Gopher's Minions

CREATION CLUB : The Fatal Flaw

So here again I would like to point out, we are looking at this from the PC gamer side.  "The mods are crap" , "they are not worth $2" , "I can get them free on Nexus"...  now stop and think what if there was no Nexus?  This is the life of a PS4 user....

VGChartz' William D'Angelo writes: "The remastered version of the open world action RPG from Bethesda - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - sold 938,734 units first week at retail, according to our estimates. First week sales can be viewed on the VGChartz Global Weekly Chart for the week ending October 29.

"Breaking down the sales by platform, the game (Skyrim SE) sold best on the PlayStation 4 with 589,449 units sold (63%), compared to 349,285 units sold on the Xbox One (37%)."   (note 63 + 27 = 90    90% of Skyrim SE sells went to consoles, mainly because us PC users already had it, but look at the original market of Skyrim below)

If you have a new market for mods, which is what the PS4 is, then the Creation Club is a money maker.  As much as we would like to think,  PC is not KING, the market share is moving to consoles,  PS4 user can't go to or use Nexus.   What Bethesda has done is found a way to exploit PS4 users.

Skryim (oldrim)  Sales By Platform    ( Total Skyrim units sold  as of 2015,          23,270,000 )  

XBox 360            59 %

Playstation 3     27%

PC                   14%

based onhttp://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

By all accounts  PC's is the smallest market for Skyrim and Skyrim SE, so Bethesda's Creation Club is catering to the larger market.  The Creation Club does not take away anything from the PC user, so let us just sit back and feel sorry for our console brothers and sisters that have to pay for what we get free... God bless Nexus.

just FYI,  some rough numbers  there is 8000  files/mods at Nexus right now for Skyrim SE, with 589,000 Skyrim SE sold to the PS4, if (over time) each of these new users purchased just 5 files (realize no one has just 5 mods for skyrim)  but just 5 mods  @ $2 a mods for these new users   =  $5,890,000  .  That's just 5 mods at $2 each based on new sells only.   Think about once this gets going  and you have 4000 mods to choose from and the average cost is $4 a mod, any good Dovahkiin will have at least 20 mods, 20 mods at $4 each = $80     80 * new users 589,000 = $47,120,000  .....  $47 million.     Think about all of those console users only spending $8 a month on mods...  got to have texture mods, oh then got to have the god  sword, and oh the re-skin back-pack....  this makes for a great revenue stream.   pay as you play   $8 a month to have the prettiest horse armor is worth it.

Edited by Flyddon
1 hour ago, Flyddon said:

So here again I would like to point out, we are looking at this from the PC gamer side.  "The mods are crap" , "they are not worth $2" , "I can get them free on Nexus"...  now stop and think what if there was no Nexus?  This is the life of a PS4 user.... 

Mmm looks like someone do not think the CC sucks... HE IS THE ENEMY ! Kill him ! :Kappa: 

Well jokes aside. Nice analysis, had no idea the numbers were this different. Nonetheless cc sucks

Flyddon I though XBox players could get mods like PC guys? Only PS consoles need the CC. Am I wrong?

In defense of the 14% PC gamers (general comment not directed at anyone)

IMO they are the main reason Bethesda games stay active, played for years and talked about on the internet which excites and informs new console players of this game even if they can't use mods they now know about this game and buy it. Without this 14% of true gaming fans most games die in 6 months or less.

The thing about this model is, though, and its the reason the PS4 is the only chance the Creation Club actually has of working: This business model ONLY works in closed environments.

This fails spectacularly on PC and even on Xbox One because the modding environment for Fallout/Skyrim on those platforms is very, very open. On the PS4, it's closed (or at least, extremely restrictive). The difference between PS4 Fallout and PC/Xbox Fallout is as night and day as the difference between Fallout and something like Overwatch (and most other games, frankly).

There are NEVER going to be any mods for Overwatch. Why? Not because it's not technically possible (someone could do it if they really wanted to), but because Blizzard keeps it's environment completely closed off, and any real effort to bypass and mod it would likely just get you banned for trying to cheat. On PC/Xbox Fallout, mods can be created or downloaded, and then added on a whim with relatively little effort because Bethesda allows for it (largely because it's a single player game, so no real "cheating" is involved).

I also think that's largely where the underlying fear of a "modpocolypse" comes from. All Bethesda really has to do is decide that they're not going to allow for open modding anymore, and push forward headstrong on this Creation Club microtransaction model, which will require them to close off the environment if they want to make any worthwhile money with this model.

Just so everyone knows   I am a PC player !  I do not own a console,  xbox or PS.  I believe the only way to truly play a game like Skyrim or FO is on PC (keyboard & mouse).

But that does not change the fact that with a little investment on Bethesda's part they will reap great revenue.

Yes, I totally agree that PC gamer's made Bethesda what they are today, a money hungry,  monolithic thinking corporate gaint, that is more concerned about profits than the fine art of game development.     However, they are a business and a business gotta make da money.

And as much as I despise the thought,   consoles are winning the game war by sheer numbers.  Of course, I blame this too on millennial's, who grew up on xbox and PS3.   

1 minute ago, Flyddon said:

However, they are a business and a business gotta make da money.

