Gopher's Minions

I am also watching Cohh's LP via YT not his live streaming.

Man 4 years of streaming every day. I could not inagine how hard that would be, He bought a house and had a kid during that time as well. I just love all his "FOR SCIENCE" tests when playing.

Elex has a Fallout 3 3rd person feel to me. You know the float over the ground look. After playing Witcher 3 that floating thing is much harder to over look. Can the game be played in 1st person?

I wonder if is the clunky feeling he is speaking of?

5 minutes ago, OutandBack said:

I am also watching Cohh's LP via YT not his live streaming.

Man 4 years of streaming every day. I could not inagine how hard that would be, He bought a house and had a kid during that time as well. I just love all his "FOR SCIENCE" tests when playing.

Elex has a Fallout 3 3rd person feel to me. You know the float over the ground look. After playing Witcher 3 that floating thing is much harder to over look. Can the game be played in 1st person?

I wonder if is the clunky feeling he is speaking of?

I'm off sick so been watching it live, it's that or some films and since interested in the game so have had it running while browsing the net.

Yes, when I first heard that a month or so after someone suggested his stream I was pretty surprised as well but he seems to be loving every minute of it.  And yes, his "For Science" tests are pretty hilarious.  He been doing a couple of those in ELEX as well.  :P

ELEx has a little fell of Witcher 3, in the regard that everything is open world and no loading screens.  I like the teleportation system, although you can use it from everywhere instead of just from one station to another.  What I seen from his play through it is 3rd person only, would preferd 1st person as well since I'm pretty bad on 3rd person playing. :(  But it is not ofputting in anyway for me.

The combat is a bit "mehh" but for me that's ok, I'm more in for the exploration aspect anyway.  Also as he mentioned there is some, well mainly one issue, that might be distracting (mostly for guys I think :P ) but hopefully a patch comes out to sort that issue out.  But part from that I not seen anything that is putting me off from buying this game one day.

My only negative impression is playing it in 3rd person. It gives it a lack of immersion feel. Maybe the floaty feel also gives it this odd lack of immersion feel. And the combat feels pretty primitive. Kind of like Morrowind.

OK, so been watching Cohh streaming the game and turns out that so is some of the publishing people of the game as well.  He mentioned some bugs and couple minutes later he had a reply on his twitch.

rkwnFHJ.gif

Also, as I been watching the stream one of his followers posted a link showing the locations for something rather cool, have added that in a spoiler incase some don't want to know about it so up to you. :P

Spoiler

@CohhCarnage for the sunglasses I mentioned earlier go to this location and go ontop of the windmill
These sunglasses when used showing where all the loot is, not chest and boxes but lose stuff like Bolts, Scrap etc.

f3jneWm.png

Hardcore Gamer says:

"Elex is an unfortunate case where it appears to be too ambitious for its own good. It has a lot of great ideas, enough where it became a title of great interest when it was first announced, but the final result is something that shows promise of greatness without actually being great. The different factions are cool and the jetpack feature is a fun way to travel around, but this is offset by the different societies not meshing well together in the same world and janky combat mechanics. It feels like if the scope of the game was actually narrowed it could be refined and polished into a better overall experience. As it stands, Elex is not a bad game, but it doesn’t fall on the must play list either. Fans of the developers previous work in the Gothic and Risen series should actually check this title out since during the review playthrough Gothic flashbacks were a common occurrence, but outside of that fanbase, there are better non-linear choice-driven RPGs out there."

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/10/24/review-elex/276579/

I think this review is fair. PC Gamer in contrast put out a very negative review making fun of everything.

I think Gopher would hate the combat mechanics.

Finally bought the game through Steam on their sale.  34 Euro totally worth it I think, already sunk 15 hours into it and I installed it Friday evening ! :o:P

As for the above from Hardcore Gamers review, I never played the Gothic or Risen series but really liking ELEX so far.  Then again I do like exploring and never rushing anything so things are taking time, hence already done 15 hrs.  And yes, @Cryzeteur I think I have to agree, Gopher probably wouldn't be to fond of the combat mechanics in the game.  I still have trouble with the bow, it shoots an arrow before I have chance to aim properly ! :P

On 12/31/2017 at 2:34 AM, OutandBack said:

Watching a few reviews with game play the combat looks very clunky like back in Resident Evil 4 days. I was so looking forward to this game and very let down. I blame the W3 it has spoiled me for 3rd person games.

