Jump to content
Gopher's Minions
Krikkeee

Crossroads revitalizing project: idea tread

Recommended Posts

EDIT: Okay, so I think we slowly need to close this tread because it has been derailed quite a bit (not that it is a bad thing) but I feel we are kinda going around in cirkels here. I'm gonna try to summarize everything that has been somewhat agreed upon in this post, sorry if I missed something.

Crossroads:

  • We are no longer planning to change or revitalize the Xroads, instead we are now kind off planning a new meeting place which will be discussed here:
  • We might however rework the roads (adding signs and stuff)

Spawn/ HUB (new player experience):

  • to make a better experience for new players we would like to add some more info and directions thios could happen in one of the following way's
    • Better signs at spawn or in the HUB
    • Custom advancements to guide players to specific places
    • A welcome book

Roads in general:

  • Add more signs with directions to certain places
  • Name the roads
  • Colour-coded roads
  • Possibly clear out unneeded roads

 

Old post:

Spoiler

 

This tread is meant to bundle an discuss all kind of idea's to revitalize the Xroads. Please don't mention anything concerning the bannerhall, that has been discussed more than enough in other treads.

Non functional builds: Most of them  have a historic value and at the core of the crossroads there aren't really any abandoned or non-ascetically pleasing builds I think

Functional builds for the community:

  • A farm: Larry's farm is probably to close to make a new one
  • Mob-grinders:
    • mostly require spawners which might or might not be there
    • To many mob-grinders in one spot will make them useless due to low spawns...
    • The pigmen-grinder/ gold-farm was shut down by Rodzyn for lag reasons so that's another thing to take in mind
  • MTC: There already is a MTC at the world tree, and although a new one probably wouldn't really hurt, but the original plan was to put it at the crossroads anyway which didn't happen. 
  • A villager-market could be useful but can anyone really outdo Magasai?

Minigames?

The only thing I can think of is create some sort of themepark with a bunch of minigames, but there is almost no free space for that if I remember correctly. As far as I know there once was a plan for something like this don't know why it didn't happen (probably to little space).

  • spleef-arena
  • pvp-arena
  • elytra flight course
  • horse racing
  • ...

 

 

And finally @Vault Memories so he can see this.

 

Edited by Krikkeee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xeredek and I have been thinking that after the one year anniversary of the sever, any old abandoned builds could be recycled and the land can be opened up to new players. I think that this could help bring in new people, not to mention it could clean up the aesthetic of the crossroads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the xroad buildings are beautiful.  So those are not to be removed Imo.  Of course this does not apply to the minion terraces where I wanted to put the MTC and that are still not done. And the place still empty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could always see if some builds can be moved. If anyone active has a build in crossroads they'd be willing to move it would likely take less time than dealing with abandoned ones whose claims are still there. Either we find a good plot for them nearby and ask the admins to move them or we can start a community project to rebuild it there. That way the builds remain on the server in some capacity while allowing the crossroads to get fixed up so it's more newcomer friendly and easier to navigate. Until we can actually do something with the crossroads itself we could start with preparing some good building spots in the general area and make sure the roads are streamlined there. The lights at crossroads are a block too low to keep from taking damage on horseback if you clip them so roads in general could use some refurbishing to make sure they're entirely horse friendly and easy to navigate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Starling said:

We could always see if some builds can be moved. If anyone active has a build in crossroads they'd be willing to move it would likely take less time than dealing with abandoned ones whose claims are still there. Either we find a good plot for them nearby and ask the admins to move them or we can start a community project to rebuild it there. That way the builds remain on the server in some capacity while allowing the crossroads to get fixed up so it's more newcomer friendly and easier to navigate. Until we can actually do something with the crossroads itself we could start with preparing some good building spots in the general area and make sure the roads are streamlined there. The lights at crossroads are a block too low to keep from taking damage on horseback if you clip them so roads in general could use some refurbishing to make sure they're entirely horse friendly and easy to navigate.

There also just alot of empty unclaimed buildings too, lets not forget about that

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the sake of continuity, here's what I put in the other thread:

"It's not going to be something people "need" as everything people need has long since been built. Instead it could be something useful but unique. I haven't really thought about it until I read through this thread, but the first thing that comes to mind is something like the grand exchange from Runescape- essentially a massive  item pawn shop.

It would go something like this: Do you run a farm? great! sell those five stacks of pumpkins in exchange for something else of similar value, and those items will be put into an item bank- ready for the next player to come along and exchange something else for said pumpkins- and so on. Not sure how something like that would work, as I can barely make a piston door system- but that's just the first idea that came to mind that's really stuck for me. Who knows, maybe the admins will take pity on us poor mortals and use some magical finagling to make it work. There could be a massive exchange hall and everything- I can imagine something like that could be both very cool and generally improve life on the server.

