Gopher's Minions

Skyrim & Fallout 4 PAID MODS : The Creation Club

Measured response that I find myself agreeing with. If Beth curates in such a way where they encourage every individual mod only contains one gun, the free stuff will just snuff it out. The Nexus is just too strong and user friendly.

But if, for instance, Beth works with developers like Obsidian to get expansion quality content into their games, I'd be more open to the idea. If the payment model is fair to the consumer and the Creators... I really need details before I pick a side of this fence.

Not sure how I feel about Bethesda themselves using the service. That really feels like micro-transactions.

It is paid for modding  look at 02:44   at the bottom right of the screen, it says "PURCHASE credits".  There may be other ways to get credits but it is pay for, also the Bethesda folks getting involve with mods is just an attempt to get mod made for PS and Xbox, I am sure they see that market not fully tapped.

If they go with DLC size "mods" then that could work, I paid/donated $5 for Vilja and would do it again for something that added that much more play time and fun.

Nexus is not going anywhere so I am not too worried, however, if Bethesda makes a move with the CK to limit or regulate the use of that in someway.... then there is an issue. (and the death of Mods)

Edited by Flyddon

Hi, new here and my first time to post, my idea following Gopher's excellent video: Release 'packs' (similar to the Wasteland Workshop and Contraptions DLCs) for example 'armour and outfits', 'weapons', 'companions and followers' Pay ONCE (at a sensible price) for that 'creation pack' (a large curated set of related and relevant mods) and then any other small mods or other similar content is added to that one individual pack as they are released as free updates. This would make so much easier than having to trawl for individual items. You would then be presented with a list of the items in your pack and you then select which ones to download. Larger quest mods like Enderal or even Skywind could be individual purchases (giving those tireless modders more resources for making these mods even better). Something like Mart's Mutant Mods would be a one time thing priced cheap but again, later additions would be added without having to pay again and hopefully prevent the dreaded micro-transactions. Having these packs regularly updated would also allow Bethesda to keep promoting them ("This week meet 'Inigo' free for anyone owning the companion and followers pack!"). Something Like New Vegas bounties could also be a one time purchase with new chapters added later as they become available. Just an idea so please be kind;)

I don't know. They couldn't afford to pay me for modding. When I was working I had a very good salary. So what are they going to do? I can't imagine any really good authors will feel the compensation is worth binding themselves to Bethesda. If they were just accepting current authors and saying "we like such and such mod you made may we buy it. We'll give you $1000 and royalties." Then I could see it happening. But if they say, "You applied to do contracted work for us and we will pay $1000 if your work is acceptable." Then I don't think so. Pressure is the death of creativity.

I have a question that perhaps someone here can answer. It pertains mainly to consoles and their limitations with respect to a PC. My question is: can a console - especially a PS4 - with its limitations in memory and in particular scripting (a la F4SE / SKSE), run the large, heavily modified quest mods like Helgen Reborn, Moonpath to Elsweyr, and Falskaar? I'm assuming total conversions like Enderal are completely off the table for consoles.

Gopher states that he thinks the "positive" (i.e., non money-grabbing sleazebag) path forward for Bethesda - unless the "Creation Club" will be solely for armor and weapon mods - is for DLC-sized modding, of sufficient scope and quality that people would actually be willing to pay for them. I don't dispute that idea, but I'm unclear if it's even possible for consoles. And I feel that Bethesda views the "Creation Club" market as lying almost exclusively in the console space. Compatibility is a useful sell, no doubt, but for simple mods (in complexity, not in quality), where load order really doesn't matter, the "less sophisticated" PC user - one who doesn't use NMM or the like - can simply use Steam to handle their mods. 

So it seems to me, that the very market that Bethesda is reaching for - consoles - precludes the sort of large, in-depth quest mods that are necessary to justify their (non-zero) price.

Comments?

5 minutes ago, PSquared said:

I have a question that perhaps someone here can answer. It pertains mainly to consoles and their limitations with respect to a PC. My question is: can a console - especially a PS4 - with its limitations in memory and in particular scripting (a la F4SE / SKSE), run the large, heavily modified quest mods like Helgen Reborn, Moonpath to Elsweyr, and Falskaar? I'm assuming total conversions like Enderal are completely off the table for consoles.

