Gopher's Minions

Hello, Multigk Here!

So I feel like a lot of people wanna hang out, and have activities for groups to do together.

Some Minions have tried to make this happen over in The Crossroads and has for the most part failed as an endeavor.
There is too much history, nostalgia, and the crossroads was never well planned to be something like this in the first place.\

And so this forum is to gather minions together in the enterprise of making a new PLACE (not sure what kind of place) for us to hang, chat, have fun, and do other things.

The Purposes of this topic/forum are as follows:

1) To agree on where this place should be, and to plan it out together, this place is to be planned and built with the intention of being a place TO GATHER with others.

2) To discuss what should be at this place: There have been many suggestions, I mainly want this place to be a common/meeting place, others have suggested a theme park, a trading area, even an arena. These are all good ideas, but I'm not sure they are absolutely NEEDED for this to work.

3) To discuss if we even need this, I really do think a meeting place, made for meeting from the start and well planned and what not could be a benefit to the server. :)

4) I might add reasons in the future as needed after further discussion. Also I may tag people if they would like this? Not sure.

Concepts so far:  (These depend upon individual interest. and more may or may not be added.)

The Meeting Area itself
Nether Portal/Slipstream Access (Though I don't think most people use slipstream) (Of Course) (Thanks Starling for the nether idea.)
"Build Parks" (A term from Bunyun, basically places anyone can build at any time, that anyone can edit)
Parkour
Building Competition Area (Think "Build Wars", with an area for a crowd to watch, and big blank areas for building in said competitions)
Potentially a Dynamic PVP Arena (Shifting ground, water, Cover..... explosions!)
Rented Exhibition Space (A managed space, that you can rent for a period of time to build, each build will be altered after each rent cycle so the space stays dynamic.)
Potential King of the Ladder (Minigame)
Potential Elytra Course

STRAWPOLL!!! LET US KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE, THINK, OR WANT! 

http://www.strawpoll.me/13644119

Edited by Multigk
Added Potential Concepts, Added a link to the Strawpoll

OK first off we have sooooo many common places why not make an uncommon place ;p haha and away we go. So I am all for this and I suggest an events space. Sosinchin built a horse track and held a race and that was great fun. But we need a dedicated space with event held regularly. Many months ago I hosted a dirt house contest and while there where only three entries it was still a fun event. Having a large space for these type of things would be a great idea. So space to build whatever we need for the event. Including space for building events. Ubberblox invited me to a server that has quick build challenges where the teams of two players all have the same topic and then they have a time limit to build them. This type of idea would be harder in survival mode but surely we could come up with something of the sort. I think the main thing with an idea of this sort is regular invites to scheduled events. Even if its just a trivia night where we all hang out while someone throws out trivia in chat. 

Love ya Shawn, these are amazing ideas :)

Hmm, maybe i should make a list post, ill probably add a list of deas to the original post, but i like your idea, and even if its not as complex as the server you speak of, a mini version of that gamemode could be really fun :D

We have a few PVP arenas but from what I hear they're generally pretty flat spaces. I was thinking we could have an arena with some unusual terrain, like elevation, environmental hazards or a spot made with elytra dogfights in mind. Whatever type of arena it ends up being, it needs a spot for spectators should they wish to watch.

Another idea I had was some kind of dungeon but I don't have a unified design in mind. It could either be done with a redmine ticket for custom spawners to be a combat oriented challenge or be done entirely by player means with only natural spawns to work with. Which one it is would affect the design.

Not sure if it's still in demand or how many we already have but you could put a spleef arena there as well.

For the building challenge space you'd have to figure out how big a space you'd need for the various challenge ideas and how many entries to accommodate for. That and the dungeon would probably be on the outskirts depending on what buildings get put there. There'd also have to be a cake pedestal and an event board. The actual building location can wait until there's a clear enough idea of the layout to actually start building. Transportation isn't too big an issue as long as you connect to the nether highway and slipstream.

