Jump to content
Gopher's Minions
GrogStache

Putting a gaming PC in the Millennium Falcon

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Woodclaw said:

I'm still running a Nvidia GTX970 card, not a 10th generation GPU. Also I'm running on a double hard drive, one SSD for the operating system and the essential software (i.e. antivirus and drivers) which gave me extra fast starting times (10 seconds to reboot) and one traditional HDD for archiving datas. A lot of people use the SSD for gaming as well, but I prefer not to since it shorten its operative life considerably.

Sounds very like my system. I accidentally bought a GTX970 when I went to the store to buy a 1070 on sale... When I paid for it I thought it was cheaper than I expected but wasn't thinking... Started installing and noticed it was a 970... Might have taken it back but I had already torn everything apart. I really do not like to exchange stuff I have torn apart. 

I like using my SSD for the operating system. It does speed the machine up. It is running at an average of 3.51 Ghz. The SSD is 500 GB.

I tore the fan out of the case and have a larger fan sitting on top

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea of an SSD in tandem with a regular HDD is pretty neat actually. It seems like the hybrid drive I chose was the smallest form factor solution when I designed the build. I'll have to see if the PSU will allow for two drives (space-wise and energy consumption-wise). Looking into the hybrids, it does seem like very little memory is SSD-style flash memory. I can't find the actual number either, which gives me pause.

If I'm building my own rig, what's the process of getting the two to work in harmony?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GrogStache said:

The idea of an SSD in tandem with a regular HDD is pretty neat actually. It seems like the hybrid drive I chose was the smallest form factor solution when I designed the build. I'll have to see if the PSU will allow for two drives (space-wise and energy consumption-wise). Looking into the hybrids, it does seem like very little memory is SSD-style flash memory. I can't find the actual number either, which gives me pause.

If I'm building my own rig, what's the process of getting the two to work in harmony?

Shouldn't be a problem. The motherboard takes care of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update!

I have "the item" in my possession. I also got a Slave 1 along with it. Totally taking suggestions on ideas for how that should be modded. Maybe a streaming device? I have yet to clear living room usage with the wife, however.

Also, if I want to share pictures of the progress, is that possible here with the file size limit? How should I best keep you guys informed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 1:28 AM, Woodclaw said:

I'm still running a Nvidia GTX970 card, not a 10th generation GPU. Also I'm running on a double hard drive, one SSD for the operating system and the essential software (i.e. antivirus and drivers) which gave me extra fast starting times (10 seconds to reboot) and one traditional HDD for archiving datas. A lot of people use the SSD for gaming as well, but I prefer not to since it shorten its operative life considerably.

My SSD runs everything OS, games, websurfing. If I remove a game I archive the saves to a HDD. My SSD is 3 years old now and being retired my PC is on and in use about 16 hours per day. 4 to 10 of those hours is usually playing video games. Maybe when SSD first came out they wore out fast but I don't think so any more. I consider my SSD a consummable and will replace it when required.

 

EDIT: SSD 500GB Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA-III

36340597883_abe480aaac_c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi OutandBack,

That's really interesting info! As I'll be basically fashioning or adapting my own mounts for everything in the case, I'm not sure how easily accessible/swappable any parts will be. That leads me to want a more reliably long-term setup, but your SSD sure does look a-ok still. Food for thought!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, OutandBack said:

My SSD runs everything OS, games, websurfing. If I remove a game I archive the saves to a HDD. My SSD is 3 years old now and being retired my PC is on and in use about 16 hours per day. 4 to 10 of those hours is usually playing video games. Maybe when SSD first came out they wore out fast but I don't think so any more. I consider my SSD a consummable and will replace it when required

Also retired and my schedule is much as yours. I had to replace my SSD this year so they do wear out. That is why I have my STEAM folder on a separate partition of my HD.

