Jump to content
Gopher's Minions
gnuee

Dawnguard and Hearthfire are causing crashes

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I downloaded Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn DLCs and the high resolution packs, I don't have any mods. when I select only the Dragonborn DLC in data files, it works fine, but when I select dawnguard or hearthfire, it crashes after the Bethesda logo. I'm trying to fix it for days, I installed the game again, it didn't work. People are talking about the load order, LOOT, TES5Edit and stuff, but nearly every advice I saw was for modded Skyrim. Like I said, I don't have any mods, and this is how my load order looks like:

 8N97Jn.png
I don't know what to do. Please help.

Edited by gnuee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is that load order right? Doesn't Skyrim need to be first? then the DLC in order of release?  I'm really not very good at this gaming stuff so I could be off base.  I also don't have Skyrim or Skyrim SE loaded on my PC to check (thank you Win10 Creators update).  Did Skyrim SE change that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Badges said:

is that load order right? Doesn't Skyrim need to be first? then the DLC in order of release?  I'm really not very good at this gaming stuff so I could be off base.  I also don't have Skyrim or Skyrim SE loaded on my PC to check (thank you Win10 Creators update).  Did Skyrim SE change that?

Good catch @Badges Here is my load order from SE it should be the same for old 32bit skyrim. I don't believe you can change the order of the grayed out ones. I wonder how the OP changed his? Down loaded/installed in the wrong order maybe?

click image for larger pict.

36475418324_a408ec57ef_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Badges said:

is that load order right? Doesn't Skyrim need to be first? then the DLC in order of release?  I'm really not very good at this gaming stuff so I could be off base.  I also don't have Skyrim or Skyrim SE loaded on my PC to check (thank you Win10 Creators update).  Did Skyrim SE change that?

Yes. Skyrim.esm must come first in load order.

I also recommend getting the Skyrim version Update. However after installing the  Update, you should start a new game.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, OutandBack said:

Good catch @Badges Here is my load order from SE it should be the same for old 32bit skyrim. I don't believe you can change the order of the grayed out ones. I wonder how the OP changed his? Down loaded/installed in the wrong order maybe?

click image for larger pict.

36475418324_a408ec57ef_o.jpg

Firstly, thanks to everyone who replied. I didn't do anything myself to change the load order, just dragged the stuff I downloaded to Data. Can you guys please tell me what can I do to change the order?

Is the pic I posted that shows my load order old 32-bit Skyrim? I didn't know. I started to play Skyrim a few months ago and I don't know much. I saw a different "data files" look in some YouTube videos. Does that mean they have a different version like the Legendary Edition or Special Edition?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gnuee said:

 Firstly, thanks to everyone who replied. I didn't do anything myself to change the load order, just dragged the stuff I downloaded to Data. Can you guys please tell me what can I do to change the order?

Is the pic I posted that shows my load order old 32-bit Skyrim? I didn't know. I started to play Skyrim a few months ago and I don't know much. I saw a different "data files" look in some YouTube videos. Does that mean they have a different version like the Legendary Edition or Special Edition?

 

Go to Nexus and sign up. Then download the Nexus Mod Manager. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/? The link to download the manager is at the top of the page. It is all free. 

When you run the program you will have to answer a couple of questions about your game folders. The program should automatically find Skyrim. In the window that comes up hightlight Skyrim and click "OK". 

Near the top of the window you will see a tab "Plugins" click that and you will see your mod order. Drag Skyrim.esm to the top.

19 hours ago, OutandBack said:

36475418324_a408ec57ef_o.jpg

In Outlandback's post you can see at the top the game name is shown as "Skyrim SE" ... he is playing using the 64 bit version. Look at your own mod listing and you see it is just "Skyrim" ... that is OLD Skyrim using the 32 bit engine.

If you want SkyrimSE you can go to Bethesda or Steam and buy it. But Old Skyrim is perfectly fine.

Gopher has some excellent videos that will help:

 

Edited by Cryzeteur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I downloaded NMM and this is how it looks like now:

 LO2l1a.png 
My load order still looks the same as the pic I posted. Dawnguard and Hearthfire still don't work. The game crashes a few seconds after the Skyrim logo. Is there anything else I can do? :/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gnuee said:

I downloaded NMM and this is how it looks like now:

 LO2l1a.png 
My load order still looks the same as the pic I posted. Dawnguard and Hearthfire still don't work. The game crashes a few seconds after the Skyrim logo. Is there anything else I can do? :/

 

Are you using steam? If so, then you can right click on the game title in the far left list of games and click on "Properties" at the bottom of the list of options. Then click on "Local Files" Then click on "Verify Integrity Of Game Files". ... and see if that helps.

Otherwise it looks like you have a faulty installation. First reinstall Dawnguard and Hearthfire. Try that

If that doesn't work you may have to reinstall the whole game from scratch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If file validation process that Cryzeteur described does not work outright, then try this method as well.

  • Exist Steam
  • Go to Steam folder and locate folder named appcache.
  • Delete that folder, or clear it from all content. Steam will later create a new one.
  • Close your computer. Let it actually shut down, before you start it again.
  • Start Steam. It will now create a new appcache folder for you.

If Steam does not parse files immediately, then verify integrity of game cache again, as described above. Clearing cache makes sure that it is actually detecting potential problems it needs to parse. It might not do that, if content in appcache is messed up for some reason.

If the process fails, then there might still be third party files in your game folder. In that case doing a full clean re-installation is the best option, because basic re-install does not remove third party files. Clean install requires that you delete the Skyrim installation folder after uninstalling the game and before installing it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...