Gopher's Minions
GrogStache

Gaming PC possibility?

Hi all,

So, there's a decent chance that my workplace will be upgrading its computers (for reasons unknown, everything here works fine) and that there MAY be a free Dell Optiplex 3020 in my future. IF that's the case, I'm wondering what sort of work I could do on it to make it a decent gaming rig. I totally understand that this PC will never be a dream computer, but being that I'm currently gaming on a laptop with a 1.8GHz processor and i believe a 1 gig dedicated GPU, this thing might still be an upgrade if I play my cards right.

some stats on the PC in question:

Intel core i5-4590 CPU @3.30 GHz

8GB DDR3 RAM (possibly maxed out)

64 bit OS

No dedicated GPU, but it does have the slot for one (pretty sure, lol)

And, it's a full-sized tower, not the small form factor type. That's literally all I know. Super assuming I'll need to upgrade (or you know, install in the first pace) a GPU and power supply.

Any thoughts? Is this a fools errand, even given that the PC would be free?

Hi Shawn,

Will do. It's still just a probable thing anyway. I think they're literally getting rid of it because it doesn't have wifi. It's still online all the time through a wired connection to a wifi range extender, but they're convinced that this is a problem. gopherMoo

8 Gb of memory is not very much - im feeling it myself almost every day

and yes, SSD is a good idea

but GPU certainly comes first

Edited by Arjy Yu

Hi Arjy,

I totally hear you. I believe I have the same amount of RAM in my laptop. I'm very certain that this won't be an amazing Master Race affair. Just kinda seeing what the possibilities are, given the "head start" of the current PC. If I go for used parts via Ebay, I might only have to dole out a couple hundred for the GPU, SSD, and power supply.

But then again, I'm new to this. If I do all that, are there potential bottlenecks? like, if I go for a GTX 950, does the RAM or the, I dunno motherboard, throttle the build's capabilities?

It is not a bad machine. I would have specs handy when buying upgrades or just take the whole thing in and ask if such and such is compatible. Other than that I would upgrade the memory and put in a GTX video card (1080 maybe?). Ask a techy if it is compatible with VR if you want. I used to have a computer shop back in the '90s. Things have changed a bit since then but I still build my own computers. Only problem I have found building my own is that it is a pain when you buy a bad part.

Hey Grogstache,

Don't buy anything until you look inside... I believe the case and MOBO only allow 1 PCIe port and it's a slim and half height size.   If that's the case you will be very limited in video card selection and there will not be any GTX 1080 or 980  or 670 in your future.

But it all depends on the size of the case (Small form Factor or normal tower)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/NAKED_GI_JOE/Dell_OptiPlex_3020_01_zpsqt9iivdc.jpg

19 minutes ago, Cryzeteur said:

It is not a bad machine. I would have specs handy when buying upgrades or just take the whole thing in and ask if such and such is compatible. Other than that I would upgrade the memory and put in a GTX video card (1080 maybe?). Ask a techy if it is compatible with VR if you want. I used to have a computer shop back in the '90s. Things have changed a bit since then but I still build my own computers. Only problem I have found building my own is that it is a pain when you buy a bad part.

Hey Cryzeteur, thanks for the info! I'm not even sure that I can upgrade the RAM, TBH. I'd have to open te sucker up to see what's to be seen.

3 minutes ago, Flyddon said:

Hey Grogstache,

Don't buy anything until you look inside... I believe the case and MOBO only allow 1 PCIe port and it's a slim and half height size.   If that's the case you will be very limited in video card selection and there will not be any GTX 1080 or 980  or 670 in your future.

But it all depends on the size of the case (Small form Factor or normal tower)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/NAKED_GI_JOE/Dell_OptiPlex_3020_01_zpsqt9iivdc.jpg

Hey Flyddon,

It's the larger of the two in your picture. I'm staring at it atm, daydreaming as my entire office left me here alone today. woot. No idea what it looks like inside, except for theoretical info from the video I posted. I'll definitely not actually buy until I can take a gander in there.

Ok  cool if it's the bigger of the 2 then you can at least install a full size video card, if you can get the model # and spec of it and go to PCPartPickers.com you can play around with what would  work and not work.   if you can get to the command prompt   then follow these instructions and find out exactly what MoBo you have and then go to PCPartPickers.com.

(this is for Win7)

If you’re comfortable using the command line, you can easily check a variety of motherboard and hardware stats using the handy Windows Management Instrumentation Command-line (WMIC) a command-line interface for Microsoft’s powerful WMI tool.

With the WMIC we can entry the query baseboard to check motherboard stats and then additional specific query modifiers like get Manufacturer, Model, Name, PartNumber, slotlayout, serialnumber, poweredon to get more detailed information about the motherboard. Let’s check our motherboard’s manufacturer, model number, and serial number using WMIC.

Open up the command prompt in Windows via either the run dialog (WIN+R) or via the search in the start menu; enter cmd.exe into either, no need to run it as an administrator. Enter the following text at the command line.

wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber

Hi Grogstache love how you greet us when responding first time i have seen that here :) SSD yes the speed difference is pretty noticeable. As to never having built a PC I have built the one I am on and I am techless and relatively stupid. :) Meaning the technology has advanced to compensate. It is pretty straight forward now and simple. Watch a couple build videos on YouTube and you will see this. I found it to be only a minor stress and quite fun. Nice to have a machine you actually put parts into yourself. 

11 hours ago, Slushy_Bucket said:

If you have admin rights on the PC you could get speccy or everest to see what or how mant PCI-E ports it has, im guessing you have 2 4GB sticks or ram, so you may need to buy some, By the sounds it will be DDR3, 

I think you are right. It is a pretty good machine already...

On 7/24/2017 at 5:30 PM, Flyddon said:

Let us know , Let us Know !   Come one everyone chat with me  Let us know, Let us..  ok fine.  :mellow:

Hahaha, I know right? Sorry for the delay. I was out of town for a week.

Unfortunately, I have bad news. In a stroke of "kindness" my bosses gave me the computer in question as my new work station when they gave their associate the fancy new $1,700 PC. They even installed an SSD, which super upgrades what my office PC had been. The bad news is that the PC I had been using, which was working fine and had dual monitors already set up, is NOT what you'd call gaming potential. As of now, even that PC is earmarked for a new employee AND they gutted the other (crap anyway) PCs to make my old rig "better".

Sooooo... no hand-me-down PC for me :(. Ii was looking forward to messing around with my first (partial) build too.

ok   So I called up your company and talked to your boss he said it is ok with him, that if one night this week you want to take the new PC ($1700) that they gave   BY MISTAKE to the other associate, if you wanted to just take that one home with you... after closing, that would be ok.  Just don't let the your coworker see you do it... he would get his feelings hurt.

But yea, he told me it was alright for you to take it.

So there all taken care of for you :) .  Let us know how the rebuild goes.

Dude, I wish that were the case... though none of these PCs are worth what the firm paid for them. Not that we need dedicated GPUs for our work, but you'd think these would have them at that price point. The boss paid $1900 for hers and I can't see HOW it could have cost more than $800. Maybe software, but uh... eww if that's the case.  I think I'll go back to musing about building my own PC with a cool case mod concept. Basically, I want a wall-mounted Millennium Falcon. Working on how that wall-mounting part would happen still... but that's a different post :P