6 minutes ago, Starling said:

We have a few PVP arenas but from what I hear they're generally pretty flat spaces. I was thinking we could have an arena with some unusual terrain, like elevation, environmental hazards or a spot made with elytra dogfights in mind. Whatever type of arena it ends up being, it needs a spot for spectators should they wish to watch.

Another idea I had was some kind of dungeon but I don't have a unified design in mind. It could either be done with a redmine ticket for custom spawners to be a combat oriented challenge or be done entirely by player means with only natural spawns to work with. Which one it is would affect the design.

Not sure if it's still in demand or how many we already have but you could put a spleef arena there as well.

For the building challenge space you'd have to figure out how big a space you'd need for the various challenge ideas and how many entries to accommodate for. That and the dungeon would probably be on the outskirts depending on what buildings get put there. There'd also have to be a cake pedestal and an event board. The actual building location can wait until there's a clear enough idea of the layout to actually start building. Transportation isn't too big an issue as long as you connect to the nether highway and slipstream.

all good ideas starling i think we should have a bit of it all right? just an arena makes us one in a million, I'm starting to think this place will have to be a tiyn bit far out, and it will need alot of claim blocks, in the ceneter would be a big space, with planned straight roads, and areas for games, attractions, and perhaps stores, though i would say we remove stores if players dont watch them, one of my biggest ruels is gonna be no stagnant places, arenas and games dont have to change cause they can be fun as they are.

We will see how the logistics of all of this works as time goes on but thanks for the suggestions.

i wanna make sure some of this stuff inst stupid difficult for unforeseen reasons 

18 minutes ago, Starling said:

be done entirely by player means with only natural spawns to work with

If you go out to 4656 / -848 klink has his build the big circle like area. He has removed all lights inside and it is quite terrifying to run around in, spawns everywhere. Take a torch in your off hand and be careful. Or just ask him to show you around when you see him he is pretty active. And I agree about the pvp arenas its all just flat having terrain and obstacles would be cool. 

Just now, ShawnBoucher said:

If you go out to 4656 / -848 klink has his build the big circle like area. He has removed all lights inside and it is quite terrifying to run around in, spawns everywhere. Take a torch in your off hand and be careful. Or just ask him to show you around when you see him he is pretty active. And I agree about the pvp arenas its all just flat having terrain and obstacles would be cool. 

shawn you keep pointing people elsewhere, I'm trying to make a place. lol

Looking for a spot won't do much good until there's a clear building plan. Messing around on a creative world in single player can be great for inspiration and I'm sure you're already putting together a list of which ideas you want to make use of. There's also the general aesthetic of the place and if you're building anything in height to keep in mind. For the store Idea I'd recommend making a marketplace type of area with subdivided claim lots for each you can rend out to players for either a set period of time. If they don't renew the loan then the lot is open for someone else to manage. You'd have to have a system for advance notice on prolonged absences but having the lots last a few months at a time should work. That way you have a dynamic area whether new "shopkeepers" rebuild the whole lot or just decorate what was already there.

3 minutes ago, Starling said:

is that the whirlpool? It sounds like it's fine as it is if you want to just get lost in the minecraft equivalent of the bermuda triangle for a self-imposed survival challenge

no its just one of the buildings on his build. But having it all dark creates the mobs and because its claimed your only light is with your torch if you have optifine that is. Otherwise you would need to have see in the dark potions for people. 

Yeah, i was hoping not to become "the guy maknig a big place" casue im a slower minecraft builder, im crowdsourcing ideas, and i hope some peopel even tag along to help :)

As far as plans, were not near, theres probably plenty of places and space, i think mission one should be to choose what we want there, then where it should be, then how it should be laid out and look :D

10 minutes ago, ShawnBoucher said:

no its just one of the buildings on his build. But having it all dark creates the mobs and because its claimed your only light is with your torch if you have optifine that is. Otherwise you would need to have see in the dark potions for people. 