How long did my SSD last? I can't remember. Maybe 5 years. However, the replacement was only $90.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GrogStache said:

Hi OutandBack,

That's really interesting info! As I'll be basically fashioning or adapting my own mounts for everything in the case, I'm not sure how easily accessible/swappable any parts will be. That leads me to want a more reliably long-term setup, but your SSD sure does look a-ok still. Food for thought!

I'd go with a good brand name SSD. I would not buy the cheap no name brands. I believe that old saying "you get what you pay for" applies here. Oh another comment I could not be happier with the speed a full SSD gaming PC. Load time are in blinks of the eye. No more getting up to refill the coffee cup, haha

Moving the Pwr Supply to a base would help get ride of a lot of heat.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, as I look at storage,

If I'm going to be using an SSD and an HDD separately (likely games would go on the HDD in this scenario), how big an SSD do I really want to look for? If games and such are on the HDD, what size SSD is wasteful?

Also: I think a good 1 TB HDD would be fine for that portion of the build. Maybe even in a laptop 7mm x 2.5 inch form factor? Those seem to have a cache of 32 MB max though. I'm guessing the SSD can't be used to bolster that memory capacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GrogStache said:

So, as I look at storage,

If I'm going to be using an SSD and an HDD separately (likely games would go on the HDD in this scenario), how big an SSD do I really want to look for? If games and such are on the HDD, what size SSD is wasteful?

Also: I think a good 1 TB HDD would be fine for that portion of the build. Maybe even in a laptop 7mm x 2.5 inch form factor? Those seem to have a cache of 32 MB max though. I'm guessing the SSD can't be used to bolster that memory capacity.

You had best find the HHD you want to put in the system and see how much space is left over. I am sure you can get a mini HHD that is a lot smaller than a desktop sized HHD that has a whole lot more memory than 32MB. I think I saw a TB HHD that was about a quarter the size of a regular HHD. Then decide on the SSD or you may want to just use SSD. It all depends on current technology and cost. The last time I looked at this was about 6 months ago and tech changes very fast.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good God, this thread is old. I'm actually starting in on the dremeling process for the Falcon now. I'll share progress pics when I have phase 1 done. Also, I'm working on a plan to reinforce the toy with an endoskeleton. Looking into robotics structural parts for that, but I'd love any suggestions for similar structurally-sound erector sets and the like.

Oh, and I moved across the US in the last few months. Just a small upheaval gopherMoo

Just an update for you fine folks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I repaired the Polaris unit (pool cleaner robot thing) the plastic shell, in my pool, with Loctite 1999131 All Purpose Repair Putty.  You mend it together and it hardens into a drill able, rock hard surface.  While you are mending and molding it, you can push it down into all the nooks and corners.  It also adds a bit of weight.   Just a thought.  I think it would give you good mounting points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Flyddon said:

I repaired the Polaris unit (pool cleaner robot thing) the plastic shell, in my pool, with Loctite 1999131 All Purpose Repair Putty.  You mend it together and it hardens into a drill able, rock hard surface.  While you are mending and molding it, you can push it down into all the nooks and corners.  It also adds a bit of weight.   Just a thought.  I think it would give you good mounting points. 

Nice idea! This would help mount the plastic to the metal at least, and maybe work well to seal the "case" where I'd prefer a lack of airflow. What color does it dry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just added the permalink to the PCPartPicker list to the top of the thread. A lot has changed since my initial concept of the build. I now want to try and squeeze a 1080 into the thing, and I've swapped from Intel to AMD. I'm chiefly wondering if I'm bottlenecking the 1080 too much with a Ryzen 5 2600. I could try and go up a step or so maybe? Also, do any of you fine folks know much RE overclocking a Rysen system? I hear it's pretty limited, and I might not be able to do much anyway thanks to the airflow I'll be able to achieve/not achieve.

I'm also thinking of using a riser board: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7252WV0576&cm_re=pci_riser_card-_-9SIA7252WV0576-_-Product

instead of a riser cable. I have heard all kinds of mixed things about the cables and absolutely nothing positive or negative about the 90 degree board. I think it's a server staple though, so it can't be too awful... right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×