Gopher's Minions

Prey - Tips & Tricks (So to speak)

Thought I make a little thread about Prey, especially so that Caloss2 tips about aiming can be easier found, but maybe there is also other useful tips that can be shared ?

On 20/08/2017 at 11:45 PM, Caloss2 said:

I felt exactly the same as Gopher about the injecting yourself in the eye lol

And 

Gopher you will probably have figured this out by now, but the crosshair isn't centred on screen, making aiming the Gloo gun very tricky the fix is to change a line in the Prey/GameSDK/game.cfg file to "g_reticleYPercentage = 0.5"

Also, on a more personal level I was wondering what to upgrade.  Got 5 spare Neuromods and to many options as to where to put the points, they all seem so useful :P . So far got:

Scientist - Physician I - Necropsy
Engineer - Repair I - Suit Modification I

And for a bit of fun, found this gif to share with you. :P

9iCBbck.jpg

(Not sure why I couldn't insert image from URL with imgur ? Working now thanks to Caloss2 )

Edited by Beuwolf

I hate the hacking, it only gets worse as you get higher levels, far more than locking picking in bethesda games, thankfully though.

http://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/8/?

You still need to have the  hacking skill-1-2-3 etc required.

9iCBbck.jpg

The link was missing the .jpg file extension.

Edited by Caloss2

Early on a very useful one to get is Combat Focus. It slows time down and makes your actions cost less stamina, letting you get more whacks in with the Wrench (and more shots with guns I think, too?). It can be a big help early on when fighting Phantoms because of how much damage they can take before dying, and how much damage they can do with their energy blasts.

Edited by Sup3rNo7a
11 hours ago, Sup3rNo7a said:

Early on a very useful one to get is Combat Focus. It slows time down and makes your actions cost less stamina, letting you get more whacks in with the Wrench (and more shots with guns I think, too?). It can be a big help early on when fighting Phantoms because of how much damage they can take before dying, and how much damage they can do with their energy blasts.

Thanks, I reloaded a safe and then used your recommendation as well.  Didn't have to but wanted the Materials Expert skill before doing any recycling so went back a bit, wasn't that far gone anyway.  Then also used yours, so will see how that works out.  gopherVaultStiv

Another tips, which I am surprised Gopher not picked up on yet. :P  Moving object use gas canisters and shoot them, the blast is enough to even make items you need level 3 leverage to move, although might have to use 2.  That way I come into the storage area in the machine shop which was blocked by a couple containers.  gopherVaultStiv

Speaking of getting high-leverage crates and stuff out of the way, you can use those little Recycler Charge grenade things near them and they'll suck them up and turn them into materials just like like anything else (can't remember if there's a skill for 'larger' objects or not, though). :P

Edited by Sup3rNo7a
41 minutes ago, Sup3rNo7a said:

Speaking of getting high-leverage crates and stuff out of the way, you can use those little Recycler Charge grenade things near them and they'll suck them up and turn them into materials just like like anything else (can't remember if there's a skill for 'larger' objects or not, though). :P

This is exactly what I was thinking when I complained that Gopher had wasted his grenades killing a phantom...  :P

19 hours ago, Sup3rNo7a said:

That's a good tips too.  Afraid I used a couple of those on a pile of broken operators though, but I will remember they can be used on high-level crates as well.  gopherVaultStiv

On another note and maybe not a tip per see.  But, if you remember the first safe you encounter after breaking out from your room, in the debriefing room (need level 3 hacking otherwise).  Later when you find out the code for the safe (it been erased from the whiteboard when you escaping, but if you paying attention later it is showed for you. :P ) and you trying to go back.  Well, you can't, tried for 10-15 min to find the way back but it is locked out.

BUT.. You can be sneaky and if you walk along the "roof" of your bedroom and the observation rooms, then jumping down on the shelfs you can get to the safe that way.  Coming back though,  you have to use the gloo gun to make a couple steps up against the crates, then on one the ventilation shaft (tried jumping from top shelf to the ventilation but was a bit short, a bloob of glue was enough.) and then you back and out again.  Unless you already have the propulsion system then no glue needed most likely. :P

Now, not sure if you ever going back there later in the game as it progressing or not, but yeah, that's how I got it done.  (Are you going back ??)

2 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

That's a good tips too.  Afraid I used a couple of those on a pile of broken operators though, but I will remember they can be used on high-level crates as well.  gopherVaultStiv

On another note and maybe not a tip per see.  But, if you remember the first safe you encounter after breaking out from your room, in the debriefing room (need level 3 hacking otherwise).  Later when you find out the code for the safe (it been erased from the whiteboard when you escaping, but if you paying attention later it is showed for you. :P ) and you trying to go back.  Well, you can't, tried for 10-15 min to find the way back but it is locked out.

BUT.. You can be sneaky and if you walk along the "roof" of your bedroom and the observation rooms, then jumping down on the shelfs you can get to the safe that way.  Coming back though,  you have to use the gloo gun to make a couple steps up against the crates, then on one the ventilation shaft (tried jumping from top shelf to the ventilation but was a bit short, a bloob of glue was enough.) and then you back and out again.  Unless you already have the propulsion system then no glue needed most likely. :P

Now, not sure if you ever going back there later in the game as it progressing or not, but yeah, that's how I got it done.  (Are you going back ??)

I can't remember now but I think there was an easier way to open that safe. However, using that technique to get to the roof could be interesting very early in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a hasty thing when clearing out the Data Vault in the Deep Storage.  Had to use a Recycling Grenade to enter the room, got surprised by the Weaver in there, and a Phantom it made.  In panic I throw in two Recycling Grenades, which worked as the Phantom got killed by them.  Bit later though I realised one of the names on the list over people that was in Deep Storage was untraceable and I didn't like it so I redid that part.  This time I remembered to use a Nullwave Grenade instead (which worked like a charm on the Weaver ! gopherVaultStiv )

As I was looting the place after I realized that the Recycling Grenade had destroyed a Shoot Gun and a Neuromod ! :o  Because they weren't there after I used the Recycling Grenade.  So the point with this post is to be careful using them, since they can destroy things that might be needed.  Although we already seen that in Gopher's playthrough when he accidentally recycled a human corpse and the Disruptor Stun Gun he had on him. Mention this now since he past that part and has made said gun himself now. :P

They can be used if going back to an area I guess, since you most likely looted the place already so should only be Typhoon's around that can be recycled. :P

So, finally completed the game.  Pretty awesome game and loved the finish of it.  Made one wonder if there is going to be a Prey 2 in the future. :P

And since most of us is watching Gophers playthrough we all know his love for Neuromods and I have to say crafting them is not really needed.  I only crafted those 12 (think it was 12) that you could do before needing to renew the license.  I completed the side quest but never made another Neuromod after that, still used 162 Neuromods and had 4 left when the game was over with.  Was on an all human playthough and acquired 40 Human abilities.  (Having taken a peek on the Prey wiki, to fully max out the Alien tree you "only" need 159 Neuromods, compared to 218 for the Human tree).  Not sure how many Neuromod you can find in total across the station and outside though.  Just thought I would mention that crafting them is not really needed that much. ;)

Have to admit at the start it was a bit rough sometimes but after having maxed out the upgrades on the shotgun, all Sneak and all Firearms the damage with it was pretty insane.  One shooted Phantoms if sneaked up on them and the Nightmare was easy to take down as well (killed 10 of those :o )  And still remember when I saw the first one and turned around and left the area ! :P