I saw someone talking about an amusement park recently, maybe something like that would work? A few days ago i was thinking about an elytra racetrack with obstcles to dodge and whatnot. Whatever it is, It's going to have to be something unique but with value."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Xeredek said:

For the sake of continuity, here's what I put in the other thread:

"It's not going to be something people "need" as everything people need has long since been built. Instead it could be something useful but unique. I haven't really thought about it until I read through this thread, but the first thing that comes to mind is something like the grand exchange from Runescape- essentially a massive  item pawn shop.

It would go something like this: Do you run a farm? great! sell those five stacks of pumpkins in exchange for something else of similar value, and those items will be put into an item bank- ready for the next player to come along and exchange something else for said pumpkins- and so on. Not sure how something like that would work, as I can barely make a piston door system- but that's just the first idea that came to mind that's really stuck for me. Who knows, maybe the admins will take pity on us poor mortals and use some magical finagling to make it work. There could be a massive exchange hall and everything- I can imagine something like that could be both very cool and generally improve life on the server.

I saw someone talking about an amusement park recently, maybe something like that would work? A few days ago i was thinking about an elytra racetrack with obstcles to dodge and whatnot. Whatever it is, It's going to have to be something unique but with value."

I like this pawnshop idea

and it is possible

idk what else could be made or done right this second, but id love to help if i can. 

 

---

 

i just wish there was some way to have admins help us, or have a vote, cause i feel like something like what land in the crossroads is used or not or is changed or not.

i asked admins about it once but they want us to make our own decisions on this matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, for anyone that bring up the borders of the Crossroads, i do think the Crossroads/Center of the map-ish area.

Should be a little bit better "shown" cause right now its unknown if the crossroads go for 100's of blocks, or 1000's.

If that's cleared up it may help with plans and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick 2 (3) cents - like Bunyan above I need to give this a little more thought at the moment.

I like the idea of some sort of goods area. One of the main draws of the current Crossroads for me - especially in my early days - was the basement of the Minion Stew where you could get tools, food and the odd misc item when in need. As far as I know, we have no general building supplies exchange/public storage anywhere on the server. As someone who just exhausted his supplies piling many double chests of dirt and gravel into the ocean, I could see a use for that. It could be underground, so no need to alter/move any surface claims for it.

Secondly, perhaps such a place could be used to transport items to that are now "abandoned in the wilds". I am currently exploring a lot, and every so often I come across a chest and furnaces in the middle of nowhere, that are unclaimed but still have some useful items. While I do not advocate theft, I'd have less problems with taking these supplies if the items were moved to a place where the original owner could easily restock if they do come back.

There also seems to be some discussion on preserving old builds. Between "keep" and "replace", there is also an option of "repurpose". I'm sure there must be abandoned buildings that could be used for something else while keeping their structure intact (?).

1 hour ago, Multigk said:

Also, for anyone that bring up the borders of the Crossroads, i do think the Crossroads/Center of the map-ish area.  Should be a little bit better "shown" cause right now its unknown if the crossroads go for 100's of blocks, or 1000's. If that's cleared up it may help with plans and such.

As the resident map enthousiast, I could try and map the current area with labels on what's-what, and post that here, if that might be useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been active in trying to improve or change the crossroads for quite some time. The plot I gave to Godaishu for the gold farm and his house directly across from it have been given to me. Yet I have not touched either. I also have permission at the inn at crossroads but have not even bothered to remove the easter decorations. I have come to the position that most people rarely go the crossroads and even new players are not directed there for any reason. While it was the focal point of the server in the first month or so it has long since stopped being so. Many players refuse to even go there because of the fps drops/lag involved. Improving the roads is not a terrible idea but what is the goal here? The majority of players who built around the xroads no longer play but does that mean we should remove the builds the did? _Non_ formerly Nonsense has a large plot at the crossroads he is still active yet he almost never goes there. It is the nature of the game you build something and spend large amounts of time there but eventually it is finished and you move somewhere else to build. As to the theme park @All_Of_My_Nope and several others of us were building one near the crossroads. It is the unfinished mountain next to the cake plaza (The statue holding the cake with mob heads as the floor) My point here is that there are many abandoned builds on the server but until there is no more space to build we should just leave them. Perfect example would be Naf-Naf's place it is never brought up. It has the first traders on the server and is very close to spawn half the distance or less than crossroads. Yet no one is asking to build there. I cant remember seeing Naf-Naf online since the server opened other than to escort Gopher about on tour. Even the roads at crossroads are fine being left alone the majority of  active players use other means to travel. Chiefly elytra flight or the nether highway. At this point I say we just enshrine the entire area of crossroads as a museum of Minionlands past and move on to active builds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tirius said:

Just a quick 2 (3) cents - like Bunyan above I need to give this a little more thought at the moment.

