Jump to content
Gopher's Minions
GrogStache

Putting a gaming PC in the Millennium Falcon

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

So I've been progressing in my learning about the task of building a PC. I feel less daunted than before, but I think I'm very much still in the planning phase. One thing I am trying to progress on is the concept of wall-mounting the Falcon. In part, this is so that I can achieve better airflow in the case, and in part it's to LOOK AWESOMES. My ideal way to do this is to reinforce the plastic landing gear in such a way that there is no way for the rig to plummet to the ground, destroying both the fastest ship in the galaxy and my gaming experience. I have two thoughts on this:

ONE: I scan and have steel/aluminum versions of the landing gear 3D printed, with screw holes added in to mount the landing gear to the wall AS anchors.

TWO: Screw that expensive, timely nonsense. I mount the falcon to the wall using a prefab wall-mount, discreetly hidden on the center of the underside of the ship.

 

I would love opinions and worries about both of these ideas, and if you have further options, throw them at me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am from the South and Duck Tape comes to mind !

Assuming you have the landing gear down, I would think sitting as a desk top (on a desk top) would be great.  The landing gears would provide enough room for air flow underneath.  Plus you have to consider cable management and you could use the usb, power cable and KB/mouse cables  as refueling hose and APU power connections.

A Diorama.

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Flyddon said:

Well I am from the South and Duck Tape comes to mind !

Assuming you have the landing gear down, I would think sitting as a desk top (on a desk top) would be great.  The landing gears would provide enough room for air flow underneath.  Plus you have to consider cable management and you could use the usb, power cable and KB/mouse cables  as refueling hose and APU power connections.

A Diorama.

 

Don

I assumed remote keyboard and mouse, but you still have power cable and monitor cable and speakers?/headphones? to worry about. What about peripherals?

As to mounting... I am not going to be responsible for making a suggestion that crashes the whole thing into a pile of rubble. :huh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2017 at 4:59 PM, Flyddon said:

Well I am from the South and Duck Tape comes to mind !

Assuming you have the landing gear down, I would think sitting as a desk top (on a desk top) would be great.  The landing gears would provide enough room for air flow underneath.  Plus you have to consider cable management and you could use the usb, power cable and KB/mouse cables  as refueling hose and APU power connections.

A Diorama.

 

Don

Hey Don,

I might end up with the diorama option as my fail-safe. Right now I kinda want the ship to be mounted on the wall above and behind the monitor so people see it as they walk into the office. All lit up, it might look super sweet :D

On 8/16/2017 at 5:08 PM, Cryzeteur said:

As to mounting... I am not going to be responsible for making a suggestion that crashes the whole thing into a pile of rubble. :huh:

Haha, I don't want to be responsible for that either! My current "safe plan" is to use a manufactured mount like this one attached to the ship's belly, and to fix the rear landing gear to the wall as stabilizers, without relying on them for load-bearing. Meh? Feels kinda stable. feels kinda aesthetically pleasing. (again, meh?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GrogStache said:

Hey Don,

I might end up with the diorama option as my fail-safe. Right now I kinda want the ship to be mounted on the wall above and behind the monitor so people see it as they walk into the office. All lit up, it might look super sweet :D

Haha, I don't want to be responsible for that either! My current "safe plan" is to use a manufactured mount like this one attached to the ship's belly, and to fix the rear landing gear to the wall as stabilizers, without relying on them for load-bearing. Meh? Feels kinda stable. feels kinda aesthetically pleasing. (again, meh?)

This whole project is sounding more and more like a StarWars studio set... :lol:

Edited by Cryzeteur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×