There're some things you can do with custom spawners you can't do with natural spawns, such as spawn guardians outside of an ocean monument, get consistent mobs of a specific type even if not available from a naturally generated spawner (ex: Creeper hell) or make stuff spawn with stuff like diamond armour or special arrows. You could make the combat substantially harder than usual for those craving a bigger challenge. The spawners would also ensure better spawn rates if you want it to be like a horde challenge where you try to survive until you make it to the other end. It can also be a purely puzzle oriented dungeon or a mix of both, depending on what's more appealing to active players. Building separate dungeons for both types in the same space might be a bit much. I think a tower will probably work best either way. Also keep in mind I'd try to design it so the combat isn't too brutal and you have some safe spots to catch your breath. I've been thinking about it for a while so I'm definitely going to have some fun with it.

8 minutes ago, Multigk said:

Yeah, i was hoping not to become "the guy maknig a big place" casue im a slower minecraft builder, im crowdsourcing ideas, and i hope some peopel even tag along to help :)

As far as plans, were not near, theres probably plenty of places and space, i think mission one should be to choose what we want there, then where it should be, then how it should be laid out and look :D

That's why you get a building partner and set generous goals. I've been wanting to start a project like that so I'll gladly help. I recommend exploring along the slipstream for real estate. It's quite fast and if you need to split up the builds it can serve as a road between them. Also since there'll probably be a nether portal remember that you can make it different shapes and sizes if you get creative with it.

1 minute ago, Starling said:

There're some things you can do with custom spawners you can't do with natural spawns, such as spawn guardians outside of an ocean monument, get consistent mobs of a specific type even if not available from a naturally generated spawner (ex: Creeper hell) or make stuff spawn with stuff like diamond armour or special arrows. You could make the combat substantially harder than usual for those craving a bigger challenge. The spawners would also ensure better spawn rates if you want it to be like a horde challenge where you try to survive until you make it to the other end. It can also be a purely puzzle oriented dungeon or a mix of both, depending on what's more appealing to active players. Building separate dungeons for both types in the same space might be a bit much. I think a tower will probably work best either way. Also keep in mind I'd try to design it so the combat isn't too brutal and you have some safe spots to catch your breath. I've been thinking about it for a while so I'm definitely going to have some fun with it.

That's why you get a building partner and set generous goals. I've been wanting to start a project like that so I'll gladly help. I recommend exploring along the slipstream for real estate. It's quite fast and if you need to split up the builds it can serve as a road between them. Also since there'll probably be a nether portal remember that you can make it different shapes and sizes if you get creative with it.

Yeah my home nether portal is like an oblivion gate.
Are you saying i should look for real estate already? i wouldn't want to get this rolling before others can give their "2 cents" if you know what i mean. 

I'm having too much fun with the bold function. :D

You brought up concerns of not having enough space and the slipstream offers the best accessibility no matter how far out it is so if you find a really nice spot you can claim it for later and leave it if it turns out not to be suitable once plans are finalized.

5 minutes ago, Starling said:

You brought up concerns of not having enough space and the slipstream offers the best accessibility no matter how far out it is so if you find a really nice spot you can claim it for later and leave it if it turns out not to be suitable once plans are finalized.

oh i know i just dont wanna be choosing FOR people ya know thats all? 

i will probably search for a place, but its hard to know what place to choose if we dont know exactly whats going into this en-devour

i suck at spelling sometimes lol  

Holy crap, To think this all started on a thread about lag. I just caught up with all the new stuff so my brain is gelatin now.

I'm probably going to back out of these now, as I can barely keep track of what you guys are saying anymore- but I'll toss in my two cents while I'm here. You might see me again, who knows.

Keeping lag down- wherever we build it- should be a priority. This could mean a lot of pre-planning to prevent too many entities/beacons/whatever else from becoming  concentrated and slowing down older systems. Accessibility is key here- The world tree is badass with a lot of functionality, but it melts some computers so people with those computers never bother to go there. Like, apparently there's a market thing in the basement? I didn't even know that and I have a room in there, neither did Zanth.  0.o

(BTW thanks again Jean!)

Another thing: ease of access. This can be solved easy if we get a warp point, but in case we don't we should keep that in mind.