I like the idea of some sort of goods area. One of the main draws of the current Crossroads for me - especially in my early days - was the basement of the Minion Stew where you could get tools, food and the odd misc item when in need. As far as I know, we have no general building supplies exchange/public storage anywhere on the server. As someone who just exhausted his supplies piling many double chests of dirt and gravel into the ocean, I could see a use for that. It could be underground, so no need to alter/move any surface claims for it.

Secondly, perhaps such a place could be used to transport items to that are now "abandoned in the wilds". I am currently exploring a lot, and every so often I come across a chest and furnaces in the middle of nowhere, that are unclaimed but still have some useful items. While I do not advocate theft, I'd have less problems with taking these supplies if the items were moved to a place where the original owner could easily restock if they do come back.

There also seems to be some discussion on preserving old builds. Between "keep" and "replace", there is also an option of "repurpose". I'm sure there must be abandoned buildings that could be used for something else while keeping their structure intact (?).

As the resident map enthousiast, I could try and map the current area with labels on what's-what, and post that here, if that might be useful.

We have a map at crossroads, im talking about straight up dictating what the edge is, what the border of the crossroads it.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ShawnBoucher said:

I have been active in trying to improve or change the crossroads for quite some time. The plot I gave to Godaishu for the gold farm and his house directly across from it have been given to me. Yet I have not touched either. I also have permission at the inn at crossroads but have not even bothered to remove the easter decorations. I have come to the position that most people rarely go the crossroads and even new players are not directed there for any reason. While it was the focal point of the server in the first month or so it has long since stopped being so. Many players refuse to even go there because of the fps drops/lag involved. Improving the roads is not a terrible idea but what is the goal here? The majority of players who built around the xroads no longer play but does that mean we should remove the builds the did? _Non_ formerly Nonsense has a large plot at the crossroads he is still active yet he almost never goes there. It is the nature of the game you build something and spend large amounts of time there but eventually it is finished and you move somewhere else to build. As to the theme park @All_Of_My_Nope and several others of us were building one near the crossroads. It is the unfinished mountain next to the cake plaza (The statue holding the cake with mob heads as the floor) My point here is that there are many abandoned builds on the server but until there is no more space to build we should just leave them. Perfect example would be Naf-Naf's place it is never brought up. It has the first traders on the server and is very close to spawn half the distance or less than crossroads. Yet no one is asking to build there. I cant remember seeing Naf-Naf online since the server opened other than to escort Gopher about on tour. Even the roads at crossroads are fine being left alone the majority of  active players use other means to travel. Chiefly elytra flight or the nether highway. At this point I say we just enshrine the entire area of crossroads as a museum of Minionlands past and move on to active builds. 

I dont think MOST people are asking to get rid of awesome buildings, statues, and landmarks, but crossroads is also full of stuff like unclaimed farms, and buildings that are simple and unchanged so long they are now unclaimed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has to go through the crossroads to reach my claim by overland travel and who goes there for other reasons, I'd say there's reason to improve them, as well as some other roads I've seen around. Travelling around those places isn't very convenient and you pretty much get lost unless you know exactly where you're going.

 

About the pawn shop thing, I've been of the opinion that a larger trading spot than the two spawn chests somewhere nearby would be helpful. Otherwise an assortment of themes shops and such with public chests for various types of supplies players would either need or want to give away with directions to it would be helpful. A public farm so new players can get a reliable source of food the time it takes to settle into their chosen building spot would be a good thing to have as well if we don't have that yet. Those things don't really have to be built at the crossroads. We could put them somewhere a convenient distance from spawn for ease of access, as well as pens or stables so we can finally get all the horses, llamas etc to stop cluttering the roads.

 

For crossroads specifically it's been suggested that the crossroads committee get reformed so Vault and whoever else is active with a crossroads claim can collaborate to make it more appealing to visit, whether that means redoing some roads, repurposing existing builds or whatever ends up happening. Worst case scenario things can be built around crossroads rather than in it if you really need something in the area that isn't already there.

 

Some of the kingdoms are probably formatted like this but large spaces that function as community builds that change as people with claims there come and go would be cool and keep things fresh. Not necessarily something for the crossroads but just an idea for a type of build that would remain active and appealing to visit for the community at large.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2017 at 8:55 AM, Zantharan said:

Xeredek and I have been thinking that after the one year anniversary of the sever, any old abandoned builds could be recycled and the land can be opened up to new players. I think that this could help bring in new people, not to mention it could clean up the aesthetic of the crossroads

I just realized we should probably clarify: we don't mean full on scorched earth or anything.

