Gopher's Minions
OutandBack

V.A.T.S. Barry is 'Godmode Barry'

I'm a little worried that Gopher's desire to do an "immersive" Let's Play for Barry is going to hurt a little bit of the charm that he had as a stream character. He only did it as a stream, and only did it using VATS, because of the mechanical issues he was having using and aiming with a controller. And while it may have been relatively easy because of VATS, the bit of clunkiness that came with him struggling slightly with the controller, and also trying to interact with the Twitch chat off-and-on, made it okay that Barry was fairly OP in combat because he was slightly clumsy otherwise. Barry's playthrough was never really geared towards being an "immersive" experience like Frank's is/was, but Gopher's trying to turn it into one and I'm not sure it'll work that well and still feel like Barry.

This is not to say he shouldn't do it if that is what he'd prefer to do (plus it's probably easier for him to record a regular Let's Play like he's more used to than to try and stream it), and I'm going to watch it regardless. I'm just curious to see how the transition goes.

If Barry takes Gun-Fu perk at 50 ( I think he was planning to ) VAFS he'll still have god mode I think .. could be wrong there.

I think something else to consider is; how much of Barry's flippant attitude came from not worrying about combat ?

Edited by Caloss2

I feel like that's going to be a part of it, too. Barry never seemed like the type who would be out there risking his life if he actually felt like he was risking his life. He always seemed to have the attitude of something like... "I don't know what the fuss is about, all these <insert baddie here> you guys are always on about are push-overs. You guys must really suck." And if Barry suddenly starts having a difficult time with combat because Gopher doesn't want his playthrough to be just a cakewalk (which, in fairness, is understandable), I don't feel like Barry would have the same "Wow, you guys all suck at this whole post-apocalypse thing." attitude towards everything. lol

13 hours ago, Sup3rNo7a said:

I'm a little worried that Gopher's desire to do an "immersive" Let's Play for Barry is going to hurt a little bit of the charm that he had as a stream character. He only did it as a stream, and only did it using VATS, because of the mechanical issues he was having using and aiming with a controller. And while it may have been relatively easy because of VATS, the bit of clunkiness that came with him struggling slightly with the controller, and also trying to interact with the Twitch chat off-and-on, made it okay that Barry was fairly OP in combat because he was slightly clumsy otherwise. Barry's playthrough was never really geared towards being an "immersive" experience like Frank's is/was, but Gopher's trying to turn it into one and I'm not sure it'll work that well and still feel like Barry.

This is not to say he shouldn't do it if that is what he'd prefer to do (plus it's probably easier for him to record a regular Let's Play like he's more used to than to try and stream it), and I'm going to watch it regardless. I'm just curious to see how the transition goes.

There is no way to turn time backwards. Gopher then is not Gopher now. He has changed and Barry has changed. The reason I endorse the VATS-modded build is because Barry was not overpowered before he got Kellog's pistol, so it seemed sort of the same. Running on a console is a silly thing to do. The stream comments did not improve Barry.

7 hours ago, Caloss2 said:

If Barry takes Gun-Fu perk at 50 ( I think he was planning to ) VAFS he'll still have god mode I think .. could be wrong there.

I think something else to consider is; how much of Barry's flippant attitude came from not worrying about combat ?

You are correct but Gopher could always use the mods to make it a little less god mode. Barry is not about god mode anyway. Barry is about ATTITUDE in a potato. Barry is a potato.

33 minutes ago, Sup3rNo7a said:

I feel like that's going to be a part of it, too. Barry never seemed like the type who would be out there risking his life if he actually felt like he was risking his life. He always seemed to have the attitude of something like... "I don't know what the fuss is about, all these <insert baddie here> you guys are always on about are push-overs. You guys must really suck." And if Barry suddenly starts having a difficult time with combat because Gopher doesn't want his playthrough to be just a cakewalk (which, in fairness, is understandable), I don't feel like Barry would have the same "Wow, you guys all suck at this whole post-apocalypse thing." attitude towards everything. lol

When Gopher did Barry the first time he was all about testing a console play through. He was testing things he is no longer testing. Gopher is an exceptional gamer. He always plays on the hardest or nearly hardest level. He always makes combat seem like a piece of cake. He is flippant and casual. He is always like this. It was funny to watch him get in trouble in some games like Prey and Senua. But Gopher is still Gopher. I don't think you can change that. I find his play style funny, exasperating, ridiculous, and exhilarating. But I like it best when he edits out the boring parts.

I wonder if he is going to find the strange instabilities in the engine that I have been experiencing since the last update?

Edited by Cryzeteur

8 hours ago, jeancly said:

eI prefer vafs honestly.  Vats modded looks stupid because if the enemy comes closer you get hammered. 

It doesn't seem like Barry unless he has the VATS interface.

I never felt Barry's character was fully flushed out since Gophers went thru the XB1 playthru pretty fast, and we know why it was just for mod conversions.

With that said only Gopher knows where he wants to take this character so I am open to which ever combat method he chooses for that character.

I enjoy non VATS play thrus the most since VATS really does remove most of the danger when playing. What does MATN call it? Oh yes "VATS defense". It just makes the game too easy even with a crappy build and non- legendary weapons.

5 hours ago, OutandBack said:

I never felt Barry's character was fully flushed out since Gophers went thru the XB1 playthru pretty fast, and we know why it was just for mod conversions.

With that said only Gopher knows where he wants to take this character so I am open to which ever combat method he chooses for that character.

I enjoy non VATS play thrus the most since VATS really does remove most of the danger when playing. What does MATN call it? Oh yes "VATS defense". It just makes the game too easy even with a crappy build and non- legendary weapons.

It is totally true that we really don't know much about Barry, so I am perfectly fine with what ever Gopher chooses.:)