Slightly clunky but personally I find that the world exploration compensate for it.  Bit of a running away in the beginning though, with you not doing much damage against the mobs but the jet pack is a saver and once a few quests done and you levelled up, getting better gear and things gets more fun. gopherVaultStiv

The game "trolled" me earlier though.  You can make potions for extra Attribute/Skill points (Increases your cold value though, to cold and you revert back towards your original persona), and I couldn't decided between 2 Skills so thought I make my first potion to get a +1 towards skill.  Made it, levelled up the skill and then went on my marry way to do a quest.  On my way there, maybe 20 minutes later, I find the exact same potion I made earlier ! :o:angry::P

Not going to make another thread but have a question for @Gopher and hopefully he will see this one, or maybe someone can direct him here ???

I seen in your Steam profile that you have Gothic 1 - 3 and Risen 1 - 3 as well, all from Piranha Bytes.  I was wondering if you liked them and if so, would you consider doing a play through of ELEX sometime in the future ??  Yes, the combat is a bit clunky but if you played the other games I think you already aware of that fact.  :P (From what I read that is, never played them myself)  I am wondering because if you would consider playing it I be more then happy to donate the game to you, but rather ask before doing it, incase you have no intention to never playing it ! :P

11 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I have not played them yet, but I have not ruled out doing so. It is just more a matter of time than anything else :)

Thank you for your reply, appreciated !  Then I take it it be quiet a while before you considering ELEX ?   Which is fine, I just thought I ask incase. :P

I have played 2 hours and it has not bugged out even once. Game play is a lot smoother than when first released (was that a Beta?). I am playing on Normal difficulty to see how hard that level is. So far, difficulty is NOT hard. People have reported that the beginning of the game is very difficult but I got to the city through the ruins with no difficulty and was not even close to dying even once. I am not sure I even took any damage. I may have to raise the difficulty.

As expected the world is huge. The story is very interesting. Right now my evaluation is AA game. The quest system is interesting but I have not really tested it yet. I am running around the village.

I have not tested the RPG elements yet. However, talking to my first potential companion, I noticed that the choices kept repeating until I chose the one they wanted me to. Some of the other choices were pretty drastic opposites and the grey area seemed pretty slim. The grey area choices I wanted were not there.

BTW, I am playing with an XBOX controller and mouse.

Edited by Cryzeteur

19 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I have played 2 hours and it has not bugged out even once. Game play is a lot smoother than when first released (was that a Beta?). I am playing on Normal difficulty to see how hard that level is. So far, difficulty is NOT hard. People have reported that the beginning of the game is very difficult but I got to the city through the ruins with no difficulty and was not even close to dying even once. I am not sure I even took any damage. I may have to raise the difficulty.

As expected the world is huge. The story is very interesting. Right now my evaluation is AA game. The quest system is interesting but I have not really tested it yet. I am running around the village.

I have not tested the RPG elements yet. However, talking to my first potential companion, I noticed that the choices kept repeating until I chose the one they wanted me to. Some of the other choices were pretty drastic opposites and the grey area seemed pretty slim. The grey area choices I wanted were not there.

BTW, I am playing with an XBOX controller and mouse.

I found the first part where you following Duras is like a tutorial run, especially since he doing so much damage against the monsters you meeting.  Later when I went out by myself it was totally different, for me at least. :P

The first place is really huge, was so much to find and many quests.  Once you get a companion things will be a bit easier as well when running into monsters.  In regards to talking with NCP's, I started doing quick saves before talking with them, incase I would "make them TO upset" with me. :o

Playing with keyboard and mouse myself, never really played with a controller part from when played the Sonic & All-Stars Racing. :P

Would posting a few hints be appreciated for others or to much of spoilers ??  Would mostly be things that are useful, although makes it a bit easier as well I guess. :huh::P

10 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

I found the first part where you following Duras is like a tutorial run, especially since he doing so much damage against the monsters you meeting.  Later when I went out by myself it was totally different, for me at least. :P

The first place is really huge, was so much to find and many quests.  Once you get a companion things will be a bit easier as well when running into monsters.  In regards to talking with NCP's, I started doing quick saves before talking with them, incase I would "make them TO upset" with me. :o

Playing with keyboard and mouse myself, never really played with a controller part from when played the Sonic & All-Stars Racing. :P

Would posting a few hints be appreciated for others or to much of spoilers ??  Would mostly be things that are useful, although makes it a bit easier as well I guess. :huh::P

I have now played 7 hours and have a companion. It does help. You are correct, when you go out on your own it is harder. However the radiation storms killed me four or five times. Did not expect that. I also got way off the map and didn't know it. I am trying to complete a quest, but ran into the guy who stole my armor so I guess I need to do that.

For the most part the game is solid. There was some stutter when I started this morning and my computer has dropped my mouse four times, but otherwise normal operations. The game did not mess with my mouse, the plug keeps popping out. Nvidia is also doing strange new things like taking snapshots every time I get killed.

