Gopher's Minions

Creation Club : Let's talk about 'NOT Paid Mods'

I thought everything you have mentioned was already obvious...modders become freelance content creators who sell their time to make content for Bethesda. Like when a painter is commissioned to make a painting. The painting isn't his, it belongs to the one who paid for it.

This whole thing is basically just a fancy "We're Hiring!" advertisement.

The only difference being they don't have to do your taxes for you or give you benefits, lol. It's the Uber business model it seems.

Edited by Mechazawa

Well, Pete Hines said that they are not mods and they are not dlc... what should we call them then? If it was dlc we would have if free with the season pass :P

Also Elianora seems to have joined the Creation Club and she said on Twitter "I will continue to make free mods", so that give us another clue, maybe?

Anyway, I'm positive about this new thing, whatever it is. Maybe it was the only way they found to bring good mods to consoles, who knows.

Edited by Sebngarde

I still think they will be getting a "cut" of the mods; it won't be contract work exactly. Perhaps some hybrid system of payment for completion, and a small incentive with each purchase/download. Even a tiered system of payment, with increasing percentages after a certain number of purchases. Who knows.

I'm curious though, with Bethesda taking the responsibility for support, if this means the potential for third-party extensions (Script extenders?) being available on consoles. Third-party control seemed to be the major sticking point for Microsoft and Sony. Probably not, but worth pausing to give some thought on given how much of a game changer (literally and metaphorically!) that would be.

9 hours ago, Osi said:

Perhaps some hybrid system of payment for completion, and a small incentive with each purchase/download.

That would be strange; because I would think its not up to the mod developer to advertise the mod; Beth is acting as a publisher in this situation. If they made it so you get more of a cut from more sales of the mod then modders who are already popular are the ones who would be getting a bigger cut; and those modders who are not popular or are even unknown would get less of a cut; which would de-incentivize unknown people from getting involved; unless they had epic marketing skills.

If it were me; types of mods would have different tiers and each tier has a different price. You make an armor you get X* dollars. You make a new continent you get Y* dollars. Perhaps with a raise in that price on an individual level based on past performance in development. You consistently meet milestones and produce good content that requires little internal dev cycles; you get paid more. This way modders are paid based on their technical skills not their social skills.

*Price subject to change based on extraordinary circumstances.

Edited by Mechazawa
1 hour ago, Mechazawa said:

If they made it so you get more of a cut from more sales of the mod then modders who are already popular are the ones who would be getting a bigger cut; and those modders who are not popular or are even unknown would get less of a cut; which would de-incentivize unknown people from getting involved;

An "A" rated actor gets 20 million for a leading role in a AAA movie and a stand in might get 200 dollars. That is the way of the world. I don't think it would be any different in mod creation. If you are good and the gaming community knows you you can ask for a lot more money and if you are just coming up in the world of mods you need to earn a reputation before you can earn big bucks.

Yes, but an A rated actor gets more money because of his acting skills, not his popularity (although they tend to go hand in hand). And his history in film proves his skills when the director is looking for someone. It is the same for coders. This is why you have to have a portfolio; not an instagram with 200k followers.

The more you guys talk about this the more questions it brings up. Bethesda Softworks is a publisher, so they will probably handle the contracts the same way any publisher handles book deals. What is confusing is the support. Apparently Bethesda Softworks will set up a studio to review the creations, polish them and turn them into publishable material. I do not think this will be Bethesda Game Studios.

Edited by Cryzeteur

It brings me back to EA and their Sims Store, I wonder if EA makes all of the content or if its a similar system where third parties can make content for EA. I can't find this info on the internet (though I haven't done an indepth look). I see this thing with Beth in the same light.