Gopher states that he thinks the "positive" (i.e., non money-grabbing sleazebag) path forward for Bethesda - unless the "Creation Club" will be solely for armor and weapon mods - is for DLC-sized modding, of sufficient scope and quality that people would actually be willing to pay for them. I don't dispute that idea, but I'm unclear if it's even possible for consoles. And I feel that Bethesda views the "Creation Club" market as lying almost exclusively in the console space. Compatibility is a useful sell, no doubt, but for simple mods (in complexity, not in quality), where load order really doesn't matter, the "less sophisticated" PC user - one who doesn't use NMM or the like - can simply use Steam to handle their mods. 

So it seems to me, that the very market that Bethesda is reaching for - consoles - precludes the sort of large, in-depth quest mods that are necessary to justify their (non-zero) price.

Comments?

It's possible certainly. The memory limitations really shouldn't be an issue, conversions would eat dat storage tho '.' I assume scripting would fall under bethesda aid. Hmm.. It could cause issues with other mods trying to use the same areas for example, especially if the mods are treated as dlc.. '_' Yeeeah, I'm really not sure how they can handle this.. Maybe they'll make compatibility a focus.. 

It is basically a perpetual DLC site, I agree that for a hat or a weapon noone in their right mind would pay for them, lets just hope bethesda dont get lazy on it and become lackluster in future game content that will not fly.

I would have gladly paid for the likes of enderal or falskaar, the shear amount of work put into both is astounding as well as beyond skyrim and tamriel rebuilt for morrowind.

There will always be chancers trying to scam the system with a shitty little mod but the community at large will stamp it out by not paying.

The most important thing here that seems to be overlooked is this: the massive amazing mods that people were releasing with only the faint hope of a donation, just imagine what people will do when they know they are gonna get paid for it.

Done right it is a positive step for the community done wrong it is going to be a huge dent to Bethesdas reputation.

Obligitory joke: beth doing QA, the mods will all be buggy and crash all the time hur hur

4 hours ago, Mechazawa said:

Bethesda made Dawnguard and Dragonborn without a script extender..so I am sure modders can too.

Bethesda also has access to all their creation tools, which we only have a fraction of. Things like Custom creature rigging and skeletons. Which make creating new creatures and animations to be used by said creatures easier. So the Script Extenders are our way of trying to match up to what Bethesda has. Would modding be easier if we had everything Beth uses, maybe maybe not. As they likely have a few third party programs to import or export models and rigging.

8 hours ago, PSquared said:

Because the Creation Club add-ons will go through Bethesda revamping, they will run without the SE and run what memory is needed at the moment. Modders do not have the tools to create these mods. Bethesda does. So the mods you mention will not run on consoles, but Bethesda could revamp them to do so. 

15 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

Because the Creation Club add-ons will go through Bethesda revamping, they will run without the SE and run what memory is needed at the moment. Modders do not have the tools to create these mods. Bethesda does. So the mods you mention will not run on consoles, but Bethesda could revamp them to do so. 

That's a very good point. And, as mentioned by Mechazawa and VATROU, previous "actual" DLCs made by Bethesda obviously work on consoles. Bethesda don't need no stinkin' script extenders - they have the source code!

Still, I wonder how the "Creators" will do development of mods they don't have the tools to create. 

2 hours ago, PSquared said:

Still, I wonder how the "Creators" will do development of mods they don't have the tools to create. 

Excellent point. Obviously Bethesda will have to support SE. Or something better.

Maybe approved Creators will be given proprietary software and become at home devs...

Edited by Cryzeteur
10 hours ago, Slushy_Bucket said:

3rd party devs will almost certainly get the beth tools.

"Smaller" devs may get them if beth thinks that they are skillfull enough.

However this is likely the last game running on this version of this engine, so they may, when approved for acceptance to the club, give everyone full dev tools.

I hadn't really thought about this being the last game on the Creation Engine...

But then I have talked about the new engine many times. They are bringing out Fallout 4 in VR... I wonder what engine they are using. I have called it Creation Engine II, but I don't know if that was a place holder name or the name they are using.

Creation Engine 64 is not really a new engine. Same engine, new skin. Is the VR version the new engine or just a new VR skin? 

Creation Engine is clearly inferior to the REDengine 3. Bethesda needs to really change the approach to many things, such as facial expression. REDengine 4 will be amazing.

AI can simplify the creation of code that is pretty much bug free. I hope the next engine is not just a new skin on the old engine.

Edited by Cryzeteur