Larger/Historic/ Aesthetically pleasing builds should be left alone whether they are claimed or not- we're talking tiny shacks and long unfinished builds. The sorts of stuff that most people wouldn't have a problem with being recycled. The idea being that the nice builds would stay, and the stuff people tend to mentally block anyway out will be freed up for more development, assuming their owners haven't been on in ages. If this actually happened, it would ideally be a server wide "clean up".

Not precisely related to the current topic (I seem to have a habit of that) but since Zanth brought it up I figured I should clarify- so that people don't get the wrong idea.

Just a bit of an idea we've been considering, but it doesn't really exist beyond idle thought yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tirius said:

As the resident map enthousiast, I could try and map the current area with labels on what's-what, and post that here, if that might be useful.

Certainly wouldn't hurt if you're up for it. I'm of the opinion that actually updated maps would go a long way to making the crossroads more traversable. The road situation is unfortunate, but much like an actual historic city not much can be done at this point.

Heck, if you're up for it it's the ingame posted maps that would reap the most reward if updated, since very few people seem to use things like Journeymap. If you got permission to do so updating them would go quite a long way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Xeredek said:

Certainly wouldn't hurt if you're up for it. I'm of the opinion that actually updated maps would go a long way to making the crossroads more traversable. The road situation is unfortunate, but much like an actual historic city not much can be done at this point.

Heck, if you're up for it it's the ingame posted maps that would reap the most reward if updated, since very few people seem to use things like Journeymap. If you got permission to do so updating them would go quite a long way.

 

I mena i think Vice has a huge map at the center of crossroads. 

Could help not to make new maps, but re-new the old ones with new data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The roads issue is more than just the maps. I've had Journeymaps for quite a while and while it's helpful for finding my way it can't really do anything about the clutter and redundant roads that make it hard to follow without repeatedly consulting a map or memorizing the path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Starling said:

The roads issue is more than just the maps. I've had Journeymaps for quite a while and while it's helpful for finding my way it can't really do anything about the clutter and redundant roads that make it hard to follow without repeatedly consulting a map or memorizing the path.

agreed. maps are there already, we dont need more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps we should build a trading hub(Like Xeredek suggested) in a new location, somewhere  to the east, since it looks like there isn't much built out there. Ideally this would avoid tearing down any crossroads builds and allow for newcomers to build in a "central" area without squeezing them into the crossroads. I also feel that rebuilding the crossroads is appealing because there is a warp there, I think for this idea to work, there needs to be a warp to the trading hub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zantharan said:

Perhaps we should build a trading hub(Like Xeredek suggested) in a new location, somewhere  to the east, since it looks like there isn't much built out there. Ideally this would avoid tearing down any crossroads builds and allow for newcomers to build in a "central" area without squeezing them into the crossroads. I also feel that rebuilding the crossroads is appealing because there is a warp there, I think for this idea to work, there needs to be a warp to the trading hub.

See, even if its not built in the crossroads, I think there needs to be some agreement on what should be done with unclaimed long since abandoned half builds.

I understand keeping bad ass buildings and statues.

I agree with the building of a trading hub, but if its away from the crossroads and its warp, then it will just become a place to hang out of its own, it wouldn't be a crossroads build, it would be its own thing. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing i think would be cool.

More markers on the official server map for cool group builds or something we have the server/forums vote on.

Also again i state, looking at the map of the server.... Where does crossroads start and end? some may think that this is a dumb or un-needed question, but if you look at the map crossroads could be the size of a continent to bigger or smaller, there's so much stuff in the center of the map now lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Multigk said:

See, even if its not built in the crossroads, I think there needs to be some agreement on what should be done with unclaimed long since abandoned half builds.

I understand keeping bad ass buildings and statues.

I agree with the building of a trading hub, but if its away from the crossroads and its warp, then it will just become a place to hang out of its own, it wouldn't be a crossroads build, it would be its own thing. 

 

 

I think you're right, that doesnt really solve the problem of what to do about unfinished or problem builds, I proposed it mainly as a solution to keep from stepping on any toes of the residents of the xroads who dont want any changes. I started a new thread for the trading hub if anybody wants to contribute: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Multigk said:

agreed. maps are there already, we dont need more.

At the very least old old outdated maps should be taken elsewhere, because they don't help anyone in their current state aside from further confusing someone trying to use them.

Maps aren't the main problem of course, but like I said before- it couldn't hurt if Tirtus wanted to do something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Multigk said:

Also again i state, looking at the map of the server.... Where does crossroads start and end? some may think that this is a dumb or un-needed question, but if you look at the map crossroads could be the size of a continent to bigger or smaller, there's so much stuff in the center of the map now lol. 

The *official* area of the crossroads is the cluster of buildings built on the two roads that intersect at the warp point- but then everyone built around it so the borders blurred.

The short version of what people typically mean is the general area around the warp point, there's no definite border anymore- but just the general neighborhood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...