Gopher's Minions

I really got hooked on mods with xbox and skyrim.  I bought a pc so I could get deep into mods.  Recently been playing skyrim and have mods threw nmm and haven't had "too" much trouble.  Just a couple days ago I downloaded Oblivian and went to the scan part on nexus to get set up.  Oblivian never showed up and now when I try to get into my nmm manager a grey box pops up and says skyrim is not set up to work on nexus and if you have game installed, to rescan.  On the top of the box it says unrecognized game.  The major problem is I cant open nexus to scan any games now because I cant get past the grey box.  I really enjoy mods and would like to continue but this is a bit overwhelming.  Could anyone please help with terminology for a beginner. I have watched Gophers video on installing Nexus but I need help on getting into it now.  PLEASE HELP!

First thing I would do is reinstall Nexus.

Second: Sometimes you get overwrites of the .ini files in the documents folder on the C: drive. Just delete the .ini files and try the game, if it starts, it will rebuild the .ini files.

I am guessing that you do not have your games on Steam. If you do, you can run a file integrity check.

Reinstall Nexus. It may act as a fresh install. You may have to reinstall all your mods. You may have to reinstall the Skyrim game. Same goes for Oblivion. 

Worst case scenario is that windows is messed up and you have to do some major fix.

BTW I run Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, FO1, FO2, FO3, FO4, FONV and a bunch of other games most of them with mods ... sometimes I get weird crashes and overwrites, but usually everything is fine.

Make sure your video driver is up to date for the version of windows you are running.

Edited by Cryzeteur

I can play skyrim with the mods I downloaded.  I just cant get into my nexus mod manager anymore.  My nexus was set up with only the knew Skyrim.  I clicked that little box in the upper wright to change games so I could download Oblivian and it went to the scan part but didn't read it.  The very next time I tried to open it I got that box that said skyrim is not set up too work with nexus and unrecognized game.  That's as far as I can go.  I don't think I can get rid of nexus because its ran as administrator.  My games are in my library on steam if that's what you mean.  

Instead of using the click box in the Nexus Opening game screen, click on "Rescan Installed Games". You must already have Oblivion installed. If it does not find the executable, you will have to input the address manually. If it is a Steam installation it should find it automatically.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Good Luck...

I am not sure I have understood your problem exactly. If I am not telling you what you need just explain again.

Gopher does have a tutorial on using Nexus.

It occurs to me that you may be trying to install Oblivion from the Nexus Game Selection screen. You cannot do this. You must install the game and then the Game Selection screen allows you to tell Nexus where the game is and where the mods are.

You cannot install Oblivion from the Nexus Game Selection screen.

Edited by Cryzeteur

No I have nexus installed already and I have skyrim (sse).  I have mods and was playing and downloading mods.  I decided to by oblivion off steam and downloaded it.  I then went on nexus to change my game from skyrim so that it would scan my games and find oblivion as well.  Nexus never found oblivion and now I cant get into nexus because a window pops up and tells me that skyrim is not set up to run on nexus and to rescan it If I have game installed.  At the top of grey box it says skyrim is a unrecognized game.  The problem is I cant get into nexus and scan anything now.

I downloaded Oblivian off steam already it is playable.  Skyrim is playable too with mods I already downloaded.  The problem is I cant get into nexus mod manager.  When I click on it a grey box pops up and says skyrim is not set up to work with nexus.  Unrecognized game appears at the top of box and it tells me to rescan games if I already have it installed.  I just cant get past the box and do anything.  Thanks for anything  you might be able to offer.  I'm so mad at myself for buying Oblivian, I should of just left it alone and continued to play and mod skyrim.

You need too reinstall Nexus.

1. Open the Nexus web site: https://www.nexusmods.com/games/?

2. At the top click on Install NMM (0.63.14)

3. On the page "Nexus Mod Manager - OPEN BETA" click the green download button for your system.

4. It will come up with an error message with a button "Click to download NMM" ... click it.

5. This brings up the download window at the bottom of the screen. I suggest you SAVE and then when it is finished open the file location and run from there.

6. This should install a fresh copy of NMM on top of your old faulty NMM.

7. It should run normally after that.

8. You have to input the file pathway for your .exe file. You can go to the page where Oblivion.exe is located and copy the pathway from the top of the page. You can also use file search which might be easier but you still have to find it manually. That is where the .exe is located. It will also ask for your mod location and you can leave that as the default as you do not have any mods.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Thank you for taking the time and going threw step by step for me.  I'm going to wait a little and try it.  I'm just a little nervous because I really feel like a dummy when it comes to this and right now I can play skyrim with the mods I already had downloaded.  I will try exactly what you wrote though and let you know.  Thanks again for taking the time to help.

1 hour ago, tampabrad said:

Will my old mods be on there if I download a knew copy?  Also wont it tell me that I cant do that because nmm is already downloaded?

Nexus updates every few days and keeps all mods installed unless something is broken. Sometimes it just quits working. Probably because of memory overwrites.

But it should work fine.

I just want to remind you that the first thing I said to try was to put the address of Oblivion in the Nexus game selection page. I keep feeling that you have not done this if Nexus cannot find the Oblivion.exe. 

Cryz I hope you just felt that cross country high five I just gave you! I re downloaded nmm and its back to scanning for games! Only problem now is it found oblivion but skyrim.  I know I can manually type it in but where do I find it? Thanks again

2 minutes ago, tampabrad said:

Cryz I hope you just felt that cross country high five I just gave you! I re downloaded nmm and its back to scanning for games! Only problem now is it found oblivion but skyrim.  I know I can manually type it in but where do I find it? Thanks again

LOL... If you can't find it just do a drive search for Skyrim.exe

Open up file Explorer and select a drive on your PC or select "This PC" ... up in the right there in the bar that runs clear across the page is a "search" box. Type "Skyrim.exe" in there and it will take a while but will find your skyrim game folder. You can right click it to either choose "File Location" or open "Properties at the bottom and look in the middle of the box to see the file location

I should mention that if your games are in the "Program" or "Program X86" folders on the C: drive, then your comp[uter may block access to your games. The solution is to copy the "Steam" folder containing all your games to another location not in the "Program" folders.

Again ... I highly recommend you view Gophers instructional videos on Nexus... There are 5 of them. You probably only need to watch the Introduction and video #1.

https://www.gophersvids.com/?gopher_storyboard=nexus-mod-manager-and-load-order

4 hours ago, tampabrad said:

Grey box opens with out letting me into nexus

BTW I think the grey box you are talking about is the place where you are supposed to type the address of your .exe file. Just a guess.

You have to remember that Nexus and Steam are not linked. They work very well together... but there is no actual connection.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Also pay close attention to what Gopher says about putting all your games in the same place, such as:

C:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim

C:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\Oblivion

Both Steam and Nexus will then be able to find all your games. (Note, you could also put them on the D: drive or whatever.)

Other files will appear in the common folder... Do not delete them.

Edited by Cryzeteur