I usually ask NPCs everything. No one has killed me yet. As far as tips? well, the game is pretty self explanatory. Lots of stuff I don't know, but my skill level is so low I can't do a lot of things. Maybe a tip on making money if you know one. But just put spoilers in the hidden spoiler tab.

Edited by Cryzeteur

8 minutes ago, Cryzeteur said:

I have now played 7 hours and have a companion. It does help. You are correct, when you go out on your own it is harder. However the radiation storms killed me four or five times. Did not expect that. I also got way off the map and didn't know it. I am trying to complete a quest, but ran into the guy who stole my armor so I guess I need to do that.

For the most part the game is solid. There was some stutter when I started this morning and my computer has dropped my mouse four times, but otherwise normal operations. The game did not mess with my mouse, the plug keeps popping out. Nvidia is also doing strange new things like taking snapshots every time I get killed.

I usually ask NPCs everything. No one has killed me yet. As far as tips? well, the game is pretty self explanatory. Lots of stuff I don't know, but my skill level is so low I can't do a lot of things. Maybe a tip on making money if you know one. But just put spoilers in the hidden spoiler tab.

Yes, there is radiation and poisonous areas (it is actually fixed areas, so no sudden storms like in Fallout 4), normally there is a bit of a sound warning, like a "crackling" sound or such.  Different ways to withstand those areas is some food has resistance against it and there usual some anti-toxin around such areas as well, especially if it is houses or more open places.  If in the wilderness then there wont be any laying around.  You will also find rings that has 10% resistance against poison, radiation, fire or frost. 

In regards to Ray, you don't actually have to do his quest right away.  After I meet him he left for The Fort and I did alot of other things before I got there.  Is it Duras you have as a companion or you found one of the others ?

Yeah, I get a bit of stutter when I start the game the first time but it is gone like 2-3 seconds later, so personally not to bothered with it.  That snapshot thing sounds a bit weird, but I am using AMD card so not experienced it myself though. :P

As for making money, here is a couple of suggestions.

Spoiler

Get Animal Trophies as soon as possible.  You learn it from a Survival Trainer and the first one you need 15 Dexterity and 15 Intelligence (think it was that).  You get more stuff dropped from animals which later can be sold off.  Just don't sell everything at once, some of the things that drops are used in crafting later.  Like bones for a soup, and other for upgrading weapons, depending which faction you be going later in game.  Maybe save up to 20 of all then sell what's above it.

And if it is not against your playing style - Get the Pickpocket skill, learned from a Crafting Trainer.  25 Dexterity and 15 Cunning for that one.  Then in sneak mode you can pick pocket Elexit from people, works best if you sleep to midnight and then walk around, just make sure no one is around when you enter sneak mode or it will be comment upon.  Anytime you try to pick pocket someone though, quick save before since if discovered there is only attack mode on the NCP's. :o:P  Also, slightly similar.  If stealing don't bother you, anything you take, even if it says "Forbidden" on the items, if no one sees you taking it, once it is in your inventory it becomes a normal item.  Not like in Skyrim where it is labelled "stolen".

In regards to the pick pocket skill, if it is taken you probably be getting it from Alrik in Goliet.  Come back later around midnight when he is asleep, enter sneak mode and just peek around the door corner.  He sleeping in the bed closest to the door, then pick pocket him on the sunglasses he has.  The description on them is: **Temporarily makes living things easier to see.** (people and animals, not mutants though) and plants.  They can be bought but cost 2,500 Elexit.  I found those very useful to avoid animals in the beginning and also picking all plants, some which you later can sell because you be having more then you need.

Mugs, toilet paper, cutlery and plates, brooms, toys, cigarettes, bundle of old world money, chalice, oil lamp, hammer and unusable first aid kit can all be sold.  I only seen one item needed, 1 Fine Dining Knife was needed to upgrade a bow I think, but it be a while before you can upgrade them and there is plenty of them around.  If in a hurry, can be bought back for 5 Elexit. :P  I also been selling all Alb spells that you find occasionally, although you can actually use those if you want.  But you get 30 elexit per pcs so they add up.

Later on, if you take Haggling, you will be getting a 5% discount from vendors on the first level of it, then 10% on the second level.

If you already decided what kind of weapon you going for, you can always sell everything else.  I already new I wasn't going to be using two handed weapons so been selling those as soon as I could.

Ok, it turned out to be quiet a wall of text on the subject. :huh:

In regards to the Attributes, they don't actually do much more then letting you pick the different skills and be able to use weapons.  An example is Strength: **Strength represents your physical power.  It increases melee damage and unlocks items and abilities** <= That description is slightly misleading since it wont increase your melee damage, all it does is when raising it is for you to be able to use better weapons, or get a skill that needs x amount of Strength.  Not as in Fallout 3 or NV, where it actually increased your damage (if I remember right).  Same goes for the other Attributes.  (Hopefully I am making some sense explaining this)

8 hours ago, Beuwolf said:

Yes, there is ...