I was joking before saying you are the enemy of course eh XD

about what i left in the Quote. This is something i do not agree. Or better, yes, they gotta make money, and that is what making games are for.It's their job. Excuses like " we gotta make money somehow" is what brings to bs like what is happening to shadow of war. Citing Jim Sterling " if you are not making money by selling the game you produced, you suck at your job" or something like that. I mean CD project red made a ton of money from The witcher 3 while having 2 AWESOME dlc, quite cheap even and giving a ton of discounts.

11 hours ago, Flyddon said:

Yeah, everyone talks about it from the pc gamer point of view, but even if all of us were ps4 users, these "not-paid-mods-but-paid-mods-no-matter-what-bethesda-says" aren't worth it. The prices are stupid.

As Gopher points out in the video, if you buy every content they upload, you will be expending the same amount of money you would use to get an xbox to use free mods at some point. 

So, yeah, forget about cc and get an xbox (gaming pc would be better though, but I'm thinking cheap). 

2 hours ago, Sebngarde said:

So, yeah, forget about cc and get an xbox (gaming pc would be better though, but I'm thinking cheap). 

I wish they would , I wish all PS4 gamer's would see the light and say screw this I am going to buy a PC and really see the light, and the textures and the blood, and the godrays... and so on.  That would make development studios focus more on the PC platform.

Honestly, if I were a PS4 users I would not be too happy with CC right now, the other platforms get their mods for free, I am going to have to pay for mine!   But as a friend of mine said "A key board takes up to much room on my mom's coffee table"  :lol:

Your friend should get one of these or similar, they taking up about the same space as a controller. :P

TJl4XIL.jpg

And more can be found here.  http://www.riitek.com/product/mini.html

I mean, if it just because the keyboards are to big there is solutions..

(Sorry, just jesting but couldn't help myself B) )

Edited by Beuwolf
3 hours ago, Flyddon said:

I wish they would , I wish all PS4 gamer's would see the light and say screw this I am going to buy a PC and really see the light, and the textures and the blood, and the godrays... and so on.  That would make development studios focus more on the PC platform.

Honestly, if I were a PS4 users I would not be too happy with CC right now, the other platforms get their mods for free, I am going to have to pay for mine!   But as a friend of mine said "A key board takes up to much room on my mom's coffee table"  :lol:

that's something I never really could understand; controllers work on pc, always have worked on pc, some of my first pc games I played with a joystick (anyone remember those), yet many console gamers have this notion that pc games can only be played with a mouse and keyboard.

8 hours ago, Morrandir said:

that's something I never really could understand; controllers work on pc, always have worked on pc, some of my first pc games I played with a joystick (anyone remember those), yet many console gamers have this notion that pc games can only be played with a mouse and keyboard.

Yes... I remember those days... and before when you had to use arrow keys in all text games like Final Fantasy I. And of course games that had only text.

But I have always used a controller on my PC. Some games I use controller, mouse, and keyboard... 

It is true that PCs take up more room and require a permanent home... unlike consoles which can be moved around more easily. But what is better, a little inconvenience with better game play or more mobility? Teenagers and preteens who are just starting real gaming are often limited because they are given their system as gifts and have no choice. The person giving the gift is probably some elderly aunt that never played a game in her life. So people buy a lot of consoles.

Consoles come in a box. So, they are easily gift wrapped. Ever try to wrap a PC with all the parts?

Edited by Cryzeteur
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:09 AM, Cryzeteur said:

Consoles come in a box. So, they are easily gift wrapped. Ever try to wrap a PC with all the parts?

Yes I have for my son and it was quite easy, because it came in a box :P

But seriously, Gopher also noted that the files from the CC are loaded on your system even if you never intend to use it. He also said there was a way to block this? block updates from the CC? Is this possible, really? And if I just remove them myself will it break my game or just add them again when I play.

2 hours ago, maxx130 said:

Yes I have for my son and it was quite easy, because it came in a box :P

But seriously, Gopher also noted that the files from the CC are loaded on your system even if you never intend to use it. He also said there was a way to block this? block updates from the CC? Is this possible, really? And if I just remove them myself will it break my game or just add them again when I play.

One minion suggested to setup Steam updates to only update when you are never on Steam like between 2to3AM

Another way would be to uninstall FO4 when not playing it.

Since I use an SSD I only keep 2-3 games loaded at any given time. With a fast internet I can up load any game in minutes.

14 hours ago, OutandBack said:

One minion suggested to setup Steam updates to only update when you are never on Steam like between 2to3AM

Another way would be to uninstall FO4 when not playing it.

Since I use an SSD I only keep 2-3 games loaded at any given time. With a fast internet I can up load any game in minutes.

My solution is that I have a 3 terabyte HD... So until it becomes an obvious problem I will simply ignore it.

6 hours ago, maxx130 said:

Well I went and made a "new folder" in my data folder and placed all CC files in that as a test and have not had any problems starting the game or playing. I just don't want mod content files on my system that I didn't place there myself.

I think it is a good idea but expect Steam to detect missing files and redownload them. It does this to everything in your subscription list.

And because it is an automatic subscription I don't think there is any way to stop it.

Edited by Cryzeteur