Gopher's Minions
tampabrad

PLEASE HELP, SO TIRED OF THIS!!!!

Please someone, anyone help me.  I'm so tired of all this technical issues with pc.  I jumped right in off xbox1 with having very little to no pc experience.  I love mods and the way the game looks.  That being said I bought skyrim the original because it has a ton of mods on nexus. However the game will not load with any mods, cuts out right after Bethesda logo pops up.  I don't get error code or anything.  I Have nexus mod manager and have been using it for oblivion and skse.  Yes, I do own skyrim special edition as well and can mod somewhat ok.  I bough the original cause there is like 8x more mods.  This does me no good if I cant play the game with mods.  If I disable mods the game loads fine.  I don't see how it could be mods when no matter what mod it is even the patch it wont load.  Getting tired of this and don't know what to do. Please if anyone has any suggestions explain it as simply as possible.  Thank you

Basically to simplify this original skyrim loads fine.  I download mod any mod no matter what and it crashes after Bethesda logo appears.  There is no error code or anything.  Please someone has to know something, I'm knew to this world and have been getting kicked around pretty good.

Hello tampabrad, I feel your pain. I to came from the console world (snestoPS3) and finely decided to get a gamingPC to see if it really made a difference.

Having mod issues with no training is how I found Gophers channel and what made me become a minion. Gophers modding videos really do work and the best advice I can offer is to start watching them to get a better handle on modding. The when and how and in what order is critical.

Thank you for replying, I did watch his nexus video and it did help me with skyrm special edition.  However I'm just so confused because just one mod will  make game crash.  I know I look like a complete idiot for spending 20 on old skyrim when I have knew one but I switched for mods and the old skyrim is mod heaven.  I'm so discouraged and feel like an idiot.  I know 99 percent of gamers would probably have no problem if they had this same problem on there pc.

I don't think so. Like you said there are many and I mean many mods that only work on 32bit Skyrim. I have both games loaded and modded.

Some of the bigger tips I've learned is does the mod require other mods to work. Like the script extender. Watch out for mods that overlap. They might not play well together.

It is really important when just starting out to only do one mod at a time so you will know which one crashed your game. Also just because you un installed or turned the mod off in NMM  the mod does not alway put everything back to 100% vanilla. Sometimes it is better to trash everything, including game saves which can be corrupted and document files(the ini's in the my document folder and start fresh.

12 minutes ago, tampabrad said:

Whats the workshop? Am I supposed to do anything with that when I play skyim with mods?  Please be gentle with replies I have been kicked around enough .

Do you mean Steam's workshop?

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=72850

DOn't worry about getting newbie pounded for asking questions about mods/modding. That does not happen here. Any one doing that will be shown the door.

Thank you for that, makes me feel better.  Yes I do believe that's it.  I never noticed it in special edition version.  I want to say it was in main menu screen but that is where it took me when I clicked on it, (what you pasted).  Do I need to make adjustments there or is it like the special edition and oblivion, ready after you install nexus mod manger?   Just looked at it and its in data files part of main menu.   Thank you for taking time and responding

Edited by tampabrad
add text

20 minutes ago, tampabrad said:

Thank you for that, makes me feel better.  Yes I do believe that's it.  I never noticed it in special edition version.  I want to say it was in main menu screen but that is where it took me when I clicked on it, (what you pasted).  Do I need to make adjustments there or is it like the special edition and oblivion, ready after you install nexus mod manger?   Just looked at it and its in data files part of main menu.   Thank you for taking time and responding

You are welcome I am glad to help if I can. I have been a PC gamer/mod user for just 3 years and still consider myself a beginner. I have not learned how to use MO. I only do NMM and manual mods like ini tweeks.

Our fellow minions here have saved my bacon so many times.

On your workshop question have you watched Gophers video?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/613938693183271814/

Know I cant even figure out how to take screan shot in game.  Nvidia says alt plus f1 steam says f12, neither work.  Where can I check what version of skyrim I have.  I have found it n oblivion and my special edition version but I'm cant on skyrim.  I'm thinking maybe I didn't get the add ons hearthfire and dawnguard and that's why mods are crashing game. When I checked plugins they weren't in there.  That's the only skyrim I could find and assumed they were on there because of price.  The only version you can find on steam is the special edition. Guess I threw away another 20 dollars.  Brings me up to 50 because I bought fallout 4 yesterday and cant figure that out either.  Something about ini files.  Watched gopher video and something about cutting and pasting as soon as I start doing stuff I don't know about I mess everything up.  So over whelmed.  Looks like I will be playing special edition forever cause that's the only one I can get to work.

One day when my confidence gets up will install skse   then sky.  I have skse downloaded just not installed.  I watched gophers video but like I said  copying and pasting isn't for me yet.  I'm really in my 30's not my 70's like I must seem I just never really messed with computers.  I got back into video games when I broke my foot and ankle at work bit started with psp.  From there I got ps vita, then xbox 360 then xbox1.  Something about being able to mod your game and change hooked me when I heard about it.  So here I sit.  A gaming lap top I bought a month ago and 2 games I cant mod and don't want t o play now out frustration.  

You got to take baby steps. I know how hard that is honest. Lets try to do a screen capture of your Nexus mod page.

I will assume your computer came with the application Paint?

Bring up your NMM screen where you can see the mods you've checked to be on. Like one of the pictures I posted above.

Now on your keyboard find the keys  CTRL and ALT (both lower left) and the PRT SC (Print screen key usually near the F12 top right)

Press and hold for a second all three keys at one time.

Now open the application PAINT.

When the ap is open and you have a blank canvas press the keys CTRL and V at the same time.

A picture of your entire deck top with the NMM panel should be displayed.

