Jump to content
Gopher's Minions
GrogStache

Putting a gaming PC in the Millennium Falcon

Recommended Posts

So, I recently thought I was going to inherit a PC from my work. I was stoked, thinking maybe it would be a good head start on a gaming rig. Sadly, that did not happen. What did happen was my being gifted both a Slave One and a Millennium Falcon. 

Now, ever since I was a tech writer and did a feature on this Falcon PC case mod, I've wanted to build it for myself... altered to be sturdy enough to wall mount. It also needs a bit of updating, parts-wise. 

So basically, am I insane? 

Here's the Falcon model in question : https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Electronic-Millennium-Falcon/dp/B000LRKTZ8

 

Theoretical parts list (I have little idea what I'm doing):

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 GAMING-ITX/AC LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Motherboards - Intel

Intel Core i5-7600K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.8 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I57600K Desktop Processor

Mini ITX/ Flex ATX 80 PLUS Gold 400W power supply for standard server, advanced server, NAS system

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R

Noctua NH-L9i 95mm SSO2 CPU Cooler

GPU ideas:

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 12 ZT-P10510E-10L 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card

or

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3GB GV-N1060IXOC-3GD Video Card (larger, faster)

or

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GV-N1070IXOC-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card (largest, fastest)

Hard Drive ideas:

Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Notebooks / Laptops Internal Hard Drive ST2000LX001

or

Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 2.5" 1TB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDRE1TB (pricey, but smaller and all SSD)

 

Also: http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/ (paint for case interior?)

Edited by GrogStache
Added to parts list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pictures make it look like there is not enough room for a GTX1080 with motherboard so I would not waste the time on it.

I was partner in a PC shop back in the '90s with a retired rocket scientist. So, it could be fun if you just want to do it. But if you have limited funds and are not an electronics genius I would not put them into something that could get you into a mess.

Edited by Cryzeteur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeancly: Me either, man. I just might be nuts (don't tell Shawn).

Cryzeteur: That is some sound advice. I would definitely need to do a lot of cutting away of the insides of the thing. Still not sure if it would have the space. I do already have a vintage 80s Falcon though so this thing is basically just sitting around waiting to be messed with now. Basically, I'm just sitting around contemplating the options. I am tempted though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GrogStache said:

Jeancly: Me either, man. I just might be nuts (don't tell Shawn).

Cryzeteur: That is some sound advice. I would definitely need to do a lot of cutting away of the insides of the thing. Still not sure if it would have the space. I do already have a vintage 80s Falcon though so this thing is basically just sitting around waiting to be messed with now. Basically, I'm just sitting around contemplating the options. I am tempted though.

If it is for fun... go for it... 

Even if it never works you will probably learn a lot...  :P

Reminds me of the time I built my own circuit board. It never worked but was a lot of fun. And it almost worked... maybe ...:) 

Edited by Cryzeteur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cryzeteur, you're super entertaining! I'm both tickled and terrified about your comments, and I'm sure both reactions are correct, hahaha.

Also, I did some Googling and found two more builds which I think represent the earliest and most recent versions of the Falcon PC. New guy here (note that he's using the biggest possible Falcon model, which I do not have) and old guy here. Both have some neat ideas about cooling the computer and the new guy actually snuck in a GPU that's a bit bigger than I was thinking possible by using a pcie riser. That might be useful info down the line!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this just happen....  I told my wife what you are thinking about doing.  I had to remind her what the Millennium Falcon  was and then she said   "Is it going to be full size?"

After screaming at me for a minute to stop laughing, she said, I meant is the computer going to be a full size, real operating computer. :P    I then told her yes and  that the space ship was also going to be life size, but it was going to take you a few weeks to build.

She hates me now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always wanted to build something like this but I've never been able to figure out what to build the computer into and don't really have the skills right now.  Or the money come to think of it.  I'll probably start with a pretty basic build a computer into a desk when I can afford it.

Good luck and I hope the computer is everything you hope it will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Flyddon said:

So this just happen....  I told my wife what you are thinking about doing.  I had to remind her what the Millennium Falcon  was and then she said   "Is it going to be full size?"

After screaming at me for a minute to stop laughing, she said, I meant is the computer going to be a full size, real operating computer. :P    I then told her yes and  that the space ship was also going to be life size, but it was going to take you a few weeks to build.

She hates me now.

 

Flyddon, this is the funniest damn thing. Also, I don't think you had any choice but to respond that way. I hope your couch is comfy.

TiDinzeo, thanks so much for the kind words! I've wanted to do this for a long time too, and I originally had a few ideas (a Tardis, a Steampunk mod, building a PC onto my tv) but this one just kept coming back as my fave idea. That and the precident of these existing already kinda makes the anxiety go away. Plus, for the foreseeable future, it might just be me, a dremmel, wire mesh, and some sandpaper. At least for that time period, things will be affordable :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, GrogStache said:

Uh... I swear I'm not falsely bumping my thread. I just found this and I wanted to make note of it. Sounds exactly like what I might want to do: https://techbuyersguru.com/1500-ultra-compact-mini-itx-pc-build

It is pretty amazing, but the new chips run so cool that you can condense the space considerably and even put them in cell phones. Personally these builds are far beyond my skill level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:25 AM, TiDinzeo said:

I've always wanted to build something like this but I've never been able to figure out what to build the computer into and don't really have the skills right now.  Or the money come to think of it.  I'll probably start with a pretty basic build a computer into a desk when I can afford it.

Good luck and I hope the computer is everything you hope it will be.

In 1959 I made a flying saucer shell out of fiber glass and was building a computer that I wanted to put in it to control it but of course that was way before it was possible. Besides, my computer had no transistors and used linked circuits for timing. It was also built out of nails wrapped in wire for electromagnets! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

In 1959 I made a flying saucer shell out of fiber glass and was building a computer that I wanted to put in it to control it but of course that was way before it was possible. Besides, my computer had no transistors and used linked circuits for timing. It was also built out of nails wrapped in wire for electromagnets! :P

Wow! That sounds like some seriously involved stuff. If you'd gotten that thing going, you would have caused many a false UFO sighting, I'm sure of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

In 1959 I made a flying saucer shell out of fiber glass and was building a computer that I wanted to put in it to control it but of course that was way before it was possible. Besides, my computer had no transistors and used linked circuits for timing. It was also built out of nails wrapped in wire for electromagnets! :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMh3gkRg0w&ab_channel=MikeMasterpieceDiNozzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GrogStache said:

Wow! That sounds like some seriously involved stuff. If you'd gotten that thing going, you would have caused many a false UFO sighting, I'm sure of it.

Looking back on it... it was so primitive it was more a high school kids dream... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jeancly said:

The funny thing is that I wrote seasons two and three of Mac Gyver. I based all his gimmicks on things that I had tried... :lol:

More than one time I came close to blowing my head off...

Do not try this at home...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cryzeteur said:

The funny thing is that I wrote seasons two and three of Mac Gyver. I based all his gimmicks on things that I had tried... :lol:

More than one time I came close to blowing my head off...

Do not try this at home...

you serious ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

The funny thing is that I wrote seasons two and three of Mac Gyver. I based all his gimmicks on things that I had tried... :lol:

More than one time I came close to blowing my head off...

Do not try this at home...

Dude, that's great! As a work-a- day writer myself, that's a good gig. Steady work for two seasons and a bit of that T.V. money is kinda the dream. Well done! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×