fallout 4 folder. If you have a Steam Library/Steam Apps/common/Fallout4 folder, that has to be renamed as well. I usually prefix these folders with something like "Old".

Steam Library/Steam Apps/common/OldFallout 4

Steam Library/Steam Apps/common/OldFallout4

C:/Documents/My Games/OldFallout 4

You must change the names before reinstalling. 

Reinstall and add the mod such as Frost.

When you restore the folders you can either delete the new changed folders or rename them with a prefix, like "Frost".

Then restore the names on the Old folders by removing the prefix. The game should run as though nothing had happened.

Very rarely your system may get confused and get the pointer set to the wrong folder. If that happens you will have to delete the version you don't want to get the pointer reset.

Edited by Cryzeteur

I am a bit late, but Mod Organizer 2.1.1 is now viable for modding tool for Fallout 4. Profiles are isolated from each other.

There really is not need for multiply installations of FO4, now that MO2 series has a proper release.

19 hours ago, Ilja said:

I am a bit late, but Mod Organizer 2.1.1 is now viable for modding tool for Fallout 4. Profiles are isolated from each other.

There really is not need for multiply installations of FO4, now that MO2 series has a proper release.

Is Mod Organizer 2.1.1 really powerful enough to run a complete overhaul like Frost and still keep your heavily modded FO4? I don't think Nexus Mod Manager can do that.

8 minutes ago, OutandBack said:

Is Mod Organizer 2.1.1 really powerful enough to run a complete overhaul like Frost and still keep your heavily modded FO4? I don't think Nexus Mod Manager can do that.

Mod Organizer has always been more powerful than Nexus Mod Manager and has always been able to handle very large mods better. That does not mean it could handle Frost. I will be interested to hear about this.

I ran my whole Skyrim game and massive overhauls with old MO. MO2.1.1. still has few issues to get ironed out, but I have around 100 hours behind me with that right now. I haven't found any actual issues - except that BodySlide BatchBuild (if being used) needs to be pointed to proper folder (CTRL when clicking Batch Build). Otherwise it will generate content to mod folder.

There are two actual problems, which do not affect all players.

• I strongly advice against using instance version. Otherwise MO2 will set it's shop under AppData and manages files from there. This can cause a big issues and I advice against that.
  • On the other hand, some users have reported problems with applications, when MO2 is installed as portable version (which I recommend using). I haven't confirmed any of these cases, but developer team has. They are poking around the problem.

In these cases, developer messages and forum hand messages can give conflicting instructions. MO2 players in Coffee Shelter are all running MO2.1.1 as portable and from game folder, which is actually against dev instructions, but it works for us and is aligned with the usual modding instructions.

Hopefully that mad some sense. It is easy to test this out, by installing portable version of MO2 and setting up applications for it. If everything acts as it should, then you are not among the minority of players having those issues.

MO itself is very powerful. I would worry about it being able to run something like Frost, if NMM can. As Cryzeteur said, MO has always been a lot more powerful than MMM. I have not played with Frost myself, but quick look didn't give me any reason to suspect that it would have issues with Mod Organizer.

I am happy to help, if you have any questions or issues related to MO2. I was among people testing release versions and I am currently setting up Skyrim Special Edition to test new usvfs for MO2.

Edited by Ilja