I am not sure how much it will change my play style... probably not mush. But this info answers several questions I had. The game seems to force you into low level for a very long time. Most games, you get to level 20 well before 20 hours of play. Skyrim, I can get to level 20 in about 2 hours of play. 

I think the standard reason is that game developers expect players to play for say 100 hours so they pace the game so in 100 hours you are maxed at level 100 and the game is over.

Skyrim id different. It is fun to play even when you have maxed all attributes at 100. Monsters are easier of course, but it is still fun.

In Elex, after 7 hours of play I am barely starting level 4 and all of my attributes are less than 20. And I am still working on my first quest... solving the murder. Elex is very slow going.

The world is very well designed. It is strange and beautiful. It reminds me of a cross between Skyrim and Fallout 4 with maybe some No Man's Land thrown in. It is sort of what I thought the next huge Bethesda sword and sorcery RPG game would be.

The dialogue in Elex is interesting. Although most NPCs say almost nothing, those who talk talk a lot and are extremely well voiced. The characters are fascinating. It is unbelievable that such a small studio put together such a good game. Kind of like the effort put into Enderal. In fact Elex reminds me a lot of Enderal. 

I think Gopher would enjoy playing Elex. He would love the jet pack.

I would love to watch Gopher using the bow. I kept losing arrows pulling the right trigger instead of the left.

Edited by Cryzeteur

1 minute ago, Cryzeteur said:

I am not sure how much it will change my play style... probably not mush. But this info answers several questions I had. The game seems to force you into low level for a very long time. Most games, you get to level 20 well before 20 hours of play. Skyrim, I can get to level 20 in about 2 hours of play.  After 7 hours of play I am barely starting level 4 and all of my attributes are less than 20. And I am still working on my first quest... solving the murder. Elex is very slow going.

Best way to level up is to doing quests.  If you run around in Goliet, there is several smaller quest in there, like fetching a beer for someone, helping out in a fight (but you can just watch, still get the exp as if you helped).  Finding a missing person and other small ones, some of them giving almost 1k experience.  The quest for solving the murder make you have to move rather far away, but it is still doable.

I don't remember how much I played once I reached level 4, but right now I have put in 93,5 hours and I am halfway through level 25. :o  And still not picked a faction.  Then again, I am running around everywhere, picking up all quests I can find (and some just starting by you doing something within another quest, or exploring an area.)

Try not putting a few points in each Attribute each time you level.  Check the Abilities and go for what you fell suits you best, then rinse and repeat mainly.  Also have to remember to check the weapons, if you have a better one but missing a couple points in one Attribute, might be worth putting them there even if it is not what you aiming for ?  But you have loads of similar experience from Betsheda games so pretty sure I am preaching to the choir. gopherVaultStiv

16 minutes ago, Beuwolf said:

Best way to level up is to doing quests.  If you run around in Goliet, there is several smaller quest in there, like fetching a beer for someone, helping out in a fight (but you can just watch, still get the exp as if you helped).  Finding a missing person and other small ones, some of them giving almost 1k experience.  The quest for solving the murder make you have to move rather far away, but it is still doable.

I don't remember how much I played once I reached level 4, but right now I have put in 93,5 hours and I am halfway through level 25. :o  And still not picked a faction.  Then again, I am running around everywhere, picking up all quests I can find (and some just starting by you doing something within another quest, or exploring an area.)

Try not putting a few points in each Attribute each time you level.  Check the Abilities and go for what you fell suits you best, then rinse and repeat mainly.  Also have to remember to check the weapons, if you have a better one but missing a couple points in one Attribute, might be worth putting them there even if it is not what you aiming for ?  But you have loads of similar experience from Betsheda games so pretty sure I am preaching to the choir. gopherVaultStiv

Actually, because I am playing RPG style, I have to do what ever my character's mind is set on... so I am stuck helping out as I come to a problem... like going to the Fort and then returning to the murder case. I promised so that is what I will do.

As for attribute points... I have an ax I can't use so I am putting my points into that. I would love to get crafting, so that is my goal. I also want to do magic so I plan on finishing up a couple of quests and then heading northeast. I have heard of a guild up there that practices magic. I like Duras but my heart is still on my robot companion.

I've seen this game on Steam, but haven't bought it yet. 

Problem is, I'm not a huge fan of hack-and-slash games, and I'm afraid this might be less RPG and more hack-and-slash. 

Someone set me straight. :)

Edited by Snake Doctor