Now you want to crop the picture to just what you want.

At the top of Paint find the select  button (upper left just below view) press it once.

Now use your mouse to click/hold the mouse button down and drag to to make a box on what you want to save. Release the mouse button and click the crop button (nest to the select button)

Now safe that file as a jpg and put it on your desktop.

You now have your first screen shot. This will really help when trying to explain your problem in a post.

If you think this is worth learning and want to know the next steps so you can post your screen shot let me know.

OH this is not the way you capture a picture of you in a game that is different and I can help you trhere as well.

game play screen shot: click image for larger pict.

29195519923_680290a123_b.jpg

7 hours ago, tampabrad said:

A gaming lap top I bought a month ago and 2 games I cant mod and don't want t o play now out frustration.  

Hang in there man it gets easier. I too switched to PC only a few years back and consider myself a noob. However here's a few things to hopefully keep in mind. Take your time and work through each step. I literally  would pause Gophers tutorials do what he did then start it up again and repeat until I got mods to work. Try not to focus on the out come as much as the process. When you start thinking about the game you could be playing you start getting more frustrated. Modding is a skill you learn over time. For those of us who do not have a computing background it can be daunting. Copying and pasting are pretty easy do not worry about messing up the .ini file you can save a copy and if you do something wrong you can always replace it with the original. You are in the right place to get the answers you need just try to relax and learn the steps. Each thing you learn to do increases your overall knowledge of computers which is always good in the long run. Good luck and don't let the first frustrations stop you keep going you can do this trust me I mod games now and if I can anyone can. 

P.S. If all else fails try hitting the laptop with a wrench :) It wont solve anything but you will feel better for a moment ;P

Some mods NEED skse and/or the official DLCs. Be sure to read carefully the description of every mod you download and be sure to have all the requirements. I know it can be annoying having to read 30 pages of fancy descriptions every time, but trust me, it's not as annoying as reading all the forums and tutorials that exist on the internet when something goes wrong.

You also need to change some lines in the ini files some times, so be sure to read about that as well.

Gopher videos are amazing to help you learn how to mod, and there are also tons of written tutorials with pictures and so. I read like 5 different web sites before installing my first mod (which was only a texture replacer for tankards).

Now, a simple but very important just-in-case question:

Are you playing the English version of the game, or are you using any other language?

With different languages you might need some other settings and/or installation requirements (I used to play the Japanese version, and I needed to do some tweaking before starting).

Btw did I read your post correctly, you were knew to computers too?  Well that does make me feel better because I feel like I started backwards.  What I mean is getting into gaming on pc before getting into pc's.  Do you think i'm totally out of luck with skyrim now since I don't see the addons?  I cant find skyrim on steam only knew one.  I just thought that it would automatically have all addons.  I found it on skse I think.

I'm pretty sure you can get to old skyrim steam page if you have the link. But not from steam itself as old skyrim has been removed. 

Try "skyrim steam store page" on google. 

Edit: http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/72850

That's the link i got from google (no need for the hi-res one, better if you get mods :P )

http://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim/

that's the one for skyrim itself.

Edit again: Wait... you didn't get the legendary edition? I didn't think that was an option... 

Maybe try to stick to mods that don't need dlc until you get it working? ^^

i also jumped from console to pc without knowing much about it, but didn't have any problem with mods or games. 

Where did you install skyrim? By default I think it goes to program files. I would recommend installing steam, your games and mod manager directly to c: drive just in case that interferes with file changes (you know, windows and security etc). 

After that, I would suggest start over. Re install skyrim and go through the mods one by one. Reading the install instructions again. 

Keep in mind that some mods might be outdated and might not work or even crash your game, so it might be good to check the last updates and comment section. 

Edited by Sebngarde

its installed where you said the default I use steam.  I don't have legendary.   That was my mistake and I bet its keep mods from working or the free high resolution add on guess ill try that and go to bed.  Thanks again.

Having all DLC's is always a ggod idea when wanting to use mods. Many mod makers use assets from those DLCs so if you don't have them the mod won't work or it might kind of work.

It is always good to hit the  info box on the Nexus page the one to the left of the download box and read what the mod author recommends. He/she will usually tell you what you need and in what order. They will sometime tell you about conflicts with other mods. Don't ignore those warning.

21 hours ago, tampabrad said:

hey sorry been at work, I noticed in my plugins I don't have dawnguard or hearthfire or the other one.  How do I get skyrim with all those on there? That's probably the problem right? 

You have said that you do not have the DLCs in Plugins, but have you checked Steam? When you open your game page on Steam and click on Skyrim to bring it up, under where it says "ACHIEVEMENTS" you will see "DLC". If you own the DLC they will be listed. If they are not installed they will still be listed.

If you own the DLCs just click on the item and get it installing.... it will take awhile to install. Do this to every DLC you own.

If you do not own them then look to the right where there is blue text above a list "LINKS" ... in that list is "DLC" . Click on "DLC" and the store page will come up where you can buy the DLC.

Easy as that.

If you buy them for $25 they are well worth having. Also get the Skyrim: High Resolution Texture Pack. It is free.

Edited by Cryzeteur

BTW. When you follow Gophers tutorials, always play only one step. Repeat that step in your system. Make sure you have done it right as best you can by reviewing Gophers demo. When you are sure you have done exactly what he showed, then move on to the next step.

At first the process is very very slow, but Gopher is very thorough and shows every step plainly.

When I first started modding I did this and this is how I learned to mod. 

After you are done it is sometimes beneficial to review Gopher's instructions. Sometimes you will see something you missed the first time through because you did not understand the system perfectly.

Be patient. Modding is worthwhile, rewarding, and fun.

Edited by Cryzeteur