Anyway, that's it form me for a while- I'm 'gunna actually go play on the server as opposed to just talk about it.

Edited by Xeredek
Curse you, typos!

The basement levels have storage chests for everything, some crops and a place for Gopher that he never saw because he only went to the upper levels. It's a bit cramped because of the low ceilings and being in the roots but it's there for your needs. The chests are all empty due to no one restocking/donating stuff to restock it with though. The ideas for the place are probably getting compiled on the opening post so be sure to at least check on that every now and then.

Whether because of mob spawning, puzzle mechanisms or potential renovations, I think the dungeon should be on the outskirts should it be built there. The stuff that's either going to stay the same or remain in a set lot size would probably be best suited to be in the middle. We could have a garden with statue spots of varying sizes and a map art gallery that gets rotated periodically to avoid having too many item frames in one spot. We can tally up how many entities are involved in a particular build and set some caps in the lots if needed to figure out how to space things evenly.

17 minutes ago, Xeredek said:

Holy crap, To think this all started on a thread about lag. I just caught up with all the new stuff so my brain is gelatin now.

I'm probably going to back out of these now, as I can barely keep track of what you guys are saying anymore- but I'll toss in my two cents while I'm here. You might see me again, who knows.

Keeping lag down- wherever we build it- should be a priority. This could mean a lot of pre-planning to prevent too many entities/beacons/whatever else from becoming  concentrated and slowing down older systems. Accessibility is key here- The world tree is badass with a lot of functionality, but it melts some computers so people with those computers never bother to go there. Like, apparently there's a market thing in the basement? I didn't even know that and I have a room in there, neither did Zanth.  0.o

(BTW thanks again Jean!)

Another thing: ease of access. This can be solved easy if we get a warp point, but in case we don't we should keep that in mind.

Anyway, that's it form me for a while- I'm 'gunna actually go play on the server as opposed to just talk about it.

heyyyy i play :( 

@Multigk
I in no way mean to upstage you here but I feel like I should make this known (especially as it has an innate relevance to the topic, and I wanted some feedback before proceeding, really what I want to say.... GET ON WITH IT)

Right, well basically @Smartboy53 and I want to create a public space for people to build something as a sort of embassy area to Sucrose Shore. This includes zoning restrictions overall build guidelines and certain requirements must be meant to maintain ownership of space, and so on. Basically it would be a way for me to experiment with urban planning in a more realistic setting than my head. I have been holding off on posting this because I have several fundamental questions yet to answer relative to direction and scope. However, as this drive for public space grows I feel I must speak up.

The location in question is here... [https://minecraft.gophersvids.com/map/?worldname=world&mapname=surface&zoom=5&x=2577&y=64&z=2192]

I mean to go ahead with this idea regardless of player involvement, If I must build it all myself I shall do so happily. However this may dovetail nicely into what you are seeking to accomplish, and I never turn down free PR ;) 

As far as a way to create a reason for people to visit, you must create a truly public space. People desire interaction (for the most part) and the greatest interaction of minecraft is building. I feel any sort of place you are creating should have maybe 3 or 4 'green spaces' set aside (a la Central Park in Manhattan) to have as public building areas. A place where anyone may create anything they wish at any time regardless of what was there. Maybe have one that is rented for a set amount of time and 2 or 3 small spaces that are 100% free to use. If I can find it I am going to link an old study that was done on public spaces that talks about why some public spaces are used and some aren't. If you seek to create a public space I feel its a very good resource on the topic (if somewhat dated). [https://archive.org/details/SmallUrbanSpaces]

I am happy to talk at length on the subject of this embassy space however, not in any formal sense until I have a basic rule structure sorted on building progression.

Very much so, I merely wanted to let you know that I am planning this and so if I post 2 about it 2 hours after you set a space for your project, I wanted to be clear that its not as a counter to what your doing, but has been in the works for several weeks. Still, I am happy to share. If you think there could be enough overlap in our goals to make this work for you, than I am happy to try and meet you halfway. Either way I certainly would like to be a part of the gathering space when it becomes a reality.